• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

When my son was born we gave him a reasonably common name but spelt unusually.
He has since told me that it is both a blessing and a curse because he has to repeatedly tell people how his name is spelt, and yet he knows when someone has only heard his name being said and not seen it written down, which helps him (eg) identify unsolicited communications etc.
Also, he has registered his full name as a net domain name that nobody else has already got.

My dad was known as 'Tim' all his life, despite being christened 'Harold'; his older sister couldn't say Harold, so called him Timmy, after the cat, and it just stuck! The sister's name was Inez, which I always thought was very exotic for 1930s Cornwall :)

My maternal grandmother was another Peggy/Margaret, I never understood that, although I sort of do now.

Also, name shortenings. Margaret to Peggy? Who came up with that one?

My mother was christened Betty. Not Elizabeth, just plain Betty. But many people assumed it was a contraction. Her sister was Peggy. Not Margaret, just Peggy. Researching our family tree would be a treat...

In the same idea I knew someone who had been christened as Freddie.

My dad was known as 'Tim' all his life, despite being christened 'Harold'; his older sister couldn't say Harold, so called him Timmy, after the cat, and it just stuck! The sister's name was Inez, which I always thought was very exotic for 1930s Cornwall :)

My maternal grandmother was another Peggy/Margaret, I never understood that, although I sort of do now.
I only found out my Nan's real name was Mary and not Pat (Patricia) at her funeral. That and she was a Glaswegian and not from Edinburgh like she'd told me. She was deaf in one ear from the time she was a young woman working in a 'munitions' factory during WW2. That's what I was told anyway. I'm probably going to learn that she was MI6 instead at this rate.

aJEJ.jpg

Im not sure if this really fits here, since we dont have a mandela effect forum, maybe we need one!

I vividly remember a fish being genetically modified to have ‘Jesus’ on the side, it was one of those Glofish types and you could buy them. I even remember the simpsons making a joke about them, but I cant find them or anyone else (other than my sister) who remembers the jesus fish.

I found ones with ‘allah’ in the side but no jesus fish.

Does anyone here remember it?

Im not sure if this really fits here, since we dont have a mandela effect forum, maybe we need one!

I vividly remember a fish being genetically modified to have ‘Jesus’ on the side, it was one of those Glofish types and you could buy them. I even remember the simpsons making a joke about them, but I cant find them or anyone else (other than my sister) who remembers the jesus fish.

I found ones with ‘allah’ in the side but no jesus fish.

Does anyone here remember it?
I suppose 'John Dory' is pretty close!

I only found out my Nan's real name was Mary and not Pat (Patricia) at her funeral. That and she was a Glaswegian and not from Edinburgh like she'd told me. She was deaf in one ear from the time she was a young woman working in a 'munitions' factory during WW2. That's what I was told anyway. I'm probably going to learn that she was MI6 instead at this rate.

I went for 40 years thinking I had a Great Aunty Anna. When I did the family tree it turns out I had a Great Aunty Hannah! The older generations of my family had such strong Lancashire accents there's no way I could have known by hearing her name alone.

My maternal grandmother was never known by her first name, always by her middle name, or a shortened version of it.

A small amount of research into my family tree suggests that this wasn't uncommon. Many of the relatives of my grandparents' generation went by something other than their real first name.
Myself and my one brother and one sister go by our middle names. My mom said that she wanted to be different. But government officialness dissuaded her of continuing it to my youngest brother and sister, because, heaven forbid you go against the status quo.:rolleyes:

My brother insists that he has to sign all legal paperwork with his "proper" name. I use my name as I am called. Sometimes, I might include my first initial.

I sign all paperwork with my name as I am called. It is not illegal, as my brother thinks, since I am not using it fraudulently. Even my lawyer goes by his middle name and he signs with his first initial and middle name.

But government papers still only allow an initial for middle name. So, as @Trevp666 has mentioned, I figure out quickly if someone calling me actually knows me or not. Great way to screen people.

Edited to add: my husband's best friend goes by the name "Sam" even though his given name is Ronald, and one of my uncles was called "Bud", though his name was Ernest.

Long list of Mandela effect items in today's Quora.
The vast majority I think we are all familiar with - Looney Tunes/Toons, Monopoly's Mr Moneybags' monocle, Capt Kirk's "Beam me up Scotty" etc.
There were a few regarding trademarks though, that I hadn't come across before:

Converse trainers (we used to call them Baseball Boots when I were a lad) have a raised circular patch bearing the logo on the outside of the shoe, roughly covering the talus or ankle bone, right?

converse.png

Nope! The Converse logo has always been on the inside of the ankle.

converse2.png

The famous Fruit of the Loom T-shirt logo features a cornucopia like this:

fruit.png

Except the Fruit of the Loom logo has never featured a cornucopia and simply looks like this:

fruit2.png

And finally, we all know that the Laughing Cow/La Vache Qui Rit brand of cheese has a cow with a ring through its nose don't we?

But it never happened. The cow's nose has always been devoid of rings.

vache.png

The vast majority I think we are all familiar with - Looney Tunes/Toons, Monopoly's Mr Moneybags' monocle, Capt Kirk's "Beam me up Scotty" etc.

Converse trainers (we used to call them Baseball Boots when I were a lad) have a raised circular patch bearing the logo on the outside of the shoe, roughly covering the talus or ankle bone, right?

View attachment 67245

View attachment 67246

View attachment 67247

Except the Fruit of the Loom logo has never featured a cornucopia and simply looks like this:

View attachment 67248

And finally, we all know that the Laughing Cow/La Vache Qui Rit brand of cheese has a cow with a ring through its nose don't we?

View attachment 67249
If the cow had a ring through its nose, that would make it a bull. And we don't get cheese from bulls...

Indeed!
I suspect the Laughing Cow may have become conflated with the Covonia Bull - and he ain't laughing.

View attachment 67255
Wasn't there an advert for a milk product where one of the animals had a ring through its nose? I'm thinking of two talking cows... or am I suffering from my own Mandela effect here?

The laughing cow has earrings....

I have never had any false memory of a cornucopia on the fruit of the loom logo....What is a cornucopia anyway? Looks like a basket....

The laughing cow has earrings....

I have never had any false memory of a cornucopia on the fruit of the loom logo....What is a cornucopia anyway? Looks like a basket....
A cornucopia is a 'horn of plenty' made by weaving straw or reeds (a kind of basket).

View attachment 67245

View attachment 67246

View attachment 67247

View attachment 67248

View attachment 67249

I share your memories of Converse and Fruit of the Loom

Sometimes things in Lidl and Aldi look like they’ve come from a parallel universe, something you know but slightly off. I’m not sure how they get away with it a lot of the time.
Yes. I've seen pickle there called Bramwells and it has a yellow band and green background just like Branston's.

It also annoys me how Heinz (who branched into the mayonnaise arena a few years ago) have a similar design to Hellmann's.
Not quite as similar as the aforementioned pickles, but still.

I refuse to buy theirs on principle that they have cornered the market in ketchup and it's just greed on their part.
There's only one mayo.

Yes. I've seen pickle there called Bramwells and it has a yellow band and green background just like Branston's.

It also annoys me how Heinz (who branched into the mayonnaise arena a few years ago) have a similar design to Hellmann's.
Not quite as similar as the aforementioned pickles, but still.

I refuse to buy theirs on principle that they have cornered the market in ketchup and it's just greed on their part.
There's only one mayo.
Heinz mayo is the best though...

Sometimes things in Lidl and Aldi look like they’ve come from a parallel universe, something you know but slightly off. I’m not sure how they get away with it a lot of the time.
They have to be just far enough way, so the chocolate is a similar colour to Cadbury's own, which is presumably registered, but not too similar. Otherwise they fall foul of the 'passing off' law

They don't always get away with it, with Aldi having to make changes to its Cuthbert the Caterpillar cake after Marks and Spencer claimed it was too similar to its Colin the Caterpillar – which it clearly was!

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-call-truce-in-colin-the-caterpillar-cake-war

They have to be just far enough way, so the chocolate is a similar colour to Cadbury's own, which is presumably registered, but not too similar. Otherwise they fall foul of the 'passing off' law

They don't always get away with it, with Aldi having to make changes to its Cuthbert the Caterpillar cake after Marks and Spencer claimed it was too similar to its Colin the Caterpillar – which it clearly was!

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-call-truce-in-colin-the-caterpillar-cake-war
I’m sure copies have to have something like 11 differences, which I’m not sure they do.

The Cuthbert thing confuses me as every supermarket has a caterpillar cake.

Back