• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

As for Prairie Madness:
After COVID lock-downs, could anyone be mystified by the onset of madness in people faced with extreme isolation?
Not to mention shortages of basic necessities, such as toilet paper?

This is phenomena is well portrayed in the 2018 movie "The Wind" directed by Emma Tammi. The movie is labelled horror, but it is more of a realistic horror.
We have the Dorothy Scarborough novel "The Wind" and have seen the Lilian Gish movie once. They show realistic horror. Is the 2018 version based on, or borrowed from them?

I received a vinyl record the other day, I'd just got home from work and was looking after our grandson whilst they went to the supermarket.

He was watching trains on TV and I opened the package, which was fully sealed. As I opened it a pretty big spider crawled out of the packaging. I'm an arachnophobe and threw the entire package across the room, knocking over my empty glass in the process. It seems strange that a spider can end up sealed in a parcel like this.

On the funny side I do not want to pass on my arachnophobia to my grandson. He said "That made me jump gangan (grandad), what happened?" I told him it slipped out of my hand and he seemed happy with that explanation. His mum laughed and said that it slipped out of your hand and flew several feet across the room.

I received a vinyl record the other day, I'd just got home from work and was looking after our grandson whilst they went to the supermarket.

He was watching trains on TV and I opened the package, which was fully sealed. As I opened it a pretty big spider crawled out of the packaging. I'm an arachnophobe and threw the entire package across the room, knocking over my empty glass in the process. It seems strange that a spider can end up sealed in a parcel like this.

On the funny side I do not want to pass on my arachnophobia to my grandson. He said "That made me jump gangan (grandad), what happened?" I told him it slipped out of my hand and he seemed happy with that explanation. His mum laughed and said that it slipped out of your hand and flew several feet across the room.
A vinyl record? Do they still make them?
I still use my VCR, I have so many old movies in VHS form, I'm not parting with it! :)

I think that it is the fact that they have something physical and good artwork and a sleeve. It feels so much more satisfactory than a digital file.

We still have a video player I kept in the attic 'cos you never know. It wouldn't surprise me to see videos become 'cool' again at some point in time.

The easiest way to get a jar lid off, especially if you have been struggling with it in various ways, is to pass it to someone else to try, who will invariably 'pop' it off easily, causing you to remark "Well, I loosened it..."
To be honest, given that women do most things at least as well as men (and there are some things they can do we can't) being asked to open pickle or jam jars is right up there with rescuing them from spiders for restoring some male 'amoure propre'.

Anyways...back on topic....

I found a pound coin near my front door yesterday evening, all tarnished as though it had been outside for weeks.
Thing is though, is that the path from the pavement to my front door comes in from the right hand side, and to the left is just a large flower bed, and the pound coin was on the surface of this flower bed, nowhere near the door, and I only happened to see it because I was stood out there smoking a fag. There is no way that I could have dropped a coin anywhere near there.
I can only think that maybe a (eg) magpie had dropped it there?
Anyway, I'm a quid better off (assuming it wasn't my quid to start with)

Anyways...back on topic....

I found a pound coin near my front door yesterday evening, all tarnished as though it had been outside for weeks.
Thing is though, is that the path from the pavement to my front door comes in from the right hand side, and to the left is just a large flower bed, and the pound coin was on the surface of this flower bed, nowhere near the door, and I only happened to see it because I was stood out there smoking a fag. There is no way that I could have dropped a coin anywhere near there.
I can only think that maybe a (eg) magpie had dropped it there?
Anyway, I'm a quid better off (assuming it wasn't my quid to start with)
It wasn't the 'hob-nob crow' again was it?

helped him convert his van to run on hydrolysis (?)
Unlikely. Hydrolysis is a catch-all term for rending water apart into it's constituent atoms. (One of the ways of achieving Hydrolysis is the reaction created by passing an electrical charge through water to split it into Hydrogen and Oxygen, which could be done onboard a van using tanks of water and large batteries, but why bother when you can just fill up with hydrogen at a suitable filling station?)
Probably more likely that his van was converted to run on the Hydrogen produced from hydrolysis.

Unlikely. Hydrolysis is a catch-all term for rending water apart into it's constituent atoms. (One of the ways of achieving Hydrolysis is the reaction created by passing an electrical charge through water to split it into Hydrogen and Oxygen, which could be done onboard a van using tanks of water and large batteries, but why bother when you can just fill up with hydrogen at a suitable filling station?)
Probably more likely that his van was converted to run on the Hydrogen produced from hydrolysis.
I've always thought it a shame that Honda abandoned their trial of hydrogen powered cars (the Clarity?) in California. Drivers wanted to keep them but they had to be handed back.

The big drawback of hydrogen powered vehicles (or hydrogen powered anything for that matter) is that because hydrogen is the smallest element there is no container you can make that it wont just pass straight through. Hydrogen has to be liquified and kept under pressure and whatever you use to contain it has to be specially coated with all sorts of stuff AFAIK.

I'm sure you're right on the technicalities; as for why, he's an engineer, he just builds stuff! I do remember though that it wasn't practical or economical for some reason, he only ran it like that for a summer going round to the rallies :)

I've always thought it a shame that Honda abandoned their trial of hydrogen powered cars (the Clarity?) in California. Drivers wanted to keep them but they had to be handed back.
I think the Clarity was the 'FCV Clarity', so-called because it was a 'Fuel Cell Vehicle', so strictly speaking it was an electric car which ran via the electricity created by passing the hydrogen through a fuel cell, in which it reacted with oxygen to produce electricity and water vapour.

There are other 'hydrogen powered vehicles' in which the hydrogen is combusted similarly to that in which a regular petrol engine works.
All that comes out of the exhaust though is (again) water vapour.

Back