Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I could tell you, of course, but then I'd have to kill you; and then there wouldn't have been much point in my telling you.

And it might make a mess.
You can put down plastic sheeting. I think the budget will allow it.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210107_210016_compress62.jpg

What did I do wrong?

Was it something I said?

Who did I offend?

Was I too flippant?

Did I mention something political?

Genuinely went through all of these options, before...

...realising I was still using a VPN app tried out this morning...

This post submitted under, 'Known Issues' and just a note to alert - took ages to figure out.

No smileys, because it wasn't funny!

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
... Genuinely went through all of these options, before...
...realising I was still using a VPN app tried out this morning...
This post submitted under, 'Known Issues' and just a note to alert - took ages to figure out.
No smileys, because it wasn't funny!
VPNs anonymize you by allowing you to surf the Web in disguise (as operating from an IP address other than your actual one). It's a convenient service for folks who wish to operate anonymously - including hackers and spammers.

If you arrive at our gates in the guise of a known bad guy, you will be treated as the bad guy you appear to be.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
VPNs anonymize you by allowing you to surf the Web in disguise (as operating from an IP address other than your actual one). It's a convenient service for folks who wish to operate anonymously - including hackers and spammers.
Thank you! I didn't quite realise this - it was a trial to access a music video from outside the UK and prohibited unless resident in that country.

It worked, however, I forgot it was still active.

Genuinely thought I had been banned!

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yup, I have read posts where the writer has looked online for somewhere to share a weird experience with people who'll listen without judging. Also, unless people are really uncreative with their usernames/avatars it's anonymous.

I've been here nearly from the start and found the board after searching for the magazine.
I was just reading a poston this forum on my phone in bed, i moved and the screen went from portrait to landscape, nothing unusual there, what was unusual was that a photo of an old football game appeared under one of the posts that definately isnt anything to do with the post and definately isnt there in portrait layout
Screenshot_20210114-230427.jpg

This is what i saw when reading the posts when it went into landscape this is what appeared
Screenshot_20210114-230501.jpg

If you have a thread whete this is more relavent please move it, im now wondering how many other hidden photos there are on here

Sillyhuron

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I've been banned from this site at work due, I assume,
to my Trump comments. Ahahaha.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
That's not a hidden photo. It's a photo in McAvennie's signature block, and it's 'there' all the time.

Modest images - even photos - are permitted in members' signature blocks, but few elect to embed images in their sigs. Sig images tend to take up display space for no good reason beyond being decorative.

Its 'surfacing' must have something to do with your display sizing or settings, combined with where the display was 'anchored' (e.g., via cursor location) within the webpage when you shifted between display motifs.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been banned from this site at work due, I assume, to my Trump comments. Ahahaha.
???? ... Do you mean:

(a) Your workplace has blocked you from accessing the Forteana Forums, or ...
(b) The Forteana Forums is blocking you when you arrive here from your workplace?

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I just found a very perculier image right here in these halliwed halls, i was reading a post in the 'childhood memories thread on my phone whilst laying in bed, i shifted positions my phone switched from portrait to landscape, nothing unusual there, what was unusual was that a photo of an old football match appearded at the end of a post that had no relavence to the post or the thread and is only visable when viewed in landscape
This is the view in portrait
Screenshot_20210114-230427.jpg

And this is the image with the hidden photo when viewed in landscape
Screenshot_20210114-230501.jpg

Now im wondering how many other hidden photos there are here

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
See explanation above ...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been banned from this site at work due, I assume,
to my Trump comments. Ahahaha.
A) No you haven't. If you're blocked, it's a security issue.
B) We announce all bans. Always.
C) I can't recall ever seeing these Trump comments!

Sillyhuron

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I'll have to check tomorrow, but it definetly says "banned", and I can't access this site.. Every other site is accesssible .I'm assuming it's my workplace blocking me. My comments were regarding a friend who was a supporter of the riot plus a like on someone elses remarks

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll have to check tomorrow, but it definetly says "banned", and I can't access this site.. Every other site is accesssible .I'm assuming it's my workplace blocking me. My comments were regarding a friend who was a supporter of the riot plus a like on someone elses remarks
It's almost certainly a security issue.

Although it unhelpfully says 'banned', it will mean that your I.P. address has been blocked--likely not specifically yours, but you've been caught in the net designed to stop baddies.

I can assure you it is not down to either your comments or your LIKES.

We will be in touch by message.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I just found a very perculier image right here in these halliwed halls, i was reading a post in the 'childhood memories thread on my phone whilst laying in bed, i shifted positions my phone switched from portrait to landscape, nothing unusual there, what was unusual was that a photo of an old football match appearded at the end of a post that had no relavence to the post or the thread and is only visable when viewed in landscape
This is the view in portrait
View attachment 33873
And this is the image with the hidden photo when viewed in landscape
View attachment 33874
Now im wondering how many other hidden photos there are here
That's McAvennie's avatar/sign off he always put at the bottom of his post (may not do so anymore) and his post followed the one from ben77. So I guess it would be only viewable in landscape.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That's McAvennie's avatar/sign off he always put at the bottom of his post (may not do so anymore) and his post followed the one from ben77. So I guess it would be only viewable in landscape.
Ok ty it was just weird that it only appeared in landscape lol

Gloucestrian

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Just tried to use a unicode emoticon in a post but it didn't make it to the published post. As XenForo supports full unicode I suspect this means that the forum's database tables are using an encoding that doesn't support full unicode, probably MySQL with utf8 - for full unicode support the tables should use utf8mb4. Maybe something to consider when next the forum is upgraded.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just tried to use a unicode emoticon in a post but it didn't make it to the published post. As XenForo supports full unicode I suspect this means that the forum's database tables are using an encoding that doesn't support full unicode, probably MySQL with utf8 - for full unicode support the tables should use utf8mb4. Maybe something to consider when next the forum is upgraded.
I have literally (and I mean literally) absolutely no idea what you're saying. I can read the words but my brain refuses to acknowledge or comprehend any of it! Maybe now isn't the time for me to retrain as a coder (like I know what a coder is!).

Gloucestrian

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Unicode: universal encoding scheme
Encoding: how the computer knows what character to display, encoding schemes ranging from the old Morse and Baudot to the newer like ASCII (well, it is newer than Baudot!) and UTF-8 all work on the same basic principles
Emoticon: a smiley character like this :)
Unicode emoticon: an emoticon that is actually just a plain text character

My last boss, who is a programmer, didn't know about utf8mb4 so don't feel too alienated. I apologise for this niche technical diversion, it was just something that I noticed and wanted to let our gracious hosts and our moderators know about.

I am a programmer myself, well most days anyway when I am not still pretending to be a graphic designer. It really isn't that hard, not like real work! 90% of programming work can be learned in less than a year, but that long tail 10% can take a lifetime but with seriously diminishing returns (sadly).

Last edited:

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Email notifications now seem to be arriving after a significant delay - although there's a chance they may have stopped completely now.

For example, the "OOPArts: Out Of Place Artefacts & Archaeological Erratics" thread has a new post by Mungoman at 11.51pm yesterday, the notification email arrived at 13.50 today. So that took about 14 hours to arrive.

And that's also the last I've received, nothing for a couple of hours which is unusual.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine are arriving almost in batches, similarly going an hour or three on between despite subbed threads being active in the meantime. I should probably know what's going on, but I don't.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Mine are arriving almost in batches, similarly going an hour or three on between despite subbed threads being active in the meantime. I should probably know what's going on, but I don't.
Guess what? I received the notif of your response almost instantly FFS. The bloody hamster is playing up again Mildred!

ComradeMalk

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
I get these emails saying there's a new comment on the Forum and I think someone has something to say about
COVID-19 / Coronavirus: Disinformation, Fake News & Scams

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
I get these emails saying there's a new comment on the Forum and I think someone has something to say about
COVID-19 / Coronavirus: Disinformation, Fake News & Scams
The threads on this forum have always had a tendency to be discursive and meandering - punctuated by digression, flights of fancy, hairpin tangents, videos of yodelling dogs and a whole lot of seriously atrocious puns.

Occasionally someone has to come along with some biscuits and a cattle-prod and corral us all back in the right direction - but, generally speaking, it's what breathes life into the place.

But. We digress.

Last edited:

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
It may have something to do with the covid travel restrictions - are the emails delivered via flight or land transport?:chuckle:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Generally speaking ... We (the Staff) have no ability to monitor issuances of outgoing emails (e.g., Notifications).

Notifications are automatically generated (with some apparently collated into batches) by the forum software (XenForo). XenForo does not handle the email issuances itself. It forwards the Notifications traffic to an outboard email package or service.

The only clues to outgoing email failures we see are server-side error messages relating to connection and / or handshaking interactions with the outboard email handler. Such error messages tell us there's been a breakdown in some interaction out toward the email handler, but it doesn't identify what sort(s) of messages were affected. Occasionally one of these error messages will cite a target email address associated with the failure, but even then we get no clues as to what sort of message was being sent.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I have literally (and I mean literally) absolutely no idea what you're saying. I can read the words but my brain refuses to acknowledge or comprehend any of it! Maybe now isn't the time for me to retrain as a coder (like I know what a coder is!).
:chuckle: Not just me then.