• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Keeping track of when things are released defeats me so haven't yet heard all the episodes.
Saving them for bedtime listening. ;)

Case 13: The Return of Elizabeth Dacre is shaping up nicely. :)
That episode all went a bit The Shining. :omg:
Turned out to be my personal favourite.

As mentioned elsewhere, I read up about it online, finding the locations on Maps and articles about both them and the identity of the purported ghost. Highly satisfactory. :cool:

Just seen a new podcast called Lusus advertised on Uncanny and initially thought it may be the start of a new series of Uncanny, on closer examination it appears to be a psychological drama series. I will likely give it a miss as those type of podcasts really don’t float my boat.

Just seen a new podcast called Lusus advertised on Uncanny and initially thought it may be the start of a new series of Uncanny, on closer examination it appears to be a psychological drama series. I will likely give it a miss as those type of podcasts really don’t float my boat.
I found this as well and am also disappointed as Danny had promised us a second series.

Give him time...

Just heard a preview for an Uncanny summer special episode that is due to be released on 6th June at 6pm (666!) Sounds like a ghost tale that takes place on a canadian summer holiday. Something to look forward to after the long Bank Holiday.

Danny also said that he's currently working on the second series. :)

P.S. I can confirm Lusus is VERY different to Uncanny.

Last edited:
Just caught up with the Canadian Horror Story, a very strong episode with plenty of back and forth between the sceptic and the believer. But what a great story! One nightmare I could believe, but it ends on a cliffhanger leading into Part 2 (released next Monday) where there's even more. The door opens and someone is standing there - but it's not his dad!

Just listened to part one of the Canadian 'Summer Special' (calling it that sounds like it should have dancing girls) and enjoyed it very much. The weird radio voice thing creeped me out, as things like that tend to do. As the sceptic said, that element of the story could probably be explained rationally fairly easily, but I liked how the whole family were weirded out by it. Looking forward to hearing Dad Brian's first-hand account when I listen to part two tomorrow. No spoilers! :)

Part 2 didn't disappoint, this is multiple witness time or it's multiple freak out time, maybe a bit of both. Weird things going on with sound in this story. I don't buy the theory the fisherman was benign. If there was a presence, it wanted them the Hell out of there.

And it's a three-parter! General tales in front of an audience next week. I kind of prefer the episodes dedicated to one story, I must admit. Anyway, this is like a bonus series.

Oh yeah, and Stephen King? Bit of a stretch, I think.
It did all seem quite "Stephen King-ish" - and I'm sure that sightly odd things seem much odder when you are in strange and creepy surroundings. Blimey, hark at me, trying to sound like the sceptic on 'Uncanny' now!

I was struck by the fact that we had a family who were all experiencing a range of (similar but different) strange things through the night, but no-one seemed to get up and find out whether the other family members were ok in the other rooms - well, apart from the dad looking in briefly on his sons' room. If I was that freaked out, I think I would round the family up. I think I would be happier if everyone was together, if only to confirm what we were experiencing. Safety in numbers and all that. Not that people always behave in the most rational way when they're freaking out!

Looking forward to the next episode, of course! Several cases in one episode. Should be different.

I just listened to the latest episode, 2nd part of Canadian Horror Story. One thing did occur to me... the orginal witness in last week's episode said that someone walked down the corridor, opened the door and just stood there without saying anything.

In this week's episode, his father said that, after hearing noises, he walked down the corridor, opened his children's door to check on them, saw that they were quiet in bed, so said nothing, then returned to his room.

So the mystery figure saying nothing could well have been his father checking in on him. I tried to play back last week's episode to check that part of the account, but unfortunately it won't play back for some reason.

Great to have Uncanny back. I travelled to Newfoundland in 2003 and it was a magnificent wilderness so I can only imagine what it must have been like in that isolated house. Some parallels with the earlier Scottish bothy experiences, although I do feel SimonBurchell has made a good point as regards the father checking on the children so I will listen to both again tonight (dowloaded so hopefully no playback issues).

I do believe thie witnesses but one thing that struck me is that the house was described as being used for “larger groups” and yet e two boys were crammed into a single bed - were there only two bedrooms?

Edit: Dad has just said there were six of them, so who were the other two…?

Last edited:
The owner as the ghost was intriguing - and a bit Stephen King - however there must have been physical keys exchanged at some point?

As for the faces on the towel, that was unexpected…! As they say, either terrible housekeeping or a poltergeist I never want to meet.

Personally, I feel the skeptic is somewhat clutching at straws in the face of such powerful testimonies. Yes, there may have been some slight exaggerations creep in over time but the fundamental phenomenon is laid bare

I do believe thie witnesses but one thing that struck me is that the house was described as being used for “larger groups” and yet e two boys were crammed into a single bed - were there only two bedrooms?

Edit: Dad has just said there were six of them, so who were the other two…?
I think there was a mention of a cousin.

I just listened to it today on my way back from town. There was an aunt and a cousin who had the other bedroom, mum and dad had the master suite and the boys shared the single room.

I haven't listened to part two yet but did find myself wondering - where was Callum? He apparently 'flew' out of the bed and landed heavily on the floor - yet didn't wake up? And when Scott is talking about waking in the morning he doesn't mention whether Callum was still on the floor or had mysteriously arrived back in the bed again?

I was almost entirely behind the sceptic on this one, re sleep paralysis. Everything Scott recorded sounded fairly typical. But I did find myself wondering whether the inside of the cottage (being wood) had been painted with some kind of wood preservative recently, which may have been giving off fumes?

Wow part 3 was interesting. I didn’t realise it was longer until I wondered why it hadn’t finished.

The baby being walked around the room was freaky. I don’t buy the maybe they’d fallen out and were just walking around. Crawling maybe if they had got out but walking?

I loved the time slip. I’m so interested in them. I’m not sure you’d conjure up the stink if you were having a vision. Also I don’t know about anyone else but I wouldn’t have expected apple sellers.

Jason Manford’s story was really good too. Ghosts do like hanging around theatres.

I didn’t realise the 2.22 play in the West End was Danny’s I’m off to see it in a couple of weeks.

I think there was a mention of a cousin.
And an Aunt (thanks catseye).

So six people in total. I am a little suspicious that only two of the six have come forward, they ere family after all. In the Uncanny case of the haunted house where the CDs rearranged themselves etc. the step-father came forward to say that in his opinion there was nothing untoward, which doesn't necessarily disprove what was going on but did give us the full picture.

The Newfoundland case is still really intriguing nonetheless.

Wow part 3 was interesting. I didn’t realise it was longer until I wondered why it hadn’t finished.

The baby being walked around the room was freaky. I don’t buy the maybe they’d fallen out and were just walking around. Crawling maybe if they had got out but walking?

I loved the time slip. I’m so interested in them. I’m not sure you’d conjure up the stink if you were having a vision. Also I don’t know about anyone else but I wouldn’t have expected apple sellers.

Jason Manford’s story was really good too. Ghosts do like hanging around theatres.

I didn’t realise the 2.22 play in the West End was Danny’s I’m off to see it in a couple of weeks.
Agreed a cracking episode and the whole team and audience were on great form.

I would love to hear that time-slip lady interviewed, just hearing the basic details has made my day :)

Theatre ghosts are the best, and Les Dawson famously saw the ghost of Sid James in a dressing room:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-did-les-dawson-see-re-sid-james-ghost.66469/

The fireman was sincere but perhaps too much room for doubt? But then perhaps you had to be there

By the way, did anyone else notice the 'sleight of hand' by the skeptic regarding the first case they discuss? The witness accounts state they saw the ghostly old lady in the corner of the room, however Ciaran starts talking about them seeing this ghost 'out of the corner of [their] eye", thus sowing some doubt where none seems to exist.

Last edited:
Just put my feet up and enjoyed the hour long Hay Festival "Uncanny" special. Very entertaining stuff. The hour flew by and left me wanting more. All the stories were intriguing, but as always I felt there were some big, frustrating omissions with regard to details. I realise there is only so much you can fit into an hour, but there was a fair bit of waffle and repetition at times. Once or twice I felt like shouting my questions at the radio (well, at my smartphone). For example:

In the case of the fireman who saw the 'ghost' of the late Mrs Wilson, his description of her was quite sketchy and (as they pointed out) could have described many elderly ladies. Was there anything specific about the woman he saw that could have pinpointed that it was definitely Mrs Wilson? Would it be possible to identify it was the same woman from a photo of her? And I don't think they mentioned how recently she had died. I assume (as she was so readily identified by the next-door neighbour) that it had probably not been too long since she had shuffled (in her slippers) off her mortal coil. No-one seemed to remark on how unusual it is for an apparent ghost to engage a living person in conversation either!! That particular aspect led me to wonder if there could be a more 'time slippy' explanation to the event, but no-one mentioned that angle either, even though the very next case was introduced as being a report of time slip!

The Jason Manford case had some odd details missing. Specifically, he mentioned that he has twin daughters and he was Face Timing with them, and as they were 'coming up to' the age of 3, I assume the twins would have been with their mum or another adult at around 8.30pm. But as he reported it, it would appear that only one of his daughters could see the man behind Jason (later found out to be - possibly - the ghost of murdered Victorian actor William Terriss). Did his other daughter, or his wife, confirm whether they could see the same man on the screen?

I know how nit-picky those points sound, but surely everyone involved and/or listening must have questions like that?

Oh, and also in the case of the girl who reported the Oxford Street time slip (said to last something like a minute) - no mention was made of how the experience made her feel. Was she scared? Panicking? Did she move around much or interact with anyone or anything in her suddenly strange surroundings? Did the people she could see react in any way to her? A 1990's teenager popping up in Victorian London would surely have looked very out of place! Did she pick up on any specific details (if she had a minute to take it in) apart from the chestnut vendor? Perhaps most obviously missing, how did the time slip end?

Oh dear. So many questions! So intriguing. Any chance of another episode to follow these cases up, I wonder?

Last edited:
Just put my feet up and enjoyed the hour long Hay Festival "Uncanny" special. Very entertaining stuff. The hour flew by and left me wanting more. All the stories were intriguing, but as always I felt there were some big, frustrating omissions with regard to details. I realise there is only so much you can fit into an hour, but there was a fair bit of waffle and repetition at times. Once or twice I felt like shouting my questions at the radio (well, at my smartphone). For example:

In the case of the fireman who saw the 'ghost' of the late Mrs Wilson, his description of her was quite sketchy and (as they pointed out) could have described many elderly ladies. Was there anything specific about the woman he saw that could have pinpointed that it was definitely Mrs Wilson? Would it be possible to identify it was the same woman from a photo of her? And I don't think they mentioned how recently she had died. I assume (as she was so readily identified by the next-door neighbour) that it had probably not been too long since she had shuffled (in her slippers) off her mortal coil. No-one seemed to remark on how unusual it is for an apparent ghost to engage a living person in conversation either!! That particular aspect led me to wonder if there could be a more 'time slippy' explanation to the event, but no-one mentioned that angle either, even though the very next case was introduced as being a report of time slip!

The Jason Manford case had some odd details missing. Specifically, he mentioned that he has twin daughters and he was Face Timing with them, and as they were 'coming up to' the age of 3, I assume the twins would have been with their mum or another adult at around 8.30pm. But as he reported it, it would appear that only one of his daughters could see the man behind Jason (later found out to be - possibly - the ghost of murdered Victorian actor William Terriss). Did his other daughter, or his wife, confirm whether they could see the same man on the screen?

I know how nit-picky those points sound, but surely everyone involved and/or listening must have questions like that?

Oh, and also in the case of the girl who reported the Oxford Street time slip (said to last something like a minute) - no mention was made of how the experience made her feel. Was she scared? Panicking? Did she move around much or interact with anyone or anything in her suddenly strange surroundings? Did the people she could see react in any way to her? A 1990's teenager popping up in Victorian London would surely have looked very out of place! Did she pick up on any specific details (if she had a minute to take it in) apart from the chestnut vendor? Perhaps most obviously missing, how did the time slip end?

Oh dear. So many questions! So intriguing. Any chance of another episode to follow these cases up, I wonder?
I feel some fair points there.

The fireman's experience was perhaps the least convincing as he would certainly have been distracted at times and unfortunately there are elderly people with dementia/other conditions that might behave in that manner.

Jason's experience was intriguing and well narrated but begs the question as to why the FaceTime call wasn't recorded when the 'man' was first mentioned:

https://riverside.fm/blog/how-to-record-a-facetime-call

I agree, the London time-slip was fascinating but desperately needs to be followed up, come on Danny...!

I feel some fair points there.

The fireman's experience was perhaps the least convincing as he would certainly have been distracted at times and unfortunately there are elderly people with dementia/other conditions that might behave in that manner.

Jason's experience was intriguing and well narrated but begs the question as to why the FaceTime call wasn't recorded when the 'man' was first mentioned:

https://riverside.fm/blog/how-to-record-a-facetime-call

I agree, the London time-slip was fascinating but desperately needs to be followed up, come on Danny...!
Yes, as I say, these cases all throw up lots of questions. I agree that on the face of it the case of the Tony the fireman's experience is probably the easiest to explain, but is still intriguing.

I have just re-listened to the whole show and enjoyed it again. Great fun. One other thing that occurred to me re: the Oxford Street time slip, was that it happened as Laura exited the big HMV store. Did she turn around and look behind her at the shop she had just walked out of? Was it still there? Or was it a different shop? I suppose what I'm asking is : was she surrounded by the strangeness or was it like a vision in front of her? Also, it must be possible to research which shops occupied that part of Oxford Street in, say, the late 19th Century. If she specifically said she turned around to look at the shop behind her to find it had turned into a old-fashioned gentleman's outfitters - and then the records showed that there had been such a shop in that building in the 1890s, I for one would be impressed. And what was Laura feeling? As someone who is fascinated by reports I have read of time slips, I have to say I would love to experience one. But if I did I think my first emotion would be terror at the thought that I would be stuck forever in the past. Or maybe whatever causes these things to happen would know that I was out of my proper time and erase me before I did anything to disrupt history. Obviously the only reports we have of time slips are from people who experience it fleetingly and then find themselves back in their own time. What if some people don't make it back?

I’ve dug up some pictures of Victorian Oxford street. I’m not sure they help but it’s interesting.

https://www.victorianlondon.org/districts/oxfordstreet.htm
24C2BF12-60BF-433B-9886-E358CB03D2AC.gif
80FA9121-2843-44C5-B17B-E0F2BB0B7399.gif

Yes, as I say, these cases all throw up lots of questions. I agree that on the face of it the case of the Tony the fireman's experience is probably the easiest to explain, but is still intriguing.

I have just re-listened to the whole show and enjoyed it again. Great fun. One other thing that occurred to me re: the Oxford Street time slip, was that it happened as Laura exited the big HMV store. Did she turn around and look behind her at the shop she had just walked out of? Was it still there? Or was it a different shop? I suppose what I'm asking is : was she surrounded by the strangeness or was it like a vision in front of her? Also, it must be possible to research which shops occupied that part of Oxford Street in, say, the late 19th Century. If she specifically said she turned around to look at the shop behind her to find it had turned into a old-fashioned gentleman's outfitters - and then the records showed that there had been such a shop in that building in the 1890s, I for one would be impressed. And what was Laura feeling? As someone who is fascinated by reports I have read of time slips, I have to say I would love to experience one. But if I did I think my first emotion would be terror at the thought that I would be stuck forever in the past. Or maybe whatever causes these things to happen would know that I was out of my proper time and erase me before I did anything to disrupt history. Obviously the only reports we have of time slips are from people who experience it fleetingly and then find themselves back in their own time. What if some people don't make it back?
The tone of the experience was a bit too 'matter-of-fact' for my liking but then it was Danny reading out a message someone else had sent him, so a lot of nuance will have got lost. One thing that did sound authentic was the description of horse urine and manure as there was apparently a bit of a problem with how much manure was deposited in the age of the horse-drawn cab and cart:

https://www.uu.nl/en/research/urban.../mobility-museum-2050/the-great-manure-crisis

I raised this issue on here before - about the ubiquity of elderly people. Can't for the life of me remember where, but it was along the lines of someone saying that they'd seen an 'old person' and describing them and the listener going 'Ooooh, that sounds just like my Freda!' (Or Fred or Wally, you get the picture). Older person, grey hair, a bit stooped, smiling - that could be anyone from the Queen to my dad, and the listener would tend to insert 'their Freda' into the image, thus making it 'obviously the ghost of recently passed Freda', when it could just be a neighbour's elderly visitor.

Back