• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I just want to pop in here to support Aydee Aitchdee. I too have never seen a Bond film. Never wanted to. Heresy, I know, but that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. ;)

To get back on topic, I've also never experienced the Mandela Effect. Not in movies or elsewhere. Does that make me a weirdo?

I just want to pop in here to support Aydee Aitchdee. I too have never seen a Bond film. Never wanted to. Heresy, I know, but that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. ;)

To get back on topic, I've also never experienced the Mandela Effect. Not in movies or elsewhere. Does that make me a weirdo?
Nope.
Just means you have a sound memory and aren't prone to flights of fancy.

And I'll support you on this! When talk of Mandela Effects first came around, the first one I heard of was the Berenstain Bears. My 6 year old potty mouth called them Beren-shit-stain Bears, so adult me had no idea what people were on about.

There is quite a well-known cinema Mandela effect that I've mentioned before on this forum, which is the alternate ending to Big that some people remember. The alternate ending is described in this Straight Dope Thread in some detail.
https://boards.straightdope.com/t/anyone-else-remember-the-alternate-ending-to-big/103864

It is also described in the IMDB, as a possible 'alternate ending'
The alternate ending allegedly shows young Josh sitting in his classroom at school when he turns around to notice a young female classmate of whom who he recognizes as Susan- who went back to the fairground machine and wished that she was Josh's age. Some claim that this version was also seen on Latin American television. The Book of Lists, Canadian Edition, 2005 includes the following account: "In the original version, there was an additional scene at the end, in which Josh is back at school and a new girl named Susan arrives. The implication is that Susan went back to the carnival machine to make herself Josh's age. Due to negative audience feedback, the scene was cut from the movie."
The trouble is, no such ending was ever filmed, and none of the actors remember it.

I was thinking of posting this in the general Mandela thread, but since I discovered this one it seems better here. Not a true Mandela effect, since it's only me, but...

Last week I caught the end of the 1960 film The Lost World. I was amused, since I have caught just the end of this film in the past. And then I remembered a similar film from the late 1950s that included George Reeves, either before or during his stint on The Adventures of Superman, which I saw when I was a child or teen in the the late 1960s or 1970s. It had a similar dinosaur jungle theme, and I vaguely remember the story being a bit like Jules Vernes' Off on a Comet - i.e. some Velikovskyish action pulled our heroes off Earth and onto another planet or somesuch.

The problem is that my research shows Reeves did not make a film anything close to this, either in the 1950s or before.

I can only assume I am conflating The Lost World (which had a cast of familiar faces), the more obscure 1961 adaptation of the Verne story (Valley of the Dragons, a.k.a. Prehistoric Valley), and Reeves' appearance in the 1948 film Jungle Jim. Still, if it wasn't for that danged Interwebs, I would have sworn I saw that non-existent picture.

@ChasFink, can relate. :nods:

I've mentioned this before but can't now find my post about it.

As a bored teenager I watched Odette on TV:

Odette is a 1950 British war film based on the true story of Special Operations Executive French agent, Odette Sansom, living in England, who was captured by the Germans in 1943, condemned to death and sent to Ravensbrück concentration camp to be executed.

However, against all odds she survived the war and testified against the prison guards at the Hamburg Ravensbrück trials.

She was awarded the George Cross in 1946; the first woman ever to receive the award, and the only woman who has been awarded it while still alive.

A real feelgood fillum. :bthumbup:

Years later I came across it again and settled down to enjoy the heroine's exploits.
However, this time things went badly. Instead of escaping and copping the gong, she was executed by a firing quad. :omg:

I'd actually been watching Nurse Edith Cavell. An entirely different story, wrong war.

Anyone else remember these?
When Star Wars was released I read a newspaper article that said that (1) Darth Vader had his helmet because he'd fallen into a volcano (2) this was shown in the American release, which had a longer running time.
Also, I saw Close Encounters of the Third Kind a few times, which seemed to be cut a bit each time.
However it was normal back then to cut bits on different releases apparently.

Back