• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Miscellaneous Ghost Photos & Videos

One of my ancestors was (briefly) in the Death cell there in the 1840s - luckily convicted just before xmas so he was the lucky prisoner who got the death sentence commuted and ended up with a free ticket to Tasmania. Wonder if he'd haunt me if I went on that tour?

ETA: Convicted for incendiarism - no people were actually killed by him as they all got out of the house in time... Victims also my ancestors, given how inbred farmers were, probably inevitable. He was only 17 and not even the person holding the match. But the law had recently changed to make incendiarism a capital crime. If he'd done it right after xmas, he'd have hung.

Last edited:
Yes, Dispensary just a bit more off the beaten track and the plus is that you can go in the Swan as well so a big recommend to the Fortean tourists. It's not always open, apparently, is the downside. We were in a "queue" of about 6 people so only waited a few minutes. My kid works in town in another tourist trap shop so he knows what times of year/day the main shop has no, or a tiny, queue - so sometimes he just gets ghosts for people on a wet Thursday evening or whatever. But we were in town anyway and I thought I'd go check it out and not bother if there was a big queue. After we came out there was only one lot of people waiting to go in so I suspect you can get lucky and catch the Dispensary when nobody else is there...

Which pub has the haunted bog? Definitely want to try that (if it's the Ladies).
Aren't pub bogs usually haunted by eldritch miasmas?

Yes, Dispensary just a bit more off the beaten track and the plus is that you can go in the Swan as well so a big recommend to the Fortean tourists. It's not always open, apparently, is the downside. We were in a "queue" of about 6 people so only waited a few minutes. My kid works in town in another tourist trap shop so he knows what times of year/day the main shop has no, or a tiny, queue - so sometimes he just gets ghosts for people on a wet Thursday evening or whatever. But we were in town anyway and I thought I'd go check it out and not bother if there was a big queue. After we came out there was only one lot of people waiting to go in so I suspect you can get lucky and catch the Dispensary when nobody else is there...

Which pub has the haunted bog? Definitely want to try that (if it's the Ladies).
The gents at The Watergate Inn.

Ooh just had to look that up (don't go down Walmgate much). Damn, it's in the gents!

For a minute I thought it might be that The Roman Bath one because the loos in there are a bit creepy.
Walmgate and Fossgate are two of my favourite bits of York. Not so crowded with tourists - there's always space in the cafes and bars. Gillygate is another one - it's like the tourists only go as far as the centre of town. I think there's another haunted pub down there too, need to look that up...

Walmgate and Fossgate are two of my favourite bits of York. Not so crowded with tourists - there's always space in the cafes and bars. Gillygate is another one - it's like the tourists only go as far as the centre of town. I think there's another haunted pub down there too, need to look that up...
I like York in the 1990's when a pub was a pub and extra treat was much cheaper in Sam Smiths plus my sport Rugby League and even Rugby Union has a presence alongside te Scooter Scene.
New Stadium a joke for both Football and Rugby 13, Sam Smiths prices higer then Spoons...I'm not a happy bunny.

I like York in the 1990's when a pub was a pub and extra treat was much cheaper in Sam Smiths plus my sport Rugby League and even Rugby Union has a presence alongside te Scooter Scene.
New Stadium a joke for both Football and Rugby 13, Sam Smiths prices higer then Spoons...I'm not a happy bunny.
I only saw the old football ground once when I picked my kids up after going to see a game and it looked to have a great atmosphere - that new one looks soulless. All real estate being tarted up for student accommodation or flats for rich people.

I only saw the old football ground once when I picked my kids up after going to see a game and it looked to have a great atmosphere - that new one looks soulless. All real estate being tarted up for student accommodation or flats for rich people.
Thats sad real estate for student accommodation and flats for rich people as you want to see the effects that have done to Newcastle.....bloody students.

Copying over from a Facebook comment I made on a Fortean group. Now on one level this isn't Fortean at all: there genuinely is a child in a blue top in this photo who was there at the time the photo was taken. Two things make it worthy of inclusion here:
i) the photographer said he had no recollection at all of such a child in the room or in shot, but multiple witnesses stated "No, you're wrong, the child was definitely present along with their parents".
ii) The perspective is odd. You have to really look several times to establish where they physically are in the room: the combination of elements in the photo makes it look as if the kid is both in front of, and behind, the man in the foreground. (he's actually behind the man with outspread arms)
This is a photo taken in the instant of a roomful of dancing people in continual motion: taken an instant later or earlier, everything would have resolved itself in normality and it would be unremarkable. I'm wondering if at least some "ghost" pictures could be explained in terms of things like this - you could have taken a hundred shots of this ever-changing dynamic scene, each capturing a fleeting instant of frozen motion, and only this one captures something (explicably) odd. The photographer maintains he had no recollection of a child in a blue top being present (but other evidence says the child was there). This is backed by this one frozen instant looking just odd and weird to the eye - but explicable by folds of loose clothing obscuring the detail and tricking the eye, in a crucial instant.
A ghost picture that never was?
1697892189679.png

Copying over from a Facebook comment I made on a Fortean group. Now on one level this isn't Fortean at all: there genuinely is a child in a blue top in this photo who was there at the time the photo was taken. Two things make it worthy of inclusion here:
i) the photographer said he had no recollection at all of such a child in the room or in shot, but multiple witnesses stated "No, you're wrong, the child was definitely present along with their parents".
ii) The perspective is odd. You have to really look several times to establish where they physically are in the room: the combination of elements in the photo makes it look as if the kid is both in front of, and behind, the man in the foreground. (he's actually behind the man with outspread arms)
This is a photo taken in the instant of a roomful of dancing people in continual motion: taken an instant later or earlier, everything would have resolved itself in normality and it would be unremarkable. I'm wondering if at least some "ghost" pictures could be explained in terms of things like this - you could have taken a hundred shots of this ever-changing dynamic scene, each capturing a fleeting instant of frozen motion, and only this one captures something (explicably) odd. The photographer maintains he had no recollection of a child in a blue top being present (but other evidence says the child was there). This is backed by this one frozen instant looking just odd and weird to the eye - but explicable by folds of loose clothing obscuring the detail and tricking the eye, in a crucial instant.
A ghost picture that never was? View attachment 70680
You're right, it's odd. And if someone posted this picture people would say it was a photoshop job, if they just glanced at it. It's better if you just look at the legs, it all makes sense then.

Video shows fast moving "mist" blow by outside a haunted hotel as inside motion detectors go off.

https://www.wmur.com/article/library-restraurant-portsmouth-new-hampshire/45587998

This could be a lot of things. First, notice the location of the camera (I marked), it's near a window and an air conditioner unit, both of which could be part of the cause. We're supposed to assume no one else is in this hotel? Sure looks like they might have been smoking out one of the windows.
rockingham.png

I guess they are trying to capitalize on Spooky Season. Unimpressive.

I'm not claiming a ghost and neither is the poster, but it's certainly a bit weird. The apparent figure seems to stumble and either trip or simply descent forwards into the ground.

So uh.. My mom just sent this to me from her security camera.​

Captured Apparition

This is just about the best footage I've ever seen. My brother is right there and never heard or saw anyone, no nearby neighbors that would be walking on her property like that either.

Full Clip:

Seems to walk in as normal from the left then stops? Tying a shoelace, or up to no good and notices the guy behind the car and drops out of sight?

Seems to walk in as normal from the left then stops? Tying a shoelace, or up to no good and notices the guy behind the car and drops out of sight?

Does there seem to you to be two distinct drops: one about 3.5 seconds after the first?

I can't see a video? just stills :(

Does there seem to you to be two distinct drops: one about 3.5 seconds after the first?
Yes, the first one looks pretty normal as in tying the shoelace; after the second the figure seems to vanish. I still wonder whether it is someone interested in a car with door and boot open who notices someone at the car (he would be hidden by the open boot) when the chap moves and closes the boot he ducks down further, perhaps thinking he is danger of being spotted.

However he does a pretty good job of vanishing the second time and would possibly make some noise walking that close to the car but the chap at the car seems unaware.

It's certainly odd, isn't it?

Suspected "Shadow Person" Photographed at Renfrew Baths in Scotland​

Paranormal investigation team The Scottish Ghost Company claims to have captured a mysterious, shadowy figure on camera during an event on Saturday, November 25th, at Renfrew Baths near Glasgow in Scotland.

During the event, one of the crew members took a picture for the team's portfolio. However, upon further inspection, they noticed a humanoid shadow walking next to the changing room.

Full Story @ https://www.singularfortean.com/new...son-photographed-at-renfrew-baths-in-scotland

Suspected "Shadow Person" Photographed at Renfrew Baths in Scotland​

Paranormal investigation team The Scottish Ghost Company claims to have captured a mysterious, shadowy figure on camera during an event on Saturday, November 25th, at Renfrew Baths near Glasgow in Scotland.

During the event, one of the crew members took a picture for the team's portfolio. However, upon further inspection, they noticed a humanoid shadow walking next to the changing room.

Full Story @ https://www.singularfortean.com/new...son-photographed-at-renfrew-baths-in-scotland
Viewing the photograph a bit closer, there seems to be an accompanying shadow/reflection; only when the Scottish Ghost Company (presumably) drew the yellow circle to highlight the outline of the shadow-person, they didn't appear to have noticed that there was also an accompanying shadow reflected in the water, as they covered it over with the highlighter ~ and never noticed it!
"What a mistake'a, to make'a!"

Poolside.png

Last edited:
Ohhh. But shadow people are so in, these days ...
^This^. I looked at a slightly larger pic (on my phone, so not really big). It does show that there is a shadow cast on the frame and it looks like a leg and possibly an arm. The real stretch is imagining the head shadow that is not there.

There are triangular banners hanging across the pool, and we don't know where the light is coming from. It is very possible that the banners are casting the shadows.

If you look at the frame slightly further left, where the next blue banner is hanging, you can see a shadow on that frame as well.

Edited to add: if we can inspect a photo like this, why don't the "paranormal" team do this? They have the original photo. Also, you would think that before it made its way to a "Fortean" article, the people writing the article might inspect it closer.:dunno: It doesn't add any credibility to either the team nor to The Singular Fortean Society.

Last edited:
^This^. I looked at a slightly larger pic (on my phone, so not really big). It does show that there is a shadow cast on the frame and it looks like a leg and possibly an arm. The real stretch is imagining the head shadow that is not there.

There are triangular banners hanging across the pool, and we don't know where the light is coming from. It is very possible that the banners are casting the shadows.

If you look at the frame slightly further left, where the next blue banner is hanging, you can see a shadow on that frame as well.

Edited to add: if we can inspect a photo like this, *why don't the "paranormal" team do this? They have the original photo. Also, you would think that before it made its way to a "Fortean" article, the people writing the article might inspect it closer.:dunno: It doesn't add any credibility to either the team nor to The Singular Fortean Society.
The banners (which would add a triangular shadow image) are too close to the foreground for the camera to pick-up, which explains why there shadow is not within-the-picture.
*Probably because they both quite literally just overlooked it, which is easy to do when your looking at the main event! Which, in fact would be quite an important fact - that it backs up what is seen above, but has detracted from the initial image of the shadow image above the pool! Adds a good bit of photo-cred to it too!
*Added. . . the light is coming from the centre from the spotlight in the middle of the photograph.

Last edited:
Think they're having bandwidth/loading issues.

Try this:

View attachment 72221
I see them walking through the scrub at 0:08, heading towards the road, then they look down at their hand, which has something in it at 0:11. They then bend down at 0:12, as if to look at something, or to do their lace up.

If that were my Brother, he would completely untangle the lace and lay them either side of the shoe first and then commence to tie the laces up, gently vocalising how he was taught as a child. (We're all a bit..different in my family.)

There is movement of the head at 0:16, and an alteration of the pixels at 0:18.

They're also in shorts - an odd observation I know, but...

Viewing the photograph a bit closer, there seems to be an accompanying shadow/reflection; only when the Scottish Ghost Company (presumably) drew the yellow circle to highlight the outline of the shadow-person, they didn't appear to have noticed that there was also an accompanying shadow reflected in the water, as they covered it over with the highlighter ~ and never noticed it!
"What a mistake'a, to make'a!"

View attachment 73669
There seems to be a reflection in the glass of a shoulder and the posterior of a head. The windows ahead of the Shade and behind show a flatness.

Edited to add: if we can inspect a photo like this, why don't the "paranormal" team do this? They have the original photo. Also, you would think that before it made its way to a "Fortean" article, the people writing the article might inspect it closer.:dunno: It doesn't add any credibility to either the team nor to The Singular Fortean Society.
The point is that to have a credible paranormal 'team' then they have to get results ... paranormal 'captures'. It adds the credibility of the credulous.
They want to believe.
They want the appeal of the majority who aren't invested enough in the subject to close question but find it entertaining. Where would Most Haunted have found its income stream if all each show had to offer was Yvette squealing at anything, Derek saying "Sam tells me my show next week will be sold out" and Ciaran says "Nothing happened. See you next week."

Back