Great Acts Of Stupidity

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
Saw Jackie in that Irish film he made recently and noticed he had a stuntman stand in for him in places. At first I thought, aw, what a swizz, then I thought, no, fair enough, he's paid his dues and can finally be sensible.
Isn't he pushing 70?

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's a common thing in action movies.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I seem to recall seeing something like that in a film.
Yeah I’m thinking of a specific film but can’t recall which one. I could tell you the plot but that wouldn’t really narrow it down.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Are more people than ever now determined to poison themselves? See here:
News story

The latest internet craze, apart from drinking bleach, is eating as much nutmeg as you can and nearly dying from it. For some reason this is "fun". OK, it's fun because you get the clicks on your TikTok account's videos. Worth it?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
eating as much nutmeg as you can and nearly dying from it
This purported hallucinogen was popular, back in the same days as banana peels were!

I never tried banana peels but nutmeg was horrid, as every experimenter reports. Like ingesting sawdust for the sake of a short fever, followed by a long period of horrific dryness and bloodshot eyes. I learned my lesson, your honour. :fslap:

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Yeah, it's an old, old story, but I don't know where the fun hallucinogenic part came from. You could eat too much of any spice and feel just as ill.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
This purported hallucinogen was popular, back in the same days as banana peels were!
This reminds me of a Mad Magazine item from the sixties (I think it must have been a "One Fine Day" something by Don Martin):
A man in hippie clothes peels a banana. He tosses the peel over his shoulder and stuffs the banana into a pipe. He turns around, takes one step, slips on the banana peel, and hits his head, which makes him see psychedelic stars.

Mad Magazine has influenced me deeply. To this day, if I see a movie that I think is dumb, I start constructing a Mad Magazine version of it in my head as I watch.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
Reminds me a bit of some stuff a doctor prescribed for me when I was having back problems. I don't recall what it was, but it was awful. Really didn't do anything for my back either, so I stopped taking it and looked it up on line. I found that a lot of other people had similar experiences with it, but also that some people experimented with it for the unique buzz, or whatever. Yikes! Tequila is cheap, legal, and fun. Well, at least until you get to the bulletproof, gorgeous and charming phase. Things pretty much always go downhill quickly from there.

Similarly, a dentist gave me some codeine a long time ago. I soon decided I'd rather have the excruciating pain. Who the hell takes that shit for fun?

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Similarly, a dentist gave me some codeine a long time ago. I soon decided I'd rather have the excruciating pain. Who the hell takes that shit for fun?
I sometimes have to resort to codeine for my back - it's fun for the first day then it's just horrible.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
This purported hallucinogen was popular.....etc
I discovered 'back in the day' that what did have really very hallucinogenic properties was (perhaps unsurprisingly) LSD.
And what incredibly creative, multicoloured days they were too, what I can remember of them.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Codeine is what I'm allergic too!

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
On the one hand my Dad was a codeine addict which probably shortened his life due to heart problems. On the other hand it enabled him to live a reasonably normal life for the last 20 years he was on the planet. Not necessarily a bad trade-off.

If you had seen him trotting upstairs with a beer barrel under each arm you'd never have believed that he was in a wheelchair for years. Built from tough stuff. Much tougher than me.

Cochise

Reaction score
Yes, not like the snowflakes nowadays
Not even like most people from my era. I'm not going to give his whole life story, but he was brought up by a stepmother as his own mother had died in childbirth a year after Dad was born. They lived in Liverpool at the time. His dad (my grandad) was one of those people who you'd have thought was a great bloke if you'd met him in a pub, but he used to drink all his money away and my dad was brought up on a shoestring.

When the thirties hit he walked from Glenridding to London in search of work. His stepmother had left my Grandad by then and had a job as a maid in a hotel in Glenridding. Not coming by any work he ended up living in Soho and earning a living as a bare knuckle fighter. Somehow he injured one foot quite badly (never got the real story for that) and had to give it up. Luckily one of the punters who had won a lot of money betting on Dad had contacts and got him a job as a commis chef in the Savoy. Then WW2 happened.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Your dad sounds like a survivor, did what he had to do, that was a hellava different job, bare knuckle fighter to commis chef, bet nobody complained about anything to him, ever, he really sounds like a great guy

Cochise

Reaction score
Your dad sounds like a survivor, did what he had to do, that was a hellava different job, bare knuckle fighter to commis chef, bet nobody complained about anything to him, ever, he really sounds like a great guy
He was catering manager at a 'famous name' company in the 60's. I can remember well the 'discussions' he had with his head chef Dennis, who was also a piece of work! Imagine Gordon Ramsay with all the vehemence but no swearing.

Edit: In the amazing coincidence line, when we moved here 20-odd years ago, one of the first people we met in the pub was an old-timer who had also been a bare knuckle fighter and knew my dad!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Trespassing into a closed Yellowstone Park is one thing. Stumbling into a thermal vent and burning yourself while taking photos is a whole other level of self-induced risk.
Woman falls into thermal feature in closed Yellowstone park

A woman illegally visited Yellowstone National Park while it’s closed during the coronavirus pandemic and suffered burns Tuesday when she fell into a thermal feature, officials said.

She was reportedly backing up while taking photos and fell into a hot spring or hole where hot gases emerge near Old Faithful geyser ...

Despite her injuries, the woman drove for roughly 50 miles (80 kilometers) until park rangers stopped her near Mammoth Hot Springs. She was flown to a hospital in Idaho Falls, Idaho.

Park officials did not release the woman’s name or the extent of her injuries.

Yellowstone National Park has been closed since March 24. Yellowstone and nearby Grand Teton National Park will announce plans for a phased reopening Wednesday.

Visitors are warned to stay on the boardwalks near Yellowstone’s often boiling or acidic thermal features, which include geysers, hot springs, steam vents and mud pots. Tourists sometimes go off the designated walkways and are injured or killed.

Last fall, a man who was walking off a boardwalk near Old Faithful at night fell into a hot spring, suffering serious burns.

In June 2016, 23-year-old Colin Scott of Portland, Oregon, fell into a superheated, acidic mud pot and died. His remains couldn’t be recovered. ...
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/9cc779fa893b6d0c531c4af14f3aeed4

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
It's a wonder she didn't die.

I used to drive tour buses, and was fortunate enough to visit Yellowstone at least half a dozen times. I had to drag an idiot back into the bus to get her away from a bison she was trying to get a close-up photo of. Having been to the mudpots and other thermal features, I have to say that no one with a lick of sense would leave the walkways. I've seen them do it though.

If you ever get the opportunity to go to "Jellystone Park" it's well worth it. What an amazing place!

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
If you ever get the opportunity to go to "Jellystone Park" it's well worth it. What an amazing place!
Am I right in my understanding that Yellowstone is the top of a super volcano which, should it erupt, could wipe out mankind?

Frasier Buddolph

CAUTION: May not know what he's talking about.
Reaction score
Am I right in my understanding that Yellowstone is the top of a super volcano which, should it erupt, could wipe out mankind?
Don't know if it would wipe out mankind, but it would be "game over" for much of North America.