• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted: Bumper Compendium Thread

I thought that I had read it on the forums here, but it could have been over on the Digital Spy forums as there was quite an extensive discussion of MH over there.

I will investigate to see if I can find where I read it. I'm sure I didn't dream it, but anything is possible...:)

It wasn't the Station Hotel, but I have found the link over on Digital Spy

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=2313688#post2313688

Check out the posts from 48Crash.

A brief snippet

As for the accuracy - Acorahcy - of The Great Deggsy, I would point out that when MH filmed our local pub, he managed to channel the entire story of the ghost, a story that the landlord and two regulars made up in an attempt to get a bit of local press coverage. Since I was one of the ones who helped write the legend, I can only assume that I have been unwittingly 'probed' by Sam and/or Derek. Should I sue? Have my personal rights been violated?

Regards

MF

TELEVISION SPOOK SQUAD FOCUSES ON 17TH-CENTURY PUB'S GHOSTS

http://www.westgaz.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?command=newPage&nodeId=164260&contentPK=10778172

TELEVISION SPOOK SQUAD FOCUSES ON 17TH-CENTURY PUB'S GHOSTS
15:00 - 18 August 2004

Creepy goings on at a 17th-Century pub are under the TV spotlight after a visit by a team of top ghosthunters. It is thought that up to 18 ghosts have made The Choughs in High Street, Chard, their local since it was built in 1644.

To prove that the spooks exist, former Blue Peter presenter Yvette Fielding and spirit medium Derek Acorah of Sky's Living TV show Most Haunted, spent the night with their investigative team to capture film footage of paranormal activity and experience the building's atmosphere for themselves.

Landlords Jason and Marie Baker, both aged 31, bought the pub two years ago to set up home with their daughters, Shannon, seven, and Carlie, four.

But they claim that they soon realised they were not alone.

Mrs Baker said: "It is a very old, traditional pub with historic features, like the priest's hole in the fireplace where people used to hide or stash away stuff that had been smuggled.

"We soon found out that the place was full of ghosts, men, women and children. They move things around and love hiding our keys, which is annoying, and we are always hearing footsteps in the corridor."

Research showed the building, which was a brothel before being transformed into a school and then a coaching inn, that a man had hanged himself in the attic and someone had been stabbed in the room now occupied by Marie's parents.

The couple say that one frequent trick played on them by their unwelcome guests are phone calls when they are trying to sleep - sometimes up to five a night.

Mrs Baker said: "They wake us up all through the night, but when my husband called BT to trace the number, it said it did not have one. It was a mystery."

Most Haunted will be the second time the pub has been investigated. Ghost investigators stayed overnight last year and reported many bizarre occurrences, including meeting the spirit of 15-year-old Elizabeth, who had poisoned herself in 1844 after her mother, the madam of the brothel, tried to force her to become a prostitute.

They also picked up the presence of a girl, aged about six, who, claim the Bakers, regularly plays with Carlie.

Although Marie has never seen anything herself, she said her husband and her father have both seen the same long-haired female figure wearing a long black skirt.

Everybody who can access the channel can make up their own mind when the programme is aired in September.

Until then, Mr and Mrs Baxter hope that a £200,000 renovation on the listed building will not disturb the ghosts.

Work on the Punch Taverns-owned pub, which it is hoped will be finished by the end of September, has been funded by the Bakers and includes a new function room, skittle alley and a bigger bar.

Mrs Baker said: "I do not really know what our customers like about the place, but we will not be changing much. It is going to stay an old traditional pub, ghosts and all."

Spirit medium Derek Accorah was heard to remark "Where's me legs?"

Most Haunted series 5

Have they shown the edition filmed at the Ancient Ram Inn yet? My web access stats are shooting up because of people wanting info about the place and the strange staircase vortex photo taken in 1999 by a friend of mine, Julie Hunt.

Not yet, a couple of Irish castles and now a trip to Holland.

Great. The spirit of poor Anne Frank with a scouse accent.
*shudder*

What Irish Castles? What channel is this on?

In Ireland the channel TV3 shows 'Most Haunted', the last of the current series finished last night. I dunno what number the series is but it was the programme about a castle in Cornwall which has a ghost of a young girl who seems to have danced off the battlements and plague pits in the garden.

Scarlett said:
.... the programme about a castle in Cornwall which has a ghost of a young girl who seems to have danced off the battlements ...

Ah, I remember this one. It's where Derek 'picks up on' her spirit and declares her to be.... "FOURTEEN OF YEARS!" A classic.

The new series, meanwhile, I'm undecided about. I'm not a big fan of the table-tipping, anyway, particularly as the camera never films the feet of the people around the table...

Scarlett said:
What Irish Castles? What channel is this on?
One was Castle Leslie (or Lesley, or similar), can't remember the other. It's on Living TV, Tuesday and Sunday nights.

Originally posted by Little My Ah, I remember this one. It's where Derek 'picks up on' her spirit and declares her to be.... "FOURTEEN OF YEARS!" A classic.

If Deggsy insists on pretending to be possessed, he could at least get the speech mode correct. This wasn't a cornish ghost ... Deggsy had picked up the spirit of Yoda!

"Hmmmmm. Sam, of you I thank. My legs, where is my? Hmmmm?"

I'm off to the Ram Inn tonight - I'll keep you posted and we can compare experiences with Derek's! ;)

Hoooo, I'm jealous, who's with me for a pint at the Old Hall in Sandbach? :cool:

Re: Ram Inn

Hello, Im back!
Yes, John does indeed set a minimum charge at the Ram now, as we discovered when we "donated" a tenner each and he got quite annoyed- he now requires £20.00 per person minimum.
The night was sadly uneventful; I remain to be convinced that the "hauntings" are anything but good publicity to raise funds for a building that is falling down around his ears. Did previous owners ever report anything odd? Locals seemed to think not.

Never mind, Derek Acorah will reveal all shortly, I'm sure! ;)

Stormkhan said:
If Deggsy insists on pretending to be possessed, he could at least get the speech mode correct. This wasn't a cornish ghost ... Deggsy had picked up the spirit of Yoda!

"Hmmmmm. Sam, of you I thank. My legs, where is my? Hmmmm?"

He might not do the accents (apart from an old twinge of German), but at least he puts some emotion into the voices, unlike that twit they get on "I'm Famous and Frightened". He was on there last night and they held a seasnce during which two people spoke through him, and they were the most bored sounding spirits I've ever heard.

The Old Hall just up t'road from here! :eek:

I'm originally from Cheshire myself and must visit Sandbach again on my next return visit. Splendid Anglo-Saxon town crosses, as I recall! Bit quiet at the Old Hall wasn't it?

Has anyone else noticed the reoccuring themes in Dereks pronouncements? A while ago his stories were all child abuse and the "dark arts" being practiced; these days he's into making declarations about secrets being bricked up behind walls, twice in this series alone. I suspect Gabby Roslin went to bed early to avoid getting the giggles on camera; she looked close when Derek did his "ooh I've been hung" in the bedroom.

Also, they seem to have dropped the "Derek Acorah, our psychic medium, does not know the identity of the location" line at the beginning of the show... Ye Gods, it sounds like I'm getting cynical in my old age, but I'm not honest!

Now about those books in Felix's room.......

Originally posted by paulsamfreya

Also, they seem to have dropped the "Derek Acorah, our psychic medium, does not know the identity of the location" line at the beginning of the show... Ye Gods, it sounds like I'm getting cynical in my old age, but I'm not honest!

over the summer, my better half and I stayed in York and did the usual ghost tours etc., etc.. and one the guides afterwards claimed to be a researcher for Deggsy "watch for the tingling in yer hair" Acorah. A psychic, needing a local area researcher? Surely not? ;)

Has there ever been an episode of MH when absolutely nothing has happened, possibly even with Del Boy saying "Sorry I'm not picking anything up, even Sam's buggered off"

Probably not, but just curious. :D

Quote:
over the summer, my better half and I stayed in York and did the usual ghost tours etc., etc.. and one the guides afterwards claimed to be a researcher for Deggsy "watch for the tingling in yer hair" Acorah. A psychic, needing a local area researcher? Surely not?

If you look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio and do a bit of digging, you'll find that one of the Radio 1 presenters is off to York with Most Haunted this evening.

Putting it simply, I have found that I can no longer watch the show. I find myself getting aggressive and shouting at the TV... The program is far to stressful to watch. :D

I have just moved to New Jersey from Cheshire and whilst I too found MH ubearable by the end (although a good laugh sometimes), I can't help feeling it would do well in the US. A bunch of camp Brits wandering around ancient Spooky places. It's a sure winner!

Well, as you mentioned radio 1... and presumably heard Robbie Williams and Scott Mills going on about mh this week.... my friend's daughter Laura, Scott and two more of the production team are to take up Yvette's challenge to spend a given length of time each, ON THEIR OWN, in the 'haunted' cellar of an old house next thursday evening. The results will be on r1 the following week and tv at a later date. Should be a laugh....and no! I ain't going to say where at the moment
Posted this at the end of the mh4 thread, dpl, and they should be arriving about now, after throwing out the punters. As everyone will have seen the crew by now, the pub is where the old Galt toy shop used to be, behind the Bath Inn and supposed to be well haunted, but isn't everywhere in York? ;)

DPL said:
If you look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio and do a bit of digging, you'll find that one of the Radio 1 presenters is off to York with Most Haunted this evening.

We were curious as to whether the research had been for a past event or a future one. Cheers for the info.

The problem with somewhere like York though, is that the backgrounds of so many of the ghost stories are pretty well known. Anyone with more than a cursory interest in the subject would know these anyway.

I was a student at York Uni, and in one of the recent Alumni magazines, some former students who now ran a ghost walk admitted to making a lot of the stories up!

Word is I'm a Celebrity and I'm Frightened! is being touted to the Americans at all the media fairs. Ten American "celebrities" get to overact in a UK haunted house.

DPL said:
I was a student at York Uni, and in one of the recent Alumni magazines, some former students who now ran a ghost walk admitted to making a lot of the stories up!

It would be handy if you match up some of these fabricated stories with some of the stories Deggsy channels from the ether. ;)

Further to the R1 presenter being on MH...

Did anyone hear what happened?

Him and his sidekick did a vigil somewhere in York (not sure where) with Yvette and co. Nothing of note happens for ages and then Yvette goes absolutely mental, screaming "Did you just laugh in my ear?". Scott (the presenter) denies doing anything so they play back the audio they've been recording. There is absolutely nothing on the Radio 1 equipment but on the audio for Yvette, there's definitely an audible "heh heh heh".

I'll have a scout about and see if I can find the clips anywhere.

Nothing on the Radio 1 equipment, eh?

That means they couldn't nobble it!

Back