• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Knock At The Door

Mikefule

Justified & Ancient
This morning I was woken by a loud knock on the door: a firm and distinctive syncopated pattern of 3 raps. I'm a musician and dancer and I have a good sense of rhythm and I could reproduce that rhythm now.

I immediately thought I must have slept in. We are waiting for a couple of Amazon deliveries so I rushed downstairs barely dressed, unlocked the door and opened it. There was no one there and no parcel on the doorstep I checked the other door and there was no one, and no parcel. I then checked the time on the clock on the cooker: roughly 01:30: far too early for a delivery. I looked out of the window in case there was a police car on the road or a burglar lurking by the garage door, then I went back to bed.

Late morning today, suddenly the same loud knock at the door. I'd swear it was the same pattern. This time, it was the Amazon delivery man. He remarked grumpily to my wife that the address shown on the parcel was wrong and he'd struggled to find us. (A common spelling mistake of the house name, one letter different near the end of the word.)

I know certain patterns of knock are common — traditional, even — but I would almost be prepared to swear that it was exactly the same knock by the same person, but an Amazon delivery driver wouldn't be knocking at 1:30 in the morning, would he?

My wife remembers me getting up, going downstairs and opening the door, but says she did not hear the knock.

My wife remembers me getting up, going downstairs and opening the door, but says she did not hear the knock.
I reckon you dreamed it. People can hear all sorts of mad sounds when they're asleep or dropping off.

The 'exploding head' is one of them, which I have had now and then.

The Amazon man got me up before 8am one day last week but they'd get the sack, after hearing harsh words from me, if they rolled up at 1:30!

@Mikefule - not saying you're daft, but our brains can fool us, especially when we're not concentrating.

I've recently jumped up to answer t'door to a delivery when there's been nobody there. In my case it was one of the cats scratching itself while sitting on a cardboard box! sounded exactly like a commanding knock knock knock.

A seemingly urgent sound associated with alerting / warning is a common form of hypnagogic* audio hallucination. Hearing one's name being called, a strident knocking at the door, and a phone ringing are typical examples.

* Hypnagogic = during the sliding-off transition from wakefulness into sleep.

I used to hear someone knocking at the door usually as I was in that half-sleeping/half-awake state (my normal state most of the time these days). Sometimes it would be a doorbell and I'd be half-way to the door before I realised "I don't have a bloody doorbell!" Now that I've had a doorbell for the past four years it's never happened again.

Well if you're want to add to the mystery..I reported the exact same story on here less than 2 years ago......

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-vardoger-with-the-phantom-knockers.63540/

"Well this morning, about 7:40 am I was awoken by a "did someone just knock on the front door?" sound. Fearing it might be some kind of early morning parcel delivery and he'd go before I could get dressed and dash downstairs I ran straight into the next - the front - room to look out of hte window..where I could see there was no one outside. Gate closed, no person, bike, or vehicle around.

I went back to bed, now awake and thinking about the whole phantom knock business and my mum and...within minutes "knock knock" at the front door. I dashed down and it was a postman with a delivery. It can't have been him a few minutes earlier as he had a red van with him.

The "imaginary" knock seems to have woken me in preparation to answer the real one."

A dream? recently I dreamed that I was at a concert I remembered the specific piece that was playing when I got to my office the following morning turned on my radio it was set to last station listened to and it was playing the piece from my dream!

Well if you're want to add to the mystery..I reported the exact same story on here less than 2 years ago......

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-vardoger-with-the-phantom-knockers.63540/

"Well this morning, about 7:40 am I was awoken by a "did someone just knock on the front door?" sound. Fearing it might be some kind of early morning parcel delivery and he'd go before I could get dressed and dash downstairs I ran straight into the next - the front - room to look out of hte window..where I could see there was no one outside. Gate closed, no person, bike, or vehicle around.

I went back to bed, now awake and thinking about the whole phantom knock business and my mum and...within minutes "knock knock" at the front door. I dashed down and it was a postman with a delivery. It can't have been him a few minutes earlier as he had a red van with him.

The "imaginary" knock seems to have woken me in preparation to answer the real one."
Funny thing that! Just lately, have been woken up on some morning's by what I thought I'd heard - of a sudden and quite loud 'knock.'
Only, after I'd come to my senses (after a sort of deep-dream kind of state of mind) I realised that it must be the sudden rush from the dreamy sleep state to the awakening to the conscious state, where upon you lay in bed for a short amount of time and ponder ones mind on "was that really a knock I just heard, or just my state of mind changing gear?"

I am (still) frequently woken from sleep by one of my children shouting 'Mum!'

None of my children are children, none live within 20 miles of me, and none are in the kind of bother that would have them shouting 'mum' in the early hours.

It's my brain, waking up and creating its own reason for being awake. After twenty years of child rearing, a young child's voice shouting 'mum!' would have me out of bed and grabbing the sick bucket before my body was even aware it was awake.

After twenty years of child rearing, a young child's voice shouting 'mum!' would have me out of bed and grabbing the sick bucket before my body was even aware it was awake.

Shouting? I wish! The last time my middle one had me out of bed for a bad stomach (a long time ago now, it just hurt rather than him actually being sick), the husband was on night shift and I was awoken by something scratching at my bedroom door. I wasn't sure whether I'd actually heard it, so I sat up and looked at the bottom of the door to see whether I could spot feet, and none were obvious. Then the scratching came again... Scared the bejesus out of me!

Shouting? I wish! The last time my middle one had me out of bed for a bad stomach (a long time ago now, it just hurt rather than him actually being sick), the husband was on night shift and I was awoken by something scratching at my bedroom door. I wasn't sure whether I'd actually heard it, so I sat up and looked at the bottom of the door to see whether I could spot feet, and none were obvious. Then the scratching came again... Scared the bejesus out of me!
House Cat maybe?

We also have threads on hearing one's name called.

I used to hear someone knocking at the door usually as I was in that half-sleeping/half-awake state (my normal state most of the time these days). Sometimes it would be a doorbell and I'd be half-way to the door before I realised "I don't have a bloody doorbell!" Now that I've had a doorbell for the past four years it's never happened again.
I thinks it`s odd that our dog barks and runs to the door if she hears a door bell on the telly, because we`ve never had a door bell. I don`t know how she learned to do it. :)

Nope, it was the afflicted child attempting to wake me up. Why he didn't just bang on the door and burst in, `I'll never know.
I'm sure he'll improve with age...
Wailing Boy.jpg

Back