• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

The photo I posted shows them on the deck.

Condors are scavengers who eat carrion. They don't attack living animals. It wouldn't surprise me if they would get aggressive if you threatened their nest, but I don't recall ever hearing of a condor attacking a human.

Sorry, I meant would they attack the people if the people walked out on to the deck. You already answered though.

I don't think they are old enough to be pairing off to nest. Then again, I don't know anything about condors except I once remember seeing this amazing video footage of a bunch of them on a aircraft runway. They were so big some had 7 foot wing spans and they grounded all flights because they are an endangered species and there were so many of them on the runway. There was no way for an aircraft to lift off safely. It was an awesome piece of footage.

Then there's this awesome piece of footage you have probably already seen...

Heart warming moment condor shares a hug with rescuer. This is the heart-warming moment when a condor revisits the man who rescued it as a chick. The two are captured sharing a hug, as the condor is seen nuzzling the man known as Edgardo affectionately.

Canadian beavers steal fence posts to use in building their dam.
Castor caper: Porcupine Plain RCMP theft investigation has a dam good ending

A rural resident living near Porcupine Plain had left some posts piled on a property they planned on fencing, only to find they’d gone missing.

They called the Porcupine Plain RCMP May 7 about the theft. ...

Police said officers began investigating the post-plundering, but the caper was quickly revealed when the posts were spotted in a nearby waterway.

“The stolen posts were located in a beaver dam,” explained Cst. Conrad Rickards of the Porcupine Plain RCMP Detachment. “A beaver – or beavers – helped themselves to the stash of posts and used them to help build a dam. I tried locating said beavers but they were GOA [gone on arrival].” ...

“Who could really blame these little bucktooth bandits, considering the price of wood these days?”
Porcupine Plain RCMP said they’ve now closed this “extremely Canadian” case.
FULL STORY: https://www.humboldtjournal.ca/news...nvestigation-has-a-dam-good-ending-1.24317910

Meanwhile in Florida ... Residents of a Tampa suburb are dealing with a plague of turkey vultures.
Vulture invasion besets residents of Florida neighborhood

Residents of a Florida neighborhood say they are beset by an invasion of turkey vultures that are damaging homes and causing major messes.

Resident Judy Oliveri told WFLA-TV that her neighborhood in the Tampa suburb of Westchase is overrun with the large black birds, and they’ve been multiplying since they showed up three years ago.

“We could have 20 to 25 vultures on our roofs. They land on our screens, their under-feathers are all over the roof, their droppings are all over the place,” Oliveri said.

Other homeowners say it’s possible the vultures were dislocated from their previous habitat by ongoing development in the area. ...

“They are destroying our neighborhood and our property values. I would like them gone,” Oliveri said.
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/florida-...ure-oddities-dc5f1939dd3364859a17e05236d84ffe

Playing chicken with a Bull Elephant

He’ll get away with that, until the day he doesn’t get away with it.

l’m reminded of the incident that occurred a few years ago, where someone with odd ideas about nature assumed that he could interact peacefully with lions in the wild. Some cobblers about energies or chi was involved, IIRC. Anyway, he drove up to a pride, fixed a video camera in his car to record the anticipated love-in, and walked over to the lions.

l don’t believe that the resulting video, when viewed by the investigating authorities, displayed quite the animal behaviour that he had anticipated.

maximus otter

Last edited:
He’ll get away with that, until the day he doesn’t get away with it.

l’m reminded of the incident that occurred a few years ago, where someone with odd ideas about nature assumed that he could interact peacefully with lions in the wild. Some cobblers about energies or chi was involved, IIRC. Anyway, he drove up to a pride, fixed a video camera in his car to record the anticipated love-in, and walked over to the lions.

l don’t believe that the resulting video, when viewed by the investigating authorities, displayed quite the animal behaviour that he had anticipated.

maximus otter
:rofl:

Oh dear, my sense of humour. Better go to church on Sunday.

I saw a dead kitty on the road yesterday. Can't get it out of my head, broke my heart. Only a little one.

Was out in the middle of nowhere. No reason for it to be out there. Lost I guess. And then deaded.

Sorry - I know the thread is animals win. Just thought I would share.

An old friend of mine, worked in animal welfare (The stories I heard, -mostly about animal lovers...) one of her big campaigns was road safety in the New Forest.

This was thirty years ago.

And she is long gone, but the problem is still there.

Firefighters rescue woman from tree after her failed attempt to save cat

Firefighters from Voorschoten rescued a woman who got stuck in a tree on Saturday afternoon while trying to save her cat. A ladder truck had to be used to free the woman from her plight at 20 feet.

A spokesman for the Hollands Midden Fire Department told NU.nl that the woman was back on the ground 48 minutes after receiving the 911 call. Six minutes later, the same was true of her cat. Both the animal and the owner are doing well, according to the spokesman.

As the location of the incident is in the middle of a park, firefighters had to cut down a few bollards to get to the scene.

https://www.nu.nl/binnenland/613354...na-haar-mislukte-poging-om-kat-te-redden.html

People should keep their cats indoors.
You just chase them around to give them exercise.
They love it.

Firefighters rescue woman from tree after her failed attempt to save cat

Firefighters from Voorschoten rescued a woman who got stuck in a tree on Saturday afternoon while trying to save her cat. A ladder truck had to be used to free the woman from her plight at 20 feet.

A spokesman for the Hollands Midden Fire Department told NU.nl that the woman was back on the ground 48 minutes after receiving the 911 call. Six minutes later, the same was true of her cat. Both the animal and the owner are doing well, according to the spokesman.

As the location of the incident is in the middle of a park, firefighters had to cut down a few bollards to get to the scene.

https://www.nu.nl/binnenland/613354...na-haar-mislukte-poging-om-kat-te-redden.html

l was taught that the correct response to some daft biddy reporting a cat “stuck in a tree” was to reply, “Madam, have you ever seen a cat skeleton up a tree?”

maximus otter

Brood X cicadas are beginning to emerge in the southern USA, and they're already driving people crazy.
Georgia county begs people to stop calling 911 about cicadas

In Union County, one of the areas in Georgia where Brood X is happening, emergency officials are asking people to stop calling 911 about the loud noise the cicadas make, which sounds like an alarm. ...

“Union County E911 is receiving multiple 911 calls for “alarms” in the neighborhood. More than likely these “alarms” are not alarms at all but a bug, Brood X,” the Union County Fire/Rescue & EMA wrote on Facebook.

The last time Brood X made an appearance was in 2004. The cicadas come out once soil reaches 64 degrees.

They typically begin to emerge in mid-May and will stick around through June. Their calls can approach 100 decibels. That’s the same intensity as a lawn mower. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/g...-to-stop-calling-911-about-cicadas/ar-AAKjRM8

Bees getting pretty intelligent these days. Or is it just some computer trickery with CGI?

Less than a week after a Siberian tiger killed a zookeeper in Anhui Province, two performing tigers have been shot dead in Nanyang, Henan Province, after mauling a circus employee to death and breaking out of their enclosure, local police said: https://t.co/Lbaiy8eYfZ

As the Brood X cicadas emerge, they're not just plaguing people with their loud buzzing noises. They're also pissing on them ...
Heads up: Yes, a Brood X cicada just peed on you

As if their cacophonous melody wasn’t oppressive enough, reports have surfaced of the newly emerged Brood X cicadas urinating on innocent bystanders.

“It feels like when a rain just starts, and you get a small drop or two and say, ‘Is it starting to rain?’ ” Paula Shrewsbury, an entomology professor at the University of Maryland, told the Washington Post of the revolting phenomenon.

Fellow university entomologist Daniel Gruner explains that this happens when the cyclical insects consume an excess of the “watery xylem fluid of deciduous trees” to cool down, which forces them to “pee liberally.”

This micturate monsoon will likely become increasingly common as the pee-riodical cicadas surface by the trillions in 14 US states after awakening from their 17-year hibernation. ...

Worst of all, these red-eyed bugs are likely whizzing on people on purpose. ...

“They will squirt fluids at other males, birds or people” ... “They are not urinating on you but trying to ward you away.” ...
FULL STORY: https://nypost.com/2021/05/27/brood-x-cicadas-latest-annoying-habit-urinating-on-people/

As the Brood X cicadas emerge, they're not just plaguing people with their loud buzzing noises. They're also pissing on them ...

FULL STORY: https://nypost.com/2021/05/27/brood-x-cicadas-latest-annoying-habit-urinating-on-people/
When the pet superstore i used to work in (many moons ago) first opened, they had a pair of pigmy marmosets on display, people would happily go up to their cage to ooo and aaaah right up until the cute little monkeys would piss on them :hahazebs:

An Idaho farmer has lost dozens of lambs to bald eagle attacks. This is the first time the eagles nesting on or near his farm have bothered his sheep.
Bald eagles swoop down on Idaho farm, kill 54 lambs

An Idaho farmer has reportedly lost dozens of lambs in a series of bald eagle attacks beginning in April.

Rocky Mathews told The Times-News that eagles have nested on his farm near Murtaugh Lake for decades but that they never harmed his flock. Before witnessing an attack, Matthews assumed his lambs were victims of pellet gun shots, he told the outlet.

“They’ve never crossed paths till this year,” Matthews said. ...

Matthews has lost a total of 54 lambs and incurred losses of about $7,500, according to the outlet. The Idaho farmer lost seven lambs in one day at the height of the attacks. The dead animals weighed between 12 and 80 pounds, the farmer said. ...
FULL STORY: https://thehill.com/changing-americ...d-eagles-swoop-down-on-idaho-farm-and-kill-54

I didn't check if we already have this here. It's new to me:
1622994868979.png
There are links to several articles in the Twitter thread.
https://t.co/9kx5reWT9n?amp=1
https://t.co/kyKUIoALI1?amp=1

How would you get killed by ant? No mention of dogs, which must surely kill a few..

Back