• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chips (French Fries; Fries)

Canadian curds and gravy?...At least we can agree on something.

I'll give it a try. I may not like it, but I'll do my damned best to enjoy it, but never, ever add melted bright yellow plastic squares to my chips.

Last edited:
I used to work in a UK supermarket (Morrisons) as a cafe cook, we had three separate large industrial frying machines, one for fries/chips/potato products only, one for fish fillets (that we dipped in gooey batter first) and one for meat (fatty sausages mostly) ..

Three different machines, three different cooks so we took it in turns to empty one of the fryers each morning at 7:00am dictated by paperwork stuck to a wall, the hardest one to clean before you re filled it with clean oil was by far the meat fryer .. someone tried to screw me over once, I was scheduled to clean one of the others but she told her friend to skip the meat fryer so I'd have to do it the next morning. I wasn't impressed, followed the paperwork and emptied a perfectly clean fryer and refilled it instead .. yeah I know .. who's going to play me in the movie?
How about Richard Fryor? Or Michael McCaines? for the movie that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am partial to M&S frites. You can get them in tiny boxes if you prefer to feel virtuous (I don't). They defrost nicely and go perfectly with a big blob of proper mayo.

They also do a pretty tasty 'chunky chip'. I know, I know, they're far from artisanal, authentic, lard slathered chippy chips, but I am having mine this evening! It's a Sunday treat here!

Esther Rantzen's show road testing new fangled flavours of crisps ..

This thread is about chips, French fries etc. Crisps are a different animal & not to be confused with chips unless you’re American. As you don’t fall into this category I regret to inform you that you have been issued with a fixed penalty notice which will double if not paid within 14 days.

This thread is about chips, French fries etc. Crisps are a different animal & not to be confused with chips unless you’re American. As you don’t fall into this category I regret to inform you that you have been issued with a fixed penalty notice which will double if not paid within 14 days.
Fair enough, my bad mate. Please send me your bank card and sort code number and I promise to pay the fine and not to rob you instead hunk X.

Assuming you’re talking about cheese, I can see this working - cheese & spuds being amenable bedfellows. I’ve never seen it offered as an option though.
You don't have cheesy chips where you are!? Every chippy in Cornwall I've ever been in does them!

You don't have cheesy chips where you are!? Every chippy in Cornwall I've ever been in does them!
I wish... Not available round my way. How's it done - cheese added after frying or raw chips rolled in cheese then fried?

Anyone got an air fryer? Do they produce good chips?

Anyone got an air fryer?
Yes, as an Xmas present. But it's already gone faulty (I know exactly what's wrong with it, and have it in a state of evisceration prior to replacing an internal thermal fuse).

Do they produce good chips?
Extremely good chips/fries. Of any variety: potato, carrot, parsnip, banana.

Their fundamental utility is the way in which they are easily-interruptable in their cooking operation, permitting frequent checks on progress (and shake-mixarounds of the contents).

Internally they are merely a repurposed inverted cooker-hob coil/ring, above an intermediate internal fan...yes, they're really just miniature fan-assisted ovens. The near-instancy of reaching a required cooking temperature and reduced overall times taken to cook things means it's impossible to instinctively know how long things will now take to be 'done'. They MUST be attended and fussed over constantly (in a good & bad way).

Our Xmas present one is (was, currently) very basic, I'd be interested to hear testimony from owners of sophisticated ones with lots o' bells & whistles.

I've got a Cosori 5.5litre air fryer. I use the fan oven cooking temperature and deduct 20% from the cooking time but do check a couple of minutes before that.

I've never quite got the hang of what heathens - non-Essex persons - put on their chips. What is wrong with straightforward salt and vinegar, helped out by a couple of pickled onions or a walley? Melty Cheese? Gravy? Curry sauce? How decadent :)

My local pub has a side dish on the menu called the ultimate cheesy chips. After being triple fried the thick cut chunky chips, are then smothered in mature cheddar grated cheese, covered in a spicy salsa sauce with a sprinkling of jalapenos on the top of that. If that aint enough, the dish is then put into the oven for it all to bake up.

I’ve never been a big lover of chips but………………

I don't believe this!!1!!

They're just chips with grated cheese put on them once they're cooked, how strange they're not literally everywhere :chuckle:
My local pub has a side dish on the menu called the ultimate cheesy chips. After being triple fried the thick cut chunky chips, are then smothered in mature cheddar grated cheese, covered in a spicy salsa sauce with a sprinkling of jalapenos on the top of that. If that aint enough, the dish is then put into the oven for it all to bake up.

I’ve never been a big lover of chips but………………
So let me get this right; Cheese on chips?

The world's gone mad I tell you.

So let me get this right; Cheese on chips?

The world's gone mad I tell you.
Cheese & potato is a classic combo surely… don’t you ever add grated cheese on top of the spuds on a shepherd’s pie before bunging in the oven for example?

Dick Turpin’s dish sounds a winner to me.

Cheese & potato is a classic combo surely… don’t you ever add grated cheese on top of the spuds on a shepherd’s pie before bunging in the oven for example?

Dick Turpin’s dish sounds a winner to me.
Its easy to replicate at home Hunck. All you need to buy is those triple fried frozen oven chips and you can do it yourself, with the cheese, Salsa and Jalapenos. Lidels do a good version.

I cook ‘em for my kids, with a nice homemade fishcake.

Yes of course.
And I occasionally like parsley sauce on fish, but I wouldn't want it on sardines.

Back