• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Here's my story

I was working on a student film. The writer's sister had commited suicide, and the writer had written the script about the sister's slow decent into a suicide state (she had been a model in a carribean country who got chicken pox and even though it didn't scar her perminately, it messed up her psyche and self image).

The crew were all staying in the same house, and the last thing we shot the last night was the scene with the suicide victims last phone call. The actress playing the suicide felt weird, and both her and the writer felt a "presence".

We wrapped, and went to our various rooms (it was a neat old house with a bottom floor as big as a house). There were supposed to be three other people in my room, but they were all out doing other things in other parts of the house. I pulled off my glasses about to fall asleep when I heard somebody in the hall/ I looked up, and in the dim light, I could see a dark skinned woman peaking around my doorway, giving the impression of giggling. I blinked and the figure was gone. Naturally, I thought it was the writer or the sound recordest being funny (even though the figure I saw was skinny, I just figured my eyes hadn't adjusted yet).

So, I went up the hall into the room where the both of them were at to see what was up (maybe I was hoping for a little romance). But I got there and the writer was in tears because she was sure she could feel her sister's presence! When I told them that I had seen somebody in my doorway, they told me that they hadn't left there room (an open door) and they hadn't seen anybody in the hallway either.

When I expressed what I saw, the writer recognized something about the peaking around the door as being just like her sister, the playful personality before she got sick, and that maybe she was trying to tell the writer to let go of her pain. There were tears, and I refuesed to sleep in the room I was in, so we all stayed in the same room for the rest of the night.

And as for what I saw: The ghost looked very much a solid figure, but there was a contageous sense of fun, like something being communicate on a non-verbal level. Although, I don't know why it would pick me rather than her sister, unless I was in the right mental state to see it and to convey a certain message about seeing it. And it was totally non-threatening, but it didn't mean that I wanted another visit!

I think most people have some minor incident, not enough to get into FT, but spooky nontheless.

heres one of mine.

two years ago one of my oldest friends topped herself following a long incurable illness.

she lived in the cottage next to me and the ex-wife. If she was having a bad time she would sometimes come into our kitchen and fall into the arms of me or my wife (depending who was there) and cry, say she couldnt take it any more, etc. We'd comfort her as best we could.

because she felt the cold and we lived up North she used to wear big, chunky sweaters and cardigans. The wool, combined with the soap she used gave her a plesant but very distinctive smell.

two weeks after she died I was doing the dishes and the smell came over me big style. This wasnt some smell from washing up liquid, or some other kitchen product. This was the unique, warm smell of my friend. And it suddenly blotted out every other smell in the kitchen

I'd cried since she died, but this night I cried with happiness. It was like she had come back into the kitchen just like she used to do

seeing ghosts?

I am with Ghost Dog, I used to see ghosts--or are they other kinds of manifestations?--all the time when I was younger. I saw children, adults, and even one that wasn't seen but would play tricks on me. But now I doubt it. I wonder did I imagine them? Did I tell myself these stories so often that now I believe it?

I do remember making a conscious choice to not see them, and I haven't since. I have no inclination to do so again.

My encounter(s)

Ok,

The first, which may just be our memories, was back in 1989 when I'd just moved into my grandparents house in Leicester. My Great Great Grandad built the house, along with one either side. In the Main bedroom which was at the back of the house, was a door leading upto the loft, which no one had ever been up to since the house was built(or as far as i know). Anyway, when we moved in we found that the door had been bricked up but thought nomore of it, until one day in November 1989 when the arieal had fallen of our roof. My father called a arieal engineer who arrived in the hour, only to ask for access to the loft. On closer inspection of the bricks that covered the door, we found that they led straight out into the next bedroom, with the stairs that all my family have seen, gone. Thus leaving a alcove size space in the wall????

Second was more scary, in May 1986, I stayed at a friends house in Leicester. We were sleeping in a very large room at the back of the house. The house dates back to 1700's but that is all i know. Anyway at about 3am the next morning I awoke to goto the toilet, and in the room was my friend grand piano. I remember it being there because 3 days earlier, we had to remove a window and use a crane to get it up there. I'd returned from the loo, and everything was normal. 8am and we awoke for breakfast to find the grand piano in the front room of the house. There was now way anyone could have removed the window and piano without waking us or dismanteled it and reassembled it in the front room. My friend often reported strange feelings of being watched while in the house, and 2 week later, the house was burnt down while his family were all out. Has anyone else had objects of this size moved?????

Not seen, but smelt...

It's hardly earth shattering.....

Lived in a flat above an empty shop in West London for a few years. My flatmate and I called it the Rat Hole, so you can guess it was a run down piece of crap.

When we first went to inspect we we thinking "No way" as it could only be entered by an alleyway (which was way too Jack the Ripper-ish) and then through a dillapidated narrow garden filled with shoulder-high thistles, bordered by the dilapidated property next door's broken windows (prompting thoughts of strange hands popping out of them). As far as scary mood setting goes this place had it all.

Anyhoo.... having passed through the spooky garden, we were surprised that the actual flat was incredibly welcoming (despite the world's worst furniture - incl. a lounge which was pink, purple and blue WITH glorious silver sparkles, ahhhhh they don't make 'em like they used to!). I couldn't stop looking at the end of the hallway which seemed to be bathed in a golden glow... and suddenly thought (heard?) the strange phrase "we will be safe here, nothing bad will be allowed to happen here" (quickly followed by a WTF!!!! - it's hardly like I've lived a life of violence, fear and danger or ever think stuff like this!). We took the flat - though my flatmate agreed to it only at my insistence, as we'd seen much nicer flats.

From moving in it always felt like there was "something" there, something hidden - a constant nagging sensation, kinda like when your looking for one book amongst hundreds thinking "I know it's here somewhere, why the hell can't I see it??". The flat had some weird features - such as a bolt on the outside of the bathroom door (but none on the inside) and the same with the kitchen door. There were marks on the wall that kept appearing after we'd cleaned them off, clocks that kept stopping and resetting themselves, tapping on the walls, feelings like something pressing up against me and lights that flickered really bizarelly outside the two doors with the bolts on the wrong side.

In the spot where the golden glow had been on the first day is where I felt the strongest sense of something being there (but being obscured). Frequently I'd smell someone there...I say someone, as it was the smell of human sweat tinged with cigarettes. For some reason I was convinced it was a woman, partially because the smell made be think of my deceased grandmother....
The more it happened the more I tried to rationalise it... I knew it wasn't me as I know the smell of my own sweat, and my flat mates sweat - this was someone else's sweat. Further there was often a strange draught in the same spot. I spent heaps of time cleaning around the area to eliminate any other sources of smell (maybe the smells were embedded in the carpet or something) and investigated sources of draught. This made no difference, but only made me begin to look like I was developing OCD.

I never felt particularly scared - just mystified and perturbed by it all. I called the presence/smell "ghostie" (you could say I have an active imagination - but a totally carp one when it comes to names;) ) and just got on with things. In many ways it was a reassuring presence which I could feel watching me and keeping me company - often while I was watching TV alone, with my flatmate out, something interesting or funny would be on TV and I'd (not even conciously) turn to the "ghostie's" spot to talk to her about it - before I'd realise that there was no one there.

Never really saw anything but the flatmate reported seing hazy forms in the golden glow area....

I only ever had one scary experience - I was watching the Bill (OK I'm a Bill fan - that in itself is pretty scary) and heard this horrible moaning (female). I'd seen the episode before, so I knew there was no hideous moaning in it. I got up and opened the window to look outside, as I put my head out, the sound grew softer. Closed window and moved back to where I'd been sitting, the sound grew louder. Anyway kept repeating the above as I couldn't believe the sound was coming from within the room. Also got this weird flash (kind like the golden glow and "it's a woman" moments) of a young woman's face - almost like a subliminal image in a film. Really freaked out and went to wake (bemused) flat mate - but by time he was awake and out of bed the noise had gone.

Well, I'm sure this is not particularly convincing to most of you out there, but other people's reactions in the flat were interesting.

- My flatmate kept saying strange stuff about how what he thought the flat had originally been (a brothel :confused: ) . There had evidently been many different renovations, and the very odd layout often was a source of speculation. He kept saying that he thought a woman had spent a lot of her time standing at the "golden glow" spot waiting there for someone whilst smoking. He also had a weird experience where his bedsheets kept getting flapped around over him and was seriously spooked for days

- My auntie spent her two night stay commenting all the while on how it reminded her so much of where she'd grown up (link to me thinking the smell was like my grandmother)... I don't think it's much like where she grew-up myself..

- A friend who claims to have lived with three children ghosts came to stay, (I never told her I thought there was something in the flat) who very calmly walked through the golden glow area and said "You do know you've got ghost here, don't you?". She claimed to have seen a woman standing in the spot watching her in bed.

We never learnt anything of the history of the place - so no clues there. There had been a few odd deaths nearby including a flat a few doors down where a guy fell out of his bed, through a window and on to the street, as well as a suicide (in the same flat!) - but nothing about our flat.

As a tale I guess it gives rise to a number of interpretations including overactive imagination, lunacy, ghost of unknown identity, ghost of grandmother, electromagnetic field in "golden glow" area giving rise to hallucinations..... any others spring to mind folks??? ;) :D

Hopefully there's a bit of Fortean material for you to chew on, whatever your persuasion

Plenty to chew on there indeed! Reminds me of a mate of mine when I was a student in Cardiff who was plagued with mild polt activity in his house - bumps, objects moving around etc, after something switched off and unplugged his digital alarm clock while he watched, he was down at the university accommodation office as soon as it opened that morning! The only thing I ever saw there was a violently swinging light fitting, which stopped as soon as my friend groaned "Not again!"...

More recently, I've finally been sent a copy of one of the photos I mentioned earlier up the thread:

Click Here

As can be seen, I was working on reception at the time, and I can verify that the bloke with the camera and myself were the only people in the building at the time. if you look at the left-hand-side of the gallery overlooking reception, there is what appears to be a dark figure. I'm afraid it hasn't scanned too well, but on the print I've got it looks solid enough. There isn't ordinarily anything up there which could have created a shadow or shape like it. The area in question is supposedly haunted by a ghostly nun, and one other guest reported seeing a "monk" on the gallery too! Any ideas?

One of my assistants says he saw a pair of disembodied feet going up one of the staircases, and also a ball of light which floated across the hallway and through a wall. Oh well, come Winter closing time next month, I'll be all on my own here - except for my "friends", that is:eek!!!!:

Oooo spooky. :eek!!!!: You don't work in The Overlook do you? Anyone called Brady offers you a drink, refuse it!
BTW Nice looking place.

I am working on a famously haunted ward on Tuesday so I'll be watching for the white figure which regularly passes across a corridor from the ward kitchen to the locked treatment room.

You can tell it's a ghost and not a nurse as it would be sneaking the other way, i.e. to the kitchen for a crafty brew.......

If possible I will collar the charge nurse who told me about the procession of heads as I'm fascinated by that story.

Hospitals are the spookiest places on earth.
I mean, at least peeps in graveyards probably KNOW they're dead!

Procession of heads! Procession of heads!

Pleeeaaase?

:spinning

Return of the Room 6 THING!

In addition to the photo I posted above, it seems that the whatever-it-is in Room 6 of the hostel is up and about again!

This morning I was cleaning in the room, and I'd propped the door open with a stool to air it. I was making beds with my back to the door when it slammed shut quite violently, and I distinctly heard the yale lock go "clunk". Sure enough, when I went over to investigate, the door was locked from the inside. The stool was still where I'd left it though!

I don't think it could've been a gust of wind, as no windows were open in that part of the house, and the lock's a chunky thing, which wouldn't normally have slipped into the locked position without help.

I was a wee bit shaken, and hunted out one of my hourly paid staff to tell her about it. She told me that last week she'd just finished cleaning the room, and had trouble closing the door after she was done, as it felt as though something was pulling at it from inside!

To be honest, I'm not really bothered as long as it sticks to mischief rather than really scary stuff. As I posted elsewhere, the manager of another hostel spent the night in there early this year, and was woken by something trying to push her out of bed. I slept in there for a few nights in February whilst I was sorting out my attic flat here, and had no dodgy experiences (in fact, the first night was the deepest, most relaxing night's sleep I'd had for ages).

This Winter, we're redecorating the room, so I hope all the sanding, filling and painting of the panelling doesn't set it off...

I've also had another report of a ghost seen on the gallery. This one was apparently a man in "a tall conical hat" and black and white garb. Sounds like a puritan from the description. Maybe there's a gang of them up there?

You work in an old place don't you?
I live in an old victorian pile (ground floor flat) in which the bathroom has severe damp (rotten floor boards). The doors in the house are quite heavy and the door frames must now be slightly out of shape from various refits and the damp, so the doors (particularly the bathroom) either won't shut, or won't open and can swing shut with the slightest push.

I saw the 'best of' Most Haunted last night and there were several incidents of door-interference, some in full view of the cameras. Usually the crew jump out of their skins when this happens.

It's little adolescent, this door-slamming. These ghosts need to grow up a bit.....

My dad was responsible for transforming a quarry in our area into a country park a long time ago. He usd an old building as an office which was an old small farmhouse or somthing or other. One day while working on his own he felt a presence and turned round to see a woman in blue in the room who then vanished. The area where the old office was, was later discoverd to be on the site of a medieval villige, some of which has been rebuilt and is now used for tours and battle reenactments etc. Since then the woman has been seen by two other people on seperate occasions. I recently spent a lot of time in the building over a weekend but I of course saw nothing :rolleyes:

I've just had a freaky experience although it could be my over active imagination working double time here....

About half an hour ago, whlist putting my son to bed, we were talking about my Dad (who died 2 1/2 years ago) as my son had been looking at a photo of them together and, sadly, can't remember my Dad at all.

My Dad adored my son and I hope he watches over him now as a guardian angel. I was saying that I'm sure that his Grandad watches him and could hear the laughter ensuing between us just before his bath time and, if he could have, would most definately joined in the fun.

My son then asked "What do you think he would say about me?" and I said "Well, he adorded you and would have probably said what a smashing chap you are". Just then the phone rang and cut our conversation short and this is where it gets weird.....as I said hello (which I repeated about 4 times) there appeared to be no person on the end of the line. The line seemed to be "closed" rather than open and echoy as if someone was just not speaking.

After putting the phone down I did 1471 and the nice lady told me that "no number was stored", so was this my Dad letting me know he's still around or just NTL playing silly b*ggers?

Other strange thing happened concerning my Dad and phones. Now my Pa was never a great lover of the phone (being female I am though!!), so it seems weird that if he wanted to contact me he'd do it this way, but I have had 2 or 3 dreams where he's been on the phone talking to me. I can't remember my Dad's voice but in my dreams it's perfectly clear, obviously have being stored away in the depths of my head as, afterall, I knew him for 27 years before that!

In the last dream I had, he told me there was something wrong with someone's blood. In the dream one of my sisters was saying "Oh thats about me" but my Dad said "No, it's Ian." who is an elder brother of mine.

I was telling my Mum, aforementioned brother and his wife about this when they both nearly fell off of their chairs. Earlier that week, my brother had been to the doctors to get the results of some tests he'd had done and the tests had come back showing that he had too many white blood cells, (thankfully he was just a bit run down) but not wanting to worry my Mum he'd not told anyone about going to the Quack to get sorted.

This just made start wondering whether my dreams were a bit more than my subconcious trying to give me comfort and just my brain replaying fragments of memory and turning them into dreams.

My Dad and I always made a pact that when he'd died (he was ill for a long time and knew it was coming sooner rather than later) he would come back and drop books behind me to make me jump, or drink wine out of bottles and leave them fully corked. So far nothing like this has happened but in retrospect it would probably scare the living daylights out of me so perhaps thats why he's just not done it yet!

I once made such a pact and proptly forgot about it, until it came true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A colleague of mine, who is also a good friend, had a scary experience in the late 70's that came back to haunt her - no pun intended - years later.
K, as I'll call her, is about 17 years older than me. In 1980, when I was pottering about in Infant school, she was shacked up with her first boyfriend!!
They rented the top floor of a house in our town. The house still stands and must be around 100 years old by now.
One day her boyfriend said that he thought the place was haunted. Expecting ridicule, he was amazed that K agreed with him. They related their stories, such as hearing utensils in the kitchen being rattled, having silly little objects go missing and hearing footsteps down the long passageway that veered off to all the rooms.
K, for some reason, convinced herself that it was a dead relative who meant no harm. But she had her boyfriend were still nervous and moved out after a few months. Apparently their fear got so bad that they started to use a chamber pot in the night rather than go down the passageway to the bathroom!
K told us the above story at work about 2 years ago.
Well now her and her boyfriend are married and have 2 teenage kids. They live in the neighbouring town, about 4 miles from their old home.
About a year ago, K was contacted by a complete stranger, a lady around her age.
The lady said that she believed K and her hubby had lived in the flat all those years ago. K confirmed this. The lady told her that since moving in herself, she'd had all kinds of ghostly goings on, including footsteps in the passageway! K was really spooked. They chatted for ages, comparing notes. It turned out that after K moved out of the flat, the lady's predecessor had moved in, who also felt the place was haunted. K declined the offer of going back to the flat, which was now converted to a house. But she hated the idea that the "ghost" could be her relative and still there; she didn't want it to get lonely with a stange family! :wtf:

Re: spiritual shift work

Originally posted by jamesveldon
Do ghosts work shifts? I know it takes alot out of people but we can have a sleep if we do the night shift just think what it must be like if your insubstantial.

yes theyre employed to do the 'graveyard shift' :D

Originally posted by Minor Drag

Strangest of all, at a bar one night, our drummer told me he would never kid us about spooks again. He had gone out reveling one night, completely overdid it, and couldn't get out of bed the next day. He even had trouble breathing. According to him, the spook climbed into bed with him! (One of Germaine's daughters, badly burned in a fire in the house, also haunted the place, appearing to a burn unit/bass player asking for help. When the musician informed everyone in the house that this girl needed medical assistance, they told him she was a ghost. Upon hearing, he promptly went upstairs, packed, and left). "Let's just say it was comforting, and kind of sexual," he said. I begged for details, but he clammed up. He told a mutual friend that "at least it was pleasureable." Although this guy is an inveterate practical joker, I could tell by his face he was dead serious.

The mansion was sold a couple years ago, and evidently being converted into apartments. What a shame. I hope Germaine gives 'em hell.

remineds me of a account abouut in house next to a church in e. angelia (i think it was owned by the family bull (u now the ones who built borely house/lodge??). the vicar was in a bedroom (northfacing?) when he FELT A NAKED FEMALE GHOST COOCH* HIM FOR A FEW SECONDS, sorry cant remember his name nor the book in which this acount was writen in.
*cooch:- meaning to hug (a welsh/wenglish word?) if there is a different meaning please let me know. thanx in advance.

The naked embracing ghost is from a book called Ghosts Over Britain by Peter Moss. Basically Moss invited people from all over the UK to write to him with their true ghost stories.

I've no idea how reliable the accounts are, but it makes for interesting reading.

Lavatory ghost!!!!!!!!!

My BF was, erm, busy in the loo at his almost-deserted place of work today when he saw the shadow of someone walking past.
The door is very noisy but he hadn't heard it, and when he went to wash his hands there was nobody there, and they'd have had to both pass him and open/close the noisy door once again.

He is never spooked (he has been 'haunted' plenty of times) but was able to joke today that he was in the right place for brown trousers!

I used to work in hospitals and have noticed that lots of ward lavatories are reputed to be haunted- I may even have left an account previously on this very thread.

It was when he was in the toilet that my brother saw the ghost in his house for the first time, walking past the open door.
I remember that scene in the film 6th sense too where the figure goes past the toilet door while the boy is in there. Maybe ghosts have a thing about toilets because they can't go any more and they miss it. :p

The haunted place I lived in had things go on upstairs in every room but the toilet !

Caroline said:
BTW could haunted loos be the real explanation behind the phenomenon of 'loo seat leaver upper'?
It's a ghost really not male forgetfulness.

Maybe. It would certainly let most of us off the hook. I don't suppose we need blame female ghosts though for lowering seats that have been purposefully left up by male users to avoid the higher calorific expenditure of repeated seat-liftings?

Marion said:
The haunted place I lived in had things go on upstairs in every room but the toilet !

Maybe the ghost suffered from constipation when he/she was alive!:p

Carole

Here's a story about a sceptic who became a believer in ghosts.
RIALTO — John Adams wasn't a believer in ghost stories until he started hearing about unexplained occurrences at the old church that is home to the Rialto Historical Society.

In fact, he admits to being a complete skeptic when he was first told of strange apparitions in front of a cabinet that holds the cremated remains of a little girl who died decades ago.

The disbelief changed after a series of unexplained experiences.

"I heard a female voice in the next room and when I checked, there was no one there,' Adams said.

It took seven years, but after his personal observations -- and those of paranormal experts -- the author and local historian from Rialto is now convinced the church is haunted. The volume of ghost reports eventually led Adams to call in a paranormal expert, who said he has convinced at least one spirit to vacate the building.
(And more..)

I don't know if I posted this before but it relats to the experences detailed in my 'Haunted semi' thread (http://forteantimes.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3708&highlight=semi)

Anyway on the night we all deserted the flat I looked back and saw someone runing up the stairs of the house. Since there was noone in the house at the time I must have saw a ghost.

not verry impresive (and it makes more sence if you read my story on the origional thread.)

Perhaps, James, but I think these "mundane" ghost sightings are the most authentic and believable. What did the person running up the stairs look like? How do you know there was no one in the semi? Did you think at the time that you had seen a ghost?

'Mundane' sightings are certainly most impressive, to me at least.

One of my young sons once saw someone looking at him from a window, which seemed so natural to him that he didn't mention it until he heard me tell the curator that we were leaving now so he could lock up as the building was empty....

Turns out that the window was the famous 'haunted' one which he hadn't known about!

Creepy case of the ‘ghost’ in the cabinet
JULIA Warren's gift from her daughter hasn't a ghost of a chance of remaining in her home – unless someone gets rid of the moody phantom haunting it.

Mrs Warren was given an antique china cabinet last year by her daughter Maria but, after enduring five months of supernatural goings-on, she has asked shop staff to take it back.

The 59-year-old grandmother, of Birchfield Road East, Abington, Northampton, said she kept seeing a lady wearing 1930s clothes standing next to the cabinet, who was clearly unhappy with her new home. And a door in the cabinet kept crashing down – although it was locked and the key was missing.

Mrs Warren said: “I wasn't frightened when I saw the ghost. I am Celtic and we take things like this for granted. But the lady was obviously not happy about where the cabinet was. I didn't want to keep it when it had such a bad feeling about it.

“The lady was very tall and gaunt and just looked miserable.”
The cabinet came from Trends, a furniture shop on the Wellingborough Road in Northampton, and the owner Mark Kypta said he had experienced the cabinet's spooky aura himself since the gift was returned.

He said: “Mrs Warren came in and asked if we would take back the china cabinet. She said she didn't want any money for it, she just wanted it out of her house because it was haunted. Since then I have opened up in the mornings twice to find the front open, even though it has no key and is impossible to open without a knife.

“I also keep thinking there is a customer in the shop, but when I turn round there is no-one there.”

Mr Kypta is at a loss to remember where the cabinet originally came from and is appealing for anyone who knows its history to contact the Chron. He also invites anyone who thinks they can cheer up the mournful phantom to take part in an auction of the furniture. Bids must be at the shop, at 330 Wellingborough Road, by January 25, all proceeds going to charity.

n Anyone who knows the cabinet’s history, or who has experienced other phantoms in furniture, can contact Chron features editor Sarah Freeman on Northampton 467047.
Friday, January 10, 2003
(From this page )

Back