• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
CGI fights get boring pretty quickly.

Michael “Transformers” Bay would beg to differ. He’s made $4.3 billion off the premise that the future of the universe will be decided by giant robots travelling to Earth to punch each other in the head.

maximus otter

That is what I liked about the Bryan Cranston version, they tried to do more than just a monster slugfest.

That is what I liked about the Bryan Cranston version, they tried to do more than just a monster slugfest.

The issue there though is that the human characters weren't compelling, this new one tries to do more too, it just has the monsters on screen a lot more - and there's a lot more of them.

Guys, they're movies for children up to teenagers.. The effects are the thing. Once you've got used to them, what else is there? CGI fights get boring pretty quickly.

And pathetic manbabies.

Pathetic manbabies like me.

Michael “Transformers” Bay would beg to differ. He’s made $4.3 billion off the premise that the future of the universe will be decided by giant robots travelling to Earth to punch each other in the head.

maximus otter

I didn't say they weren't highly lucrative - clearly they are, that's why they get remade time & again ad infinitum.

I said boring. Have you ever watched a Transformers film? I suspect the audience tails somewhat off after the age of 19.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters: Monsters, monsters and more monsters. My favourite is the Elephant/Ape hybrid. The monsters while they may well lay waste to cities have clearer and more rational motivations than most of the humans in this film. Scientists and Eco-Terrorists intent on destroying the World in order to save it. Pesky teenagers circumvent seemingly non-existent security in both government and terrorist bases to foil plots.

But the monsters are the real stars. From Mothra being reborn under an ancient temple in China to Ghidron in Antarctica to Rodan in Mexico. Rodan the flying lizard battles with jet fighters, plucking pilots from cockpits and devouring them. Godzilla fights Ghidron in Antarctica but falling electric pylons in the background bring back memories of the original Gojira film. If you like monsters then you'll enjoy this creature-fest. 7/10.

I liked the Matthew Broderick Godzilla but, like most of these movies, the editors could have clipped 20-30 minutes of it and made a much better film. The 2014 version, meanwhile, was abysmal and beyond saving. My personal favorite is still the 1954 original. The movie is really about Japanese post-atomic angst and, as a metaphor for that, it is quite effective. I'm also a sucker for Raymond Burr. ;)

I liked the Matthew Broderick Godzilla but, like most of these movies, the editors could have clipped 20-30 minutes of it and made a much better film. The 2014 version, meanwhile, was abysmal and beyond saving. My personal favorite is still the 1954 original. The movie is really about Japanese post-atomic angst and, as a metaphor for that, it is quite effective. I'm also a sucker for Raymond Burr. ;)
Ah but have you seen the original Japanese version? The Americans took it and edited Raymond Burr in to make it appeal more to an American audience.

It's only been in recent years that the original Japanese version started making the rounds on various US channels. It's very good but I actually like the version with Burr better. For me, his narration lent a bit a gravitas and continuity to the film.

It's only been in recent years that the original Japanese version started making the rounds on various US channels. It's very good but I actually like the version with Burr better. For me, his narration lent a bit a gravitas and continuity to the film.
I think the Burr will have been the first version I saw, and I tend towards preferring the Japanese version, not to say I don’t like the Burr. There are much worse Godzilla movies out there.

No, his presence took out continuity and gravitas, the original Japanese version was perfect without the American interference!

I've heard this new Godzilla being described as basically a Transformers movie. I'll watch it eventually, but my enthusiasm is dimming drastically.

I've heard this new Godzilla being described as basically a Transformers movie. I'll watch it eventually, but my enthusiasm is dimming drastically.

It's nowhere near that bad and while the action may be bordering on overkill, it's not a hyperfast nausea inducing blur the way it is in the Bay films.

It's nowhere near that bad and while the action may be bordering on overkill, it's not a hyperfast nausea inducing blur the way it is in the Bay films.

OK, you've reassured me a bit.

The bits with the human characters are tedious and unfunny but again not as bad as Bay; and lets be honest it is all about the HOT MONSTER ON MONSTER ACTION.

It's like that in the rubber suit originals too, but I do like the human stuff in those because it's usually so eccentric (apart from the original, which is an incredibly ominous movie).

It's like that in the rubber suit originals too, but I do like the human stuff in those because it's usually so eccentric (apart from the original, which is an incredibly ominous movie).

No eccentricity here, just interchangeable dull "characters" you don't give a shit about, much like most blockbusters. If I watched it again, I'd just fast forward to the monster bits. But I'd do them same with Pacific Rim, Kong and Godzilla 2014. Wouldn't even touch the 1998 one.

Will eventually get around to seeing the original and probably Shin Godzilla too.

Shin Godzilla swaps the WW2 atomic bombs for the recent nuclear power station crisis and does it rather well. The Godzilla design is strangely disgusting, though.

Mostly enjoyed the film, but the humans could have been cut out completely and I'd still be happy.
It's not high art, there are plenty of good films out for that.
But it was delightful fun to sit back and watch. I've always had a soft spot for giant monsters

Shin Godzilla swaps the WW2 atomic bombs for the recent nuclear power station crisis and does it rather well. The Godzilla design is strangely disgusting, though.
It's Godzilla, not Jessica Rabbit!

It's Godzilla, not Jessica Rabbit!

Jessica-Rabbit-Godzilla-02.jpg

;)

maximus otter

No eccentricity here, just interchangeable dull "characters" you don't give a shit about, much like most blockbusters. If I watched it again, I'd just fast forward to the monster bits.

Just watched it on the weekend because I liked the old Godzilla movies. The monster fights are the only thing worth watching - the rest is dross.

Watched it last Friday and quite enjoyed it. Some great action scenes, though I thought Mothra was a bit lame, but ultimately not a bad way to spend a couple of hours (plus I do quite fancy Zhang Ziyi).

Back