• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. I

Morphic Resonance

I remain a materialist who thinks there is a lot we don't yet know about 'materiel'...open minded scepticism. :)
  2. I

IP Address Banned?

I get this when I try to log in from my office. I sometimes like to have a browse over a lunch time sandwich but lately I get the blocked IP address problem. I work for a big scientific publisher so the conspiracist in me assumes this is so I won't be allowed to debunk some of the more 'woo'...
  3. I

Artificial Intelligence (A.I.)

https://www.businessinsider.com/ai-make-money-china-grieving-raise-dead-griefbot-2023-5?r=US&IR=T Probably one of the more bizarre AI uses I've seen - Griefbots
  4. I

The Phenomenon: New From James Fox

I watched this on Amazon Prime last night. It's well produced and definitely worth watching. I was left feeling that there is definitely a phenomenon, however exactly what it is is uncertain. The craft or objects described seem to exhibit capabilities that might be expected in some form of...
  5. I

Chanctonbury Ring / Clapham Woods

I love Robert MacFarlane's work. There's a bit of hauntological electronica about Chactonbury Ring here from Ghost Box Records https://ghostbox.co.uk/news/chanctonburyrings-comingsoon/
  6. I

Time, Temporality & Perceptions Thereof: What Are They?

TinFinger, I'd recommend Sean Carrol's From Eternity to Here http://www.amazon.com/Eternity-Here-Quest-Ultimate-Theory/dp/0452296544/lecturenotesonge as a very thorough but easy introduction to this whole topic. :)
  7. I

Unexplained Creature Captured On Camera

Couldn't resist having a go at this to see if more detail can be picked out. I used Jasc Paint shop pro to reduce the sun glare and enhance the contrast and colour balance to bring out the creature (or object). It does work quite nicely and shows up that the 'skin' of the creature to be quite...
  8. I

Irkutsk 'Alien' found

Indeed, does look very similar to the 'alien autopsy' hoax bodies. I note that the right knee of the creature shows what looks like the exposed top of a tibia that looks quite mammalian. It is quite difficult to create a feasible articulating joint that isn't like our own. I think you are...
  9. I

Dark Matter

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2010/11/01/is-dark-matter-supernatural/ ...actually the title is misleading but I have to say this is one of the most thought -provoking pieces I've read on the subject of science and the supernatural...
  10. I

Mystery 'Missile' Launch in the Pacific (California; 2010)

http://www.mysteryportals.com/Underwater_UFO_Base_in_S__California.html Case closed ... :D I remember seeing a documentary about this when I lived in the US - 'UFO Hunters' or something with lots of apocryphal tales of objects emerging from the ocean off Catalina Island..So..this was...
  11. I

Science discovers 'proof' of precognition?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-social-thinker/201010/have-scientists-finally-discovered-evidence-psychic-phenomena I shall be religiously memorizing the lottery results after they are published (at least until the debunking...) :D Original paper appear to be in print.
  12. I

Large Hadron Collider (LHC)

Surely the most bizarre LHC story yet.... http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/science/space/13lhc.html?8dpc So if the jinx were 'proved' would the headline say "LHC reveals existence of Cosmic Joker"??? :shock:
  13. I

Vivid 'precognitive' dream last night

Quite possibly... I don't sleep with the radio on. The unusual thing is that my wife remarked that I never talk about having dreams and yet on this occasion woke up and told her all about this one. She is well-spooked by this. If there is anything at all in the precognitive dream theory, I...
  14. I

Vivid 'precognitive' dream last night

Well something finally 'happened to me', however sadly with a tragic twist. I got home late last night having been on a long teleconference at work. As a background to the story, I have recently moved back to the UK having spent four years living and working in New Jersey. I got in at about...
  15. I

How do I become a Ufologist?

There are of course the TV Ufologists. How did those 'lone gunmen' in 'UFO Hunters' get the job? I just caught them on the History Channel tonight after watching 'Monster Quest' (which is actually not bad). I do suspect it is a trailer park lifestyle unless you get the attention of the media...
  16. I

Supermarket Blues

:oops: :oops: and thrice :oops: ! It was late evening here and so the hour in the UK when servers are given to back ups (or maybe I'm just impatient..)
  17. I

Supermarket Blues

Ooops - Internet latency caught me there - the second one is a better edit...
  18. I

Supermarket Blues

Thanks Escargot! I'd love to see those. Actually we may be moving back to Nantwich soon (at least temporarily). The only other part of the world where I know the supermarkets is Auckland, New Zealand. Nothing strange there but maybe I should seek one that was built on a Maori sacred...
  19. I

Supermarket Blues

Thanks Escargot! I'd love to see those. Actually we may be moving back to Nantwich soon (at least temporarily). The only other part of the world where I know the supermarkets is Auckland, New Zealand. Nothing strange there but maybe I should seek one that was built on a Maori sacred...
  20. I

Supermarket Blues

21. I

Supermarket Blues

I love this thread - obscure and recherche with bizarre overtones and also about real peoples experiences. Definitely has the potential for someone to do an article in the magazine. I happen to have lived near and experienced some of the places discussed. The first post about the...
  22. I

'Epigenetics' Ooh! La! La! Lamarck?

If an organsim can evolve a capacity for responding to environmental change via a mechanism that you might call 'Lamarckian'. And that response is beneficial to the survival of the organism (and the genes that determine it, however they are carried from generation to generation) then neither...
  23. I

Theories Of Everything

:lol: I hadn't thought of the Kabalah similarity...so if the scientific mainstream won't use the LHC to examine this, then maybe a few well endowed celebs with a mystical bent could fund it?? I can see the tabloid headlines now - 'Neighbours in uproar as Material Girl builds super accelerator in...
  24. I

Theories Of Everything

Wow - this one resulted in an extended lunchbreak... :shock: I downloaded the prepub and gave it a go. I'm a humble geneticist but even I could see he is using some relatively (by the standards if the area) straightforward mathematics to describe the fundamental particles and the 4 forces...
  25. I

Genes Will Reveal All

There's quite a good popular science piece on this topic - 'Mapping Human History' by Steve Olson, which I personally enjoyed. The issue is, as correctly pointed out in previous posts, that humans dwindled to a very small gene pool in very recent times, so the real genetic diversity of humans is...
  26. I

The Gold Leaf Lady..

...and other parapsychological investigations I picked up the review of this on one of my favourite blogs, 3 Quarks Daily Looks like a must for a dedicated Fortean - there is a review at http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/071527.html Anyone read it?
  27. I

Strange Paw-print

I am reminded of the Sci Fi classic 'Forbidden Planet'... Your psyche, frustrated by fate in the card game, generated a monster from the ID that attempted to take matters intto it's own hands thwarted only by the double glazing... ...blame the giant power plants left by the Old Ones under...
  28. I

Latest Reports Of UFO Sightings

Sorry to sound cynical here, but isn't the conclusion of this debate that, ironically, even as the means to record a paranormal event now sits in the pockets of a fair proportion of humanity, the same leaps of technology have in effect made video evidence effectively inadmissable - because the...
  29. I

Crewe

I lived on London Road, Nantwich for 10 years and remember visiting the aforesaid Crewe supermarket one evening. I think it was still Safeway then, but I can attest that it was the most dour experience - reading this post it still stood out in my mind - a real air of gloom and depression. Having...
  30. I

The Importance Of Maths

Yes - very scary. The only consolation is that here in the land of the brave and the home of the free you would probably be AWARDED a degree for the latter test!
  31. I

The Enfield Poltergeist

I didn't see the documentary (living in the US these days - it might make it over), however the more I hear, the more it sounds like it started with some 'genuine' phenomena, but then degenerated into sensationalism fed by a young girls' need for attention. Is there a systematicereview of...
  32. I

Unexplained Magazine Ghost voices Flexi-disc

Fascinating (...and sampled on The Smiths 'Rubber Ring' - 'You are sleeping, you do not want to believe..') :)
  33. I

Small time slips

How to stop time... I think this may have been referenced in another post somewhere - it actually seems to work (for me...to an extent) and illustrates the potentially subjective nature of time... http://www.grasshopper.com/mind-games/how-to-stop-time
  34. I

The Loch Ness Monster

LNM eel tooth story etc. So what's the consensus on this then? (Apologies if it has already been covered in another thread). The eel theory always struck as one of the more plausible possibilities.... The photo looks interesting but the story around the confiscation sounds fishy (pun...
  35. I

A Living Ghost?

It actually sounds quite reasonable in that many reported poltergeist phenomena relate to young people in disturbed circumstances (mostly females). The actual evidence for this in terms of well-documented cases photgraphs et.c is far more convincing than the traditional notion of a 'ghost'...
  36. I

The human battery: Fuel cell runs on blood

Depends on your tyoe of diabetes... either way expect the Pentagon to be interested. Weapons that run on Snickers...
  37. I

A trance and tuned in?

Sounds like more anecdotal evidence that consciousness is actually ahead of 'reality'. I think I posted something a while back about Dean radin's experiments at the University of Arizona that showed that subjects presented with a random slide show comprising of neutral and shocking images...
  38. I

West USA disaster premonitions

It'll be that volcanic caldera going off under Yellowstone then...still it'll put an end to global warming.
  39. I

Gay Animals

The existence of homosexuality as a biological fact (i.e. not just in 'cultural' humans) is pretty well accepted by the current research. At the genetic level it is a actually a good argument for neo-Darwinism. The reason being that it derives from the genes that make individuals attracted to...
  40. I

A Bizarre & Nasty Haunting

Fascinating thread PaZZa. When I read IHTMs you get a sense of those that 'ring true' and yours certainly does. Whatever causes poltergeist ability it appears that people have the power to call it consciously or unconsciously into existence. Certain elements of your story recollect the...
  41. I

Jesus' Brother's Bones? (The "James" Ossuary)

So not the final resting place of the brother of the Jewish activist that stole Yuletide then?
  42. I

The Teaching Of Creationism

I was amused the other day by the current edition of National Geographic. Standing in line to go through security at Heathrow I noticed the cover proclaiming 'Was Darwin Wrong?'. I bought the magazine and turned to the page and it read 'No - the evidence for evolution is overwhelming'. I can...
  43. I

Ghosts of Greys....

"What's that you say Sam...... probe where?"
  44. I

Most Haunted: Bumper Compendium Thread

I have just moved to New Jersey from Cheshire and whilst I too found MH ubearable by the end (although a good laugh sometimes), I can't help feeling it would do well in the US. A bunch of camp Brits wandering around ancient Spooky places. It's a sure winner!
  45. I

IHTM: A Plea For Your Help

David For my part, I will notify anything of interest to the aforesaid address. Working in publishing myself - I undesratnd the issue. If I see anything in the other forums worthy of IHTM I'll post it across. Ideasman Formarly of Cheshire, UK now of NJ, USA.
  46. I

North West Weirdness

I have often wondered about the viability of a FortMeet North type of event given the number of members of this board in the North and the general wierdness level in those parts. There seems to be a particular type of urban/post industrial wierdness peculiar to those parts - the Dog Headed Men...
  47. I

Neo-Darwinism

On the subject of the SciAm article and the 'neo-Lamrckian' epegenetics idea. The formerly 'redundant' RNA coded by this does seem to play a highly interactive role in gene regulation/modification in response to the environment. How this actually works is a subject of intense research. A...
  48. I

comments on paradigm shifts and changes in weltenschauung

Euler's e^(pi*i)-1 = 0 Why?
  49. I

Evidence for ghosts existance

Some interesting points on that last link. One thing that puzzles me is that given the great proliferation of video, cameras etc. There are a dearth of convincing sightings recorded. Yes - there are some poltergeist activity recorded and the heavily disputed orbs but little else. On the...
  50. I

Derek Acorah

"am geddin' somethin...am geddin somethin...!!!" No ... but an entertainer non the less. Also I note that UKTV stole my idea (posted in 'MH Poo or Boo') of 'celebrity MH'. They got it wrong though - I meant dead celebrities not simply ones whose career was a bit dead - hence we got Vic...
Back