• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

"I've already killed her once," I'm fairly sure referred to when he sealed the basement and thought the Dalek had 'exterminated' her. He thought she was dead; so when she wasn't dead, he wasn't going to kill her again.

Or something like that. I know it made sense to me at the time.

Homo Aves said:
I just hope they don't take too many liberties with the character of the Doctor.

If something mysterious and nasty happens to the new companion, who's just joined the crew, I'll begin to think that Red Dalek had a point, earlier.

I've encouraged my kids to watch the series, because the Doctor should be an anchor, the one fixed point around which the rest of the whole shebang revolves. If it turns out that this is a Doctor who's not to be trusted, then it really wouldn't be the same series that I enjoyed as a kid, it would be some nasty, Gothic, Dark Doctor, joke series, played on the public by a bunch of cleverdick, smartarses, instead.

I do hope not. :no-no:

I think the bad wolf grafitti has the same significance as mark evans dose in harry potter ;)

hope the time war is the christmas special and it also involves McGann's doctor and tennents at the end (one reason the doctor could be so moody at the moment is he, when he was McGann's Doctor saw himself having to regenerate as ecclestons Doctor to tennant's Doctor before he regenerated himself and had to zoom off in the tardis for episode 1 of this series. or is that not conveluted enougth.

EDIT:
I do find this rather interesting though, don't know who owns the website though, theres a chance it could be someone hoaxing it by just coppying out the who is dr who website and plonking it on a domain name they bought but...

http://www.bad-wolf.co.uk/

AndroMan said:
Homo Aves said:
I just hope they don't take too many liberties with the character of the Doctor.

...If it turns out that this is a Doctor who's not to be trusted, then it really wouldn't be the same series that I enjoyed as a kid, it would be some nasty, Gothic, Dark Doctor, joke series, played on the public by a bunch of cleverdick, smartarses, instead.

I do hope not. :no-no:

Shouldn't be a worry. Although the makers keep mentioning the likes of Hartnell's 'more mysterious' Doctor, the fact that they mention it only in passing would suggest to me that while this Doctor will sometimes be a little hard to figure out, he'll always be on the right side. I think.

It just won't always be obvious. :D

Keeping us long time users guessing is half the fun, I suppose. :)

Just expressing dissapointment that "they" took all my childhood nightmares, and crushed them. First the Dalek goes soft, then Extinct ... :shock: How can my kids be scared of a an endangered "touchy feely" squid !

The Dalek did explain that it had 'extrapilated time traveller DNA' from rose, so I reckon that it was not self destrucing, but regenerating at the end.

The Doctors assistant should always be able to trust him...they are a viewer substitute after all.

Lord_Flashheart said:
I think the bad wolf grafitti has the same significance as mark evans dose in harry potter ;)

hope the time war is the christmas special and it also involves McGann's doctor and tennents at the end (one reason the doctor could be so moody at the moment is he, when he was McGann's Doctor saw himself having to regenerate as ecclestons Doctor to tennant's Doctor before he regenerated himself and had to zoom off in the tardis for episode 1 of this series. or is that not conveluted enougth.

EDIT:
I do find this rather interesting though, don't know who owns the website though, theres a chance it could be someone hoaxing it by just coppying out the who is dr who website and plonking it on a domain name they bought but...

http://www.bad-wolf.co.uk/

This is a fake website - The web address that the BBC have registered is www.badwolf.org.uk

The co.uk address used to point to some other nonsense and has now been changed to point to the http://www.whoisdoctorwho.co.uk/ website.

Hope that clears stuff up.

Loved it especially the dalek both in its initial used car look state and when it re-generated. Just have a quick question for everyone, i think Christopher Eccelstone has been a fantastic doctor and i have noticed a slight anti eccelstone flavour on this thread. Don't get me wrong please i'm not having a go at anyone, everyone is entitled to there own views on the doctor and i can see where people would not like his portrayel but is some of it down to the fact that he is only doing one stint as the doctor. Oh and i do hope that the tod grimshaw character isn't in it for to long i think 1 traveller is enough.

Bring on the Cybermen.........

As a dispassionate and intermittent viewer (see previous posts), while Ecclestone carries off the wise-cracks of the scriptwriters quite well, his choice in 'normal' outfit reduces the past idea of the Doctor being an eccentric, not-quite-human.
A pick-and-mix costume allows the Doctor to stand out from everyone around him whereas he seems to be a passer-by who's been co-opted to read the lines of an alien character but without a costume.

Stormkhan said:
A pick-and-mix costume allows the Doctor to stand out from everyone around him whereas he seems to be a passer-by who's been co-opted to read the lines of an alien character but without a costume.

Yes, that's definitely a big part of it for me. Part of his 'alieness' seemed to be predicated on the fact that he just couldn't get the hang of, or had trouble remembering, how to mix and match the human wardrobe from various eras. It added credibility to his being an alien. I just don't buy The Doctor as a 'leather punk'.

If given the choice, I'd much rather see Colin Baker as The Doctor again rather than Christopher Eccleston (and that's saying something!)

Polterdog.

But, I like this one. He's obviously been watching Angel and is a fan. The similiarities, between the 250+/- Angel and this 900+/- Doctor, are quite interesting.

:D

Polterdog said:
Stormkhan said:

Yes, that's definitely a big part of it for me. Part of his 'alieness' seemed to be predicated on the fact that he just couldn't get the hang of, or had trouble remembering, how to mix and match the human wardrobe from various eras. It added credibility to his being an alien..

I think they adopted the same idea for Ford Prefect's costume in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.

[/quote]Polterdog wrote:
Stormkhan wrote:

Yes, that's definitely a big part of it for me. Part of his 'alieness' seemed to be predicated on the fact that he just couldn't get the hang of, or had trouble remembering, how to mix and match the human wardrobe from various eras. It added credibility to his being an alien..

While i can understand the costume choice annoying some people it is only a tiny part of the overall programme, after all while everyone loved the long scarf and costume of Tom Bakers doctor it was Tom Baker doing the acting not the scarf[/quote]

Feen said:
Polterdog wrote:
Stormkhan wrote:

While i can understand the costume choice annoying some people it is only a tiny part of the overall programme, after all while everyone loved the long scarf and costume of Tom Bakers doctor it was Tom Baker doing the acting not the scarf

Perhaps the scarf should have had its own series. K9 had a spin off, why not the adventures of "Scarffy"? :)

Feen said:
While i can understand the costume choice annoying some people it is only a tiny part of the overall programme, after all while everyone loved the long scarf and costume of Tom Bakers doctor it was Tom Baker doing the acting not the scarf

It's not just the costume (if only it were just the costume.) :)

But the costume, unfortunately, is emblematic of the show's biggest problem, I think, and that is that it's been "corrupted", or re-imagined, to bring it into line with what's proven successful with other recently syndicated sci-fi franchises in the hopes of cashing in on a quick, and easily made, buck. For this reason, I don't think AndroMan's comparison between The Doctor and Angel should be summarily dismissed out of hand as I'm sure a lot of image-consulting went on with how to make The Doctor look "cool for the kids" in this new incarnation of his -- something that I don't think quite pays off in the same way that the quirkiness of the old Doctor did.

I think what we (the complainers) of the new show have been trying to express, albeit unsuccessfully, with our constant nit-picking about little things like The Doctor's new costume, is that by taking the uniqueness out of the Dr. Who character, and turning him into, say, another Angel/Crichton wanabee, takes one of the things that we enjoyed about the character and throws it in the trash. It may be a necessary sacrifice to keep up with the more "sophisticated" tastes of the times but it doesn't mean we have to like it. :)

And then, of course, there's the scripts.

I would gladly watch, say, the piece of crap that was "Paradise Towers" (complete with the screechingly annoying Bonnie Langford) a hundred times over then that whole "Aliens of London" storyline again. "Paradise Towers" was bad, but knew it was bad. It was a comforting kind of bad. It was the kind of bad that should not only have had Dr. Who run out of town on a rail but tied to the tracks beneath the passing train. But this new stuff...yikes.

Anyhow, hopefully Tennant will bring some of that lost Dr. Who sensibility back to the role because, frankly, it sorely needs it.

Polterdog.

P. S. Just as a point of interest, does anybody know what kind of numbers Dr. Who gets? I can't imagine that it's doing well but then again....

Polterdog, i understand exactly what your saying and it was perhaps a bit facetious of me to just pick up on the costume aspect of Doctor Who. I can't help wondering though if the internet was available back when John Pertwee was leaving and Tom Baker Joining how many people would be asking who the hell is this new guy and what the hell are they doing to our Doctor. I think we have to expect are certain amount of changes to encourage new viewers otherwise when the Doctor does go off the air the next time it will be for good.
I understand completley that you don't have to like it, i felt the exact same when Red Dwarf went all over the place for the last few seris, seeing all the old re-runs on satellite has reminded me how good the old seris was.
As for Doctor Who numbers i know that it is beating everthing ITV have put up against it (with the exception of one Ant and Dec show) but that would not be difficult when ITV are showing the likes of Hit me baby one more time, now theres a show that could do with a visit from some very angry cyberman.

I haven't looked forward, so much, to watching a bit of TV every week, since Buffy, Angel and Dead Like Me finished.

And, my kids love it, so it can't be sooo bad. :)

How about a series starring one of McCoys assistants and parts of Tom Baker's costume. It could be called...

"Scarf Ace" :lol:

(listens to deafening silence, goes to get oversized coat and mismatched knitware...)

Last I heard, Doctor Who was pulling the highest figures of any weekend programme.

Ravenstone said:
Last I heard, Doctor Who was pulling the highest figures of any weekend programme.

It's well watched but what is is up against now ? "Celebrity wrestling".

Polterdog, you sound like a particular 'type' of Doctor Who fan. All I can say is that everyone I know is enjoying the series, and I can no longer hang my head in shame at its mention. Being a fan since the early Tom day, this series is the best Who has been since the Hinchcliff era; cripes, how you can say you enjoy Paradise Towers more than this...well, it takes all sorts.

Roll on Saturday nights

BTW, ratings are between 8&10 million.

martydee said:
Polterdog, you sound like a particular 'type' of Doctor Who fan. All I can say is that everyone I know is enjoying the series, and I can no longer hang my head in shame at its mention. Being a fan since the early Tom day, this series is the best Who has been since the Hinchcliff era; cripes, how you can say you enjoy Paradise Towers more than this...well, it takes all sorts.

Guilty as charged. :)

I like my Doctor Who quirky and his episodes a bit out of what has become 'mainstream sci-fi' (there's enough of that already, in my humble opinion.) And, not to sound demeaning in any way, but a lot of this 'mainstream sci-fi' has been done a lot better than what I'm seeing in this current incarnation of D. W. That's why I asked about the ratings. Aside from trying to gauge if my feelings about the new Doctor are justified (and if I was in the minority or not), I wanted to see how it was stacking up against the competition; if, in fact, you put it up against something like, say, Angel, or Buffy, or Farscape, how it would fare. I suspected 'not well', but based on your figures, I've obviously been proven wrong and I'll shut up about it now. :)

The other thing that kind of made me raise a questioning eyebrow was how quickly it went into syndication. In the past, here in The Great White North, it used to take us around 1 and 1/2 to 2 years to catch up with what you guys were currently getting to watch on a weekly basis (this was, if I'm remembering correctly, during the T. Baker and Davison years). It improved a little bit with Colin Baker's run, timeframe-wise, and I think with McCoy, we were pretty much up to speed (we actually surpassed you with McGann's movie, it being made by Fox and all, by about two weeks.)

Anyhow, with Eccleston, we're only about a week off the pace (we're seeing the Dalek episode, next week) and while I realize that the landscape of broadcast television has changed dramatically in the last twenty years, anytime you see a network put a property into syndication so quickly, it's never a good sign (it's like a 'strike while the iron is hot', kind of mentality that doesn't leave you with much confidence about the show's future.) At any rate, I guess you'd have to be inundated with the garbage that passes for syndicated television around here to understand why I thought Dr. Who might be in trouble.

Polterdog.

P. S. Ugh! I had forgotten about Ace, Austen. Thank you very much for making me relive that horror. :)

I've been a Dr Who fan since I was 3 (John Pertwee, circa 'Carnivale of the Monsters') and I still say that Ace was the best ever assistant.

Cujo

err you meant scottish or scots? dont you? :)

scotch either means the drink(whisky) or to put and end to

its jamie (played by fraizer hines(sp?)) and he was sposed to be a soldier from colloden(sp?) or bannockburn?

Back