• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

Yes, that's possible. I've found that a lot of weird things happen in areas with high earth energy (the field that dowsers are detecting), and it has long been recognised that ancient stone circles and standing stones seem to have been placed in such locations to exploit the energy in various ways. Moreover many time slips and other odd phenomena are still generated by these structures today.
This classic 1979 British UFO CE3 case from Normanton which was investigated by Philip Mantle and witnessed by a mother and her six children happened next to a pylon:

https://www.inquisitr.com/3653679/a...r-suits-emerged-and-walked-around-on-a-field/

Would love to track those kids down today

Last edited:
This classic 1979 British UFO CE3 case from Normanton which was investigated by Philip Mantle and witnessed by a mother and her six children happened next to a pylon:

https://www.inquisitr.com/3653679/a...r-suits-emerged-and-walked-around-on-a-field/

Would love to track those kids down today
It may be that pylons and other structures can play a part in creating a time slip or other event, not because they generate electric fields but because the shape of the pylon plays a part. There is an interesting book by Gay Baldwin, who produced the Ghosts of the Isle of Wight series, called Ghosts of Knighton Gorges, about the amazing activity near an old stately home that had been pulled down 200 years ago. The interesting thing is that most of the more puzzling incidents happen not on the site of the ruin but at the two gateposts that remain in position on the road heading to the house. Not just "ghosts" but orbs, car breakdowns, equipment malfunctions etc. I suggested to Gay that maybe the two posts are acting like the standing stones in a prehistoric site and concentrating the earth energies, and she agreed that was a real possibility.

It may be that pylons and other structures can play a part in creating a time slip or other event, not because they generate electric fields but because the shape of the pylon plays a part. There is an interesting book by Gay Baldwin, who produced the Ghosts of the Isle of Wight series, called Ghosts of Knighton Gorges, about the amazing activity near an old stately home that had been pulled down 200 years ago. The interesting thing is that most of the more puzzling incidents happen not on the site of the ruin but at the two gateposts that remain in position on the road heading to the house. Not just "ghosts" but orbs, car breakdowns, equipment malfunctions etc. I suggested to Gay that maybe the two posts are acting like the standing stones in a prehistoric site and concentrating the earth energies, and she agreed that was a real possibility.
Added to my wishlist:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghosts-Knighton-Gorges-Gay-Baldwin/dp/0956584500

I enjoy a good local paranormal investigation.

Back to the thread, it feels as if most if not all of the evidence for the two couples being involved in an extended time-slip in a hotel near Montélimar in 1979 has been provided with a rational solution, although some might disagree. It would be beneficial at this stage to hear the opinion of the children all these years later, especially if the views of one or both of the couples drifted away from a time-slip over the years or if they remained adamant it occurred. However, we must respect their right to privacy and this is perhaps as far as we can take this case or can anyone see a new angle or unanswered question...?

When I have time I will post a full timeline of their experience, based on the most reliable testimony (Jenny Randles) and with our collective suggestions for each step along the way. I no longer feel hat any trickery was involved, but rather a bit of a culture shock, some camera problems and the suggestion of a friend that they might have had a time-slip. As Forteans, we shouldn't shy away from offering solutions where that is possible, it doesn't diminish anyone's testimony or the time-slip phenomenon itself

Last edited:
Added to my wishlist:

Back to the thread, it feels as if most if not all of the evidence for the two couples being involved in an extended time-slip in a hotel near Montélimar in 1979 has been provided with a rational solution, although some might disagree. It would be beneficial at this stage to hear the opinion of the children all these years later, especially if the views of one or both of the couples drifted away from a time-slip over the years or if they remained adamant it occurred. However, we must respect their right to privacy and this is perhaps as far as we can take this case or can anyone see a new angle or unanswered question...?

When I have time I will post a full timeline of their experience, based on the most reliable testimony (Jenny Randles) and with our collective suggestions for each step along the way. I no longer feel hat any trickery was involved, but rather a bit of a culture shock, some camera problems and the suggestion of a friend that they might have had a time-slip. As Forteans, we shouldn't shy away from offering solutions where that is possible, it doesn't diminish anyone's testimony or the time-slip phenomenon itself

As far as testimony goes, I think it's much easier and more intellectually 'comfortable' to plot a rational explanation when you're not in the thick of the experience, or when it didn't happen to you. Unfamiliarity is in itself very unsettling - the case with the vintage car I mentioned earlier seems very easily explicable when reading it, but in context it no doubt felt very strange.

Some of these 'time slip' cases hinge on one of the most unsettling experiences, not being able to find something you'd previously seen. Again, there is a sound explanation for this (you were a bit confused over your location, it often happens) but in context it probably exaggerates any strange details in memory. If they'd turned down the right road and found the hotel on the way home they'd no doubt have remembered everything quite differently.

Something to add - and I'll ask my Mother when I see her if she can recall the name of the town or village, but the place we stopped at wasn't directly on the N7 itself - it was getting late and my parents decided to take a turn of the "main" road toward a small town or village and see what could be found. So in some ways similar to the original tale - just without Motels and strange liveried bellhops.
In fact one of the reasons the bill and it's low price sticks with me, was the likelihood of the place being too small to have a bank that could\would deal in Scottish cheques if required..

As far as testimony goes, I think it's much easier and more intellectually 'comfortable' to plot a rational explanation when you're not in the thick of the experience, or when it didn't happen to you. Unfamiliarity is in itself very unsettling - the case with the vintage car I mentioned earlier seems very easily explicable when reading it, but in context it no doubt felt very strange.

Some of these 'time slip' cases hinge on one of the most unsettling experiences, not being able to find something you'd previously seen. Again, there is a sound explanation for this (you were a bit confused over your location, it often happens) but in context it probably exaggerates any strange details in memory. If they'd turned down the right road and found the hotel on the way home they'd no doubt have remembered everything quite differently.
Yes, and up until now - my experience, by contrast was just a pleasant holiday memory that has now taken on a Fortean bent thanks to this thread.

On the subject of the gendarmes' hats. I see that Randles' account says that the friend pointed them out in a book as wearing a specifically "pre-1905" uniform.

I have close to zero knowledge of this subject but this seems to match with the date given in the Wikipedia article (yes, I know) on the gendarmerie which talks about them getting a new hat in 1905. Problem is that as per Randles, the two blokes in the hotel were said to be wearing a "peaked" hat, whereas Wikipedia states the pre-1905 gendarmerie wore a bicorne (something you'd certainly remember if you saw it). A "peaked" cap to me sounds more like the post-1905 kepi.

So - I don't know. A "peaked" hat to me still suggests they could have been wearing a kepi, something current from 1905 until the end of the 20th century.

Last edited:
On the subject of the gendarmes' hats. I see that Randles' account says that the friend pointed them out in a book as wearing a specifically "pre-1905" uniform.

I have close to zero knowledge of this subject but this seems to match with the date given in the Wikipedia article (yes, I know) on the gendarmerie which talks about them getting a new hat in 1905. Problem is that as per Randles, the two blokes in the hotel were said to be wearing a "peaked" hat, whereas Wikipedia states the pre-1905 gendarmerie wore a bicorne (something you'd certainly remember if you saw it). A "peaked" cap to me sounds more like the post-1905 kepi.

So - I don't know. A "peaked" hat to me still suggests they could have been wearing a kepi, something current from 1905 until the end of the 20th century.
There are also no discrepancies in their accounts eg Pauline thought X but Geoff seemed to remember Y. Some discrepancy ought to be expected and I begin to suspect one person or one of the couples was leading the narrative once they got back. For example, possibly only two of them closed and opened the shutters and it might be that one of them has some memory of there being folded back glass windows but felt obliged to go with the agreed narrative.

There are also no discrepancies in their accounts eg Pauline thought X but Geoff seemed to remember Y. Some discrepancy ought to be expected and I begin to suspect one person or one of the couples was leading the narrative once they got back. For example, possibly only two of them closed and opened the shutters and it might be that one of them has some memory of there being folded back glass windows but felt obliged to go with the agreed narrative.

I would propose that it might have been Gisby who led the narrative, as a) he was the person who reported two missing photographs; b) his wife was said to be visibly distressed by the experience of being unable to find the hotel and c) the Simpsons were less willing to talk about the case afterwards. I'd question whether Simpson actually took a photo at all, or just thought he did.

Incidentally - as another example of an apparent 'time slip' caused by confusion over location, I see that one is discussed near the start of this thread regarding a pub on the Isle of Wight. Someone specifically mentions that parallel, similar looking roads are responsible for it. I think that might have also been the case here, as well as in the dubious "transdimensional gas station" experience reported in IHTM (as well as with my own disappearing petrol station in South Wales).

Added to my wishlist:

Good summing up. Great pity the children didn't want to give their views about the matter. Certainly you have raised enough questions about the basic story to make it clear that it needs to be treated with caution. Oddly, I have never rated it that highly even though I never questioned the basic narrative, maybe because the News of the World was involved so early on.

That book is a bit cheaper in Book Depository but is out of stock at the minute.

I would propose that it might have been Gisby who led the narrative, as a) he was the person who reported two missing photographs; b) his wife was said to be visibly distressed by the experience of being unable to find the hotel and c) the Simpsons were less willing to talk about the case afterwards. I'd question whether Simpson actually took a photo at all, or just thought he did.

Incidentally - as another example of an apparent 'time slip' caused by confusion over location, I see that one is discussed near the start of this thread regarding a pub on the Isle of Wight. Someone specifically mentions that parallel, similar looking roads are responsible for it. I think that might have also been the case here, as well as in the dubious "transdimensional gas station" experience reported in IHTM (as well as with my own disappearing petrol station in South Wales).
I last went back to France c2007 for the wedding of my ex SIL in a rural village close to where she lived. We landed in Nice airport and drove for about an hour (I can't remember the name of the village!) but it was like driving back several centuries. I've lived in France, but quite close to Paris in the late 70's, when everything was very modern, so even knowing France and having lived there was no proof against this weird feeling of 'dislocation', being in a town with cobbled streets, very old buildings, an Abbey just stuck there in the middle of the village, and very old fashioned methods of doing things. If it hadn't been for the modern day clothes and prices, I could have believed I'd been the subject of a timeslip, so I can easily believe how people unfamiliar with rural France may have felt something 'odd' happened to them.

I last went back to France c2007 for the wedding of my ex SIL in a rural village close to where she lived. We landed in Nice airport and drove for about an hour (I can't remember the name of the village!) but it was like driving back several centuries. I've lived in France, but quite close to Paris in the late 70's, when everything was very modern, so even knowing France and having lived there was no proof against this weird feeling of 'dislocation', being in a town with cobbled streets, very old buildings, an Abbey just stuck there in the middle of the village, and very old fashioned methods of doing things. If it hadn't been for the modern day clothes and prices, I could have believed I'd been the subject of a timeslip, so I can easily believe how people unfamiliar with rural France may have felt something 'odd' happened to them.

Given the number of references to Liverpool in this thread, I'd add that until perhaps 10-15 years ago, being in parts of Liverpool city centre and around the Pier Head had a real feeling of the 1930s to them. I guess this was partly due to the fact the city went into a serious economic decline at that point from which it never really recovered.

I feel that the focus on Liverpool, and Bold Street in particular, as a 'time slip' location is mainly down to the fact that one local researcher has heavily promoted the idea. But the fact that of all English cities, it has a distinct (and until very recently, distinctly old fashioned) atmosphere might also contribute. I've only ever really had the same feeling in Ireland, in parts of Dublin, which I guess has strong links with Liverpool in a number of ways.

Well,

I have a confession to make and that is I would not know what most of the paranormal we talk about if it was not for America’s History Channel constant playing of paranormal programs.

Also I was lucky that I came across Graham Birdsall’s UFO Magazine at America’s news stands.

I was sad he died supposedly with a fatal brain blood clot in 2003.

Bold Street was a History Channel program.

Given the number of references to Liverpool in this thread, I'd add that until perhaps 10-15 years ago, being in parts of Liverpool city centre and around the Pier Head had a real feeling of the 1930s to them. I guess this was partly due to the fact the city went into a serious economic decline at that point from which it never really recovered.

I feel that the focus on Liverpool, and Bold Street in particular, as a 'time slip' location is mainly down to the fact that one local researcher has heavily promoted the idea. But the fact that of all English cities, it has a distinct (and until very recently, distinctly old fashioned) atmosphere might also contribute. I've only ever really had the same feeling in Ireland, in parts of Dublin, which I guess has strong links with Liverpool in a number of ways.
In fact Liverpool has indeed generated more time slip cases than any other location. The local researcher you mention is probably Tom Slemen, who is something of a Jekyll and Hyde character, having published over 30 books on haunted Liverpool, which include a number of clearly fictional stories. But there is also a local paranormal group that have claimed to have received 100 cases (publishing only 5 or so), plus many independent stories of time and dimensional slips. Liverpool badly needs a genuine time slip research organisation to collate all these data and assess them, because checking on some of the major cases, and publishing detailed reports should be done and might reveal additional evidence that the current researchers have made no serious effort to search for.

Good summing up. Great pity the children didn't want to give their views about the matter. Certainly you have raised enough questions about the basic story to make it clear that it needs to be treated with caution. Oddly, I have never rated it that highly even though I never questioned the basic narrative, maybe because the News of the World was involved so early on.

That book is a bit cheaper in Book Depository but is out of stock at the minute.
I hadn’t realised the NOTW ran the Gisby/Simpson story. Guess they must have picked it up from the local rag. Of course, not everything they printed was untrue or exaggerated but suddenly money comes into the equation. I would love to know if there was ever a book deal in the pipeline that was never followed through…?

I've not been hugely impressed by most of the Liverpool time slip stories I've read - lots of anonymous accounts of people seeing women in 'big hats'. It might have helped if the witness in the original (Slemen penned?) story ("Frank" the "off duty policeman") had gone on record in the way the French hotel people did, as we'd have more chance of assessing the claims!

Having a few elderly Liverpudlian relatives (most now sadly gone) I would add that the nostalgia / heritage industry seems particularly well entrenched in Liverpool and has been for many years - Liverpudlians are very well informed about the heritage of their city, what shop or pub once occupied where, etc. I wonder if this (along with the former uniquely unmodernised feel of parts of the Pier Head area, L8 etc) has some bearing on the association of Liverpool and 'time slips' - which to me seem a bit like ghost stories recast for a more secular age.

I've not been hugely impressed by most of the Liverpool time slip stories I've read - lots of anonymous accounts of people seeing women in 'big hats'. It might have helped if the witness in the original (Slemen penned?) story ("Frank" the "off duty policeman") had gone on record in the way the French hotel people did, as we'd have more chance of assessing the claims!

Having a few elderly Liverpudlian relatives (most now sadly gone) I would add that the nostalgia / heritage industry seems particularly well entrenched in Liverpool and has been for many years - Liverpudlians are very well informed about the heritage of their city, what shop or pub once occupied where, etc. I wonder if this (along with the former uniquely unmodernised feel of parts of the Pier Head area, L8 etc) has some bearing on the association of Liverpool and 'time slips' - which to me seem a bit like ghost stories recast for a more secular age.
My understanding was that there were two or three decent cases in Liverpool and then it became a bit of a cottage industry for a certain writer/researcher

Naming no names, but some of these stories are lemons.
Indeed. I get excited when someone. local to an area gets out there investigating paranormal goings-on and interviews witnesses and makes themselves known as the person to talk to as they will uncover a host of new high strangeness reports (see Paul Sinclair in Yorkshire and Nick Redfern during his Cannock Chase years). However, safe to say the plethora of claimed Liverpool time slips with do not fall into this category….

My understanding was that there were two or three decent cases in Liverpool and then it became a bit of a cottage industry for a certain writer/researcher
My rough estimate would be around 30 decent cases in Liverpool from all sources, but even that is way ahead of any other location in the country, or the world, for that matter. All the more reason for somebody to do some serious research up there.

My rough estimate would be around 30 decent cases in Liverpool from all sources, but even that is way ahead of any other location in the country, or the world, for that matter. All the more reason for somebody to do some serious research up there.
That is interesting, I need to do some reading up on these

Back to that French hotel.

By way of confirming how cheap hotel accommodation in France used to be, I note that in 1990 you could get a double (probably without bathroom, but that's what you got at the cheap end) in Paris at the hotel Henry IV on Place Dauphine for 120F (source: Time Out guide of that year). In 1990 the franc was in the range 9.5 - 10F against the pound sterling, so yes: about 12 quid, and that was in Paris.

I recall paying about 100F for doubles in various French provincial cities, eg Dijon (nice place) in 1996 and 1997.

Back to that French hotel.

By way of confirming how cheap hotel accommodation in France used to be, I note that in 1990 you could get a double (probably without bathroom, but that's what you got at the cheap end) in Paris at the hotel Henry IV on Place Dauphine for 120F (source: Time Out guide of that year). In 1990 the franc was in the range 9.5 - 10F against the pound sterling, so yes: about 12 quid, and that was in Paris.

I recall paying about 100F for doubles in various French provincial cities, eg Dijon (nice place) in 1996 and 1997.
Great find.

Len was asked to pay "19 francs" (Jenny Randles) which was equivalent to about £2.00 in 1979:

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/b...rical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-FRF-1979

This is an absurdly small amount for Dinner, Bed and Breakfast plus alcohol even in rural 1979 France. It is interesting that Len Gisby didn't keep the piece of paper with the handwritten bill on it, I know I would have and thus we are reliant on his testimony and whatever brief glimpse of the bill the other three might have had.

To my mind there are four possible answers:

1. It is evidence for a 70-odd year slip back in time. I believe people do experience short-lived time-slips
  2. I am still open to the idea that when Len went into the hotel on his own post-arrival, he paid some sort of advance payment or deposit for the accommodation which he had forgotten about the following morning after the jugs of beer and a good sleep. On departure he was then presented with bill for food or drink only. This is more likely if it were a small sum paid in cash. He may have later remembered doing this but decided to keep quiet due to pressure to stick to the narrative.
  3. Len might simply have had a finger over the '0' of 190 francs, making it look like 19 francs for a joke.
  4. As already suggested in this thread, Len knew exactly where he was headed from the outset as it was his little joke to take them to the old-fashioned hotel he had found on a previous trip. He had paid in advance with a cheque in the post (1979) and was presented with a bill for the drinks only.

Just to add, in relation to point 4, during the reconstruction the owner of the guest house (just up the road from the hotel) clearly states that he "knows [Len's] face". Len just shrugs this off and they appear to be in the wrong building, however, it might be evidence for a previous trip to the area.

Great find.

Len was asked to pay "19 francs" (Jenny Randles) which was equivalent to about £2.00 in 1979:

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/b...rical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-FRF-1979

This is an absurdly small amount for Dinner, Bed and Breakfast plus alcohol even in rural 1979 France. It is interesting that Len Gisby didn't keep the piece of paper with the handwritten bill on it, I know I would have and thus we are reliant on his testimony and whatever brief glimpse of the bill the other three might have had.

To my mind there are four possible answers:

1. It is evidence for a 70-odd year slip back in time. I believe people do experience short-lived time-slips
  2. I am still open to the idea that when Len went into the hotel on his own post-arrival, he paid some sort of advance payment or deposit for the accommodation which he had forgotten about the following morning after the jugs of beer and a good sleep. On departure he was then presented with bill for food or drink only. This is more likely if it were a small sum paid in cash. He may have later remembered doing this but decided to keep quiet due to pressure to stick to the narrative.
  3. Len might simply have had a finger over the '0' of 190 francs, making it look like 19 francs for a joke.
  4. As already suggested in this thread, Len knew exactly where he was headed from the outset as it was his little joke to take them to the old-fashioned hotel he had found on a previous trip. He had paid in advance with a cheque in the post (1979) and was presented with a bill for the drinks only.

I'm not sure about whether they dealt with the same person the night before as in the morning. If there had been a night clerk maybe he left payment for the following morning, but the proprietor assumed payment in advance when writing up the final bill? I had a very similar situation once happen in strangely enough, a French hotel.

Another thought (sorry!)

It may have been Len and Cynthia's turn to pay for accommodation (we don't know who was paying for the accommodation in Spain, for example). The cheap, basic hotel was simply a cunning ruse by Len and Cynthia to save a not insignificant sum of money for the overnight stay and was booked in advance. The whole 'theatre' with the interior and the bill etc. were simply distractions in an effort to stop Geoff and Pauline asking awkward questions about why they weren't in a nice, modern hotel.

This scenario would make more sense if their accommodation in Spain was at a discount or free due to knowing the British owner of their apartment. We have never been told where they stayed.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about whether they dealt with the same person the night before as in the morning. If there had been a night clerk maybe he left payment for the following morning, but the proprietor assumed payment in advance when writing up the final bill? I had a very similar situation once happen in strangely enough, a French hotel.
True, was a common enough mistake when I worked in hotels.

In Cork, a confused elderly pub owner tried to charge me twice for my dinner, but it doesn't mean he saw me materialise twice in his pub and eat two dinners...! Len showing the bill to the Gendarmes means nothing either, could they even see what was written? It is interesting in the reconstruction that Cynthia Gisby admits to essentially telling the others to get out of there quickly before the hotel owner/worker realises his mistake. Why? because at that stage they did not even consider for one moment that had gone back in time.

True, was a common enough mistake when I worked in hotels.

In Cork, a confused elderly pub owner tried to charge me twice for my dinner, but it doesn't mean he saw me materialise twice in his pub and eat two dinners...! Len showing the bill to the Gendarmes means nothing either, could they even see what was written? It is interesting in the reconstruction that Cynthia Gisby admits to essentially telling the others to get out of there quickly before the hotel owner/worker realises his mistake. Why? because at that stage they did not even consider for one moment that had gone back in time.

Showing his bill to the gendarmes doesn't seem to prove anything ("bouf, what are the tourists on about now?") and you make a very important point about their initial assumption that they had benefited from an error in the bill. By their own admission it's only the inability to find the hotel afterwards, and then the possible missing photographs, that make it seem 'strange'.

I have experienced a couple of time slips one being in Liverpool City centre, my partner who was with me also saw it, we could see it but we were not in it, if that makes sense.

Back