• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

giphy.gif

maximus otter

It's only been in recent years that the original Japanese version started making the rounds on various US channels. It's very good but I actually like the version with Burr better. For me, his narration lent a bit a gravitas and continuity to the film.
Saw it years ago, It's a better movie, than the American version since certain plot points got lost, but not really more fun to watch. the Raymond Burr scenes replaced equally boring scenes. More informative scenes, but equally boring. One I remember was a 5-10 minute discussion about why they didn't want to use the Oxygen Destroyer. Another was a scene where the scientist who made the Oxygen Destroyer talked about why it should never be used, for any reason, ever. They did move the plot along, but felt a bit... excessively long. Like a revolving argument where neither side wants to relent, but keeps talking anyways.

One thing I would LOVE to see in a future film is Ghidorah vs Ghidorah. DesGhidorah has a rather unusual distinction among non-Showa Kaiju. It was so tough the hero monster(Mothra) COULDN'T kill it. Which means it's still sleeping, waiting for the next time someone is foolish enough to break the seal holding it imprisoned.

Yeah that's a different continuity from the most recent film. But maybe someone will be dumb enough to make a mutant Ghidorah clone in the next film?

Last edited:

I actually have (somewhere) two different versions of a Godzilla cigarette lighter, both made from a solid, heavy metal. The first was just a sheath for little more than a small disposable lighter, and the metal part that engaged the lighter itself wore out to the point where it rarely worked well. I was just cursing it out as a cheap piece of crap when I saw the newer version that was much sturdier with a better system and a great sparking igniter. The picture below that I found online is (I believe) the improved model.

Godzilla 1.jpg

Godzilla Minus One sounds like a dating show. Godzilla has been invited to Mothra`s wedding and needs to find a plus one to bring along. Perhaps there will be a scene showing monster mash.

Godzilla Minus One Is Getting a Black-and-White Theatrical Release in Japan

"We are now able to announce Godzilla-1.0/C, which we have been working on for a long time," director Takashi Yamazaki said in a statement, per Bloody Disgusting. "Rather than just making it monochrome, it is a cut-by-cut. I had them make adjustments while making full use of various mattes as if they were creating a new movie.

"What I was aiming for was a style that looked like it was taken by masters of monochrome photography," he continued. "We were able to unearth the texture of the skin and the details of the scenery that were hidden in the photographed data. Then, a frightening Godzilla, just like the one in the documentary, appeared. By eliminating colour, a new sense of reality emerges. Please live and resist further fear at the theater."
https://www.ign.com/articles/godzilla-minus-one-black-and-white-theatrical-release-japan

godzilla-minus-one-poster-1703075386455.jpeg

I just found out that Kenpachiro Satsuma who played Godzilla from 1984 to 1995 passed away recently. I've posted the link on the RIP Thread.

Last edited:
Godzilla Minus One: Taking the Godzilla story to the immediate post WW2 years. It;s a tale of self reliance, a devastated Japan starting to rebuild, history takes an alternate step as the US is unable to protect Japan from Godzilla due to tensions with the USSR. A Kamikazi pilot Koichi Shikishima changes his mind and lands on a remote island which has a refueling depot in 1945, he along with a mechanic are the only survivors when Godzilla attacks. Survivor's guilt plays an important part in the film , but the sex-pilot is also told he must live for Japan as he gathers together a makeshift family. Godzilla is well imagined and articulated, developing new powers after US atomic bomb tests. Just watch those death rays flame from his eyes! Oh No! There goes Tokyo with a flick of his tail and a blow from his paw! He easily deals with naval ships. There is great Dunkirkesque moment as a flotilla of small ships arrive to combat the monster. Godzilla even picks up a train and chews on it just as in the original movie. Godzilla fans should be pleased with this adventure which also fleshes out the background stories of the human characters. Directed, written, and with visual effects by Takashi Yamazaki. 8/10.

In Cinemas

Back