• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mad Max Thread

I've seen it now! I though it was... quite good. But not brilliant, it was a bit same damn thing over and over though it found virtue in a simple plot. I'm more interested in what Miller does for a follow up, hoping he finds a new variation rather than repeating himself on grander and grander scales.

Just got Fury Road on DVD.

I've seen it now! I though it was... quite good. But not brilliant, it was a bit same damn thing over and over though it found virtue in a simple plot. I'm more interested in what Miller does for a follow up, hoping he finds a new variation rather than repeating himself on grander and grander scales.

I think it's like the New Star Wars film.

Studio tick list:

Make it simple - check
Lots of Glorious effects - check
Homage to the original - check
No Tina Turner, (or Star Wars Ja Jar Binks) -check

Job done - we can get another trilogy out of it

Wait a minute, Tina Turner was fantastic in Beyond Thunderdome, is it now received opinion she was rubbish? I am saddened at this development.
Yeah, I thought that was the best Mad Max film.

Wait a minute, Tina Turner was fantastic in Beyond Thunderdome, is it now received opinion she was rubbish? I am saddened at this development.
I thought she was rubbish and i saw it at the cinema too. I think it's the worst. Horses for courses.

The first half was great, it went crap when the kids turned up. Tina was great regardless. Next!

The first half was great, it went crap when the kids turned up. Tina was great regardless. Next!

The kids were there for Mel's Christ fixation, I think. But the chase at the end is my favourite sequence in the series, it's brilliant.

The kids weren't that bad. They all had their identifiable characters.
I particularly liked Scrooloose, an example of a regression to tribal primitivism.

Just watched Fury Road!
A stonking juggernaut of an adventure - really amazing!
Perhaps only the slightly uncharismatic delivery of Tom Hardy was the only thing that 'blunted' the film a little. Not enough to spoil the film, I think.
Amazing SFX, costumes, stunts, vehicles, props, CGI...the list goes on.

Both Mad Max "the Road Warrior" 1981 and Mad Max "Fury Road" 2015 were both basically as good as it gets. Nonstop action with blood thirsty futuristic barbarians on wheels ready to strike at any moment. What could possible be more trilling. Barely a dull moment in either film!

Both Mad Max "the Road Warrior" 1981 and Mad Max "Fury Road" 2015 were both basically as good as it gets. Nonstop action with blood thirsty futuristic barbarians on wheels ready to strike at any moment. What could possible be more trilling. Barely a dull moment in either film!

Yes!

Just watched Fury Road!
A stonking juggernaut of an adventure - really amazing!
Perhaps only the slightly uncharismatic delivery of Tom Hardy was the only thing that 'blunted' the film a little. Not enough to spoil the film, I think.
Amazing SFX, costumes, stunts, vehicles, props, CGI...the list goes on.

he wasn't given much to play with.

Max never spoke much in either Mad Max 1981 or 2015 version. I don't know that he needed to it added to the mystic.

I suppose Max has become the typical Western hero, who drifts in from the wilderness and gets entangled in whatever injustices are occurring, reluctantly driven by self interest as well as a basically good heart. Like Eastwood's stranger from the dollars trilogy, less is probably more. But I still feel he was too peripheral to the proceedings of Fury Road.

It was the Monsieur Hulot of the quartet.

It was the Monsieur Hulot of the quartet.
I don't know the reference. Was Monsieur Hulot the eponymous character of a story in which he played very little part?

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday - it was a non-speaking film, but not a silent film.

Like The Plank?
I guess, but Monsieur Hulot was not funny. It was supposed to be, but...watch it. I guarantee you can only watch it for a few minutes.

I don't know the reference. Was Monsieur Hulot the eponymous character of a story in which he played very little part?

Monsieur Hulot was the comedy creation of Jacques Tati who devised his very specific method of deploying the character in that he believed Hulot should be on the periphery rather than the agent of the plot, all the better to focus the audience on the humour of the other characters and situations. This saw its ultimate expression in the enormously expensive Playtime, where Tati was practically a glorified extra in his own film. He's an acquired taste these days I suppose, but he was a genius and he does make me laugh even if you often have to concentrate to see where the jokes are.

Back