Welcome To The New Board: Technical Problems & Known Issues

INT21

Antediluvian
A general hint.

If you've been looking at the screen for a while and nothing seems to be happening. Click 'What's new' and sometimes the red marker will appear in the 'Alerts' column.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Apropos of nothing, we seem to have made a modest success of the changeover.

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 22.21.30.png

The only thing 'down' are registrations, because we now manually vet each application and reject spammers in advance. There hasn't been a single spam post since the re-launch (that I've seen). The 'active users' increase is a particular success as with spammers binned we have 'fewer active members'.

henry

still speeding
... so quoted post text has been eliminated from the outgoing notification emails ...
i do miss this feature, and i ll tell you why ... previously on getting a notify a glance at the phone email preview bar (exclusively phone access for a long time by now) would tell me right away whether to visit thread and catch up/pitch in or not bother ... now, i have to preview the email, delete it, open browser and navigate to page via any number of means, only to find its a joker post by some nimrod i couldve lived without ... plus the page visit resets the "new" flag on the thread ready for the next nimrod to come along

sorry, latest word

no wonder the stats are up ...

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
This, on Fri 25 Jan 2019 ....a strange possession strides the marches, with calamitous candour & command

2019-01-27 06.04.22.png
Well.....I was....but.... now you ask....maybe...not?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
This, on Fri 25 Jan 2019 ....a strange possession strides the marches, with calamitous candour & command

View attachment 14444
Well.....I was....but.... now you ask....maybe...not?
We only have that confirmation stage set up for certain users' content.

Better not say whose post you were 'liking'.

Ermintruder

We only have that confirmation stage set up for certain users' content.
Oh...rright
<thinks desperately: search fails>

In that case I agree, it must've been either a weather balloon or some trick of the light.
And I was mistaken to have thought that the stones were aligned the way I'd said.
Plus, there's no way I was wearing that costume, with my allergies I'd've been sneezing my head off.

<slowly takes out mobile phone- 'Marty, they could be on to us! We'd better lay low for a couple of days....hello, Marty, are you there, the line just wen__'>

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Hello everyone, we will rebooting the web server on Sunday February 19th 2019 at 1800 (6pm) GMT / 1300 (1pm) GMT to apply some server updates.
Would that be Sunday February 17 or Tuesday February 19?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
The date in the User Notice has been corrected (?) to conform to what we Staff were told.

Edit to Add: Time zone attributions were corrected as well.

Last edited:

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
This is a new one, why, when i click one of my alerts, does it jump to another post entirely?

Shady

Ummm, just checking and it appears to only be happening on the Weird Sex Thread

EnolaGaia

Staff member
I have a theory, based on seeing similar 'jumping' when following an Alert link to a given thread. It goes like this ...

When you click on the link XenForo takes you to the thread and correctly aligns the page display to show the alerted post in a specific position therein.

However ...

If there are late-arriving chunks of material (e.g., remote-linked images) included within that same page, this initial positioning is thrown off as those new chunks are inserted into the overall page display (including portions of the page originally presented as off-screen on your device).

From the user's vantage, the page appears to jump upward / downward depending on where the delayed chunks are finally inserted on the page.

Shady

Yes, mine jumps up about two or three posts, but it was only on Weird Sex

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Yes, mine jumps up about two or three posts, but it was only on Weird Sex
If it was the latest page in the Weird Sex thread, I'll bet it was OWB's milk bath images that were delayed in arriving and caused a final bump in the display.

INT21

Antediluvian
This happens regularly on another site I visit.

It displays a list of threads, but if you don't wait about two seconds it will take you to the one below the one you want.

If you do wait you will see the page re-arrange itself. Then it will pick up the correct one.

Ermintruder

Three nearly-consecutive instances of (when attempting to 'Like' a post) an "Oops" popup with a forum-genetated security warning telling me to refresh the page/content.

(Chrome browser on a demi-smart Android doorstop, 4G & 7degC outdoors in a light sou'westerly :mattack:.... I may need to crack open the emergency malt whisky)

Shady

I usually have to click a 'like' twice to get it to do it, but not always

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Three nearly-consecutive instances of (when attempting to 'Like' a post) an "Oops" popup with a forum-genetated security warning telling me to refresh the page/content.

(Chrome browser on a demi-smart Android doorstop, 4G & 7degC outdoors in a light sou'westerly :mattack:.... I may need to crack open the emergency malt whisky)
I wonder if the board was offline for a minute or two between your having opened the page and clicked LIKE.