• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Crimes

Not the Texas Instruments ones. Despite Moore's Law and all that, they still cost about the same as they did 20 years ago.

I think (anyone from the US correct me if I'm wrong) many schools in the US require students to supply more of their own stationary and office supplies than we are used to doing in the UK. There are a lot of school age people out there - therefore a definite market for cut-price supplies. It's maybe not as daft as it looks.

Or, maybe they were going to ship them to Florida - and pass them off as mobile phones.

Edit: When I was at school (in the UK) I took my own pen and calculator, maybe a geometry set. But we weren't expected to provide much more beyond that. Maybe it's changed since then.

I just did a quick search for Texas Instruments calculator and the prices were between £10 and about £200.

When I was at school we used log tables or a slide rule.
Before calculators became widely available, I had to use a slide rule. I had 2 of them - but I don't know where they are.
My Dad bought a Sinclair calculator, which he never used. I have it here, it's in perfect working order. I'm trying to sell it, because it's worth about 50 quid.

I just did a quick search for Texas Instruments calculator and the prices were between £10 and about £200.

When I was at school we used log tables or a slide rule.
Well when  I was at school we used standing stones. The rich kids used an abacus.

Actually, I remember using an abacus...

Before calculators became widely available, I had to use a slide rule. I had 2 of them - but I don't know where they are.
My Dad bought a Sinclair calculator, which he never used. I have it here, it's in perfect working order. I'm trying to sell it, because it's worth about 50 quid.
I had one of those once. I seem to remember it used Polish notation to display the result. If I remember correctly there was the Sinclair Scientific and the Sinclair Oxford. Ah, memories.....

Grandpa sues gambling company because grandson (17) gambled away over half a million euros

A 77-year-old Dutch man is suing gambling company Bingoal because his 17-year-old grandson was able to forfeit over 162,000 euros from grandpa's savings account in two months without the company intervening.

In total, the boy chased through over half a million from his grandfather's account with 18 different providers in that short period. The grandson had managed to access his grandfather's account.

The grandfather holds Bingoal first liable because that is where the most money went of those eighteen providers. The grandson also opened one of his first accounts there and the gambling company took little or no action for months, according to the grandfather.

According to lawyer André Bussink, Bingoal "seriously failed" in its legal duty of care in this case. He refers to an article of law stating that providers must suspend a gaming account "upon reasonable suspicion that the player may cause harm to himself or his loved ones through excessive participation or gambling addiction".

Bussink's client not only demands the 162,500 euros back; he also wants damages. That consists of the hundreds of thousands of euros his grandson lost with the other providers.

The 77-year-old man argues that most of that damage would not have occurred if Bingoal, a Belgian gambling company also licensed in the Netherlands, had fulfilled its obligations immediately.

Minors are not allowed to gamble by law, partly because they are at extra high risk of addiction. But the associated identity and age verification is limited in practice.

In this case, according to lawyer Bussink, it was enough for the boy to send a copy of his father's passport to get started. He could access his grandfather's money because his father managed grandfather's digital banking and he had swiped the pin codes.

On his first day of play, almost exactly a year ago, he immediately lost 17,500 euros at Bingoal. In the weeks that followed, the losses mounted at lightning speed. Mainly because he had set the playing limits to the absolute maximum. This allowed him to deposit 30,000 euros a week into his account and gamble online at Bingoal for 18 hours a day.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

https://nos.nl/artikel/2512040-opa-...inzoon-17-ruim-een-half-miljoen-euro-vergokte

I had to have a Texas Instrument scientific calculator for high school (trig, physics mostly). We were not allowed to use calculators for tests until high school, and then when we did, we were taking algebra:chuckle:. The only use a calculator is for algebra is to see if your numbers work with the equations.

In high school, you supplied everything. The school supplied the worn textbooks.

1710104535870.png

I thought that the fast was voluntary.

The Islamic police in Nigeria's northern state of Kano arrested 11 Muslims on Tuesday who were seen eating food during the Ramadan fast.

Kano has a majority Muslim population, where an Islamic legal system - Sharia - operates alongside secular law.

The Islamic police, widely known as Hisbah, carry out searches of eateries and markets every year during Ramadan.

The 10 men and one woman were released after swearing an oath that they would not purposely miss a fast again.

"We got 11 persons on Tuesday including a lady selling groundnuts who was seen eating from her wares and some persons alerted us," Hisbah spokesman Lawal Fagge told the BBC.

"The other 10 were men and were arrested across the city especially close to markets where a lot of activities happen."

He added that the search operations would continue but said that non-Muslims were exempt.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-68552431

I thought that the fast was voluntary.

The Islamic police in Nigeria's northern state of Kano arrested 11 Muslims on Tuesday who were seen eating food during the Ramadan fast.

Kano has a majority Muslim population, where an Islamic legal system - Sharia - operates alongside secular law.

The Islamic police, widely known as Hisbah, carry out searches of eateries and markets every year during Ramadan.

The 10 men and one woman were released after swearing an oath that they would not purposely miss a fast again.

"We got 11 persons on Tuesday including a lady selling groundnuts who was seen eating from her wares and some persons alerted us," Hisbah spokesman Lawal Fagge told the BBC.

"The other 10 were men and were arrested across the city especially close to markets where a lot of activities happen."

He added that the search operations would continue but said that non-Muslims were exempt.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-68552431
Under Islamic rules, it's also allowed to eat food if you are diabetic.
Some years ago, while on a contract job in London, I asked a devout Muslim man at work about it, and that's what he said.

Some years ago, while on a contract job in London, I asked a devout Muslim man at work about it, and that's what he said.

Try telling that to the Islamic Police!

I think it's not so much a case of religious demand, more than the authorities or police using the religion to act.

I think it's not so much a case of religious demand, more than the authorities or police using the religion to act.
The area mentioned is ruled by Sharia law. So somewhat different than other areas that may be Muslim, but not under Sharia law.

Are there exemptions from fasting?

Yes, certain groups are exempt from fasting during Ramadan. These include children who have not reached puberty, menstruating women, the elderly or chronically ill, and travelers on long journeys.

https://shaykhi.com/ramadan-fasting/

maximus otter

Back