• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I eat my words. New episode now available, although not the episode as planned:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001lhl2
One feels that the episodes are carefully curated to feature varying content and sometimes to follow on from the last.
So people who might like to hear about (say) ghosts rather than UFOs can look forward to their favourite subject coming up.

I reckon the one playing now might have been quickly edited/cobbled up because it was supposed to be up next week.

Definitely not the episode they planned to release, Danny not able to give an explanation either by the sound of his introduction, he did respond to a tweet to confirm it wasn’t a case of someone trying to prank the Uncanny team.

So presumably legal action or the guest decided at the last minute that they didn’t want their story told. I would have thought legal action over a ghost story unlikely except I’m aware discussion of goings on in a certain cemetery were banned in this place for that very reason. As for the guest withdrawing at the last minute, I’d imagine getting an episode of this podcast ready takes place over a number of weeks, not months, plenty of time to think about whether you want your story told. Odd.

This is confusing.
IMG_0731.jpeg

Sometimes the BBC place promos for new shows on other popular shows, kind of like if you liked this, you might like this. However I agree it's a bit odd because Battersea poltergeist is done and dusted (usually I've seen these promos on ongoing shows) and I wouldn't particularly link those shows together. I'm not interested in Burke and Hare although to be fair we have a thread on them in the forum. It could make people think Battersea Poltergeist is coming back which seems very unlikely? :dunno:

discussion of goings on in a certain cemetery were banned in this place for that very reason.
The ban is over. :)

It was in place mainly to draw a line under the tedious self-aggrandising bickering.
The situation became rather ludicrous when some of the supporters of those arguing were actually the same person using multiple accounts, possibly the arguers themselves. :chuckle:
This became obvious now and then when a point was made under the wrong name.

I did of course seize upon such mistakes and was excommunicated or summat. :rollingw:

The interest for me was not learning the secrets of The Occulte so much as mocking self-proclaimed Masteres of Ye Mysteries.
Had dealings with prats like that in my youth. The cruelty was justified and appropriate.

I found the explanation from the engineering student quite interesting, however I don't have the knowledge to comment how plausible it was. Also quite amused Danny called Laura Whitmore a guest expert - she is a presenter and actress. Fair enough she's been in his play but come on. :thought:

Last edited:
No, no, the different witnesses from the Belfast case are in one place talking about their experiences, and the time/place they were living in then. So I think it's worth listening to!

I agree.
That last episode gave some interesting context to the phenomenon, occurring as it did during the Northern Ireland "troubles".
His initial thought following the banging on the door, was that the terrorists who he'd confronted about stealing beer kegs, had found out where he lived and had come to teach him a lesson.

I agree.
That last episode gave some interesting context to the phenomenon, occurring as it did during the Northern Ireland "troubles".
His initial thought following the banging on the door, was that the terrorists who he'd confronted about stealing beer kegs, had found out where he lived and had come to teach him a lesson.
Which would frighten me more than a ghos!

That was the central message of that last Uncanny - that living under the constant threat of real violence desensitises you to fear.
So, rather than being terrified of the paranormal, you can approach it with more of a pragmatic curiosity.
When he realised it wasn't terrorists hammering at his door and merely something supernatural i.e a different type of evil, he actually got a good night's sleep!

Last edited:
Fascinating episode but, without giving too much away, he has a strong belief in the underlying phenomenon behind what he claims.

Nick Pope next week, have had to remind myself that Uncanny has a wide audience whereas we on this forum have gone over both Rendlesham and Pope's exaggerations as regards his actual role many times before.

Last edited:
Fascinating episode but, without giving too much away, he has a strong belief in the underlying phenomenon behind what he claims.

Nick Pope next week, have had to remind myself that Uncanny has a wide audience whereas we on this forum have gone over both Rendlesham and Pope's exaggerations as regards his actual role many times before.
The most convincing occurrence was the first, with an apparent apparition. The second was, "OK, maybe." But the last one with the bullets there was no link to any kind of paranormal intervention, just blind luck.

S2, case 7: The Rendlesham Incident made for very interesting listening, notably the eye-witness testimony from Colonel Charles "Chuck" Halt.
Nick Pope and Ciarán O'Keeffe provide the credulous and sceptic analysis. From what I heard, the theory that it was the light from Orfordness lighthouse would seem to be thoroughly debunked, but O'Keeffe's explanation (he also witnessed the phenomenon) that it could have been the disintegration of the Russian Cosmos 749 satellite, resulting in meteor-like lights and debris, sounded plausible.

I just listened to the latest episode (Rendlesham). My first thought was "Oh, no, not Rendlesham, that's been done to death" To my great surprise, I really enjoyed the episode, and it has rekindled my interest in the case. I'm doubtful about the satellite reentry theory, which doesn't seem to match the witness accounts spread over several nights. Can anyone recommend a decent, suitably neutral, book on the subject? Preferably something recent?

I just listened to the latest episode (Rendlesham). My first thought was "Oh, no, not Rendlesham, that's been done to death" To my great surprise, I really enjoyed the episode, and it has rekindled my interest in the case. I'm doubtful about the satellite reentry theory, which doesn't seem to match the witness accounts spread over several nights. Can anyone recommend a decent, suitably neutral, book on the subject? Preferably something recent?
Not sure there are any in-depth neutral books on Rendlesham but try to track down anything written by Jenny Randles on this case (including articles) as she was involved at an early stage and - in my opinion - has the most balanced approach, you might find a copy of this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UFO-Landing-Friend-Rendlesham-Encounter/dp/0713726555

Then read "Left at East Gate":

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Left-East-...79136&sprefix=left+at+east+gate,aps,98&sr=8-2

Next read Nick Pope's book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Encounter-...41&sprefix=nick+pope+rendlesham,aps,97&sr=8-1

...and then visit Ian Ridpath's website:

http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/rendlesham.html

Then it is time to make your own mind up on the case - good luck...!

Not sure there are any in-depth neutral books on Rendlesham but try to track down anything written by Jenny Randles on this case (including articles) as she was involved at an early stage and - in my opinion - has the most balanced approach, you might find a copy of this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UFO-Landing-Friend-Rendlesham-Encounter/dp/0713726555

Then read "Left at East Gate":

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Left-East-Gate-Bentwater-Woodbridge-Investigation/dp/1854792318/ref=sr_1_2?crid=21DPO1PBWU6WE&keywords=left+at+east+gate&qid=1684579136&sprefix=left+at+east+gate,aps,98&sr=8-2

Next read Nick Pope's book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Encounter-Rendlesham-Forest-Best-Documented-Incident/dp/1250063310/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2SCLTWLJGIMUX&keywords=nick+pope+rendlesham&qid=1684579041&sprefix=nick+pope+rendlesham,aps,97&sr=8-1

...and then visit Ian Ridpath's website:

http://www.ianridpath.com/ufo/rendlesham.html

Then it is time to make your own mind up on the case - good luck...!
Thanks Paul! A touch better than my old generic UFO books..

Now listened to the Rendlesham episode and feel he did a great job of fitting so much into 20-odd minutes. Even Nick Pope shied away from some of his previous public exaggerations about his role and made some valid points. I felt it deserved two episodes but who knows, maybe it will feature again.

I’ve not heard all of it yet. Danny does get on my nerves describing people all the time.

My only problem with the ‘Victorian’ ghost is she’s dressed but has her hair down. Victorian ladies had their hair up otherwise they’d be thought of as floozy. If she had her nighty on I could understand it. Although maybe she took her hair down when she got home.

Not a great fan of the skeptic.

Back