• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mushroom Lunch Deaths: Family Meal Mystery In Australia

Well it was strange that she didn't get sick.
Did she eat the mushrooms?
I love mushrooms but due to dietary restraints I don’t currently eat them. I still cook them for the wife and we have a standard mushroom recipe that we always do on the BBQ because they are always appreciated by our guests. So if the current Mrs T63, the former Mrs T63 (she is always here when we cook for the family) all my children and grandchildren were to die of mushroom poisoning I would survive and be left with a terrible dilemma. Who is going to walk the dogs when I’m at work?

Grilled Garlic Mushroom Skewers

These grilled mushrooms are so delicious, just like juicy little flavour bombs. Serve everyone a skewer as an appetiser with some grilled bread, or as a side dish with grilled meats or fish. You will absolutely love these grilled garlic mushrooms on skewers– They’re so good, you’ll want to make them every single day of the week. Enjoy!

Ingredients

2 pounds mushrooms, sliced in half lengthwise
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes, optional

Method

To make the grilled mushroom skewers: Marinate the sliced mushrooms in the mixture of the remaining ingredients for 30 minutes. In the meantime, soak wooden skewers in water to prevent burning.

Skewer the mushrooms (it’s easier when you twist instead of just pick through the mushroom) and grill until just tender and slightly charred, about 2-3 minutes per side.

Transfer the grilled mushroom skewers to a serving platter and sprinkle some chopped parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy!

Last edited:
But very clumsy, really...it does seem suspicious- I often wonder how the thought process goes when somebody decides to “ remove” persons between themselves and some kind of gain material or otherwise...

The husband had been supposed to come to the lunch but pulled out at the last minute.
I wondered if she wanted to remove any obstacles to her having the children back with her.

But very clumsy, really...it does seem suspicious- I often wonder how the thought process goes when somebody decides to “ remove” persons between themselves and some kind of gain material or otherwise...
I wouldn't use mushrooms - a death ray works every time (Jimmy Hoffa, Harold Holt, etc).....

I would suspect that she'll just say that she and her children didn't like mushrooms and wouldn't eat anything with them in - necessitating a completely separate meal.

I know a fair few people who can't stand mushrooms although I absolutely love them myself. There are quite a few springing up in the fields around me now, but I don't trust my ability to tell poison from edible, so I don't pick them.

America’s NBC TV News played a clip from News 10 First from Sidney, Australia showing this lady crying away saying that she just loved the people who died.

She also confirmed that she mixed store bought mushrooms with dried mushrooms she bought from a Asian market.

She also said she lied to police not telling the police that she destroyed her home food drying equipment.

Poisoning by mistake or on purpose ?

She as already lied once !

Death by fungus.

I agree, and the reason she did not first disclosed the destruction of her food drying equipment is because she was afraid of being arrested.

We are not into drying food, but I guess some people do.

I agree, and the reason she did not first disclosed the destruction of her food drying equipment is because she was afraid of being arrested.

We are not into drying food, but I guess some people do.
We dehydrate food for the dogs. Sweet potatoes, beef, chicken, probably berries in a couple of weeks when the bushes are full.
They are treats we use for them when training etc.

Even though there was a possible fight with the ex-husband over the children, Erin swears she just loved her ex-husband’s dead family members.

Erin also went out of the way to make sure she and her kids did not eat the Beef Wellington.

She also made sure that two other non family guests did not get too many mushrooms.

The police have so far not charge anyone.

Beef Wellington anyone ?

Well it was strange that she didn't get sick. I wonder too why her children weren't actually living with her.
It has been reported that she was also admitted to hospital with less severe symptoms of poisoning

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-66495707 :

...Ms Patterson said the mushrooms used to prepare the meal were a mixture of button mushrooms bought at a supermarket, and dried mushrooms purchased at an Asian grocery store in Melbourne several months ago.
Her children, who were not present at the lunch, ate some of the leftover beef Wellington the next day. However the mushrooms had been scraped off the dish as they do not like the fungi, she said.
Ms Patterson said she herself was hospitalised on 31 July. She said she was put on a saline drip and given medication to guard against liver damage.
She said she had also saved and given the remainder of the lunch to hospital toxicologists for examination....

Even though there was a possible fight with the ex-husband over the children, Erin swears she just loved her ex-husband’s dead family members.

Erin also went out of the way to make sure she and her kids did not eat the Beef Wellington.

She also made sure that two other non family guests did not get too many mushrooms.

The police have so far not charge anyone.

Beef Wellington anyone ?
Depends who is doing the cooking....

It has been reported that she was also admitted to hospital with less severe symptoms of poisoning

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-66495707 :

Ms Patterson said she herself was hospitalised on 31 July. She said she was put on a saline drip and given medication to guard against liver damage.
She said she had also saved and given the remainder of the lunch to hospital toxicologists for examination....
'she said'... Surely it's a matter of record and will be in her personal medical notes? I know Australia's health care system isn't like the good old NHS, but somewhere there will be a record of this, not just 'she said'...?

'she said'... Surely it's a matter of record and will be in her personal medical notes? I know Australia's health care system isn't like the good old NHS, but somewhere there will be a record of this, not just 'she said'...?
This isn't quoting what was said in court. It's not evidence. Ms Patterson was being robustly interviewed outside her home by a pack of reporters who shouted questions at her. She was in tears.

This isn't quoting what was said in court. It's not evidence. Ms Patterson was being robustly interviewed outside her home by a pack of reporters who shouted questions at her. She was in tears.
And the reporters could have 'sourced' her records... if they were sufficiently interested.

Chilling ‘death wall’ found inside mushroom cook’s former home

A CREEPY "death wall" was uncovered at the former home of the mum who cooked a poisonous mushroom meal that left three dead.

Red and blue markers were used to scrawl eerie drawings and messages over the wall - with one chilling note reading: "You don't [have] long to live".

A tradesman has revealed he found what he called a "death wall" inside Erin's former home in Korumburra.

former-home-woman-prepared-lunch-838253293.jpg

He said he was hired to paint the inside last year so it could be flogged.

The worker, who wished to remain anonymous, [said]: “I’ve looked at it and gone, holy sh*t, what the hell’s going on here."

One chilling drawing shows two stick figures with the words "I am dead" and "no I am really dead".

Beside them appears to be three tombstones with the words "grandma RIP", "Hannah RIP" and "Me RIP" on them.

Other parts read "you don't [have] long to live 1 hour exactly", "your [sic] dead from my sword" and "get ready".

The painter, 46, added: "We started calling it the death wall.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/23492113/death-wall-mushroom-erin-patterson-home/

maximus otter

A CREEPY "death wall" was uncovered at the former home of the mum who cooked a poisonous mushroom meal that left three dead.

Red and blue markers were used to scrawl eerie drawings and messages over the wall - with one chilling note reading: "You don't [have] long to live".

A tradesman has revealed he found what he called a "death wall" inside Erin's former home in Korumburra.

The worker, who wished to remain anonymous, [said]: “I’ve looked at it and gone, holy sh*t, what the hell’s going on here."

One chilling drawing shows two stick figures with the words "I am dead" and "no I am really dead".

Beside them appears to be three tombstones with the words "grandma RIP", "Hannah RIP" and "Me RIP" on them.

Other parts read "you don't [have] long to live 1 hour exactly", "your [sic] dead from my sword" and "get ready".

maximus otter
One or two problems in that family then.

looks like kids playing and hoping to be edgy!
Yes does seem more likely. My sister and I were not allowed to talk at bedtime so we used to carry on arguements via drawing ... mind you not on a wall that would have earned a far bigger punishment than talking in the first place! In books, ten ton weights decending mostly, no mention of death as such! But yeah I can imagine the above was done by kids!

I would suspect that she'll just say that she and her children didn't like mushrooms and wouldn't eat anything with them in - necessitating a completely separate meal.

I know a fair few people who can't stand mushrooms although I absolutely love them myself. There are quite a few springing up in the fields around me now, but I don't trust my ability to tell poison from edible, so I don't pick them.
It depends how the mushrooms were served doesn't it? If they were chopped or sliced then if there was one or two wrong'uns accidentally in the batch not everyone would have automatically have got some in their portion.

I used to harvest a certain kind of mushroom many years ago in a different life. But you had to be careful as there was a similar mushroom that was poisonous without the 'beneficial' effects. I couldn't do it now because I can't remember whether it was the ones with the dark gills or the white gills which were bad. I do recall they basically looked like a pale nipple.

maximus otter
Quite convenient he took photos of the wall before painting over it. I wonder if that was because he thought the mother may poison a rake of people and he could sell the photos to the gutter press.

Or am I being overly cynical?

looks like kids playing and hoping to be edgy!
I was watching a documentary on the murder of Jodi Jones yesterday. The fourteen year old boyfriend was found guilty, and it seemed to be mostly on the evidence of him writing '666' and death messages all over his school books and saying he was a Satanist. I found myself thinking that sort of 'evidence' would see a lot of teenagers jailed for murder.

I was watching a documentary on the murder of Jodi Jones yesterday. The fourteen year old boyfriend was found guilty, and it seemed to be mostly on the evidence of him writing '666' and death messages all over his school books and saying he was a Satanist. I found myself thinking that sort of 'evidence' would see a lot of teenagers jailed for murder.

Quite a worrying conviction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jodi_Jones

All they need to know is where the mushrooms came from
Well, no, there's a lot more than that to examine, but the lady in question has suddenly forgotten where she bought the dried ones. hm

One thing is certain - Dr Grande doesn't need a humour dehydrator.
Here's his update and working conclusion.

Yes that was the conclusion of the documentary I watched. There seemed to be no other evidence (apart from some dodgy eye witness account from a woman driving past) to put him at the scene. He seemed (from the programme) to have been convicted purely on the fact that everyone thought he was a devil-worshipper and he smoked dope.
Edited to add: Oh, and he liked Marilyn Manson. I like Marilyn Manson and I've managed not to kill anyone yet.

Back