• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

In the same idea I knew someone who had been christened as Freddie.
I know two Freddies - one was named after the England cricketer, but the other's too old for that.

My middle name is Frederick and some of my older friends still call me Fred, which I went by at university. It started when I was in a drama group as a teenager and three of not many of us had the same first name – and it stuck.

I was never a Freddie or Frederick, always a Fred – and at that time it was a name that really stood out, and given what I used to wear at the time* it was in keeping with my character.

* Including but not restricted to: silk trousers (one pair of pale green in raw silk, one lilac, one white...), paper-lined plastic polka-dot trousers (I couldn't move much...), wing collar with a silk tie-up bow tie, long flowing cape etc etc!!

They are too similar imo.
One of the Branston's version (small chunks) even has a red band on.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 10
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 13
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 13
Yes. I've seen pickle there called Bramwells and it has a yellow band and green background just like Branston's.

It also annoys me how Heinz (who branched into the mayonnaise arena a few years ago) have a similar design to Hellmann's.
Not quite as similar as the aforementioned pickles, but still.

I refuse to buy theirs on principle that they have cornered the market in ketchup and it's just greed on their part.
There's only one mayo.

I'm surprised that no-one's pointed out there's one mayo, but it goes by two names.

I know two Freddies - one was named after the England cricketer, but the other's too old for that.

My middle name is Frederick and some of my older friends still call me Fred, which I went by at university. It started when I was in a drama group as a teenager and three of not many of us had the same first name – and it stuck.

I was never a Freddie or Frederick, always a Fred – and at that time it was a name that really stood out, and given what I used to wear at the time* it was in keeping with my character.

* Including but not restricted to: silk trousers (one pair of pale green in raw silk, one lilac, one white...), paper-lined plastic polka-dot trousers (I couldn't move much...), wing collar with a silk tie-up bow tie, long flowing cape etc etc!!

I know a Freddie, she's a miniature schnauzer.

* good thing you explained, my first vision was:

https://clipart-library.com/newhp/1...s-the-flintstones-9-plush-fred-flintstone.png

They are too similar imo.
One of the Branston's version (small chunks) even has a red band on.
I'd guess though, if you are in Aldi or Lidle you would be aware of this kind of thing. Different if it's on the shelf in Tesco, alongside Branston.

I'd guess though, if you are in Aldi or Lidle you would be aware of this kind of thing. Different if it's on the shelf in Tesco, alongside Branston.
Yes, that's true. It's the principal of the matter though. Especially with Heinz/Hellmann's mayo which are together in stores.
(Is there really any need for so many letters in Hellmann?)

There's too many varieties of everything, fershrissakes.
I'm sure that there is absolutely no need whatsoever for a whole aisle in the supermarket dedicated to breakfast cereals, is there?
They could get away with just a few shelves, at most.
Shredded Wheat, Cornflakes, a couple of sweet ones for the kiddiwinks, and the Weetabix. Sorted.

Maybe there's a gap in the market for a shop to open that only sells one brand of anything.
EG just one mayo, and that being Hellmanns. Only Heinz Baked Beans. Only one brand of white bread, and only 'medium' sliced at that.

Oh hang on, sorry, I thought I was on the 'whinge' thread.

Maybe there's a gap in the market for a shop to open that only sells one brand of anything.
EG just one mayo, and that being Hellmanns. Only Heinz Baked Beans. Only one brand of white bread, and only 'medium' sliced at that.

That is what it was like here in Sweden when I moved here 20 years ago. It has only recently got better (as in maybe the last 5 years or so). Before if you wanted to buy something you would find one major Swedish brand and then the supermarkets own. But that's it. I used to get so frustrated trying to find stuff. There is still only maybe half an aisle of cereals and maybe less for biscuits. Hellmanns mayonnaise is still only available in one supermarket chain AFAIK. Sorry, back to the thread.

The Converse logo has always been on the inside of the ankle.
I used to think Converse had the logo on the outside until I actually bought some.

It's understandable to assume the logo is on the outside, since it would be more visible there. The reason it's on the inside is that it's the vestige of a padded patch that existed on the original leather version of the shoes. It was there to protect a player's ankle from accidental strikes from the other foot.

It's understandable to assume the logo is on the outside, since it would be more visible there. The reason it's on the inside is that it's the vestige of a padded patch that existed on the original leather version of the shoes. It was there to protect a player's ankle from accidental strikes from the other foot.
Makes sense. Can't say I've ever suffered Converse-related mental confusion, apart from briefly wondering why the inside of the ankle bones on my brothers' 'bumpers' (as baseball boots were known here) needed padding.

Makes sense. Can't say I've ever suffered Converse-related mental confusion, apart from briefly wondering why the inside of the ankle bones on my brothers' 'bumpers' (as baseball boots were known here) needed padding.
There's a thing called 'brushing boots' for horses to stop them doing the same thing.

I used to kick myself on the ankle all the time when I was younger. Now I think the layout of my legs must have changed, because I clonk my knees together more than anything else.

There's too many varieties of everything, fershrissakes.
I'm sure that there is absolutely no need whatsoever for a whole aisle in the supermarket dedicated to breakfast cereals, is there?
They could get away with just a few shelves, at most.
Shredded Wheat, Cornflakes, a couple of sweet ones for the kiddiwinks, and the Weetabix. Sorted.

Yes. Bang on.

I use peanut/groundnut oil for cooking, which isn't that radical. But you can often find dozens and dozens (and dozens) of different versions of olive oil, but not one peanut oil. It's madness and drives Mrs Cycleboy to despair.

Yes. Bang on.

I use peanut/groundnut oil for cooking, which isn't that radical. But you can often find dozens and dozens (and dozens) of different versions of olive oil, but not one peanut oil. It's madness and drives Mrs Cycleboy to despair.
I’m surprised you can’t find it - Waitrose, Sainsbury, Morrison, Tesco all have it on their websites. Probably not a big seller but you'd expect to find some at least..

I’m surprised you can’t find it - Waitrose, Sainsbury, Morrison, Tesco all have it on their websites. Probably not a big seller but you'd expect to find some at least..
We usually shop at Sainsbury's, which is the most convenient, and it's usually available, sometimes in the Asian foods section, but why soooooo many olive oils?! You only need a few!!

Yes. Bang on.

I use that oil too. It only ever comes in a small bottle, which is annoying. However, it does keep forever and it can be used to top up the oil level in a jar of peanut butter.

Saw someone on a train earlier with their legs crossed... which did put the logo on the outside!
I've got a pair of fake cons I bought in a French supermarket that look good but they've got soles like tissue paper so they'll last about 2 months until I need to chuck them with the amount of walking I get up to.

I've got a pair of fake cons I bought in a French supermarket that look good but they've got soles like tissue paper so they'll last about 2 months until I need to chuck them with the amount of walking I get up to.
My Converse hi-tops are genuine, but not great for a huge amount of walking, because the sole isn't cushioned enough. I've had to put in a pair of insoles to make it possible for me to walk around town in them without getting achey feet because of the constant pounding on concrete.

My Converse hi-tops are genuine, but not great for a huge amount of walking, because the sole isn't cushioned enough. I've had to put in a pair of insoles to make it possible for me to walk around town in them without getting achey feet because of the constant pounding on concrete.
Same here. You feel every pebble don't you.

I’ve noticed when I was into converse (it’s Skechers now) that some have squishier insoles than others.

We usually shop at Sainsbury's, which is the most convenient, and it's usually available, sometimes in the Asian foods section, but why soooooo many olive oils?! You only need a few!!
In the supermarket sometimes, when people mutter about there being too many of something, I say 'yes, we should be more like Soviet era Russia, one thing on the shelf and you either buy it or don't.'

Yes. Bang on.

Had a check yesterday and they have plenty here.
I'm glad I looked actually, because I also saw the sesame oil that I had a few years ago and enjoyed, so I'll get that again soon.

There's a thing called 'brushing boots' for horses to stop them doing the same thing.

I used to kick myself on the ankle all the time when I was younger. Now I think the layout of my legs must have changed, because I clonk my knees together more than anything else.
I once kicked myself hard on the thigh when wearing rollerboots and left a perfect wheel-shaped bruise. :chuckle:

My fake memory is from last Friday.
This is the day the bins are emptied and collected which could be anytime.
I was sure that I saw the recycle one come quite early but as it was drizzly I left it till the other one was emptied.
That wasn't till after 1 o'clock so I left the bins till after 2 so that I could check the letterbox at the same time.
I pulled the bins back in and had just finished when the collection truck came down the court.
Looked in the bin and my rubbish was still there of course.
I was not pleased.

Back