Cannibalism: Disturbing, Gory—Strangely Common

Sid

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
This thread prompts me to recall the tale (from memory - which I believed was supposed to be a factual account) of one, Sawney Bean and later his family.

Back in my early twenties, in a Scots Library I read about this in an old brown local (Scotland) history book. Apparently, he, for whatever reason had fled to live (disappear) in a cave on the west coast.

He turned to existing by killing, slaughtering and totally existing by feasting upon wayward travellers in times when the horse and cart were the mode of transport. After a while, many people were reportedly found to have gone missing that the local Police were informed, and were made aware ~ thereby they investigated the immediate scene but found nothing, as high tide would cover the entrance to the very large, deep cave system making it unapproachable to them.

Then I believe he took a woman, they lived their and had children - who also fed upon the captured travellers and sightseers.

I believe they were eventually caught after a search by soldiers and brought to justice, and eventually hanged, with the exception of one of the younger children - I believe a young boy, who was taken away to learn how to live a normal life without resorting to cannibalism.

From the Internet... https://www.historyextra.com/period...urdering-cannibal-sawney-bean-actually-exist/

NOTE: We have a thread dedicated to this story:

Sawney Bean / Sawney Beane: Tall Tale or Truth?
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/sawney-bean-sawney-beane-tall-tale-or-truth.7623/

Last edited by a moderator:

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
This thread prompts me to recall the tale (from memory - which I believed was supposed to be a factual account) of one, Sawney Bean and later his family.
If you meet anyone with the surname Bean, always ask if they are related to Sawney. The joke is that you think they might be the descendents of one of his inbred cannibal progeny that escaped the cave somehow. Don't do this in Cromer tho.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score

Back in my early twenties, in a Scots Library I read about this in an old brown local (Scotland) history book. Apparently, he, for whatever reason had fled to live (disappear) in a cave on the west coast.

He turned to existing by killing, slaughtering and totally existing by feasting upon wayward travellers in times when the horse and cart were the mode of transport. After a while, many people were reportedly found to have gone missing that the local Police were informed, and were made aware ~ thereby they investigated the immediate scene but found nothing, as high tide would cover the entrance to the very large, deep cave system making it unapproachable to them.

Then I believe he took a woman, they lived their and had children - who also fed upon the captured travellers and sightseers.

I believe they were eventually caught after a search by soldiers and brought to justice, and eventually hanged, with the exception of one of the younger children - I believe a young boy, who was taken away to learn how to live a normal life without resorting to cannibalism.

From the Internet... https://www.historyextra.com/period...urdering-cannibal-sawney-bean-actually-exist/
Sawney Bean is probably anti-Scots propaganda. If the King was involved in the hunt it would have featured a lot in Royal Court documents.

Sid

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Sawney Bean is probably anti-Scots propaganda. If the King was involved in the hunt it would have featured a lot in Royal Court documents.
See - Sawney Bean/Sawney Beane: Tall Tale or Truth? Listed herein under 'urban legends & Folklore!'
#2 [from 'Anonymous Guest,' Jan 28th 2003.] (As previously outlined above!)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
If you meet anyone with the surname Bean, always ask if they are related to Sawney. The joke is that you think they might be the descendents of one of his inbred cannibal progeny that escaped the cave somehow. Don't do this in Cromer tho.
Don't say that to Sean Bean.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Is it wrong to be sad that the Kevin Bacon guy did not get made into bacon and fulfilled his nominative destiny?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it wrong to be sad that the Kevin Bacon guy did not get made into bacon and fulfilled his nominative destiny?
very very wrong! :p

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The victim should really have been called Kevin Sweetbreads, according to the report. Aside from the ghastliness of the crime and sorrow for the deceased, I do wonder why he would have been called Kevin Bacon when the actor of the same name would have been very well known when the victim was born. Maybe that's a question for a weird names thread or somesuch.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A few tidbits on a couple of flesh eaters mentioned on this thread.

Nico Claux - the Vampire of Paris now has an Instagram page showcasing his serial killer art. He is also the creator of the Bundyldo ( I'll let you find out for yourselves just what that is).

See all he has to offer here: Nico Claux on Instagram

Issei Sagawa - Japanese cannibal. In 1982 he shot Renée Hartevelt, and cannibalized pieces of her body. When deported back to Japan, he walked free and used his story to gain notoriety & fame. Below are 3 pages from a manga he wrote and illustrated detailing his crime.

WARNING - THE ILLUSTRATIONS BELOW ARE GRUSEOME & EXPLICIT!
isseisagawa1.jpg

isseisagawa2.jpg

isseisagawa3.jpg

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
A few tidbits on a couple of flesh eaters mentioned on this thread.

Nico Claux - the Vampire of Paris now has an Instagram page showcasing his serial killer art. He is also the creator of the Bundyldo ( I'll let you find out for yourselves just what that is).

See all he has to offer here: Nico Claux on Instagram

Issei Sagawa - Japanese cannibal. In 1982 he shot Renée Hartevelt, and cannibalized pieces of her body. When deported back to Japan, he walked free and used his story to gain notoriety & fame. Below are 3 pages from a manga he wrote and illustrated detailing his crime.

WARNING - THE ILLUSTRATIONS BELOW ARE GRUSEOME & EXPLICIT!
Pity when I was going to reply 'thanks for the warning' the software displayed the images as part of the quoted post :sick:

However, they aren't so bad. Somehow in my early teens I came across the police photos of the Mary Kelly crime scene. They stayed with me for a LONG time - in fact I still wouldn't like to look at them again.

Allegedly the worst crime scene photos (in the UK at least) are from the Samantha Bissett murder - another case where body parts were missing and possibly eaten. The police photographer had to have two years leave to recover. I never seen them and I don't want to thank you very much.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Pity when I was going to reply 'thanks for the warning' the software displayed the images as part of the quoted post :sick:

However, they aren't so bad. Somehow in my early teens I came across the police photos of the Mary Kelly crime scene. They stayed with me for a LONG time - in fact I still wouldn't like to look at them again.

Allegedly the worst crime scene photos (in the UK at least) are from the Samantha Bissett murder - another case where body parts were missing and possibly eaten. The police photographer had to have two years leave to recover. I never seen them and I don't want to thank you very much.
Cannibals are usually people with some form of extreme psychosis or drug-induced psychosis. It's usually a one-off and often a family member.

They are usually pretty boring people tbh.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I'm sorry, that made me laugh. Yep, must be boring being a cannibal - i wonder if they occasionally lust after a nice nut roast or a fish supper.

Ah, we need a bit of levity as we go along our way :)
It's usually a one-off and fulled by extreme psychosis and probably drug-fueled. Once they've had some treatment and stop eating someone then they are pretty unremarkable.

edit: I've just repeated myself - sorry.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Cannibal killer ate ex-girlfriend's brain after brutally stabbing her to death

Joseph Oberhansley, 39, stabbed former partner Tammy Jo Banton more than 25 times and mutilated her body at her home in Jefferson, Indiana.

The killer - who had previously served 12 years for killing a previous girlfriend and shooting his own mother - initially told police he had eaten parts of Ms Banton's body because she was "already dead".

He was charged with murder, rape and abuse of a corpse following the killing in September 2014, which prosecutors described as "worse than a horror movie."

This week he was told he will never be freed after being convicted of murder and burglary, but found not guilty of rape. Clark Circuit Judge Vicki Carmichael ruled that Oberhansley will never be allowed to apply for parole.
It's taken a long time considering this happened 6 years ago.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
The killer - who had previously served 12 years for killing a previous girlfriend and shooting his own mother
What? Really? Shouldn't someone have been keeping an eye on him?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
What? Really? Shouldn't someone have been keeping an eye on him?
You'd think so wouldn't you? You also have to wonder about a woman who'd have a relationship with a man who'd murdered a previous girlfriend & shot his mother.

Maybe she didn't know..

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
German police arrest 'cannibal' after murder victim remains found in Berlin forest

German prosecutors said Friday there is evidence of "cannibalism" in the killing of a 44-year-old man whose remains were found on the northern edge of Berlin earlier this month.

A 41-year-old man was arrested Thursday on suspicion of murder with sexual motives at his home close to the site where the victim's bones were found.

"The suspect had an interest in cannibalism," Berlin prosecutors' office spokesman Martin Steltner told The Associated Press. "He searched online for the topic."

Mr Steltner said it was unclear whether the victim had also had an interest in cannibalism. The two men, both Germans, had been in touch with each other online, he said. Neither of their names was released, for privacy reasons.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-cannibal-murder-victim-remains-found-berlin/

maximus otter