J.R.R. Tolkien

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
I don't mind, I dislike the films because I feel like they misunderstood the 'feel' of the books in favour of something much bigger and brasher and more fighting-based. So there's always the chance that the TV show will be better.

George_millett

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I don't mind, I dislike the films because I feel like they misunderstood the 'feel' of the books in favour of something much bigger and brasher and more fighting-based. So there's always the chance that the TV show will be better.
You would hope so. But with how other high profile adaptions have gone recently they are upping the sex as the violence.

As you said neither of those fit with LOTR or the hobbit.

TBH I don't think anyone will be able to do a better job than that done by the BBC with their radio plays.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
He was ... Sméagol was a member of one of the three main hobbit categories (lines, whatever ... ) - the Stoors hobbits.

Tolkien didn't fully outline Gollum's back story until LoTR, so there was a period during which readers were left to imagine his relationship to hobbits.

I think there's also additional material in Unfinished Tales.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
You would hope so. But with how other high profile adaptions have gone recently they are upping the sex as the violence.

As you said neither of those fit with LOTR or the hobbit.

TBH I don't think anyone will be able to do a better job than that done by the BBC with their radio plays.

Hobbit aside I think Peter Jackson did a good job with LOTRs it could have been a hundred times worse.

George_millett

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Hobbit aside I think Peter Jackson did a good job with LOTRs it could have been a hundred times worse.
I don't have any issues with Fellowship, all the changes made didn't detract from the book and in the case of Boromir's death improved on it.

The other two films however wandered significantly away from the books especially in the treatment of Faramir and Haldir.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Could have been worse, should have been better.

It's a hollywood movie, from what I seen and heard directors rarely get to make their complete vision of a movie. If it was 100% accurate to the book then large chunks of it would be as boring as fuck.

I love the book and have probably read it 10 times.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's a hollywood movie, from what I seen and heard directors rarely get to make their complete vision of a movie. If it was 100% accurate to the book then large chunks of it would be as boring as fuck.

I love the book and have probably read it 10 times.
If you cannot make the movie reasonably close to the book it's based on then don't bother making it. The world would be much worse off without the book, I cannot say the same for the movie.

In my advanced years I have finally realised that books are inherently superior to movies, and I no longer read a book and think ooooo that would make a great movie

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I could be less enthusiastic about the prospect of a Middle-Earth series produced by Amazon.

I have a suspicion that they sneaked it through under the existing licensing contract as the Christopher Tolkien was (said to be) distinctly underwhelmed by the Trilogy, so God only knows what he made of the Hobbit mess.

Last edited:

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have any issues with Fellowship, all the changes made didn't detract from the book and in the case of Boromir's death improved on it.

The other two films however wandered significantly away from the books especially in the treatment of Faramir and Haldir.
Totally agree with that. Also the sheer bloody length, although The Hobbit is a far bigger culprit. Jackson just can't make reasonably-lengthed films. His upcoming version of "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" (starring Andy Serkis) will run to 2hours 48 minutes.

Shadowsot

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I recently watched the full versions of the LOTR trilogy, and found it better. Though getting the time was difficult.
The Hobbit I can't n really blame Jackson for, he wanted two films but the studio pushed him to make three. Two films would have been fine, but he had to stretch it out and had to be creative.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm not sure I could be less enthusiastic about the prospect of a Middle-Earth series produced by Amazon.

I have a suspicion that they sneaked it through under the existing licensing contract as the Christopher Tolkien was (said to be) distinctly underwhelmed by the Trilogy, so God only knows what he made of the Hobbit mess.
https://www.tolkiensociety.org/2017/11/christopher-tolkien-resigns-as-tolkien-estate-director/
it appears he had nothing to do with the tv show, i dread to think what madness we will get served up next

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I saw this book in a charity shop today ..

bored.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bored-Ring...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
not as funny as it thinks it is.
I didn't buy it mainly because I'm not a fan of Terry Pratchet style humour but also because I'm not a Hobbit/Lord of etc etc fan (no offence intended towards Tolkien fans) so I expect most of the jokes would have been lost on me.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I didn't buy it mainly because I'm not a fan of Terry Pratchet style humour but also because I'm not a Hobbit/Lord of etc etc fan (no offence intended towards Tolkien fans) so I expect most of the jokes would have been lost on me.

Dildo Bugger and gay Elves is all you need to know.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

That reminds me. A friend loaned me that very book around 1980. I still have it...

(The Naughty Cat is right, it's not worth reading).

I'm a Tolkien nerd so will look forward to this Amazon thing. Whatever it is. And I'll enjoy disapproving of it, if it's crap.:wink2:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
That reminds me. A friend loaned me that very book around 1980. I still have it...

(The Naughty Cat is right, it's not worth reading).

I'm a Tolkien nerd so will look forward to this Amazon thing. Whatever it is. And I'll enjoy disapproving of it, if it's crap.:wink2:

Me too. I'm looking forward to it for exactly the same reasons.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Used to have that book, lost it , didn't care. It really isn't very funny. Sir Pterry does fantasy satire much better.
It has one or two good lines, including:

"In his hand he carried an ancient and trusty weapon, called by the elves a Browning semi-automatic."

"He would have finished him off then and there, but pity stayed his hand. It's a pity I've run out of bullets, he thought, as he went back up the tunnel..."

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
Used to have that book, lost it , didn't care. It really isn't very funny. Sir Pterry does fantasy satire much better.
I borrowed it, found it very amusing, but am in no hurry to read it again. I would perhaps have bought it if I'd seen it in a charity shop for a couple of bob.