Fortean Headlines

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient
Scientists taught rats to drive little rat-sized cars.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/23/us/rats-drive-tiny-cars-trnd/index.html

-----------------------------------------------------
Rats have learned how to drive and steer their own tiny cars in exchange for Froot Loops.
That's a feat on its own.
But the real discovery in the study -- and its wider implications for human mental health treatment -- was found in their poop, per new findings published in Behavioural Brain Research.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Dogs in tutus delay Norwegian Air flight.

There is a lot that is strange about this story.
A number of emotional support dogs were travelling in passengers' hand luggage on a Norwegian Air flight destined for Austin, Texas.

The Boeing 787 had been due to depart at 11:00 BST but was delayed by an hour and a half.

A spokesman for Norwegian Air said the captain decided to offload the "distressed" dogs and their owners.

Norwegian Air said emotional support dogs, for people with mental or emotional disability, are allowed on direct flights to and from the US, excluding flights to the UK.
:oops:

CALGACUS03

Devoted Cultist
"I Own a Haunted Pub" - Guardian (UK) - Life & Style - 25th October 2019

On half a dozen occasions, guests have had strange marks appear around their necks

In 2005, when my wife Sharon and I saw the Skirrid Inn in Monmouthshire was looking for new owners, we didn’t think twice. We had been running a pub in Hertfordshire and looking for an opportunity to return to our Welsh roots; the Skirrid offered that. With its reputation for paranormal activity, it couldn’t have been more different from the beautiful thatched pub we were leaving; but I love places full of history and intrigue. I enjoy horror films, too.
Full article here

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Scientists taught rats to drive little rat-sized cars.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/23/us/rats-drive-tiny-cars-trnd/index.html

-----------------------------------------------------
Rats have learned how to drive and steer their own tiny cars in exchange for Froot Loops.
That's a feat on its own.
But the real discovery in the study -- and its wider implications for human mental health treatment -- was found in their poop, per new findings published in Behavioural Brain Research.
I like how the rats could crash into the wall to stop their cars. What innovations are next? I see a rat clown car on the horizon . . .

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient

CALGACUS03

Devoted Cultist
Calls for memorial to Scotland's tortured and executed witches

I don't know whether this deserves a thread of it's own, or whether it should be moved elsewhere (mods - please feel free:)) but a Guardian article about Scotland's witch trials of the 16th/17th centuries. There is a link provided within the article that allows you to view an interactive map that shows where trials and executions took place - you can click on the map for more information (where available) on the individual cases.

Link to article here

Here's a representative screenshot of Mid and East Lothian (Edinburghshire and Haddingtonshire at the time):

1572429019088.png

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient