• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Occult Rock Bands

Phantom of the Paradise

:D Phantom of The Paradise is available on soundtrack? I must wend my way to Amazon...

Actually, I recall hating Paul Williams' musical work in the (late) 70s, but when I saw Phantom' it just blew me away. (On a double bill with the Rocky Horror flick: oddly, much as I loved -and love- Phantom', I detested Rocky Horror right from the git go: go figure. Actually wanted to see Phantom anyway because I'd read about in in HoH magazine.) I still rate it as my favourite de Palma flick. And these days I even like the music.

i think coil is pretty good(at times; like 'Music to Destroy Angels'). but even more, nurse w/ wound, nocturnal emissions, and the 'most' occult band of all, the halfler trio(listen between the sounds).

although, i must add, when growing up the album that scared me the most was 'Black Mass' by Lucifer. it is an all moog album from the 70's and it is FREAKY!

Satanic Rock

Some Bible-bashing kids at my school brought a tape recording of an American preacher denouncing rock music/backwardmasking etc, into school and persuaded the stupid teacher play it in RE class.
The songs I remember singled out for attention were
1) "Cold Ethel" by Alice Cooper (encourages necrophilia)
2) "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen (played backwards says: "It's fun to smoke maijuana")
3) Something by Jefferson Airplane or Jefferson Starship (played backwards said: "He's coming - Satan's son")
4) Anything by KISS ("Their name is an acrostic of Kids in Satan's Service!")
And my personal favourite:
5) "Physical" by Olivia Newton-John (encourages fornication).
Has anyone else heard this tape? I guess it must have done the rounds of evangelical youth groups and so forth. I do know one other person who heard it at another school at around the same time (late 80s)
And for the record, the choral music (by Ligeti?)in "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Halbe Mensch" by Einstuerzende Neubauten give me the willies big time.

oh yeah, neaubauten...pretty much anything ov theirs...great stuff.

i've got an lp of a guy named bob larson speaking out on the dangers/evils of rock and roll. it's from the 60/70's but i heard he's still around and has a radio program now...still touting the same message.

Does Screamin' Jay Hawkins' I Put A Spell On You, Alligator Wine and Mean Li'l Demon count?

From memory:
Down in the valley on a foggy rock,
Mean li'l demon blowin' his top:
Fire from his eyes,
Smoke from his head,
You gotta be real cool to hear the words he said:
He said mmbammmpbppammbabbmmpmm! (etc.)
That cat was MAD!

Has anyone mentioned robert johnsohn? he would seem to be and obvious one...

Ungrammatical Proof

rynner said:
Dyslexia. perhaps! Satanic - Sinatic - Sinatra.

But I guess their real point was that the song embodies the magical "Do what thou wilt" idea. Vicars are always telling us that "I" is at the heart of "sin" - wonder if that works in other languages?

Anagrammatically, if ungrammatically, speaking, Sinatra = I. R. Satan. A clearer admission cannot be had, and this from Old Blue Eyes, the Chairman of the Board. "My Way" indeed.

Let's see, most evil-sounding song. Must it be pop music? If not, then one thinks of Mussorsky's "Night on Bald Mountain" and so on, or J.S. Bach's "Tocatta & Fugue in D Minor". (Hitler's Wager fixation notwithstanding.)

In rock or pop, it's a tossup between, perhaps, "Passion Play" by Death Row Tull, or Danny Elfman's theme music from the recent PLANET OF THE APES.

In jazz? "Bitch's Brew" by Miles Davis or the Ornette Coleman music used by David Cronenberg in the movie NAKED LUNCH.

Re: Ungrammatical Proof

FraterLibre said:
Anagrammatically, if ungrammatically, speaking, Sinatra = I. R. Satan. A clearer admission cannot be had, and this from Old Blue Eyes, the Chairman of the Board. "My Way" indeed.

Not I.R. Weasel?

I have an old LP entitled "danse macabre". As well as the title track by saint-saens, It has the Witches Ride from Hansel and Gretel by Humperdinck, the Gnome from pictures at an exhibition by Mussorgsky and The Night on the bare mountain by the same.
On the second side It has the tam o'shanter overture, the mephisto waltz and the sorcerors apprentice.
It's quite a cool record I guess

hey

I've got that one, too, only mine's on CD. Cool. And yes, quite a good spooky collection, perfect for Hallowe'en parties and such.

Black Crowes

When the Black Crowes first surfaced, they sported much occult regalia and not only openly admitted an intense interest in such matters, but also hinted at various occult connections and doings. Not sure if they're still into that or not.

And let's not forget Robert Johnson, who sold his soul at the crossroads.

Other Fred?

that might explain why one doesn't see it here, eh? LOL

Oh, and the ineffable Stevie Nicks is rather witchy and occultish, too.

Marc almond Is a satanist, so marc almond + soft cell goes in there too, i guess

His Satanic Majesty's Request

Let's not forget Jagger and the Stones, (mostly Jagger), who was scared straight, apparently, after the debacle at Altamont.

I passed that spot on a recent vacation. It's just a field by a highway through rolling, rather flat hills of uninteresting and very flammable grass. And no, not the Sixties kind, either.

Maynard of TOOL is allegedly a satanist, but i think it just goes with all of the other rock bands who are allegedly satanists :rolleyes:

And don't forget the Vampyros Lesbos - Sexadelic Dance Party OST :)

I always believed Tool were more into 'chaos magick' than any off the shelf brand of Satanism.

Marc Almond also played guitar on the first Coil album, and Coil did a cover of Tainted Love. Useless fact of the day. ;o)

Yep, Robert Johnson...
We could also mention a lot of classical composers, especially those who came under the influence of Ficino's spirit-music theory - and later, the Rosicrucians.

Classical wise there is Beethoven's 9th and Mozart's Magic Flute - both Masonic/Rosicrucian.

and the idea that the waltz form came from the masonic significance of #3

Santana

Carlos Santana is very mystical spiritual, with some occult shadings.

From Schiller's original poem "Ode to Joy". An English translation of the lyrics of Beethoven's 9th:-

Oh friends, not these tones!
Let us raise our voices in more
pleasing and more joyful sounds!

Joy, beautiful spark of the gods,
Daughter of Elysium,
We enter fire imbibed,
Heavenly, thy sanctuary.

Thy magic reunites those
Whom stern custom has parted;
All men will become brothers
Under thy gentle wing.

May he who has had the fortune
To gain a true friend
And he who has won a noble wife
Join in our jubilation!

Yes, even if he calls but one soul
His own in all the world.
But he who has failed in this
Must steal away alone and in tears.

All the world's creatures
Draw joy from nature's breast;
Both the good and the evil
Follow her rose-strewn path.

She gave us kisses and wine
And a friend loyal unto death;
She gave lust for life to the lowliest,
And the Cherub stands before God.

Joyously, as his suns speed
Through Heaven's glorious order,
Hasten, Brothers, on your way,
Exulting as a knight in victory.

Daughter of Elysium,
We enter fire imbibed,
Heavenly, thy sanctuary.

Be embraced, Millions!
This kiss for all the world!
Brothers!, above the starry canopy
A loving father must dwell.

Can you sense the Creator, world?
Seek him above the starry canopy.
Above the stars He must dwell.

Be embraced, Millions!

Daughter of Elysium,
We enter fire imbibed,
Heavenly, thy sanctuary.

Be embraced, Millions!

Be embraced, Millions!

Joy, daughter of Elysium
Thy magic reunites those
Whom stern custom has parted;
All men will become brothers
Under thy gentle wing.

Be embraced, Millions!

Joy, beautiful spark of Gods!,
Daughter of Elysium,
Joy, beatiful spark of Gods!.

Occult in the Open

Magnificent poem, and such spectacular, timeless, and uplifting music.

If this counts, then much of the Beatles must also be included, with their themes of love and peace and their many sly mystical references.

SUN RA
not really occultic, but he DID come from saturn. what?! Alabama you say? I'll not believe a word of it.

Another thing is captain beefheart. I think he showed a hearty (a-ha!) interest in the devil and magick (i think). He was also reputed to be psychic, suprising interviewers by going over to the phone and waiting a minute before it rang. He had some very peculiar views in him, believed that all knowledge was already in you from the point of birth (which allowed him to get the phone precognitively), that all instruments have spirits that they summon (and electric guitar amps pull demons thru from the other side)

I think live music performance is as close as we get to public, acceptable, magickal ritual these days - just look at the performance by Coldplay this week on TOTP this week...

actually, despite the joke, i think you are right... I remember rreading an article once that was theorising how much some rock live performances resembled mystery plays for evoking certain things (you know - mars, venus and all that)

no, really I wasn't joking - I thought their performance was amazing - never used to like them until i saw them on TV at Glastonbury this year. However, theatre and music are surely the inheritors of the magickal rite. There has been no mention of the Mystery plays so far though...

I didn't mean mystery plays, i meant psychodramas. I think

yeah that's what I said - mystery plays hadn't been mentioned until then. As for psychodramas what about Bowie?

I'm closer to the Golden Dawn
Immersed in Crowley's uniform
Of imagery
I'm living in a silent film
Portraying Himmler's sacred realm
Of dream reality
I'm frightened by the total goal
Drawing to the ragged hole
And I ain't got the power, anymore
No I ain't got the power anymore
I'm the twisted name on Garbo's eyes
Living proof of Churchill's lies