• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

In 1985, Rolf Harris starred in a 20 minute anti child abuse video titled 'Kids Can Say No'
Harris was convicted in 2014 of sexually abusing four girls.

I still have difficulty believing it. not that I think there was any miscarriage of justice, I have no idea. But most of the other celebs that were found to be abusing their fame were at least somewhat creepy. Rolf - never saw it coming.

I still have difficulty believing it. not that I think there was any miscarriage of justice, I have no idea. But most of the other celebs that were found to be abusing their fame were at least somewhat creepy. Rolf - never saw it coming.
Harris was lined up for prosecution a good while before anyone heard about it.

A strong piece of evidence was a letter he wrote to the father of a girl he abused for years, his daughter's childhood friend. In it he admits to making her have sex and says he hadn't realised how terrified she was of him.

There is proof in his own handwriting and signed by him. Even if that's all he did, and it's not, it would be enough.

Harris was lined up for prosecution a good while before anyone heard about it.

A strong piece of evidence was a letter he wrote to the father of a girl he abused for years, his daughter's childhood friend. In it he admits to making her have sex and says he hadn't realised how terrified she was of him.

There is proof in his own handwriting and signed by him. Even if that's all he did, and it's not, it would be enough.
I don't doubt his guilt - I was just saying it was far more shocking to me than others. I DO believe he was guilty, I just have difficulty reconciling it with my memories of him on TV. I used to love his paintings and his songs. 'Six white boomers' as a Christmas song I still remember, not to mention 'Jake the peg' . And please don't tell me the latter was a deliberate double entendre - even if it was I don't want to know it. We all have limitations as to what we can cope with.

I don't doubt his guilt - I was just saying it was far more shocking to me than others. I DO believe he was guilty, I just have difficulty reconciling it with my memories of him on TV. I used to love his paintings and his songs. 'Six white boomers' as a Christmas song I still remember, not to mention 'Jake the peg' . And please don't tell me the latter was a deliberate double entendre - even if it was I don't want to know it. We all have limitations as to what we can cope with.
Yup, I know you weren't defending him. It was a shock to me too.

Some months before his arrest I read about upcoming prosecutions on conspiracy sites, including 'one that will break your heart' which must've been Harris.

Well, well, well...

FB_IMG_1618060214208.jpg

Rock musician Ted Nugent catches Covid after saying pandemic wasn't real

The right-wing singer, who also felt the need to suggest the coronavirus vaccine was ‘not a real vaccine’, revealed yesterday he tested positive after coming down with flu-like symptoms.

Sharing his symptoms on a Facebook Live from quarantine, Nugent said he thought he was ‘dying’.

He told fans: ‘Everybody told me that I should not announce this.

‘I have had flu symptoms for the last 10 days. I thought I was dying. Just a clusterf**k.

‘My God, what a pain in the ass. I literally could hardly crawl out of bed the last few days… So I was officially tested positive for Covid-19 today.’

Nugent – who is an avid Donald Trump supporter and previously performed at a campaign rally – had been called out for his comments on the pandemic and the coronavirus vaccine after recently saying he would refuse to be vaccinated.

He ranted: ‘It’s not a real pandemic and that’s not a real vaccine, I’m sorry.

‘I ain’t taking no vaccine. You come at me with a needle and I will be in fear of my life.

‘You know what I’ll do if you come at me with a needle. “Hi I’m from the government, this needle’s good for you”. F**k you.’

In a recent post, he also labelled the people of Great Britain ‘a bunch of sheep’ for wearing face masks, while also declaring there was ‘no such thing as systemic racism in America’ because he hadn’t personally witnessed racism in America.

Rock musician Ted Nugent catches Covid after saying pandemic wasn't real

The right-wing singer, who also felt the need to suggest the coronavirus vaccine was ‘not a real vaccine’, revealed yesterday he tested positive after coming down with flu-like symptoms.

Sharing his symptoms on a Facebook Live from quarantine, Nugent said he thought he was ‘dying’.

He recently claimed that Covid-19 must be a conspiracy because we didn't have lockdowns for Covid-1 through 18.

He also said he was "the anti-racist" because "'being called the N-word was the greatest thing to ever happen to me."

His music's shit as well.

A Kenyan anti-vax doctor, who only weeks ago said the jab was 'totally unnecessary' has died from covid19.

Dr Stephen Karanja, chairman of the Kenya Catholic Doctors Association, advocated steam inhalation and hydroxychloroquine tablets.

He clashed with the Catholic church over the safety of the Covid jabs.

Health authorities and the World Health Organization (WHO) rejected his claims.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-56922517

Man Hit And Killed By Alleged Drunk Driver Just After Leaving Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting

A Modesto man devoted to living a better life was hit and killed by Brandon Howze, who was allegedly drunk at the time. Friends of Ray Galindo say the tragic irony is Galindo was leaving an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting when it happened.

snapshot-39.jpg

Braxton Howze was reportedly driving drunk when he hit and killed Ray Galindo. (credit: Modesto PD)

Modesto Police said Howze was driving on a suspended license from a previous DUI. He is being held on a $1,000,000 bail and faces several charges including hit and run, DUI, hit and run with injury and gross vehicular manslaughter, and driving on a suspended license.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2021/05/05/man-hit-killed-drunk-driver-alcoholics-anonymous-meeting/

maximus otter

Nothing political about this, just an anti-litter campaigner being done for littering. That is ironic.

MP who urged people not to be "litter tossers" has been fined for dropping a cigarette.

Durham North West MP Richard Holden was caught outside an election count at the Louisa Centre in Stanley, County Durham, on Saturday and fined £100.

Last summer Mr Holden launched a lockdown litter-picking campaign and said it was "unacceptable" to leave "beautiful" areas strewn with rubbish.

His office has been approached for comment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-57072128

https://www.gazetteherald.co.uk/news/19295004.100-mph-pursuit-driver-abandoned-car-railway-line/

This isn't particularly ironic, but just shows the pointlessness of driving bans. This guy KEEPS getting stopped and prosecuted for terrible driving, but just gets back behind the wheel and carries on. At this rate his bans are going to join end to end and mean that he can never get behind the wheel of a car again. Do we think that will stop him?
Most banned drivers comply. This bloke is totally reckless - cloned number plates, giving a false name, 12 previous convictions for dangerous driving. The most worrying thing he did this time is abandoning the car on the railway. He could have killed people.

This time he was handed a 21-month sentence along with another driving ban and an extended driving test at the end of it.
None of that will stop him and he'll probably end up wrapped around a tree in a couple of years.

https://www.gazetteherald.co.uk/news/19295004.100-mph-pursuit-driver-abandoned-car-railway-line/

This isn't particularly ironic, but just shows the pointlessness of driving bans. This guy KEEPS getting stopped and prosecuted for terrible driving, but just gets back behind the wheel and carries on. At this rate his bans are going to join end to end and mean that he can never get behind the wheel of a car again. Do we think that will stop him?
I came across a suggestion once that offenders should not be banned from driving but only be allowed to drive something like a Citroen 2CV. To which no offence intended, but its general lack of crashworthiness and low power would curb their worst excesses. I can see numerous defects in the approach, but I quite like it.

Perhaps something could be devised along the line of a spike strapped to the steering wheel and a wrist bracelet that would need to verify the presence of the spike or else would deliver the equivalent of a taser if it detected a live ignition circuit and no spike. This may also help the gene pool, both by removal of the offender and by warning those not terminally stupid that the guy (it usually is a guy) driving is dangerous and they should reconsider traveling with him.

PS - the 2CV was actually well ahead of other small cars for safety when first designed in the 1930's - however things have moved on considerably since then!

PPS - I did get banned once many years ago for being seriously - and potentially terminally - stupid and I did respect it.

I came across a suggestion once that offenders should not be banned from driving but only be allowed to drive something like a Citroen 2CV. To which no offence intended, but its general lack of crashworthiness and low power would curb their worst excesses. I can see numerous defects in the approach, but I quite like it.
When I owned a Citroen AX I was dismayed to learn that it was about the worst model, safety-wise, on British roads at the time.

The idea that if I crashed it I'd be found lying on the road surrounded by cornflake-sized bits of car was a powerful incentive to drive even more carefully than I already did.

I came across a suggestion once that offenders should not be banned from driving but only be allowed to drive something like a Citroen 2CV.

Perhaps something could be devised along the line of a spike strapped to the steering wheel and a wrist bracelet that would need to verify the presence of the spike or else would deliver the equivalent of a taser if it detected a live ignition circuit and no spike.

PS - the 2CV was actually well ahead of other small cars for safety when first designed in the 1930's - however things have moved on considerably since then!

PPS - I did get banned once many years ago for being seriously - and potentially terminally - stupid and I did respect it.

When I owned a Citroen AX I was dismayed to learn that it was about the worst model, safety-wise, on British roads at the time.

The idea that if I crashed it I'd be found lying on the road surrounded by cornflake-sized bits of car was a powerful incentive to drive even more carefully than I already did.
Ha! I had a Citroën 2CV6 which I eventually replaced with a Citroën AX.

I had a lot of fun in both cars.

The 2CV was phenomenally good value and surprisingly fast if you drove smoothly and ignored the brakes. Also, if I got boxed in in a car park, I could deadlift it by the rear bumper and turn it round 45 degrees. All the weight was at the front.

The AX was like a go kart and... well, I got airborne twice on the same day, on the same bump in the road, in opposite directions, and was equally surprised each time. Happy days.

As for the worst model safety-wise: possibly, but still with more crash protection than a motorbike, bicycle, unicycle, or horse. (I write as a motorcyclist, bicyclist and unicyclist, and someone who rode a horse on the road exactly once, which was at least enough times in one lifetime and, if I am brutally honest, too many times.

@Cochise mentioned the ideas of a spike in the steering wheel or, more subtly, a taser-style bracelet for people convicted of dangerous driving.

My ex was a proponent of the idea that all young male drivers (the highest risk demographic for driving accidents) should be made to drive baby pink cars with fluffy/furry body panels. Her theory was that it would take some of the machismo out of owning a car.

My theory was that an elaborate pecking order of shades of pink, and complex part-shaven "hairstyles" for the cars would rapidly develop because, with enough determination, anything can become an exclusive badge for a rebellious sub culture.

Most banned drivers comply. This bloke is totally reckless - cloned number plates, giving a false name, 12 previous convictions for dangerous driving. The most worrying thing he did this time is abandoning the car on the railway. He could have killed people.

This time he was handed a 21-month sentence along with another driving ban and an extended driving test at the end of it.
None of that will stop him and he'll probably end up wrapped around a tree in a couple of years.
The railway line was disused (although he didn't know that when he left the car there). which is the main reason his sentence is so light. But really - what is the point of driving bans for people who just ignore them? They are the sort who drive without tax or insurance anyway, so there's no point in trying to stop them having cars, and if you are THAT bad a driver you will cause accidents in a 2CX anyway. You can't physically prevent someone hell bent on driving, from driving, basically.

Unless, maybe, you give them an atrocious case of piles. That could work.

The railway line was disused (although he didn't know that when he left the car there). which is the main reason his sentence is so light. But really - what is the point of driving bans for people who just ignore them? They are the sort who drive without tax or insurance anyway, so there's no point in trying to stop them having cars, and if you are THAT bad a driver you will cause accidents in a 2CX anyway. You can't physically prevent someone hell bent on driving, from driving, basically.

Unless, maybe, you give them an atrocious case of piles. That could work.
Yup, driving bans don't seem much help in dealing with persistent offenders until you remember they can be imprisoned for breaking them.

The problem is that, as we know, people can't be physically prevented from getting in a car and driving it unless they're locked up.

Most people do observe driving bans and change their ways. There will always be exceptions.

(I used to give a woman lifts to work when she 'lost' her car. Turned out she'd never taken a test and had been driving a relation's car illegally.
He was not best pleased when she was caught and the car was impounded!)

I like 2CV's. I myself would consider driving one even now if a) they still were sensible prices and b) I didn't need to use motorways much.

If you do cause accidents in a 2CV then the high likelihood is that you will not hurt other people in modern cars too much. But as Mikefule points out there are other vulnerable road users. As I said there are numerous defects in the approach, not least that in the modern world if some repeat offender did manage to exterminate himself in one no doubt the 'uman Rites' folk would be on it like a lion on an antelope.

But sometimes it's just a pleasant amusement to ponder what punishment is appropriate for the dickhead who provoked the first post in this subtopic :evil: .

Back