• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Paul, just do a bloody podcast dissecting this stuff, I have an urgent need to fill my days listening to your amazing research and debunking

Edit: Team up with Dr. Paul Lee!

Paul & Paul Presents The Practical Paranormal Podcast, puncturing the paranormal for your pleasure....
Fixed that alliteration for you there...

Paul, just do a bloody podcast dissecting this stuff, I have an urgent need to fill my days listening to your amazing research and debunking

Edit: Team up with Dr. Paul Lee!

Paul & Paul Presents The Practical Paranormal Podcast, debunking the paranormal for your pleasure....
I second that, just no screeching, manic laughing or guests who fought off an alien invasion at three years old.

I wouldn't be averse to some kind of research collaboration or podcast with @Paul_Exeter (if he's up for it), but not at the moment. I've got a talk to write, a book to research ... oh and hourly screaming rants at Amazon and my hosting company. I'll be lucky to leave 2024 with any hair.

Well thats pissed me off as can't get tickets for the Theatre Royal Newcastle Uncanny show and on top of not getting tickets for 40th anniversary of Auf Wiedersehen Pet ( and I missed the 30th one 10 years ago).
Bah Humbug.

I spent a year working for the Canterbury Archaeological Trust. I may've only been a digger and find cleaner but picked up a tip or two ... ;)
In the book "Gordon" turns up with a "team of student archaeologists". I have some experience of just such an arrangement whist working at Dartington Hall (Devon, UK). Many of the records associated with the history of the buildings and land were kept in an office in Exeter but sadly lost during bombing (Exeter was blitzed). Thus archeological surveys were commissioned every summer by University students and their tutors and they made some interesting finds such an elaborate Medieval cloak pin from someone of high status that was restored and placed in a museum.

Many point in writing the above is that I can go online and find the records of these digs that ere taking place in the 1990s and earlier. I should be able to do the same with the Averham dig by Gordon and his students.

Oh dear.
IMG_4105.jpeg

This is a strange one, but it's related to this topic in a way - basically back in the late 1990s I was living in Walthamstow, London where I was flat sharing with an old school friend of mine. His girlfriend at the time who we called Cat, which was a shortened form of Cath was a media or drama student or some such. She had a friend called Mouse (I know right, seems unoriginal but Mouse was very small in stature), unsure what her real name was but again a drama student or similar.

They pulled a cunning wheeze that took advantage of the rise in popularity of those confrontational style chat shows (Vannessa, Trisha, Kilroy etc... etc...) - the ones where they'd have troubled individuals with complex relationship issues that people could gawp at as a part of the daytime TV offering. Sometimes there'd be a DNA test, other times a shock revelation and oftentimes the need for security to be called on to the stage.

Cat, Mouse and a friend (my old school pal was offered the role, but as a professional musician thought it would be reputational suicide and declined) managed to get themselves onto one of these shows as a fake threesome. The reveal was that one of them was having an affair with another, who was transexual, but when Cat discovered this she was OK with the whole menage a trois arrangement. In fact, one of the 'boys' was Mouse disguised as a male which they thought was particularly cunning. The whole show would barely raise an eyebrow these days, but at the time and with the average daytime TV audience it was probably considered quite a thing.

They were caught out and made to apologise. Their story became wrapped up in wider news coverage around fake guests and paid actors being featured in Vanessa, Trisha and other shows. Turned out that there was an agency in Walthamstow (see where I'm going with this yet?) that was deploying these guests, who were either paid or wannabe stars.

My partner and I met in the 'stow and both sat for the first half of the first episode of the TV show scratching our heads trying to work out where we'd seen Cate from. It'd been a long time, but I am convinced that I recognised the distinct voice of Cat from Walthamstow and my partner recognised her face.

Obviously I have no proof or anything, the details are scant and subject to the effects of the mists of time on memory, the collective agreement on her identity could be some form of sympathetic alignment of those memories, so I am not accusing anyone of anything.

Perhaps Cate's experiences were real, but there are a couple of flags in there: the addition of the timeslip experience, which kind of came out of the left field; Cate's profession being 'in the music business' or similar; the way that there was already some online chatter about a ghost in the house before the experience was brought to the production team's notice (a 2010 post, which has since been deleted, along with it's cache although a transcript can be found in a sceptical post on reddit here - Reddit link); that Cat wasn't particularly shy about expressing her opinions and recounting her experiences to us when we knew her and she never once mentioned any ghosts; and, as a final Fortean touch:

A number of researchers were sacked as a result of the Trisha show fiasco, but not the Editor who had worked on a number of these shows.

The Editors name - Ms. Howard....!

Some references below to the talk show scandals:

Reference at Paragraph 19 to the three students who committed the referenced hoax
Vanessa Show Scandal
Tony Papotto - Strippergram Angent and Talk Show Guest Provider
Ms Howard comments
Free Library Archive of the Trisha Show Scandal Mirror Article

This is a strange one, but it's related to this topic in a way - basically back in the late 1990s I was living in Walthamstow, London where I was flat sharing with an old school friend of mine. His girlfriend at the time who we called Cat, which was a shortened form of Cath was a media or drama student or some such.....

They pulled a cunning wheeze that took advantage of the rise in popularity of those confrontational style chat shows (Vannessa, Trisha, Kilroy etc... etc...) -

Cat, Mouse and a friend.... managed to get themselves onto one of these shows as a fake threesome,,,
My partner and I met in the 'stow and both sat for the first half of the first episode of the TV show scratching our heads trying to work out where we'd seen Cate from. It'd been a long time, but I am convinced that I recognised the distinct voice of Cat from Walthamstow and my partner recognised her face.

Perhaps Cate's experiences were real, but there are a couple of flags in there: the addition of the timeslip experience, which kind of came out of the left field; Cate's profession being 'in the music business' or similar; the way that there was already some online chatter about a ghost in the house before the experience was brought to the production team's notice (a 2010 post, which has since been deleted, along with it's cache although a transcript can be found in a sceptical post on reddit here - Reddit link); that Cat wasn't particularly shy about expressing her opinions and recounting her experiences to us when we knew her and she never once mentioned any ghosts; and, as a final Fortean touch:
If Uncanny Kate was a fake, she's a terrific actor!

I would like to see some cultural comparison shows - I don't think there have been any such things, have there? Comparing the perception of ghosts/demons/otherworldly entities in various cultures and reports of same. I was thinking about events like the Tsunami and something equally nationally devastating in another culture (the only thing I could come up with was Aberfan, but there must be other...). It would be fascinating to see how cultural expectation and interpretation played into apparitions and sightings.

This is a strange one, but it's related to this topic in a way - basically back in the late 1990s I was living in Walthamstow, London where I was flat sharing with an old school friend of mine. His girlfriend at the time who we called Cat, which was a shortened form of Cath was a media or drama student or some such. She had a friend called Mouse (I know right, seems unoriginal but Mouse was very small in stature), unsure what her real name was but again a drama student or similar.

They pulled a cunning wheeze that took advantage of the rise in popularity of those confrontational style chat shows (Vannessa, Trisha, Kilroy etc... etc...) - the ones where they'd have troubled individuals with complex relationship issues that people could gawp at as a part of the daytime TV offering. Sometimes there'd be a DNA test, other times a shock revelation and oftentimes the need for security to be called on to the stage.

Cat, Mouse and a friend (my old school pal was offered the role, but as a professional musician thought it would be reputational suicide and declined) managed to get themselves onto one of these shows as a fake threesome. The reveal was that one of them was having an affair with another, who was transexual, but when Cat discovered this she was OK with the whole menage a trois arrangement. In fact, one of the 'boys' was Mouse disguised as a male which they thought was particularly cunning. The whole show would barely raise an eyebrow these days, but at the time and with the average daytime TV audience it was probably considered quite a thing.

They were caught out and made to apologise. Their story became wrapped up in wider news coverage around fake guests and paid actors being featured in Vanessa, Trisha and other shows. Turned out that there was an agency in Walthamstow (see where I'm going with this yet?) that was deploying these guests, who were either paid or wannabe stars.

Obviously I have no proof or anything, the details are scant and subject to the effects of the mists of time on memory, the collective agreement on her identity could be some form of sympathetic alignment of those memories, so I am not accusing anyone of anything.

A number of researchers were sacked as a result of the Trisha show fiasco, but not the Editor who had worked on a number of these shows.

Reference at Paragraph 19 to the three students who committed the referenced hoax
Vanessa Show Scandal
Ms Howard comments
That is intriguing.

In 2003/4 I worked in a country hotel on the edge of a village near Norfolk and we had Trisha guests 'billeted' with us before the show. Some of the behaviours from the children was interesting to say the least. One chap was dropped off at lunchtime with the strict instructions that he wasn't to have a drop of alcohol otherwise he would become violent; yeah no problem with our licensed bar and two pubs in the village...

Last edited:
I'm sure it'll be fine. I mean, judging from the rich haunted history highlighted by Zak Baggins, Danny should have no trouble finding hyperbole and creepypasta with which to fill his shows.

sighs heavily in "why can't we have nice things Americans haven't fucked up"

Yes, I am American.

Vanessa Show Scandal
Ms Howard comments
Nice bit of detective work and have you mentioned on Dannys X or Facebook account.
Could not find the Vanessa show on YouTube sadly.

Though Cilla Black did fight back with 'exposing' a journalist on Blind Date. The woman had the temerity to "take the place of a genuine person wanting a date" apparently.
Still didn't explain the presence of Amanda Holden (actress) or Simon Cowell (record executive) on episodes though. He managed to blag it on Sale of The Century too.

Though Cilla Black did fight back with 'exposing' a journalist on Blind Date. The woman had the temerity to "take the place of a genuine person wanting a date" apparently.
Still didn't explain the presence of Amanda Holden (actress) or Simon Cowell (record executive) on episodes though. He managed to blag it on Sale of The Century too.
The difference must be that she was in on two blags and not the other. :chuckle:

Back