• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I read a really great chapter, once, in a book written by the controversial scholar Camille Paglia. In the chapter, she detailed a class at her university, lectures which seemed exciting and original to me (though perhaps familiar to academics): cross-cultural lectures, hosted by Paglia and an Asian colleague, comparing and contrasting Western and Eastern experiences of art and literature. I thought this both fantastic and progressive, and I learned a great deal. So perhaps Uncanny's proposed widening of scope - regarding other nations' experiences of the extraordinary - might turn out to be an education and an entertainment?
No, it will be a cynical move for ££s (or $$s). Cross cultural (so long as it didn't linger too long on the US, because other cultures we know much less about might be way more interesting) paranormal show - a new, separate show - would be great. But turning this show into something else - is sad. (Vide the US episodes of Black Mirror. Netflix budget much better than a C4 budget but the show lost so much and those US ones, in a mixed season, are still the duller episodes, usually).

No, it will be a cynical move for ££s (or $$s). Cross cultural (so long as it didn't linger too long on the US, because other cultures we know much less about might be way more interesting) paranormal show - a new, separate show - would be great. But turning this show into something else - is sad. (Vide the US episodes of Black Mirror. Netflix budget much better than a C4 budget but the show lost so much and those US ones, in a mixed season, are still the duller episodes, usually).
I’m still wary after what happened when they Americanised Torchwood and killed it.

I just listened to the Season 3 update. The flashing roadworks lamp reconstituting itself and moving upstairs by itself gave me goosebumps!

I get tired of seismic activity being blamed, in this case for the pounding on the door, especially with something as insignificant as grade 2 on the Richter Scale. I think anyone suggesting this has not experienced real seismic activity. One other side effect of seismic activity is you  feel it in your body. For a minor quake, the strange sensation akin to dizziness may be the only thing you notice.

Cue Torchwood.

Just listened to the recent podcast and the names of them seemed like a joke like the couple Carly Simon, Elton and Sookie which was the name of the actress Anna Paquin in the USA Paranormal show True Blood.

USA: Hey UK can we borrow your toy (Torchwood)?

UK: Erm ok.

USA plays with toy and then breaks it.

USA: Here you can have it back now.

UK looks at the broken pieces of its favourite toy.
UK: Hey, USA - that looks like a really fun holiday tradition. Can we copy it?
USA: Er. Sure ... if you like.
UK: Exploits it to sell mass-produced tat.
UK: How come it's not as fun as yours?

Was watching the tv series again last night to watch Cate again (Ms Howard). All I could take from it is how comfortable she was on camera.

Want to you think about Cate and the Ms Howard thing as when I first saw it I loved the story but Cate I was like half and half on her....my heart said no but then thats my pessimistic side.
I'd hate to think she was a fake. Lying is just such a boring explanation for alleged paranormal events!

Mebbe see you there ghost in the machine.I will be the one in the tinfoil hat jumping up and screaming at every bump bang and noise

I just listened to the Season 3 update. The flashing roadworks lamp reconstituting itself and moving upstairs by itself gave me goosebumps!

I get tired of seismic activity being blamed, in this case for the pounding on the door, especially with something as insignificant as grade 2 on the Richter Scale. I think anyone suggesting this has not experienced real seismic activity. One other side effect of seismic activity is you  feel it in your body. For a minor quake, the strange sensation akin to dizziness may be the only thing you notice.
The flashing lamp was one of the most frightening, tangible and perplexing happenings of all time on the podcast, should have taken central stage with the original episode

Last edited:
I was just thinking about the uncle whatsit episode. Could it be pressure? Our living room door has been rattling like someone is trying to get in but it’s just the wind. Could there have been a pressure build up in the house which usually resulted in the window opening? But because they’d nailed it shut it just built up and built up, resulting in the door rattling strongly? To me it would make more sense than a ghost getting annoyed at a closed window.

I was just thinking about the uncle whatsit episode. Could it be pressure? Our living room door has been rattling like someone is trying to get in but it’s just the wind. Could there have been a pressure build up in the house which usually resulted in the window opening? But because they’d nailed it shut it just built up and built up, resulting in the door rattling strongly? To me it would make more sense than a ghost getting annoyed at a closed window.
Also we were able to locate the house on Google maps and there is a footpath and an iron gate running down the left-hand side of the building (as you look at it) which was possibly adjacent to the living room and bedroom in question. Those steps led down from what looks like a communal parking area of sorts, so is it possible someone returning home late and wearing heavy boots could be heard thumping down the steps and then manhandling the iron gate (rusty perhaps) and out onto the street? This would explain the regularity and timing of the event in the evenings.

Having lived in old properties in quiet, rural areas it is astonishing how you can pick up on sounds from outside that you wouldn't perhaps notice on a busy street. For example, our old house in a quiet Devon village was detached, had pretty thick walls and a tall hedge around one side of the garden and yet just after the pub closed at night we would always hear the same women in heels clopping up the road on the other side of the hedge.

Anyway this is a possibility that would need to be eliminated but of course doesn't explain everything that happened in the house and certainly not in the wider hamlet

Last edited:
I really hope this is as well as and not instead of.

‘Danny Robins and his hugely popular Uncanny podcast, which was made into a TV series for BBC Two last year, will be going stateside with the launch of Uncanny USA.’

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/bbc-radio-4-refreshed-schedule-new-commissions
Not sure I like the sound of this, will it be all Demons and Roswell? Will listen but not enthusiastic about the idea

Btw the media speak in that press release made my eyes ache: "more joy"

Also:

"At the end of April there will be a season of programmes on ‘boys’ - looking into the issues and challenges facing young men and their parents in these complex times, presented by Sophia Smith-Galer, Jo Meek, and Catherine Carr."

Three female presenters for programmes on the issues and challenges facing boys and young men...?

I really hope this is as well as and not instead of.

‘Danny Robins and his hugely popular Uncanny podcast, which was made into a TV series for BBC Two last year, will be going stateside with the launch of Uncanny USA.’

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/bbc-radio-4-refreshed-schedule-new-commissions
I guess this is why Discovery cancelled a bunch of ghost shows....Kindred Spirits, Destination Fear and Ghost Brothers I've heard are done.

I hope he drops all the melodramatic Hollywood nonsense and gives us a straight-forward paranormal show without a bunch of bullshit.

I'm not going to hold my breath.

Danny Robins went on local radio asking to find Frank and the woman called Julie said she was the (previously unnamed) girl in the encounter. This Julie ended up on TV.
Tom Slemen then posted online that he just watched the show and he doesn't know who that woman is. The one he was describing and had met all those years ago was actually called Emma and looks nothing like Julie.
I had always thought that Tom Slemen had only ever met Frank and that Frank had told Tom that there had been a young woman in the shop who also saw the time slip, and that was it. In other words, that Frank hadn't said, 'By the way, fellow time traveller, what is your name, for reference in 30 year's time?'

I had always thought that Tom Slemen had only ever met Frank and that Frank had told Tom that there had been a young woman in the shop who also saw the time slip, and that was it. In other words, that Frank hadn't said, 'By the way, fellow time traveller, what is your name, for reference in 30 year's time?'
This is the account he gives in 'Haunted Liverpool 2' twenty-odd years ago (the first time the case seems to have been mentioned in print}

The claim to have met and interviewed the woman involved (and Frank) not long after the event came in response to Julie appearing on 'Uncanny" and also he further elaborated on the event/story.

Seems a shame that Slemen missed the opportunity to update on this case back then rather than waiting so long to make this public [raised eyebrow smiley-thing]

Nice bit of detective work and have you mentioned on Dannys X or Facebook account.
Could not find the Vanessa show on YouTube sadly.
This is a strange one, but it's related to this topic in a way - basically back in the late 1990s I was living in Walthamstow, London where I was flat sharing with an old school friend of mine. His girlfriend at the time who we called Cat, which was a shortened form of Cath was a media or drama student or some such. She had a friend called Mouse (I know right, seems unoriginal but Mouse was very small in stature), unsure what her real name was but again a drama student or similar.

They pulled a cunning wheeze that took advantage of the rise in popularity of those confrontational style chat shows (Vannessa, Trisha, Kilroy etc... etc...) - the ones where they'd have troubled individuals with complex relationship issues that people could gawp at as a part of the daytime TV offering. Sometimes there'd be a DNA test, other times a shock revelation and oftentimes the need for security to be called on to the stage.

Cat, Mouse and a friend (my old school pal was offered the role, but as a professional musician thought it would be reputational suicide and declined) managed to get themselves onto one of these shows as a fake threesome. The reveal was that one of them was having an affair with another, who was transexual, but when Cat discovered this she was OK with the whole menage a trois arrangement. In fact, one of the 'boys' was Mouse disguised as a male which they thought was particularly cunning. The whole show would barely raise an eyebrow these days, but at the time and with the average daytime TV audience it was probably considered quite a thing.

They were caught out and made to apologise. Their story became wrapped up in wider news coverage around fake guests and paid actors being featured in Vanessa, Trisha and other shows. Turned out that there was an agency in Walthamstow (see where I'm going with this yet?) that was deploying these guests, who were either paid or wannabe stars.

My partner and I met in the 'stow and both sat for the first half of the first episode of the TV show scratching our heads trying to work out where we'd seen Cate from. It'd been a long time, but I am convinced that I recognised the distinct voice of Cat from Walthamstow and my partner recognised her face.

Obviously I have no proof or anything, the details are scant and subject to the effects of the mists of time on memory, the collective agreement on her identity could be some form of sympathetic alignment of those memories, so I am not accusing anyone of anything.

Perhaps Cate's experiences were real, but there are a couple of flags in there: the addition of the timeslip experience, which kind of came out of the left field; Cate's profession being 'in the music business' or similar; the way that there was already some online chatter about a ghost in the house before the experience was brought to the production team's notice (a 2010 post, which has since been deleted, along with it's cache although a transcript can be found in a sceptical post on reddit here - Reddit link); that Cat wasn't particularly shy about expressing her opinions and recounting her experiences to us when we knew her and she never once mentioned any ghosts; and, as a final Fortean touch:

A number of researchers were sacked as a result of the Trisha show fiasco, but not the Editor who had worked on a number of these shows.

The Editors name - Ms. Howard....!

Some references below to the talk show scandals:

Reference at Paragraph 19 to the three students who committed the referenced hoax
Vanessa Show Scandal
Tony Papotto - Strippergram Angent and Talk Show Guest Provider
Ms Howard comments
Free Library Archive of the Trisha Show Scandal Mirror Article
UPDATE: I recieved an email from the Series Producer for the Uncanny show stating:

"We take the authenticity of our contributors very seriously and conduct thorough background checks on everyone involved in the series including asking for evidence that they lived in the houses where there experiences took place. As I’m sure you can appreciate, when you’re dealing with stories about the paranormal, it isn’t possible to confirm the factual accuracy of every single one of their claims, but we do the best we can."

I can accept that in the good faith it was meant to be honest because how far can you go in ascertaining the veracity of any fortean experience without slipping into the bland 'it's all made up tripe' world of the Skeptic? Not that I want to enter into that debate, by the way.

UPDATE: I recieved an email from the Series Producer for the Uncanny show stating:

"We take the authenticity of our contributors very seriously and conduct thorough background checks on everyone involved in the series including asking for evidence that they lived in the houses where there experiences took place. As I’m sure you can appreciate, when you’re dealing with stories about the paranormal, it isn’t possible to confirm the factual accuracy of every single one of their claims, but we do the best we can."

I can accept that in the good faith it was meant to be honest because how far can you go in ascertaining the veracity of any fortean experience without slipping into the bland 'it's all made up tripe' world of the Skeptic? Not that I want to enter into that debate, by the way.
For those of you in the Society for Psychical Research the latest issue of The Magazine carries an exclusive interview with Danny Robins which does at one point cover this sort of thing.

Back