• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I would recommend you try one, catseye. What's the worst that could happen? In my personal opinion, it's occasionally a bit frustrating, with moments when a witness describes something and you think Danny (the interviewer) must then ask a screamingly obvious follow-up question - but he doesn't. But generally the cases investigated are dealt with quite well, with 'experts' commenting sensibly and suggesting possible explanations. No definite conclusions are ever reached, one way or the other. By and large, it's quite a superior programme - just not perfect. It does at least give listeners the chance to contribute their comments and theories, and they do have occasional episodes where they go over what has been sent in regarding previous episodes. Despite my reservations, it has become a 'listening highlight of the week' for me!

Agree 100% - it has some issues but it is definitely worth a listen and I continue to enjoy it.

I had to laugh at the start of this week's episode where Danny mentioned his claim that this series was the largest investigation of its kind, and he noted how some may question that. I laughed because that was one of the things I remarked upon in this thread when it first got started, as I thought it was a bold claim (and still do). It made me wonder whether Danny has been reading this thread himself, if not perhaps people were saying similar on social media!

The latest episode mentions Aberfan disaster premonitions. There is a case of such a premonition on pages 226-227 of the book 'Deliverance' by Jason Bray, Anglican Priest in Wrexham, which came out in 2020. I enjoyed the book although arguably it's inconclusive. A man driving to Aberfan sees a line of hearses blocking his route, which then suddenly vanish. This happened about six months before the disaster.
I remember reading ages ago that many children had nightmares before the disaster.

I have just listened to this week's episode. Another interesting one. Premonitions are fascinating. Also interesting to hear the follow-ups on the Luibeilt bothy case, and the additional weird happenings in the other poltergeist haunting. I loved the angry Victorian hellfire sermon coming through the baby monitor! Super creepy stuff. As always, more questions raised than were answered, but at least the 'Mary Celeste' element of the bothy story got explained.

Just caught up on the last 3 episodes while working through a tedious task. The bothy sounded really interesting but I wasn't sure if the witness was just good at spinning out a tall tale; I would certainly have investigated the noises (overwhelming curiosity in the face of terror will be my downfall, I'm sure). And, unless I missed something, the guy didn't investigate the hatch in the floor of his lodgings? Exploding lightbulbs or no exploding lightbulbs, I'd have that hatch open in a jiffy. As far as the baby monitor goes, how can you tell the sermon was Victorian? It sounds more likely that it picked up some Evangelical Christian radio channel.

I have a certain fascination with road ghosts, and the one in the latest episode gives a nice twist with the experience coming before a fatal accident.

As far as the baby monitor goes, how can you tell the sermon was Victorian? It sounds more likely that it picked up some Evangelical Christian radio channel.
Well, yes. Perhaps 'Victorian sounding' or 'Victorian style' would be better phrasing. Would be really interesting if anyone could have given any details about what exactly was being preached, but understandably that might be a bit too much to expect!

I'm slightly stuck on this, too. one person on their own might not venture upstairs, but two adult men...?

But I appreciate this witness coming forward and am enjoying the series, so keep them coming...!
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/luibeilt-lodge-poltergeist.69077/

Seeing their witness testimony in writing has assuaged some of my doubts:

"Almost the minute we blew out our candle there were noises upstairs."
First they heard footsteps, then noises of the bed being put together followed by what sounded like the rock from the window sill being rolled across the floor.
Phil next recalls being awoken at 04:00 when the living room "erupted" with the sounds of objects - including the men's ice axes - being thrown "all over the place" in the darkness.
"I am absolutely petrified," says Phil.
The room fell silent again. Phil lit a candle but it was sent "flying across the room".
Next, the sound of footsteps again, but this time stomping down a spiral staircase from the upstairs to the closed living room door.
Grabbing his ice axe, Phil went to the door and threw it open but he says no-one was there.
It was then the climbers decided to make their escape out of an opened window.
Shining their headtorches to the upstairs bedroom window, Phil says they saw the curtains were now closed. The men fled for Kinlochleven.
Phil, who has sought out other people's experiences of the bothy, believes no-one could have been hiding in the lodge or arrived after they did.
"We would have seen their footprints in the snow," he says.

In particular:

"Exploring the property, the men noted each room was furnished and appeared to have been occupied, except one - a bedroom directly above the living room.
The small bedroom had a dismantled metal bed frame lying against a wall and a window with the curtains open. On the window sill there was a large stone." [my bold].

Uncanny is now my Sunday night listening whilst preparing my packed lunch et for another week of work, so just caught up with the latest episode.

I found the follow-ups really intriguing, especially the Scottish lodge haunting (can't spell it...!). The girl in the house with the skeptic family has made quite a claim with the baby monitor, shame there isn't a recording of this phenomena...? Of all the cases, this remains the one I have the most niggling doubts over, it feels a bit scripted and that 'typical haunting' boxes are being ticked, which might be a bit unfair, but there you are.

The female van driver was a great new one, good find Danny...! I would love to hear some more details about what she actually saw as she 'hit' the man: for example, what size/weight was he, could she see his clothing or features, or see his terrified eyes...? The actual 'collision' details are quite brief. Also, a map of the location with her experience and the actual crash, because we don't know that it was the same spot as the actual murder, just the same street. Again, not dismissing her testimony but there are unanswered questions.

Once again the skeptic drew parallels with other events and took the focus off of what actually happened. He questioned what would happen if premonitions could be collated in advance of accidents, crashes etc and tries to make it all sound a bit ridiculous. Well, we have an actual example of this in the case of the freight train that changed its number:

https://www.railexpress.co.uk/1986/fate-or-coincidence/

A woman had a recurring dream that a British Rail Class 47 locomotive was involved in fatal collision. She could clearly see its number panted on the side. She contacted BR and they took it seriously enough to change the number of the locomotive (quite a clever move), however train spotters noticed the change. Sadly, the accident happened as predicted and involved the renumbered train and there was indeed a fatality and multiple injuries. The case was investigated and written about by forum member Jenny Randles.

Last edited:
The female van driver was a great new one, good find Danny...! I would love to hear some more details about what she actually saw as she 'hit' the man: for example, what size/weight was he, could she see his clothing or features, or see his terrified eyes...? The actual 'collision' details are quite brief. Also, a map of the location with her experience and the actual crash, because we don't know that it was the same spot as the actual murder, just the same street. Again, not dismissing her testimony but there are unanswered questions.
Yes, that occured to me too. It was another example of a moment where you wanted more detail, and I was really willing Danny to ask a few more questions. Particularly when it was suggested that the driver (Amanda iirc) might have actually hit an animal of some kind, but had made an assumption it was a man, possibly because she was in a bit of a reverie at the moment of collision. Did she know for certain what she hit was a human? Did she see clothes, or a face, or human hands etc. Also, it was stated that she travelled for a distance (unclear how far) with the 'man' on the bonnet on the van, but it wasn't clear at what point she braked or when/how the man fell off the bonnet. Sorry to sound nit-picky, but when you are listening and you're trying to visualise the event, I find the gaps left by bits of missing description a bit jarring. I still enjoy the programmes a lot though!

Yes, that occured to me too. It was another example of a moment where you wanted more detail, and I was really willing Danny to ask a few more questions. Particularly when it was suggested that the driver (Amanda iirc) might have actually hit an animal of some kind, but had made an assumption it was a man, possibly because she was in a bit of a reverie at the moment of collision. Did she know for certain what she hit was a human? Did she see clothes, or a face, or human hands etc. Also, it was stated that she travelled for a distance (unclear how far) with the 'man' on the bonnet on the van, but it wasn't clear at what point she braked or when/how the man fell off the bonnet. Sorry to sound nit-picky, but when you are listening and you're trying to visualise the event, I find the gaps left by bits of missing description a bit jarring. I still enjoy the programmes a lot though!
Spot on. Also, what detail did she see that convinced her she had 'hit' a man and not a woman...?

Answers please Danny ;)

Interesting episode. It made me roll my eyes when the witness saw the funeral in the churchyard outside his daughter's room, with a reaction, more or less, of "Oh my God! A funeral in the church outside our house! How dare they... I must rush out and put a stop to this at once!" If you don't want to see a funeral from your house, don't move next door to a church. I have a graveyard diagonally opposite my living room window, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It was a really interesting one this week. I do love the dinning room time slip.
Yes, really interesting experiences in and around that former hotel made for a great episode.

Have to say that Skeptic Hayley doesn’t sound as if she believes her own lame explanations and comes across as. lacking confidence . I’ve somewhat downgraded my opinion of her work as a result as I don’t feel “Oh, he was in a dream state, yeah” quite cuts the mustard when you consider what he is reporting (dining room time slip). Then why aren’t millions of people reporting such experiences on a daily basis…? Yet she rather bigs herself up on her website:

https://hayleyisaghost.co.uk/

I notice she homes in on people making some pretty ridiculous claims and proffering dodgy photos, such as a terrible image of a supposed British Bigfoot. Care to solve the Battersea Poltergeist, Hayley…?

Last edited:
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/6752033.death-trial-witness-tells-of-fight/

“The driver got out of the van, the door was left open. He went around the back of the van and there were two lads there and they had a confrontation. He was angry, aggressive maybe.

"They were saying things to each other but I could not say what they were.

"I believe it was the driver who threw the first punch. Then I remember quite a few other lads coming from nowhere really."

Mr Senior told the court one of the youths taunted the driver saying, "Do you think you are man enough?" and throwing punches at him.

The court then heard from witness Amanda Sturgess who was a passenger in a car going past the scene. She described seeing one of the people fighting being headbutted and kneed in the groin.

Earlier, the court heard a 16-year-old girl describe seeing her friend David Elwood "spreadeagled" across the front of the van.

Laura Walmsley said she was walking with friends, including Mr Elwood, along Station Approach but the group had separated into smaller parties and she had gone ahead.

Describing the moment she became aware of the collision, she said: "I looked up. I saw a body on the bonnet. I looked away to say something to somebody and then I looked back again.

"The van was moving. The person was spreadeagled across the bonnet. I think his chest was downwards but I am not quite sure.

"There were not many jerky movements. It was being driven quite normally as far as I remember.

"I saw the van driving off and Dave was in the middle of the road."

So, was the victim hit by the van at speed or was he on the bonnet after being physically attacked and the van drove off…?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/6752033.death-trial-witness-tells-of-fight/

“The driver got out of the van, the door was left open. He went around the back of the van and there were two lads there and they had a confrontation. He was angry, aggressive maybe.

"They were saying things to each other but I could not say what they were.

"I believe it was the driver who threw the first punch. Then I remember quite a few other lads coming from nowhere really."

Mr Senior told the court one of the youths taunted the driver saying, "Do you think you are man enough?" and throwing punches at him.

The court then heard from witness Amanda Sturgess who was a passenger in a car going past the scene. She described seeing one of the people fighting being headbutted and kneed in the groin.

Earlier, the court heard a 16-year-old girl describe seeing her friend David Elwood "spreadeagled" across the front of the van.

Laura Walmsley said she was walking with friends, including Mr Elwood, along Station Approach but the group had separated into smaller parties and she had gone ahead.

Describing the moment she became aware of the collision, she said: "I looked up. I saw a body on the bonnet. I looked away to say something to somebody and then I looked back again.”

So, was the victim hit by the van at speed or was he on the bonnet after being physically attacked and the van drove off…?
I read through some of the news reports and it appears the angry driver jumped in his van after the fight and deliberately drove it at speed at two pedestrians.

I read through some of the news reports and it appears the angry driver jumped in his van after the fight and deliberately drove it at speed at two pedestrians.
True, this explains it better:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/6768793.murder-hunt-as-man-mown-down/

“But minutes later the older man got behind the wheel of a white van, which mounted the pavement and knocked down Mr Elwood and one of the boys involved in the fight”

So, the unfortunate victim was hit on the pavement and not in the road. Where was our lady van driver when she experienced her crash: on the road or on the pavement…? If she wasn’t in the exact same location then to my mind it unfortunately weakens the case for a premonition

Last edited:
True, this explains it better:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/6768793.murder-hunt-as-man-mown-down/

“But minutes later the older man got behind the wheel of a white van, which mounted the pavement and knocked down Mr Elwood and one of the boys involved in the fight”

So, the unfortunate victim was hit on the pavement and not in the road. Where was our lady van driver when she experienced her crash: on the road or on the pavement…? If she wasn’t in the exact same location then to my mind it unfortunately weakens the case for a premonition

She could have hit someone and they slinked off unseen, as I said earlier. But would a ghost register as an impact? What about all those tales of cars passing straight through road ghosts? Does that not count here?

She could have hit someone and they slinked off unseen, as I said earlier. But would a ghost register as an impact? What about all those tales of cars passing straight through road ghosts? Does that not count here?
From reading up on road ghosts (including books by Sean Tudor & Ruth Roper-Wylde) it seems about 50/50 if you hear/feel something or they pass right through your car

From reading up on road ghosts (including books by Sean Tudor & Ruth Roper-Wylde) it seems about 50/50 if you hear/feel something or they pass right through your car

How strange to feel something from a non-corporeal spirit. Would it all be in your mind, from your expectation of impact, or is there something almost solid there?

How strange to feel something from a non-corporeal spirit. Would it all be in your mind, from your expectation of impact, or is there something almost solid there?
It is an interesting point. I suppose many people have claimed to have been pushed by a ghost, and poltergeists famously throw objects and bang on walls etc.

Interestingly, In the well-documented and still unexplained Stocksbridge Bypass haunting, the two Police officers claimed their car received a heavy blow on the boot area after seeing the ghostly figure.

Just thoroughly enjoyed 'Uncanny' episode 13 - the Elizabeth Dacre story. Immediately want to know A LOT more! Again! Especially regarding the 'time slip'. One thing struck me : it was stated that the alarm went off in that room every night at 1 am. On the occasion of the time slip event, the witness had gone to investigate the room and saw a room full of diners in swanky dress at tables. He shut the door and.... what? Just went back to bed? And so did the alarm carry on going off at the same time on subsequent nights? Would you not be waiting for it? Would you not have to investigate it again, see if the same apparition happened again? Also, were there any noises or chatter heard, as one might from a room full of people eating their dinner in a hotel? And, as always, can any other witness(es) to the events recounted in this episode be tracked down to give their take on things? Very entertaining stuff though!

He might have been freaked out.
Oh I'm sure he was! Who wouldn't be? But if it happened in your house, and then the alarm continued going off at the same time every night, I can't help thinking your curiosity would force you to investigate. I mean, if it happened again, then you could really freak out!!

Oh I'm sure he was! Who wouldn't be? But if it happened in your house, and then the alarm continued going off at the same time every night, I can't help thinking your curiosity would force you to investigate. I mean, if it happened again, then you could really freak out!!

I dunno, my threshold for freaking out is quite low!

Wouldn't it be nifty if there was a story from the time back when the house had been a hotel that one evening the guests were startled during dinner when the door of the dining room had suddenly opened and they all saw a man (in his jimjams?) with a stunned look on his face staring at them for a few seconds before slamming the door shut. And no-one knew who he was, where he came from or where he went.........

A mate was called to a intruder alarm that would go off at 7:30 every night,
after a few visits the intruder was found, a bloody spider was putting it's
self to bed in one of the nice warm detectors at the same time every night.
:omr:

Back