Out Of Place Animals

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Swiss authorities have suspended their hunt for a duck-devouring caiman reported from one of their lakes. They don't disbelieve the report; they've just decided to let it be.
Caiman went: Swiss authorities call off hunt for reptile

This caiman went: Swiss authorities say they’re calling off the hunt for an alligator-like reptile spotted in an inland lake, declaring it “a phantom.”

The meter-and-a-half (5-foot) long caiman was spotted by a fisherman in Lake Hallwil, about 50 kilometers west of Zurich, on July 14 when it briefly surfaced and scarfed down a duck.

Police considered the report credible, saying the caiman — indigenous to Central and South America — was likely an abandoned pet.

But spokesman Bernhard Graser told news site 20 Minuten Tuesday searches have been called off.

He says “he isn’t doing any harm, it’s like a kangaroo roaming around freely here — it doesn’t belong, but it doesn’t hurt either.”

Graser says: “He’ll probably remain a phantom, making it the summer story of the year.”
SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/7bee2aff2b5f4711a53f709e244dbfc5

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Apotropaic talisman?

Caiman skeleton discovered under Pentre primary school floor
2 August 2019

The skeleton was found when the floor of one of the classrooms at Ysgol Bodringallt, in Pentre, Rhondda Cynon Taff, was lifted during renovation work on Wednesday.

Head teacher Dr Neil Pike said workers were "shocked" and "didn't expect to find such a thing".

He said people had talked for decades of a crocodile being buried at the site.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49209737

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
Wild Zebras in California

Introduced by William Randolph Hearst who built a collection of various wild animals on his estate. When he hit hard times most were given to wildlife reserves or zoos but the Zebras were just released & now live wild on the land surrounding his ex home. There were 113 in 2016.
I drove by there once and saw the zebras on the beach. I figured they had something to do with Hearst, and didn't get too excited about it. After all, it's California. (I miss it!)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Apotropaic talisman?
There is a theory that crocs were a free-gift or novelty which salesmen offered to apothecaries. Almost every image of ye old drugge-shoppes has one on display, almost becoming the emblem of the trade. They were probably representative of the Nile Crocodile, as Egypt was the supposed source of so many powders and potions. I doubt it the suppliers were too fussy about the source of their crocs or their stocks.

The school may have acquired the thing as a teaching-aid or a sporting mascot. Primary Schools are often in buildings which once covered a wider age-range.

It is interesting that there was an oral tradition of the burial: maybe a tribe of kids were once compelled to witness some laying of the foundations and the decaying specimen was given a decent send-off. Could it once have been a rugby mascot? I doubt if a Welsh school would be encouraging belief in talismans, despite their pointy hats! :)

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
TARDIGRADES ON THE MOON!

If there were a competition for posting the story containing the most displaced animal in this thread, you've got to have taken the lead.

Also, it's grand to see Ben reach 100,000 subscribers. He deserves them. For anyone unfamiliar with his channel, it's excellent and informative.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Two families of crested grebes and several families of swans in the Rotterdam harbour. And many coots and seagulls. Between the steel, oil and diesel. Nature is resilient.
Imagine that a Dutch nature popularizer wrote in the 1920's >>> "Walked the Dutch countryside for several hours. But I saw a crested grebe!" In those days they were a rarity.

grebes.jpgswans.jpg

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Octopus found in Scafell Pike litter pick
The body of an octopus has been found during a litter pick near the top of England's highest mountain.
Dave Ascough, 43, from Stockport, leads mountain walks and found the 20cm (8in) cephalopod mollusc 10m (33ft) from the top of Scafell Pike in Cumbria.
He said: "My first reaction was that someone might have carried it up there, but it's quite possible a bird could have brought it up there."
Volunteers removed 10 bags of rubbish from the mountain during the pick.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-23144255

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
The body of an octopus has been found during a litter pick near the top of England's highest mountain. Volunteers removed 10 bags of rubbish from the mountain.
“My pet octopus Jeff was like the brother l never had. When he was diagnosed with the tentacular cancer that eventually killed him, he made me promise that l’d lay him to rest somewhere beautiful, with a view. He loved the Lake District...”

maximus otter

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Humpback whale spotted in Thames east of London

A humpback whale measuring at least 5 metres (16ft) has been spotted in the River Thames east of London.

“We are 99.9999% sure it is a humpback whale – there have been multiple sightings,” said a spokesman for the Port of London Authority (PLA), which oversees the river.

“It seems to be doing fine,” said Julia Cable, national coordinator for BDMLR. “We watched it doing normal diving and surfacing behaviour. It is surfacing once every five or six minutes, which is normal.”

Cable said there was no indication the whale spotted over the weekend was in any distress and it is hoped it would find its own way out.

She said the animal appears to be swimming as far upstream as Woolwich during high tide, then making its way further downstream during low tide. It was seen near Dagenham on Monday morning.

While humpback whales are sometimes seen off the British coast further north, Cable said it was very unusual for one to be seen within the Thames estuary. “It’s very likely that it just made a navigational error,” she added.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I was wondering if Benny the Beluga was still in the Thames at Gravesend where it's been since July. The closest I've been able to find is this from the Standard, Jan 2019.

Whale still thought to be living in Thames, expert says

The last actual sighting seems to be Dec 14.
The humpback article above mentions Benny the Beluga - he disappeared & it's assumed he made his own way back out to sea early this year.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Tell him you get a BA there, not a Boa.

Snakes alive! Students and teachers flee in terror as 12ft python falls through university ceiling in Thailand
  • Python flickers its forked tongue as it hangs from Thammasat University ceiling
  • Local rescue crew were called and reptile was released into wild
  • Thailand is home to three types of python; the reticulated python, the Burmese python and the Brongersma's short-tailed python
By CORAZON MILLER FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 12:51, 8 October 2019 | UPDATED: 16:22, 8 October 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7549863/Students-teachers-flee-terror-12ft-python-falls-university-ceiling-Thailand.html

Reactions: Jim

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Cougars sighted in Michigan -- 900 miles from nearest population

Wildlife officials in Michigan said two recent cougar sightings in the state's Upper Peninsula bring the total sightings for 2019 to five -- and the animals are likely escaped or released pets.

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources said a wildlife camera in northern Delta County recorded a mountain lion sighting Sept. 18, and a camera in southern Marquette County, about 14 miles away, recorded a cougar wandering Oct. 6.

The department said a total five confirmed cougar sightings have been recorded in 2019, and it's unclear whether all of the sightings involve the same animal.

Cougars were once native to Michigan, but the animals were eradicated from the state in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Officials said the cougars spotted in the Upper Peninsula are likely pets that escaped or were released by their owners. They said there is also a chance the cougars migrated from the nearest known breeding population in the Dakotas -- about 900 miles away.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...s-from-nearest-population/1421571847988/?sl=7

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The police will roo the day they issued that alert.

A police force which warned people to look out for a loose kangaroo has admitted it may not actually have existed.

Officers posted a picture on Facebook purporting to show the marsupial in Bulwell, Nottingham.When responses suggested it was more likely to be a deer or "larger than normal" dog, police insisted it wasn't.

But the force has since said: "We've looked into it and nothing's jumping out at us."

The blurry photo of the creature - dubbed the "Bulwellness monster" by the Nottinghamshire Police neighbourhood team, has been shared more than 1,000 times.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-50180495

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Cat-eyed snake arrives in Purrfleet.

A snake was found in the back of a lorry after travelling thousands of miles from India.

The slithery stowaway was discovered by staff at a freight company in Purfleet, Essex. The RSPCA said it was believed to be an "Indian cat-eyed snake, or boiga, which is mildly venomous". It is thought the runaway reptile had travelled more than 4,700 miles (7,600km) in the lorry, but despite that, it was in good health.

"Staff [at the Essex depot] said the lorry had travelled from India, so it's likely the snake had been on board for more than 7,600km," RSPCA animal collection officer David Eckworth said. "Luckily, this snake survived a very long journey, despite no obvious signs that he had access to food, water or appropriate heat."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-50635440

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Turtley unexpected.

A leatherback turtle weighing about a quarter of a tonne (250kg) has been found washed up near an Essex river.

A team from South Woodham coastguard found the body of the animal after getting calls from the public. The animal has been taken to the Natural History Museum in London for examination and preservation.

South Woodham station officer Andrew Dale said: "At 1.7m (5ft 7in) long we have no record of such a sighting on the east coast before."

The turtle was found washed up in Mundon Creek, just off the River Blackwater, at about 15:00 GMT on Wednesday. The team reported the find to the UK Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme (CSIP), which records the discovery of sea creatures such as whales, porpoises, dolphins and sharks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-50784094#

Jim

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Turtley unexpected.

A leatherback turtle weighing about a quarter of a tonne (250kg) has been found washed up near an Essex river.

A team from South Woodham coastguard found the body of the animal after getting calls from the public. The animal has been taken to the Natural History Museum in London for examination and preservation.

South Woodham station officer Andrew Dale said: "At 1.7m (5ft 7in) long we have no record of such a sighting on the east coast before."

The turtle was found washed up in Mundon Creek, just off the River Blackwater, at about 15:00 GMT on Wednesday. The team reported the find to the UK Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme (CSIP), which records the discovery of sea creatures such as whales, porpoises, dolphins and sharks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-50784094#
Must have been quite a startle seeing this giant washed up, they're somewhat rare as well. I was under the impression they inhabited warmer waters?

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
Last edited:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
'Tis the season? ....
Australia couple finds 10-foot python in Christmas tree

An Australia couple returned home from work and were shocked to find a 10-foot python coiled up on their Christmas tree.

Leanne Chapman of Brisbane said she and her partner returned to their home in the Highgate Hill area Thursday afternoon and noticed the birds on their balcony were acting unusually distressed.

"My partner's gone out there was actually videoing them because they were going mad," Chapman told 7News. "As he's turned around and stepped back, he didn't realize he was leaning on the Christmas tree with the snake wrapped around it."

She said they were both stunned when they spotted the serpent.

"It was a bit of a shock to begin with," she said. "You don't really expect to see a snake in your Christmas tree."

The couple said they left the snake alone and it left on its own accord after a few hours.

"After the initial shock wore off, it was a really beautiful snake," Chapman said. "It was actually quite nice to see it that close up because I've never seen anything like it before."
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...in-Christmas-tree/1331576267876/?spt=slh&or=2

Jim

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I suspect despite the map that they show the extreme at which the leatherbacks are found. They "were" once common off Florida, Mexico and the caribbean. However it's amazing how far migratory animals will migrate and or stray. An amazing giant beast that nearly gives the saltwater crocodile a run for the heaviest living reptile. Specimens have exceeded a 1 ton. Cool post.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
To add to Florida's list of wild non native species - pythons, iguanas,

Furry, cute and carrying herpes: what to do with Florida's invasive monkeys?

The monkeys are said to be descended from six macaques released in the 1930s. A man called Colonel Tooey, who operated a glass-bottom boat tour along the picturesque Silver River, came up with a cunning plan to boost riders. He released the monkeys on to an island, hoping to wow passengers with scenes of the primates swinging through the trees.

What Tooey apparently did not realize is that rhesus macaques are strong swimmers. The monkeys promptly swam away from the island and took up residence in the forest surrounding the river.

Undeterred, Tooey and other operators used food to lure the monkeys to shore for passengers’ pleasure. The scheme worked so well that Tooey dispatched another six macaques to the river in 1948.

It turned out that the monkeys were well-suited to the lush forests of central Florida. By 1980 there were an estimated 400 macaques roaming the area around the river.

The monkeys’ natural habitat spans thousands of miles of Asia, where they are found from Afghanistan to the Pacific coast of China, Johnson said. They have the largest range of any non-human primate.

About 25% of the monkeys harbor herpes B, which can be fatal to humans, and 4-14% of them were found to be “shedding the virus orally by mouth” – meaning a bite could transmit the virus.

“There’s a low risk, but very high consequence should something happen. Fortunately nothing has happened yet, but I wouldn’t want to have that looming over me if I was the state,” Johnson said.

As Johnson points out, there is no easy solution.

“If I was the manager I would want to try to have them removed,” he said.

“But it’s not an easy decision and it won’t be an easy task. It’s a lose-lose with the stakeholders. You’re gonna hurt a bunch of people if you decide to go in and remove them, and people aren’t gonna be happy with you if you allow them to stay.

“So it’s a complicated situation, no doubt.”

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Seals are for life, not just xmas.

A three-week-old seal pup is recovering after being found about 15 miles away from the sea on Boxing Day.

The RSPCA said the underweight pup was found by a family out walking their dogs on the banks of the River Bain in Lincolnshire. It is thought to have swum upstream in search of food from its home in the North Sea.

RSPCA inspector Kate Burris said: "The people who spotted him couldn't believe what they were seeing. The poor pup was trying to get into a small dyke when they noticed him. We think he had come down the weir and climbed up the bank."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-50974425

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Leopard chases dog into house.

Jan. 7 (UPI) -- Wildlife officials in India were called to a home where a leopard chased a family's dog into their house and ended up locked in a storage room.

The Forest Department in Tehri said the leopard was chasing a dog Monday in Anguda, Bhilangna, when the canine fled into its owner's house and the big cat followed. Homeowner Nagendera Singh said the dog managed to give the leopard the slip inside the home and Singh's nephew was able to close and lock a storeroom door behind the wild animal.

Forest Department officials were summoned to the home and captured the leopard, which was taken to the Chidiyapur rescue center in Haridwar.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/01/07/Leopard-captured-inside-home-in-Indian-village/2001578414028/

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Sri Lankan hotel where an elephant is a guest

A video of Natta Kota - or short tail - wandering around the hotel while poking things with his trunk went viral over the weekend.

While many watched and shared the video in amazement, staff at the Jetwing hotel near the Yala National Park said the fully grown Asian bull elephant has been "the hotel's most loyal patron" since 2013.

"In the initial years, Natta Kota was a seasonal visitor, appearing for a few months of the year before disappearing once more into the bush. During this period, he paid frequent visits to other resorts along the beach stretch as well," a Jetwing spokesperson told the BBC.

"A few years ago, he took up permanent residence at Jetwing where he is allowed to be at peace. Natta Kota spends his days sleeping in the shade of the scrubs and taking walks along the hotel's footpaths."

Natta Kota is not always on his best behaviour. He has been known to steal fruit from cars and food supplies from the kitchen.

But rather than punish him, hotel staff let Natta Kota off for his "mischievous moments" but warn visitors to keep an eye on their fruit and vegetables. An electric fence in front of the kitchen door now keeps him away from the hotel's stores.

"Natta Kota's calm demeanour has made him a delight to guests and videos of him helping himself to the hotel's trees are aplenty," Jetwing said