• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
You all know that modern cash tills work on registering transactions via the internet, right? And they use electricity to power them. So if there is a major disaster then cash will only be used as a barter system between private people. Shops can't process or bank it if the internet goes down.

Maybe your local corner shop could as they are probably cooking the books anyway and not logging all cash transactions anyway.

Card payments can be stored loclally and processed even if the internet goes down (on some systems). When the internet is back on, they uploads all the stored transactions.

Sweden is 90% cashless but we also have lots of different systems in place to make it easy, simple and safe for people to pay electronically.
Tills can be opened manually. Calculators can be used instead of the till. Or a UPS can be used to power a simple till.
How did we ever manage back in the old days?

You all know that modern cash tills work on registering transactions via the internet, right? And they use electricity to power them. So if there is a major disaster then cash will only be used as a barter system between private people. Shops can't process or bank it if the internet goes down.

Maybe your local corner shop could as they are probably cooking the books anyway and not logging all cash transactions anyway.

Card payments can be stored loclally and processed even if the internet goes down (on some systems). When the internet is back on, they uploads all the stored transactions.

Sweden is 90% cashless but we also have lots of different systems in place to make it easy, simple and safe for people to pay electronically.
Most card transaction machines in the UK (not sure about elsewhere) are linked directly to the banks and will not process a transaction if there is no response from the issuing bank, so it would be difficult to store card transactions, many years ago when i worked in a large pet superstore, during a power cut the till staff had to make a note of all the products being bought and use calculators to work out payments and change, whilst operating on a cash only basis.

Most card transaction machines in the UK (not sure about elsewhere) are linked directly to the banks and will not process a transaction if there is no response from the issuing bank, so it would be difficult to store card transactions, many years ago when i worked in a large pet superstore, during a power cut the till staff had to make a note of all the products being bought and use calculators to work out payments and change, whilst operating on a cash only basis.
That wouldn't happen now, I suggest.

Tills can be opened manually. Calculators can be used instead of the till. Or a UPS can be used to power a simple till.
How did we ever manage back in the old days?
By using goods sold in brown paper bags, on to which the cost was added up by using a pencil (usually licked before use, and taken from the dark recesses of ones lughole!) - which also acted as a receipt when you got home... as I remember!

Last edited:

Have you had the Biohax chip inserted yet?

I paid a visit to my local pub earlier and was told they had an issue with their chip and pin machine yesterday, which resulted in them asking people to come in today to settle their bills. Cash transactions had no such issues.

I had mine inserted yesterday...
1624268847678.png
This was the encoded one!

I just checked the official stats for the UK and was a bit surprised to see that 20% of transactions are still made with cash.
Thought it would be < 10% by now.
But at the rate cash transactions are disappearing, I expect the UK rate to be similar to Sweden's by this time next year.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/c...% of spending in,first time, the figures show.

Was in a supermarket when the electric went off.
They locked the door then asked customers how
Much the stuff in the basket was worth and took that no idea what they did if you had no cash

Was in a supermarket when the electric went off.
They locked the door then asked customers how
Much the stuff in the basket was worth and took that no idea what they did if you had no cash
They asked the customers to price up the goods?
Extraordinary.

A few weeks ago, I went into my branch to do a cashpoint withdrawal to see the staff fearfully huddled inside by the entrance wondering what was going on. Their system was down and this was on a saturday afternoon. Luckily. I always keep a cash float in the wallet PRECISELY for this reason.

Coincidence alert!

Tonight at the till, 10 minutes before the supermarket shut, I had all my shopping scanned by the assistant bagged up, ready to pay.

My credit card was not accepted by the machine, an error message could not read it's chip.

I keep a £20 cash float in my wallet, but my shopping was a lot more.

They would not let me swipe the card either.

So I ran to a cashpoint, it was down!

Thank G-D found another cashpoint, ran back to the supermarket, and paid 5 minutes before closing.

Lesson learned, will keep a larger cash float for supermarket visit, though not daily use as I do not like walking around with large amounts of cash.
I will also get a backup credit card, as I do not like taking a debit card out of the house. It is linked to the account my bills and mortgage come from, and I want to minimise risk on that account.

They’ll be getting us customers to stack the fucking shelves next.
Ha... where I live (don't know if all stores are operating the same policy or not), but in Wilkinson's (our store) you bring your purchases to the checkout, and you are told to operate the scanner yourself on each item, and then pay on screen (via card).
Meanwhile, an assistant stands around and watches the checkouts - doing nothing!
I was wondering what the heck are they getting paid for, when the customer is completely self-serving (which I definitely object having to do) and they just watch?

Last edited:
I didn't know that this was a thing. I still get impressed seeing people do contactless-pay with their Apple watches.

I saw a documentary of a man who had implanted magnets into his fingertips. I can't remember why he did it but I guess he never drops his cutlery anymore.

Having seen the recent fuss about having to wear a mask and get a jab, I can only imagine the global bother that’ll be made when you’re told you need to have a chip inserted before you can by some wine gums.

I think one of the drivers for cashless that has come out of the pandemic, though it hardly needed emphasising, was just how much of a transmission vector cash can be.

We have all heard about cocaine contamination but the fact that literally dirty notes can harbour bugs is just another reason to consign them to history.

And don't worry, there are any number of people working on solutions to have the equivalent of cash transactions, even in the digital world, whereby there is no reason to track it or document it. Everything from the flipping a coin into a busker's hat to paying for a second hand chair you found on the local classifieds, doesn't need to be recorded centrally, stored and analysed.

I too am profoundly worried by the potential for a loss of privacy through the move away from cash, but to be honest, for most small transactions, most governments can't be arsed to keep track and are not interested.

Having done a fair bit of exploration professionally of blockchain technologies, which is the processing infrastructure behind cryptocurrency, there will be solutions pretty soon whereby you will have digital wallet from which you can spend certain amounts on certain things that will not be defined beyond the fact that it is there or it is not, preserving some of the utility, and privacy, of cash. Though it may draw some attention of you spend the digital equivalent of €50,000 on 'cat grooming'.

I think one of the drivers for cashless that has come out of the pandemic, though it hardly needed emphasising, was just how much of a transmission vector cash can be.
Is it? Is there any evidence for this?

Is it? Is there any evidence for this?

Coronaviruses can survive on paper for a while, according to credible sources, but in the case of COVID-19 it is not a significant cause for concern.

I was thinking more in the general context of a heightened awareness of any form of transmission. As it became increasingly obvious that there were more vectors for COVID-19 than droplets and fluids, currency was re-examined and highlighted for its ability, in general, to become a transmission vector for pathogens. Bacterial infections are more likely to come from dirty notes, with a variety of agents found. There are also some fungal species that can be found too.

In the broader context of preventing the next pandemic, cash, and notes in particular, is a very difficult vulnerability to police. Ironically, the other big source of contamination of notes, cocaine, is an effective antibacterial agent!

I think with the advances made with digital currencies, cash is going to become an increasingly rare phenomenon, and there will be ways found to preserve casual transactions. But one of the drivers of that reduction in usage will be public health concerns, I would argue.

We have all heard about cocaine contamination but the fact that literally dirty notes can harbour bugs is just another reason to consign them to history.

“The principal mode by which people are infected with SARS-CoV-2 virus is through exposure to respiratory droplets, the CDC said. While not impossible, the agency said the risk of infection through [contact with contaminated surfaces or objects] is "generally less than 1 in 10,000."

The CDC guidance, coming more than a year into the pandemic, is the strongest argument yet against what some critics have dubbed "hygiene theater."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...nsmission-on-surfaces-1-in-10-000/ar-BB1fkdeb

maximus otter

A supermarket chain in Sweden has been shut down for a few days, as an IT attack made the cash registers stop working. I believe the same has happened in a few other countries, where they used the same system.

A supermarket chain in Sweden has been shut down for a few days, as an IT attack made the cash registers stop working. I believe the same has happened in a few other countries, where they used the same system.
Yes it was down to the cyber attack in the U.S

"About 200 US businesses have been hit by a "colossal" ransomware attack, according to a cyber-security firm.

Huntress Labs said the hack targeted Florida-based IT company Kaseya before spreading through corporate networks that use its software.

Kaseya said in a statement on its own website that it was investigating a "potential attack".

Huntress Labs said it believed the Russia-linked REvil ransomware gang was responsible."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57703836

Yes it was down to the cyber attack in the U.S

"About 200 US businesses have been hit by a "colossal" ransomware attack, according to a cyber-security firm.

Huntress Labs said it believed the Russia-linked REvil ransomware gang was responsible."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57703836
I was going to post this yesterday but I didn't get round to it. This supermarket chain (Co-op) also take cash but as I mentioned up thread, if the internet goes down then they can't take cash anyway. So they have had their doors locked and are having to individually reboot and reinstall every computer. They've called in hundereds of IT technicians to do it.

What is little known about Sweden is that the month of July is sacred and holy as the holiday month. Everyone is on vacation. Nothing gets done but as everyone is off it kind of works. So calling in all these IT guys will be phenomenally expensive.

The hackers announced their demand today - $70 million.

Also affected in Sweden is a chain of chemists, a chain of self-serve petrol stations and the national rail company, SJ.

I was going to post this yesterday but I didn't get round to it. This supermarket chain (Co-op) also take cash but as I mentioned up thread, if the internet goes down then they can't take cash anyway. So they have had their doors locked and are having to individually reboot and reinstall every computer. They've called in hundereds of IT technicians to do it.

What is little known about Sweden is that the month of July is sacred and holy as the holiday month. Everyone is on vacation. Nothing gets done but as everyone is off it kind of works. So calling in all these IT guys will be phenomenally expensive.

The hackers announced their demand today - $70 million.

Also affected in Sweden is a chain of chemists, a chain of self-serve petrol stations and the national rail company, SJ.
So how is Sweden’s cashless society working out now then?

So how is Sweden’s cashless society working out now then?
The same as the with-cash society. No one could buy anything in that chain of supermarkets regardless of payment method because the tills, pricing systems, barcode scanners and everything you find in a modern shop is connected to a computer. However, some of them remained open as they weren't connected to the main central system. And you can still buy online with a card for home delivery. So not too bad.

But I get your point. The corner shop will still be able to take cash when everything goes down as they can open their cash drawer and everything has price tags. But larger operations (such as banks) won't be able to function. They won't be able to accept or dispense cash if their computer systems are down. I don't know if I'm in favour of a cashless society but seeing as how all major infrastructure is based around the internet, if TSHTF then everything will grind to a halt. Cash or not. Money (cash or electronic transactions) will only have a worth if we all agree to believe that society will return to normal and it will have a value in the future.

Back