• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
If only we had some previous historical event in which the US had debris which they were saying was a weather balloon, by which we could measure the present day news of a 'UFO' coming down......if only.....
View attachment 63382
Yeah, weather balloons have been messing with our heads since 1947 at least. You woulda thunk we'd have got them figured by now. We're just so dumb, I guess.

Last edited:
We always knew. Stu's got a Tardis.
images-933.jpeg

And now, back to regular programming....

I haven't seen this interview; do you have a link?
Both Ryan Graves and David Fravor have repeated this story at second hand, but I haven't found a first-person account yet.

I also have doubts that the pilot of a plane flying at hundreds of miles an hour would be able to gauge the local windspeed and the exact position of a balloon-like object thousands of feet above the sea. Too many variables.
Then maybe I have conflated Graves' story. I had it in my mind that it was Graves who saw the beachball and Fravor who saw the white cross shaped object under the water. But I think you are correct, Graves must have been recounting what others had seen.

But I do remember being very impressed by Graves.

Party balloons, FFS...

Time for another hiatus. See y'all sometime. Or not.

Now appearing over Romania

The Romanian Air Force's surveillance system detected an aerial object that looked like a weather balloon flying in the country's airspace, the defence ministry said on Tuesday.
Two MiG 21 LanceR jets were scrambled to the area in southeast Romania 10 minutes after the sighting but could not confirm the object's presence, the ministry said, adding the balloon was flying at an altitude of 11,000 metres.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/a...weather-balloon-in-its-airspace-ministry-says

White House spokesman claims we have changed our filters and now being interested in objects that we in the past did not care about.

White House claims last three objects completely different from original Chinese balloon and needs to be separated out.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his opinion is that there is a connected pattern and is concerning.
Everything that is shot down (by US) and subsequently lands in Canada, becomes the fishing trip for Canada. We get to look for the needle in a haystack.

All reports following the original Chinese balloon incident state that the UAPs are smaller than it, so probably nothing to see here.:jugg:

The White House today saying the last three UFOs were probably harmless.

I think there is a campaign to get the public to forget that there maybe could have been something strange going on.

US officials admit objects shot down from sky may not have been for spying

The White House has said there is no indication that the flying objects downed by the US military this week were used in the same manner as the Chinese spy balloon found earlier this month.

The three objects, including one shot down on Sunday over Lake Huron, were unmanned and travelling at such a low altitude as to pose a risk to civilian commercial air traffic, said White House national security spokesman John Kirby.

Though President Joe Biden's administration does not yet have evidence that they were equipped for spying purposes, officials have not ruled that out either, Mr Kirby added.

The US believe that due to the remote locations that the balloons were found in, it is unlikely that they are part of a Chinese spy balloon program.

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-02-14...ot-down-from-sky-may-not-have-been-for-spying

maximus otter

Most likely because the missile would have used some kind of sensing equipment to direct it to the target, such as infra-red or laser-guidance.
A slow moving balloon would have provided very little by way of a 'heat signature' to lock onto, and IIRC it was travelling at a much higher altitude than planes do, so would have been difficult to point a laser at.

Most likely because the missile would have used some kind of sensing equipment to direct it to the target, such as infra-red or laser-guidance.
A slow moving balloon would have provided very little by way of a 'heat signature' to lock onto, and IIRC it was travelling at a much higher altitude than planes do, so would have been difficult to point a laser at.
Don't shoot me down - I am very much a layman in these matters - but it strikes me (and quite a few of the people I've spoken to in the last few days, including a friend who has a friend who actually saw the first balloon coming down apparently) that using missiles to bring down something that you know or think are balloons does seem a bit excessive. Is it really the best thing to use? Especially if you can't be that confident of hitting your target, as seems to have happened with one of the attempts. We can only assume these people know what they are doing.

Don't shoot me down - I am very much a layman in these matters - but it strikes me (and quite a few of the people I've spoken to in the last few days, including a friend who has a friend who actually saw the first balloon coming down apparently) that using missiles to bring down something that you know or think are balloons does seem a bit excessive. Is it really the best thing to use? Especially if you can't be that confident of hitting your target, as seems to have happened with one of the attempts. We can only assume these people know what they are doing.
I really don't know. I'm thinking that the first one was mahooossive for a balloon (wasn't it a couple of hundred feet across) and underneath it was dangling an array of equipment - quite a large bit of 'something' to shoot at. I guess TPTB in the US were just making sure.

I would have thought that the best way of dealing with it would have been to send up an equally large balloon to carry an explosive charge up to it. But then what you have to remember is that I am an idiot.

Yes, it really is the best thing to use. At least in the case of a 200 foot balloon.

If you just shoot bullet holes in it, the gas will take a long, long time to escape. A balloon of that size contains roughly four million cubic inches of gas, and is inflated at about 0.007 psi. The balloon could continue to fly for hundreds of miles before crash-landing. That would be out over the ocean.

Yes, it really is the best thing to use. At least in the case of a 200 foot balloon.

If you just shoot bullet holes in it, the gas will take a long, long time to escape. A balloon of that size contains roughly four million cubic inches of gas, and is inflated at about 0.007 psi. The balloon could continue to fly for hundreds of miles before crash-landing. That would be out over the ocean.
Yes, that's fair enough. But what about something the size of a car? Or a seemingly unidentified octagonal thing? As far as I know these descriptions haven't been officially verified yet, but the point I'm making is the official line seems to be they didn't know what they were. They may or may not have been balloons. Do we know whether they used the same zig-zag method to bring down all four of the things? Would that point to them all been balloonatic in nature?

It is very strange no weather group or maybe another country has claim any knowledge to the last three UFOs.

Even China told NATO that they did not claim the last three UFOs.

Something is not correct.

In a large country the size of the US, there are probably numerous unregistered balloons and other flying clutter in the air at any one time. Most bona-fide research groups, amateurs and school projects would submit a flight plan or at least notify the FAA of their launch, but some don't, and some balloons exceed the expectations of the parties concerned and fly for hundreds of miles. And some are just black plastic bags inflated by solar power, or toy balloons lost by children and graduating students.

Last edited:
In a large country the size of the US, there are probably numerous unregistered balloons and other flying clutter in the air at any one time. Most bona-fide research groups, amateurs and school projects would submit a flight plan or at least notify the CAA of their launch, but some don't, and some balloons exceed the expectations of the parties concerned and fly for hundreds of miles. And some are just black plastic bags inflated by solar power, or toy balloons lost by children and graduating students.
Have these irresponsible balloonytics never heard the cautionary tale that is "99 Red Balloons" by Nena??

IMG-20230215-WA0000.jpg

Back