• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
And here's the BBC's take on the battle:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07dps1x/battle-of-jutland-the-navys-bloodiest-day

Battle of Jutland: The Navy's Bloodiest Day
Dan Snow, Shini Somara and Nick Hewitt investigate the events and the legacy of the largest naval battle of the First World War, the Battle of Jutland. Its 100th anniversary is commemorated in 2016. Both Britain and Germany claimed victory - but both sides suffered huge losses and the significance of the battle to the outcome of the war has been questioned ever since.

Fresh evidence sheds new light not only on why so many died, but also on the importance of Jutland to the eventual triumph of the Allies.

Tosh, utter tosh. They presented a series of 'investigations" the answers to which all of which could have been found by reading the wiki page on Jutland and checking the references. What utter rubbish. It was like "Jutland GCSE" (Grade C). Embarrassingly poor.

Watched this on BBC Four tonight:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07chyly/hidden-killers-hidden-killers-of-the-postwar-home

A valuable reminder that health and safety doesn't necessarily mean jobsworths running scared from the legal profession, it does a lot of good. Plus the whole hour is a good source of WTF?! moments. Those chemistry sets were designed to make explosions!
I finished watching this today. Amazing I've survived so long!

Something else that might appeal to fans of social history is this:

Dan Cruickshank: At Home with the British - 2. The Terrace

Dan Cruickshank explores our love affair with the terrace - the home that more Britons live in than any other. We love it because it has proved brilliantly adaptable, encompassing the Victorian parlour and modern open-plan living with equal ease.

Dan is in Toxteth, Liverpool 8. Famous for the riots that ripped it apart in the 1980s, Toxteth has a far richer and more varied history than that one tragic episode. Liverpool was the ultimate Victorian boom town, turned by trade and industry from provincial powerhouse into the second city of empire. 100,000 terraced houses were built to accommodate its vast workforce, with huge numbers in Toxteth. From a high of Victorian industry and immigration to a low of postwar decline, Toxteth's terraces have seen it all - even the 2015 Turner Prize, awarded for their remarkable 21st-century regeneration.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07ckwvx/dan-cruickshank-at-home-with-the-british-2-the-terrace

It's about more than houses though. I knew a lot of Irish flocked to Liverpool, but many of its streets were actually built by incomers from north Wales. Welsh slate became a favourite roofing material. Liverpool's docks contributed to its growth, and that is covered too.

If anyone's a fan of the Leslie Nielsen series Police Squad, you might enjoy Angie Tribeca currently running on Channel 4. Most of the episodes are up on All 4 - they're all self contained so it doesn't matter if you miss some.

It features a dog called Detective David Hoffman:

Two more interesting plays up on BBC Radio 4 and 4 Extra's iPlayer.

Mike Walker - The Dark House (BBC Radio 4, 2003) This was an interactive radio drama.
Three people are trapped in a haunted building in this ground-breaking interactive drama.
Listeners voted to hear whose perspectives you hear at every moment in this chilling ghost story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0076h1v

And, JCW Brook - The Bognor Regis Vampire (12/06/16).
4 Extra Debut. A couple receive an unusually diabolical visitor, but this guest may get more than he bargained for. Stars Margot Boyd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07g7jp5

I'm a bit late with this, as it's already started. But it can probably be accessed later via 4oD.

Born on the Same Day
Series 1-Episode 1
Today 9pm - 10pm Channel 4

Documentary in which each episode explores the lives of three people who were all born on the same day - one famous individual and two less well-known people with extraordinary stories to tell. The series begins by telling the life-story of explorer Ranulph Fiennes, first-generation immigrant Ewart Rennalls, and foster mother to 97 placements, Frances Chorlton. All three were born on March 7, 1944, but led very different lives.

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/d628tc/born-on-the-same-day--series-1-episode-1

I can through recommend The Living and the Dead currently on the BBC iplayer but will be coming to the tv in a few weeks. It came out today and we've already watched two episodes.

The Living and the Dead, Episode 1: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03wv33v via @bbciplayer

Last edited:
Absolutely fascinating -

The Man Who Thought He Was Dead

Dr Broks' Casebook: Episode 1 of 5

Neuropsychologist Dr Paul Broks embarks on a detective hunt in search of the self.

We all have a strong sense of the self, that little person, or "homunculus" that seems to live somewhere behind our eyes, and makes each of us feel that I am ME. In earlier times, people would have been happier with the word "soul". But they puzzled about how it survived the death of the body, and how we could know it was the same as the one we had when alive.

Nowadays, under the onslaught of science, the self/soul seems more and more like a superstitious remnant. Neuroscientists tell us that there is nothing but the brain, and that even conscious decisions, made freely by the self, are in fact made appreciably earlier, even before the self is aware of them. The more you think about the self, the harder it becomes to pin down: are we nothing but our memories, and if so, what about people who lose their memory, or have false memories? Would we be happy to have our memories downloaded and uploaded into a different brain/body, and if not why not? How can we even know that we are the same person each morning when we wake up, given that our self has, in effect, been shut down for hours? Despite all this, we still believe in the self, but is there really anyone at home?

Over the course of the week, Paul Broks a former clinical neuropsychologist, and producer Jolyon Jenkins, go on a quest for the self, using some of Dr Broks' former patients, interviews with experts and philosophical thought experiments. In the first programme, they consider a patient with Cotard's syndrome, in which the sufferer thinks he or she is dead. It might seem obviously false, but what makes us think we're alive?

The Secret Life of Bob Monkhouse http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x9b7w

There was a lot more to Bob than just the slick game show host as this programme shows. He had a deep interest, nay obsession with television and he left behind a massive collection of recordings of rare TV shows.

A while back, BBC radio had one of those Brenda and Effie mysteries. It was highly enjoyable, hopefully they'll make more of them.

If anyone hears about another one coming, please let me know. The BBC radio website is pretty confusing to me, so I probably miss a lot of things

It can't live up to the London Underground Ghosts documentary.

Chaucer's Astrolabe - The Medieval GPS

Philip Ball tells the story of Chaucer's Astrolabe and why the famed poet came to write the world's first scientific instruction manual. In the Middle Ages, no self respecting astronomer would be without an Astrolabe, a pocket sized device for working out the movements of the planets and stars. So how did a poet come to write the first user booklet? This story shows Chaucer in a new light: as a pre-eminent astronomer, and offers a new key to unlocking his most famous literary works.

Interesting ½ hour radio prog. I didn't know Chaucer was something of an astronomer.
fusy.gif

From http://www.astrolabes.org/

The history of the astrolabe begins more than two thousand years ago. The principles of the astrolabe projection were known before 150 B.C., and true astrolabes were made before A.D. 400. The astrolabe was highly developed in the Islamic world by 800 and was introduced to Europe from Islamic Spain (al-Andalus) in the early 12th century. It was the most popular astronomical instrument until about 1650, when it was replaced by more specialized and accurate instruments. Astrolabes are still appreciated for their unique capabilities and their value for astronomy education.

I've just watched the first episode of Joanna Lumley's "Japan" on the UK ITV tv channel.

It was absolutely excellent, even allowing for the fact that I've always loved JL. Much more nuanced than Woss's 'Japanorama', and very resonant with the exacting Alan Wicker style.

She's always so genuine, funny, and self-deprecating.

Watch it....you will enjoy it.

I've just watched the first episode of Joanna Lumley's "Japan" on the UK ITV tv channel.

It was absolutely excellent, even allowing for the fact that I've always loved JL. Much more nuanced than Woss's 'Japanorama', and very resonant with the exacting Alan Wicker style.

Watch it....you will enjoy it.
I've just watched it: http://www.itv.com/hub/joanna-lumleys-japan/2a4327a0001

"She's always so genuine, funny, and self-deprecating." And getting more beautiful, although she's only about six months younger than me! :(

I'm glad there is more to come - the more ITV stuff I can watch the more bored the BBC detector vans will get with scanning my place and will hopefully give up! :twisted:

Glad you liked it. She's bloody brilliant, in my opinion. Seriously good at putting people at their ease. And I think she genuinely is channelling a bit of the old Wicker magic. I will definitely watch every episode, as it'll help keep my ambitions to visit Japan in check (mind you, a total lack of cash achieves the same result)

Back