• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Picard series 2, episode 3, whilst maybe not quite as epic as episode 2, was still hugely entertaining.
Lots of hat tips to Kirk and The Voyage Home and the Borg Queen is developing into a major, intriguing character.
Can't wait to see how this story develops.

A bit too much like Voyage Home for me, it's kind of been there done that, and has a dose of First Contact in there too. Interesting that ST lore has said since the 1960s the world descended into chaos for a long time before it recovered, and they're certainly keeping that up. But still a big improvement on season 1.

Picard's security code is 000? You can tell he is getting older.

Picard's security code is 000? You can tell he is getting older.

But I'm sure he spells his password P1c@rd to out-fox those sneaky Borg.

My favourite bit was when Picard was negotiating with the Borg Queen and asked her what she wanted - "Well some legs for starters" was a cool line!

That's ST Disco s4 over with, no spoilers but I quite liked the final episode, despite the UTI (Unwanted Tilly Intrusion). It means well, it's just awfully clunky, but this slotted together its plot threads quite nicely. Now please, can we have a ST series that doesn't feature a massively destructive anomaly heading towards Earth? The stakes don't need to be sky high for good drama.

A bit too much like Voyage Home for me, it's kind of been there done that, and has a dose of First Contact in there too. Interesting that ST lore has said since the 1960s the world descended into chaos for a long time before it recovered, and they're certainly keeping that up. But still a big improvement on season 1.

Episode 4 exploits the whole Voyage Home thing even more - watch out for the punk on the bus!
Not entirely sure that the young Guinan was strictly canon, but this is still superb Star Trek and is orders of magnitude more entertaining than Discovery.

I know this is sacreligious in the extremes: but.... I do rather like what the STC team did.

By which I mean an insanely self-invested fan-fic extrapolation of TOS, with multiple episodes, infinitely-detailed soundstage sets, clever casting and just generally 'keeping the faith'. If you haven't 'done it yet', have a dip (you won't regret it)

To quote @stu neville ......"There's Something About Star Trek...." :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/StarTrekContinues

Episode 4 exploits the whole Voyage Home thing even more - watch out for the punk on the bus!
Not entirely sure that the young Guinan was strictly canon, but this is still superb Star Trek and is orders of magnitude more entertaining than Discovery.

Yeah, same punk I think? Nice bit, but very self-indulgent! I'd have preferred Young Guinan if she'd looked and acted more like Whoopi Goldberg's Guinan. One good thing about Disco: their in-joke was a starship called The Yelchin, which I thought was a really nice touch and just mentioned in passing.

The 'Horror' channel (on UK Digital Terrestrial TV) occasionally shows episode of The Original Series (but that still doesn't mean that I'm necessarily able to watch them....usually). However, I'm currently watching tv in a hotel (? I think that's what it is, anyway) and such a luxury has allowed me to re-watch:

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky

(which according to Wiki is Series 3 Episode 8....).

I say re-watch: I've not actually seen this episode since the early 1970s and it is just superb in every possible way.

I fully remembered the underpinning trope (oft-used elsewhere in sci-fic, that of ancestral descendants of an extinct race, living on a spaceship that they believe to be a planet, with a cargo-culture misinterpretation of technology and context), but there's so much more to it.

David Alan Mac's observations are spot-on
The episode's performances are quite good, all things considered. William Shatner's scenery chewing is kept in check, and DeForest Kelley brings a quiet dignity to his portrayal of McCoy facing his own imminent demise. The argument between McCoy and Nurse Christine Chapel (Majel Barrett) feels genuine and heartfelt, and Leonard Nimoy brings the perfect degree of quiet compassion to the moment when Spock, having learned of McCoy's illness, reaches out to steady his wounded friend, and McCoy reacts with understated surprise at Spock's sudden display of concern. In fact, that scene is the best one in the entire episode, because it captures the dynamics of the three principals' friendship in a single, eloquently dramatized moment

Unlike D.A.M, I do buy the love affair between Bones and Natira (played by the gorgeous Katherine Greenwood): for me, it works.

If you're a ST fan, especially of The Original Series, what do you think of this interesting and canonical episode? I'm so glad I've had the chance to see it again after half-a-century....

The 'Horror' channel (on UK Digital Terrestrial TV) occasionally shows episode of The Original Series (but that still doesn't mean that I'm necessarily able to watch them....usually). However, I'm currently watching tv in a hotel (? I think that's what it is, anyway) and such a luxury has allowed me to re-watch:

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky

(which according to Wiki is Series 3 Episode 8....).

I say re-watch: I've not actually seen this episode since the early 1970s and it is just superb in every possible way.

I fully remembered the underpinning trope (oft-used elsewhere in sci-fic, that of ancestral descendants of an extinct race, living on a spaceship that they believe to be a planet, with a cargo-culture misinterpretation of technology and context), but there's so much more to it.

David Alan Mac's observations are spot-on

Unlike D.A.M, I do buy the love affair between Bones and Natira (played by the gorgeous Katherine Greenwood): for me, it works.

If you're a ST fan, especially of The Original Series, what do you think of this interesting and canonical episode? I'm so glad I've had the chance to see it again after half-a-century....
I’m watching these remastered episodes and loving them. The new Enterprise orbiting the planet shots are reworked and brought up to date just enough to look in place for a modern audiences. What modern viewers may not appreciate was the ground-breaking casting at a time when civil rights and anti war protestors would clear the streets to watch the latest episode.

The tropes and ideas explored in later series owe it all to the original and Roddenberry’s vision.

I got the Horror app on my TV which allows me to stream my favourite old shows around the time they’re aired and so far I’ve caught Space 1999, UFO, Star Trek TOS and now The Prisoner.

Picard episode 5.

**** Warning geek alert ahead ****

Loved this fast-moving story, but freeze-frame it at 35:46 and spot the silly mistakes on Renée Picard's identity card.
How could she get past security with an obviously forged ID on which not only République Française is spelled incorrectly, but inconsistent dates are printed, some in USA mmddyyyy and some in European ddmmyyyy format?
Didn't ruin my enjoyment of an otherwise cracking episode too much mind you!

I'm impressed by their level of security. I imagine a real NASA party is just a guy with a clipboard with names on it.

You'd be surprised. From my own local community page...
Screenshot_20220403-071948_Facebook.jpg

Is Jo your friendly neighbourhood spaceman, or just an enthusiast?

Yep looks good but IMO (as with a lot of things these days) very 'CGI heavy'. Often, I find, this is done to make up for a lack elsewhere, such as either the script or the acting.
Basically, I'm always suspicious of things that are covered in too much 'chrome'.

Looks like they've found their sense of humour for SNW, and I don't mean intragalactic social worker sense of humour, either. If it's a romp, then that's all to the good. As for the CGI, the lesson for TV SF these days seems to be if you got the budget for it, flaunt it! Whatever their flaws, the new ST shows all look great.

Hmm. Singing in Picard. Not sure about that. Sir Patrick will be asking to do it next, and nobody needs to hear that (again).

Hmm. Singing in Picard. Not sure about that. Sir Patrick will be asking to do it next, and nobody needs to hear that (again).

No! After Sir Ian McKellen's singing in Cats we don't need another Knight being brought into disrepute.

Trailer for Strange New Worlds. I'm getting a TOS vibe from it.
If I was Captain, anyone who came up with a flip cliche or humorous backchat right after I‘ve given them a serious order would find themselves teleported into the ship’s sewer system for fatberg duty.

ST IV The Voyage Home was on telly last night.
Seemed longer than I remember. But enjoyable for the fact that they injected a bit of unnecessary humour into it.
Memorable for "......nuclear wessels...." amongst other things.

ST IV The Voyage Home was on telly last night.
Seemed longer than I remember. But enjoyable for the fact that they injected a bit of unnecessary humour into it.
Memorable for "......nuclear wessels...." amongst other things.
They've been showing the Star Trek movies a lot recently. In spite of the legend that every odd numbered Star Trek movie is trash, I've come to the conclusion that The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home make a pretty fun trilogy. The Search for Spock is much better than I remember.

So Dr. Soong has a sinister secret and the Borg Queen has a wicked sense of humour.
And what the hell is Q up to this time?
Great stuff. Really enjoying Picard (despite the silly mistakes on Renée Picard's ID)

picard.png

Oh, it was the psychotherapy episode of ST: Picard. We get enough of that with Disco, thanks very much. Surprised to see Dr Baltar from Battlestar Galactica appearing. At least he got new work after that ended.

Oh, it was the psychotherapy episode of ST: Picard. We get enough of that with Disco, thanks very much. Surprised to see Dr Baltar from Battlestar Galactica appearing. At least he got new work after that ended.

Yes, Picard series 2 episode 7 - Monsters was a strange and slightly derivative one.
It gave me very strong vibes from the Red Dwarf episode Terrorform, in which Rimmer was trapped in a dungeon created from his own subconscious, with the monsters being manifestations of his hang-ups.
I'd not thought of there being much overlap between Jean-Luc Picard and Arnold Rimmer before, but now, I can't unthink it.

Last edited:
Getting very First Contact - if the Borg had succeeded - this week. Even contact with the Vulcans in flashback!

Back