• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Miscellaneous Ghost Photos & Videos

I have found a lot of these old 'ghost of my mother/someone I knew/there was no one else in the car at the time' pictures just come down to the person taking the picture forgetting when the picture was actually taken. In the olden days, when you had to finish a roll of film before you got it developed, we could sometimes wait months for a film to be finished, and, unless the pictures were of a specific time (holiday away, say, or a birthday party), it's fairly easy to think 'wait, this was taken after mother's funeral! And there she is!' when the picture was really taken a few days before mother died. And having had someone else around who was forgotten about by the time the picture was developed. There's a picture in my family album of a group of us with a 'mystery boy' on holiday, looking back it would be easy to say 'oh, it's obviously a ghost of a child from some part of the family', when really it's more likely we were playing with another child who happened to be in the photo but wasn't someone we knew, and whose existence was completely disremembered.

Staying on the subject of ghosts in vehicles, this photo is fairly rare and although it's in Richard Kelly and Robert Rickard's Photographs of the Unknown I haven't seen it anywhere else. It was taken in 1979 by a London medium called Gladys Hayter, not long before the book was written and it shows her daughter in her car who was alone. However, it also shows an unknown girl aged about 11 in the back looking very solid. It's a creepy image that reminds me of the classic Mabel Chinery photo that showed the ghost of her mother in the back of the car
After enlarging the photo, it does appear to be just another Pareidolia subject.

She was, the girl is sitting in the back on the left and I can make her out clearly
Curioser and curioser...

I can see a young Lass - quite substantial, but she looks to me as if she's 'riding shotgun'. The driver, I cannot make out - very insubstantial...

I think that I shall go to specsavers this coming Monday.

Staying on the subject of ghosts in vehicles, this photo is fairly rare and although it's in Richard Kelly and Robert Rickard's Photographs of the Unknown I haven't seen it anywhere else. It was taken in 1979 by a London medium called Gladys Hayter, not long before the book was written and it shows her daughter in her car who was alone. However, it also shows an unknown girl aged about 11 in the back looking very solid. It's a creepy image that reminds me of the classic Mabel Chinery photo that showed the ghost of her mother in the back of the car
I still have a copy of that book.

The book seems a bit fanciful.

It was just a kid in the back of he car.

If the photo was taken by a medium then I am more suspicious.

I can see the driver quite well, although part of her face isn't clear because of sunlight reflecting

I can see the driver quite well, although part of her face isn't clear because of sunlight reflecting
I think it is a right hand drive car and the driver is not visible behind the windscreen pillar. I think you are referring to the child in the back behind the driver.

I think it is a right hand drive car and the driver is not visible behind the windscreen pillar. I think you are referring to the child in the back behind the driver.
You can (perhaps) make out the arm of the driver (red) and the face (green).

I think the girl is in the front passenger seat, (yellow), but perhaps sat more over towards to the driver's side and turned towards the camera so that the seat-back looks like it is in front of her, not behind as you would expect.

gc.jpg

First thing: This is really not a set up for a jump scare.

I’ve had this bookmarked for a while but don’t recall how I first came across it. I haven’t seen it posted here before, but it’s been around for at least nine years - and I’m not usually a fan of such stuff so may have missed it – so apologies if it’s covering old ground.

My relationship with these sorts of images and recordings is not a good one (which should not be taken as a reflection of my opinion on the general subject of ghosts) so, I was more than a little surprised to stumble over a recording I actually quite like (which should not be taken as an assumption that I think it’s genuine).

Why do I like it? Well, because I like rivers and I like looking at rivers; because – although I never in a million years would have thought that the concepts of ASMR and alleged recordings of ghosts were two ideas that would ever go hand in hand – it does kind of give me a warm and tingly feeling; because if it’s a fake (and let’s face it, they all are) it seems to me to be an admirably subtle and restrained one.

I know something about photo editing, but nothing at all about video editing and manipulation - but I’m working on the assumption that this is some sort of real-world anomaly (say, a water droplet being blown across the lens) that has been enhanced somehow.

It will be interesting to see how many spot the alleged thing without any guidance – although you’ll have to ignore the subtitles to do that. Judging by the comments, some people seem to have seen it straightaway – others struggle even with directions. For the frustrated, I’ll put some pointers in spoilers:

Time:

0:52 – 1:41

Position:

Centre of left hand third of screen.

It’s either a fake, an amazing bit of pareidolia, or it’s some sort of…

ghost, angel, woodland sprite, Cernunnos hybrid

I’m guessing one of the first options – but I really like the idea of the third.

(Once you’ve located the apparent anomaly it’s kind of interesting to watch it again with the playback speed upped to 1.5: the general flow of the apparent motion becomes more joined up.)

You'll need to expand this to a full screen. (The section from around 1:44 is a closer framing of the same sequence - try spotting it in the initial half before you go for the cheat code).

And again - does not contain jump scares.

Last edited:
One thing I'd add.

To address a very common and legitimate question in regard to such imagery - the person who took this footage was apparently looking to film otters, and nature photography is one area where it is absolutely legitimate practice to have a camera pointing at not much at all for hours on end.

First thing: This is really not a set up for a jump scare.

I’ve had this bookmarked for a while but don’t recall how I first came across it. I haven’t seen it posted here before, but it’s been around for at least nine years - and I’m not usually a fan of such stuff so may have missed it – so apologies if it’s covering old ground.

My relationship with these sorts of images and recordings is not a good one (which should not be taken as a reflection of my opinion on the general subject of ghosts) so, I was more than a little surprised to stumble over a recording I actually quite like (which should not be taken as an assumption that I think it’s genuine).

Why do I like it? Well, because I like rivers and I like looking at rivers; because – although I never in a million years would have thought that the concepts of ASMR and alleged recordings of ghosts were two ideas that would ever go hand in hand – it does kind of give me a warm and tingly feeling; because if it’s a fake (and let’s face it, they all are) it seems to me to be an admirably subtle and restrained one.

I know something about photo editing, but nothing at all about video editing and manipulation - but I’m working on the assumption that this is some sort of real-world anomaly (say, a water droplet being blown across the lens) that has been enhanced somehow.

It will be interesting to see how many spot the alleged thing without any guidance – although you’ll have to ignore the subtitles to do that. Judging by the comments, some people seem to have seen it straightaway – others struggle even with directions. For the frustrated, I’ll put some pointers in spoilers:

Time:

0:52 – 1:41

Position:

Centre of left hand third of screen.

It’s either a fake, an amazing bit of pareidolia, or it’s some sort of…

ghost, angel, woodland sprite, Cernunnos hybrid

I’m guessing one of the first options – but I really like the idea of the third.

(Once you’ve located the apparent anomaly it’s kind of interesting to watch it again with the playback speed upped to 1.5: the general flow of the apparent motion becomes more joined up.)

You'll need to expand this to a full screen. (The section from around 1:44 is a closer framing of the same sequence - try spotting it in the initial half before you go for the cheat code).

And again - does not contain jump scares.

Best I have seen in a very long time. I found that by pressing pause at the time it appears and then clicking on the bar thing-y to bring up still images worked well.

I know what I can see but I am suspicious of the channel it is posted on as it is anonymous, only has this one video and yet thousands of subscribers...? Also it claims to be a channel that:

"Over the last few years I have collected and studied unusual video clips that people have sent me from all over the world.From UFO videos to ghostly figures that were only seen after the video had been played back."

Yet only has one video? We need to remember that the person who has posted the video isn't the person who was filming otters and unless we can hear from the actual videographer then this has been be classed as suspect.

Last edited:
I wonder why the camera is picked up so hastily right at the end? That implies the person taking the video was very near the camera while it was recording but surely otters would be wary with someone standing around. Unless the 'thing' showed up right at the very end of a much longer video? It says at the start that the person filming "noticed something strange happening in the trees on the left" but doesn't actually clarify whether she saw it while they were there or if it was only spotted when she watched the footage back.

For what it's worth I think it's fake. Watching it forward and back frame by frame on Youtube (using the < and > keys on a laptop or desktop PC) indicates it seems to be layered over the background video and brought in and out by adjusting the transparency.

I'd love to know where in Scotland it was filmed. Unfortunately as a nation we're cursed to always be described as if we're a small village. It could have been filmed virtually anywhere from Coldstream to Durness, or Campbelltown to Fraserburgh!

...I know what I can see but I am suspicious of the channel it is posted on as it is anonymous, only has this one video and yet thousands of subscribers...? Also it claims to be a channel that:

"Over the last few years I have collected and studied unusual video clips that people have sent me from all over the world.From UFO videos to ghostly figures that were only seen after the video had been played back."

Yet only has one video? We need to remember that the person who has posted the video isn't the person who was filming otters and unless we can hear from the actual videographer then this has been be classed as suspect.

Oh yes, lots of red flags - but still quite fun, not least because it's not as appallingly shit as most of the offerings out there.

And the channel name references the boletus genus of mushroom, which includes porcini.

The name porcini is apparently derived from the Latin for little pig.

Little porkies?

Just saying.

..For what it's worth I think it's fake...

Let's face it...yup.

But, as I said in my first post, I actually quite admire this one for at least having a little subtlety.

It seems odd to me that it doesn't seem to have gone even a little bit viral compared to some of the utterly lazy trash that does.

But - depressingly - maybe that's the problem: it's just not shit enough.

Let's face it...yup.

But, as I said in my first post, I actually quite admire this one for at least having a little subtlety.

It seems odd to me that it doesn't seem to have gone even a little bit viral compared to some of the utterly lazy trash that does.

But - depressingly - maybe that's the problem: it's just not shit enough.
Yeah, required a bit of focus and patience...

Yes, it's nicely done if it is fake.

That's the problem with most videos puporting to show ghosts and UFOs these days - if those faking them were willing to put in a bit more effort to use subtle techniques and generally tend towards the understated they could actually produce something a lot more weird and haunting (if you'll pardon the pun) rather than just add to the great internet rubbish heap. Like this one, for example...

Yes, it's nicely done if it is fake.

That's the problem with most videos puporting to show ghosts and UFOs these days - if those faking them were willing to put in a bit more effort to use subtle techniques and generally tend towards the understated they could actually produce something a lot more weird and haunting (if you'll pardon the pun) rather than just add to the great internet rubbish heap. Like this one, for example...
Oh for the days of proper hoaxing:

s-l16001.jpeg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29598792...ertRefreshRanker&_trksid=p4429486.c101224.m-1

Look where I've circled below - there is a green shape that fades in, moves around and then fades out

The whole sequence of apparent movement also starts earlier than I stated in my original post - around about the 0:40 mark.

…I actually quite admire this one for at least having a little subtlety.

Agreed.

Two points which l’d make:

a) An anonymous filmmaker being posted on a third party’s YouTube? My first rule of Fortean authenticity is “Cutout = :bs:

b) Ignoring the above, that is simply not a habitat where l would look for otters, so why did Anonymous choose to place her camera there?

Ignoring the “phenomenon”, my first thought on seeing that footage was that it would be ideal stock footage for background in a YouTube video (!) with a voiceover, or for a college art project with someone green-screened over it.

maximus otter

Last edited:
Back