• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Your All-Time Favourite Ghost Photos

Diabolik said:
ok you horrible lot, I have issues from around 55-120 & had a quick look found it after searching through about 10.. how lucky is that! issue 74..
hope it's ok to post this..

irishcottage.jpg

My God, that is strange. Who on earth would put an orange spike through someone's head? :lol:

oh har har ;)

that figure does look artificial, like a painting - something FT commented on. still, i'm totally undecided on this one.

Edward - go on, you know it makes sense! :)

Well done for getting the irish cottage photo, very strange.

I hate to sound ungtreatfull but does anybody have a colour version?

In regards to the "girl in the burning building" photo, I used that shot as a label on one of my CDs back in 2001. Ghost photos make for good CD artwork in general.

There's another bizarro one I used as the back cover of another disc from the strange Fantasmas site based in Mexico (http://www.fantasmas.com.mx). It's a real pain in the ass site, as you'll go to it and get page not found errors constantly, when in fact they are all there...you just have to keep hitting the refresh button until they load.

They do have a number of other pics that I've not seen on all the other sites, however, a few of them flat out strange and semi-disturbing. They have all the faves we've already covered, plus a ton more. And of course now that I'm browsing it, I can't find the one I used on my CD, but here's one that always gave me the willies. I dunno why, really, I guess it's more the quality of the photo (or lack thereof) than anything else:

http://www.fantasmas.com.mx/galerias/f48.html

Edward said:
The perspective of the door seems to be wrong.

It's completely wrong - in fact it's difficult to see how you could get it any more wrong. Look at the bottom left hand panel behind the man's head. For the top of that panel to be at such a steep angle the door would not only have to be hanging off its hinges - there would also have to be a hole in the floor for the right hand bottom edge of the door to be dropping into.

The beams are also wrong - they suggest you are looking into a very high, very long room rather than the rather cramped interior of a traditional Irish house of this type (are they called "black houses"?)

Load of nonsense - unless of course its one of those buildings from a Borges story which abominate the normal laws of perspective and architecture.

Chris Baker said:
Well done for getting the irish cottage photo, very strange.

I hate to sound ungtreatfull but does anybody have a colour version?

? - It wasn't published in colour.

The Irish cottage pic... Hmmm... Looks suspiciously like a trump type painting on a flat wall to me. Maybe in an art museum or gallery or even attraction. The people sitting there in front of it and the painting/photograph being 2 dimensional. Oh the wall surface texture might be 3D but the teenager/woman and interior isn't.
I bet if enough research was done...the case would be closed due to the above assumption being true.
Rather like those coal mine museums and the Yorvic one in York.

Yeah, it looks like the whole thing is posed, anyway. The three people in the front are hunkered down enough to get the "ghost" in there just perfectly. And the photo is framed in such a way that it looks like the whole thing was intentional.

Well they did say it used to be a museum. Maybe it exhibited art & maybe that was one of the paintings?

Spillage has solved another one! :D

Edit:

Yeah, I always wondered why they all chose to be sitting hunched together on the doorstep rather than standing up.

spillage said:
The Irish cottage pic... Hmmm... Looks suspiciously like a trump type painting on a flat wall to me. Maybe in an art museum or gallery or even attraction. The people sitting there in front of it and the painting/photograph being 2 dimensional. Oh the wall surface texture might be 3D but the teenager/woman and interior isn't.
I bet if enough research was done...the case would be closed due to the above assumption being true.
Rather like those coal mine museums and the Yorvic one in York.

Coal mine museums?
Yorvick?
Huh?

Aye. Haven't you seen them? When Thatch closed the coal pits down in the mid 80s the ones which weren't greenbelted were turned into mining museums. There's a few of em about and they have art and models etc representing the ages.
Yorvic is a Viking museum in York which also has figures and working models, even smells and sound!
Get yer heeyerd art en t' TARDIS lad! :p

HOORAY! I finally found that damn pic on the Fantasmas site that I used on my CD. It came back after being missing! Mysterious! Wooo...

Anyway, here is my vote for fave ghost pic. It's not really scary, and it's undoubtedly not a ghost, but it is disturbing to me in a weird way...in full color, and not a painting from what I can tell. ;)

http://www.fantasmas.com.mx/enviadas/e04.html

Looks more like evidence of a bad photographer than a ghost.

Konajinx said:

HOORAY! I finally found that damn pic on the Fantasmas site that I used on my CD. It came back after being missing! Mysterious! Wooo...

Anyway, here is my vote for fave ghost pic. It's not really scary, and it's undoubtedly not a ghost, but it is disturbing to me in a weird way...in full color, and not a painting from what I can tell.

http://www.fantasmas.com.mx/enviadas/e04.html

It's just a photo of someone playing the drums in a garage. In the top half you see the drummer and cymbals, then the picture breaks and in the bottom you can see the cymbal stands, bass drum, two sacks or something and even a vacuum cleaner on the right hand side. Not spooky at all or even mysterious. Sorry but it's not disturbing at all.

Ah, I see it all now. Thanks for the decrypting. Oh well, yes, now it's not disturbing to me, but I still like the photo.

Moving right along then. Here's another one from the same site that I've seen elsewhere. Has this one ever been debunked or explained?:

http://www.fantasmas.com.mx/galerias/f07.html

I'm still waiting for the pix to load (anyone else find that site slower than a tax refund or is it just me?) :?

Yeah the site's a real turd. As I said, you often have to hit refresh a few times or just wait...and wait. Sorry.

spillage said:
Aye. Haven't you seen them? When Thatch closed the coal pits down in the mid 80s the ones which weren't greenbelted were turned into mining museums. There's a few of em about and they have art and models etc representing the ages.
Yorvic is a Viking museum in York which also has figures and working models, even smells and sound!
Get yer heeyerd art en t' TARDIS lad! :p

....er, I know what about these things, but I'm just wondering what they had to do with the discussion at hand!!!! ;)

Ah, I'm with you now, lol...I was suggesting that the pic of the "ghost" in the doorway in Ireland is just an exhibit in a museum of the same ilk.

I've seen that pic of the car interior loads of times and I once tried to analyse it properly. I distorted the reflection to see if I could get the original perspective (As I suspected it is just part of something inside the car being reflected off the side window) but it isn't as simple as that.
If there was an uncropped photograph available, or the pic had a wider shot, then it would be solved but I'm quite confident that it's simply a cushion, blanket or a knee which is covered, reflecting from the interior and onto the window...distorted from the angle.

Howso? It definately looks like a reflection to me, possibly to the child's right therefore hidden from the lense. I wish there was a larger pic showing more detail.

I know exactly what this is. Spillage came closest.
What do these people claim?
That the door was guaranteed shut!

Hahaha, of course it is, and there is this cleaning lady PAINTED on it. If you look closely you can see it without fail.
That's why the "ghost" looks so cartoonish....
Jeez, it must have been a joke photo.

The 'witch' in the "Irish Cottage Ghost" pic looks to me (well, the photo itself looks like some people sitting infront of a painting, but the 'witch' looks to me) like a woman bending down to sweep dirt out of the door - a awoman with a hairband type thing in, like a rag tied around her hair to keep it out of her eyes. Like you'd wear when putting on make-up. from the angle of the painting, and the angle of the figure in the painting, you are seeing the top of her head and her chin.

Is that not just a reflection of some dope with a shirt over their head and hands? Or am I missing something here?
Oh and the other one with the guy playing the drums looks pretty obviously to be from a video film like the part on an old VHS where one part ends and the next bit you taped begins and they cross over for a bit. Not all that amazing.
Oh now that I look more closely there is a second person to the right of the one with the huge shirt. It looks as though the divvy with the shirt is the one holding the camera as it looks like the flash is coming from his right hand.
XxXSebXxX

It's ok, you can all relax, I have solved it!
I used my amazing hacking skills and found a translation for the 'kid in the car' pic.

This photography is very Strange the truth we do not know which was the plot but I believe that he was something very strong and judging by the zone in which was taken he was not nothing good.

Oh Babelfish how accurate are thee.

P.S. Putting a shirt over your head and then creeping up to your kid in the back seat of the car and then taking a pic is not a very nice thing to do.
XxXSebXxX

I asked this years ago, but does anyone recall the colour photo of the poltergeist throwing the black leather sofa at the camera? Must have been in the seventies, I saw it in a book years ago but that's all I remember. Easily as good as the black and white flying pots one.

Back