• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Your All-Time Favourite Ghost Photos

DPL said:
My God, that is strange. Who on earth would put an orange spike through someone's head? :lol:

Clearly a shaft of frozen urine ejected from an aeroplane toilet.

Most unfortunate.

Wasn't the flying sofa from the Enfield polt' case?
These days, with the advent of affordable high grade video technology, has there been loads of cases of poltergeist activity caught on camera?
I haven't heard anything. Have you? :?:

spillage said:
These days, with the advent of affordable high grade video technology, has there been loads of cases of poltergeist activity caught on camera?

You know, there's a good point. Why hasn't someone taken an 'authentic' haunted house with regularly occurring phenomena and filled it up with spycams, hidden mikes and stuff, and monitor it for like a year? You could have it set up just like a store security system and have a few people working in shifts for 24-hour surveillance. You'd surely come up with something more convincing than dust spots...I mean 'orbs'. ;)

Someone has to do this!

The reasons are as such:

most ghost groups don't like modern technology. They can't understand how it works and so don't use it. Unless of course, its cameras, in which case every ghost group is an expert and orbs and other strange pictures are definitely paranormal.

The other reason it would remove the thrill effect from ghost hunts. Why destroy the build-up of excitement by putting equipment in a room rather than fallible human beings?

The other bone of contention being the theory that if ghosts are themselves a form of EM effect, then video cameras and sound recording equipment could inhibit (or indeed influence) the phenomena itself.

The act of observation affecting the act being observed - there's a Nobel Prize in there somewhere ;).

Electro magnetic energy wouldn't effect a motion picture camrea running film stock though. (Unless it effected the motors etc..)
Anyway, couldn't you "trap" them using a strong magnet if this were the case?
No....there has been some claims that ghosts appear on cameras anyway...stills and motion so that can't be the claim.
I'm with Toadfish...er, I mean DPL, (No offence :D) on this one.

Diabolik said:
oh har har ;)

that figure does look artificial, like a painting - something FT commented on. still, i'm totally undecided on this one.

Edward - go on, you know it makes sense! :)

It looks like one of those Soviet era government photos, doctored in a very obvious manner, with paint just daubed as if there was no effort to make it look authentic.
It's a common feature of photos from the old Soviet regime, particularly the Stalin era. As if they were saying "so what if anyone notices it's been touched up - who'd dare say anything?"

Krobone said:
spillage said:

You know, there's a good point. Why hasn't someone taken an 'authentic' haunted house with regularly occurring phenomena and filled it up with spycams, hidden mikes and stuff, and monitor it for like a year? You could have it set up just like a store security system and have a few people working in shifts for 24-hour surveillance. You'd surely come up with something more convincing than dust spots...I mean 'orbs'. ;)

Someone has to do this!

There is the Asylum Cam:
http://www.asylumcam.com/

or the Willard Library Cam:
http://www.libraryghost.com/

... the only unfortunate thing is that Ghost Study
posts so many of the photos taken from them. :roll:

TVgeek

Both of them are a pile of w***k hehehe! :lol:
Why they are of such atrocious quality I will only hazard a guess!

Could you please have a look at this photo and tell me what you think?

http://www.care2.com/c2c/photos/view.ht ... /196591184

It was taken with a very cheap kodak ez200 digital camera. It shows something that might look like a ghost (on your left), and a staircase on your right. On the pic it should have been nothing but the mirror since across the room there was only an empty wall, with absolutely nothing hanging from it, also there was, most definitely, no people at all in the room at the time. I'm sure of this because I was there, and I was the only one! :shock:

Thanks!

It is a strange photograph indeed as what I can gather, it's a capture of the photographer taking the snapshot. However...the flash source seems to be coming from a different location, ie; 2 foot to the South East of the camera! Maybe this is a secondry reflection. The only other thing I can think of is that the camera is set to no flash and the photographer is holding a torch or other light source. Actually, due to the quality of the pic, it does seem to suggest that no flash was used. This would explain the colour and the blurring.
The 'staircase' could simply be streaking on the glass surface itself.
Can you remember if their was a light source other than the camera's? I would imagine there was.
Interesting though, but because the photograph lacks detail, it would be impossible to put one's finger on the determining factors of it.

ew

i am scared to death of ghost pics and i wont even look at em without all the lights on and someone next to me claiming that they're fakes. I saw a picture once of an old woman standing next to someones bed..but the old woman was a ghost and it totally freaked me out. if i had the guts i'd search for and post the pic. also the picture of the dead mother in law in the back of the car EWWW

It is a strange photograph indeed as what I can gather, it's a capture of the photographer taking the snapshot. However...the flash source seems to be coming from a different location, ie; 2 foot to the South East of the camera! Maybe this is a secondry reflection. The only other thing I can think of is that the camera is set to no flash and the photographer is holding a torch or other light source. Actually, due to the quality of the pic, it does seem to suggest that no flash was used. This would explain the colour and the blurring.
The 'staircase' could simply be streaking on the glass surface itself.
Can you remember if their was a light source other than the camera's? I would imagine there was.
Interesting though, but because the photograph lacks detail, it would be impossible to put one's finger on the determining factors of it.

I took that photo myself, about 4 years ago. I'll give you more details ...

Location: Edinburgh's vault (the one with the pagan temple at Niddry Street).
Camera specs can be found here: http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/search_ ... id=337802/

The mirror: Hanged at aprox. 1.50 m above ground. This mirror has a darkening coating of some sort on the glass, so although you can see reflections you see them much darker than in real life. For this reason, the glass just can't reflect white as such (notice the image on the right, it just seems far to white for me to come up on the mirror, and in any case there was nothing white in the room). No streaking on the glass surface at all. It was in perfect condition.
Technique: basically the camera was situated at the source of light you see on the pic. I knelt down to capture the mirror without my reflection on it and extended my arm to take the pic. It was not difficult to put myself out of the picture since I'm only 1.60m.
Light: the camera has a sort of minor in-built flash. Not powerful at all since the gadget was not design for night shots. The other source of light in the room was above the door quite a few meters away, and it was just a dim light. Its reflection could not possibly appear on the mirror or have influenced the snapshot, specially not at that height.
I was not carrying torches or candles, and it was just myself on the vault at that time ...

I'd have to say that the Newby one is my favourite, even if it's a fake. Sends a shiver down thine spine.... bloody grotesque thing that it is.

There is a photo in my "Best of Fortean Times"
looking down an elevator shaft where a young girl fell to her death.

In the middle of the photo is the misty form of a child
who seems to be stretched out across the middle of the shaft.

Any online links? I guess I could scan it if need be...
A very chilling photo!

TVgeek

TVgeek, I'd love to see it!

This photo really freaked me out the first time I saw it:

boothill1.jpg

boothill2.jpg

Boothill Graveyard was opened in Tombstone Arizona in 1879. Most of it's occupants suffered violent or un-expected deaths with their boots on, this is the reason why the early pioneers named it Boothill. Some people believe that ghosts are spirits of people that died unexpectedly, violently, and/or at the hands of others, gunfights, hangings, etc. Whether this is your belief or not, PLEASE LET ME WARN YOU...the following photos are not only strange and unexplainable even to paranormal experts, they can be down right scary!!

SCARY BOOTHILL PHOTO!

This is the photo that changed my opinion about ghost photo's!!

I personally shot this photograph of my friend in Boothill Graveyard... We had it developed at Thrifty Drug Store and I know no one tampered with it!

The picture was shot in black & white, because my friend wanted old west looking pictures of himself dressed up in my 1880 period clothes.

All I can say is... "I know their was no other person in this photograph when I shot it, especially some guy holding a knife! Thats right folks, if you look carefully the person in the background appears to be holding a knife!"

Look just to the right of my friend and you'll see a person which appears to have no legs or is coming out of a grave! Some people think it looks like a little boy, some say an old man, or even an old lady, what do you think?

Interesting facts:.. Boothill Graveyard appears to be really over grown in this photo. Two weeks after this photo was shot we re-staged the photo by lining up two people in both positions. When we did this... you could clearly see the legs of the person standing in the back. The bushes in Boothill are not so thick that you can't see through them. And once again, this IS NOTa staged photo, or designed by the computer, the figure in the background also appears on the negative.

I don't know about you... but the blown up image of this unexplained figure holding the knife gives most people the chills!!

If you're not convinced that something is weird here, look at my friends shadow in the photo above, it appears to be going back slightly to the right of him. The figure in the back should have the same shadow, but it doesn't!

Can you see the knife? We thought this was a tie at first, but after further review, it appears to be a knife! The knife is in a vertical position, the tip is located just below the figures right collar, can you see it?

Here's the source although it has an annoying Tubular Bells midi playing on it. Also on that page are the opinions of a few soi-disant psychics giving their impressions of the figure. One says he's just looking for his horse, another says he's a black-hearted rogue, and a third says he's benign and just wanted to be in the photo. :)

It annoys me, btw, that the site I referenced seems to be run by the guy who took the photo, and yet I also found the photo at ghoststudy.com with their watermark on it, and if you want to see them without the ghoststudy.com logo you can pay a membership fee. :? How can they charge to see something which the OWNER has made available elsewhere? If I were Ike I might be getting a lawyer on their ass. Just sayin'.

I remembered this one this morning. Brrrr

ghost1.jpg

Faces in the window
This picture was taken by the husband of the woman in the picture on a sunny afternoon with ordinary print film. They had just moved into their new home in Chicago, Illinois. In the window to the left of them clearly shows a older woman with her hair put up in a bun and a bulldog next to her. There was no one in the house at the time of the picture taking.
Source

The bulldog simulacra looks good but the old lady looks like a charicature.
I'd love to see the other photograph of the two figures done to recreate the scene. That would help lots. But I think the figure is either someone stooping in the grass or there's a drop there and he's sneaking up to make the shot look like a classic Western, (I mean, someone posing with them for the shot, a friend or something...) or it's a cut out from a display they put there for the very same reason. There's nothing unusual at all about the lighting. The shadows are exactly as they are in the surroundings. The knife business only goes to strengthen my theory as it only becomes apparent that it is a knife when it's pointed*no pun intended!* out to the observer, therefore...the writer feels the need to point it out as it would have been a waste of time having the knife in the first time, thus ruining the effect. To be honest, I'd have wited until someone else suggested it. It looked like a tie to me until they did. It's just a bloke/teenager who needs to visit the bun shop, dressed up in the apt attire. Looks like the bloke posing is gun ready for a showdown and knows the bloke in the background is there to sneak up.
My opinion? Staged, but it came out looking odd so they did what that bloke with the bulbous headed young lass with the flowers in Cumbria did.*Cumbrian Spaceman* :lol:

The old lady in the window is just a reflection of a tree in the yard. At least, that's how I've always seen it. Maybe I'm wrong, but my eyes have always made out the "blackness" as the leaves of the tree, and then you can see the trunk separating the old lady and the thingy on the right, with extra branches and leaves swinging down and up to make her "face". That's the most logical thing I can come up with. I think perhaps people aren't taking into account that that window in the door is indeed making a complete reflection, and are assuming the top, dark half of the window is looking into the room behind.

As far as the boothill photo goes, I've never been impressed with that one. The guy in the front reminds me too much of horrible actor Emilio Estevez, and the supposed ghost in the back looks too real, no matter if it's a person or a cutout. It certainly has that cutout quality, much like the Three Men and a Baby "ghost". Ditto Spillage's thoughts on the knife. I've seen this pic many times, but never bothered to read the long story that goes with it, but I always assumed that knife was just part of the guy's shirt or a tie or whatever.

...hehe I keep editing this one. Another thing that bothers me about the boothill photo is that it's framed to leave enough room for that "ghost" to be there in the background. It's not like the shot was taken with a bit of space to include the tombstones on the right and that was that. Yeah, it's definitely a staged photo.

Just a quick and unrelated post to tell everyone that "Paranormal?" an excellent documentary program showing then debunking paranormal cases is on all day until 20:00 on the National Geographic channel today on SKY.(UK Regions only, I think.) Get it watched/recorded if you can. It's a must for all believers and sceptics alike!
Cheers.

Good post Konajinx! ;)

there are white bits all over that last photo, indicating that it's a double exposure, maybe. I can't remember if double exposures show clearer on the dark or light bits of the image, but if it's the dark bits then the face in the door could be a simulacrum from the other, upside-down picture.

konajinx said:
Another thing that bothers me about the boothill photo is that it's framed to leave enough room for that "ghost" to be there in the background.

Spot on! I don't know how many "ghost" photos I've seen where the composition consciously includes the phenomenon. A 'dead' giveaway *chortle*.

[quote="TVgeek
There is the Asylum Cam:
TVgeek[/quote]

I logged onto this site expecting some old scary asylum with broken windows and paint peeling off of the walls but instead I get what looks like someone's house. Checked out the "highlights" of what has been caught on the cams and although a majority have been highlighted I still cannot see anything out of the ordinary. I know I'll get spanked if I slag off another site so I'll be polite but I feel that there is a strong vein that people want to believe sooooooooooo much that they pretty much see what they want to see...

[quote="Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
I logged onto this site expecting some old scary asylum with broken windows and paint peeling off of the walls but instead I get what looks like someone's house.[/quote]

LOL -- you're looking for the Asylum from "Session 9": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0261983/

I brought up the Asylum Cam because a few months ago
someone caught a child going up the steps when the place
was closed. The usual crowd dismissed it -- but if conditions
were truly as listed (closed for the day, no families about) then
where DID the young child come from?

FWIW
TVgeek

If I remember correctly and I did point it out on here and to ghoststudy...the numbers on the photographs didn't add up. The child was going DOWN the stairs rather than UP.
There's a lot of rubbish concerning those sites.

The usual crowd dismissed it

I personally don't believe in ghosts or an afterlife so I take all so called pictures of ghosts with a big old pinch of salt. What astounds me is that people will say "Ooooh look, there, to the left of the picture, about halfway down, you can clearly see a small blond boy with a blue cap on, he looks so sad, maybe he is looking for his mum" where all I can see is a bit of glare on a TV

Just the interior/exterior shots of the van that's selling on ebay as haunted, possibly to attract more interest, as with hotels and Innes/pubs etc...
You're not supposed to see anything ghostly unless you're American and want to! hehehe!

Back