• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

Indeed. I don't think she knew how much she was appreciated by so many of us. As far as I'm concerned, acceptance by the community is more important than agreeing with every admin decision. (I'd say that about the world at large, too, but that might be interpreted as a political statement.)

It might be worth saying that when she requested her account be deleted a year or so previously over a minor disagreement with another poster, we did not do so; we let her take a breather (because we all have moments where small things irritate us irrationally).

I was often 'tapped on the shoulder' by moderators over the years, usually by @stu neville diplomatically telling me to give the rules lawyering a break because it was giving the mods a headache. Did this irritate me? A little. Did I flounce? No, though a few days' break sometimes felt wise.

If, as ChasFink says, you want to be a part of a community (as opposed to just 'posting stuff'), there is a small amount of give and take required; and it really is a pretty small amount here—unless you have insufficient control over your own behaviour.

We even try to take real-world factors into account (those we know about) when addressing those splashing in the pool, but some people among us pretty much think they should be able to post anything anywhere 'Because it's important'.

I honestly think you'd simply be ejected without consultation by a great many other online communities if you pulled some of the stunts a few long-term members have pulled here over the years.

Being honest, as far as I can see on the public side, Ronnie Jersey was aggrieved because she liked Trev's jokes and his regurgiation of right-wing talking points that chimed with her own views about U.S. immigration. We are not interested in hosting 'any-wing' views on immigration, and if two medium-term members are the cost of maintaining that stance, we (I think I speak for the other mods) think it's a sound investment.

It might be worth saying that when she requested her account be deleted a year or so previously over a minor disagreement with another poster, we did not do so; we counselled her to take a breather (because we all have moments where small things irritate us irrationally).

I was often 'tapped on the shoulder' by moderators over the years, usually by @stu neville diplomatically telling me to give the rules lawyering a break because it was giving the mods a headache. Did this irritate me? A little. Did I flounce? No, though a few days' break sometimes felt wise.

If, as ChasFink says, you want to be a part of a community (as opposed to just 'posting stuff') there is a small amount of give and take required; and it really is a pretty small amount here—unless you have insufficient control over your own behaviour.

We even try to take real-world factors into account (those we know about) when addressing those splashing in the pool, but some people among us pretty much think they should be able to post anything anywhere 'Because it's important'.

I honestly think you'd simply be ejected without consultation by a great many other online communities if you pulled some of the stunts a few long-term members have pulled here over the years.

Being honest, as far as I can see on the public side, Ronnie Jersey was aggrieved because she liked Trev's jokes and his regurgiation of right-wing talking points that chimed with her own views about U.S. immigration. We are not interested in hosting 'any-wing' views on immigration, and if two medium-term members are the cost of maintaining that stance, we (I think I speak for he other mods) think it's a sound investment.
Very diplomatically put Yith. I've never understood those who won't play by the rules, in whatever arena, get repeatedly warned, and then throw a hissy fit when there are removed. Don't like the playground then play elsewhere.
RJ was going through what sounded like a horrendous time with her husband's serious illness, which can be mind blowingly stressful and may have affected her decision. Shame.

I'll be pleased if/when RJ returns. Despite mild differences of opinion, I rather liked her.
We have absolutely no problem with, or indeed quite like the vast majority of posters. However, if rules are impinged upon we have to consistently enforce them - as Yith alludes above, this is usually by means of a quiet PM, and in most cases that's that. The community here only see us enforcing stuff when it has to break the surface, which is thankfully quite rare.

But enforce we must.

@Schrodinger's Zebra, can I tempt you back with dancing and cake?

cake-with-slice-vert-edited-720x960.jpg
recipe-card-v2-edited-735x981.jpg
zebra-costume-running-man.gif
zebra-dancing.gif

I'm not about as much as I was, I know.

This is purely down to my upstairs laptop not having the forum loaded, so I have to wait until I get downstairs to my other laptop in order to read and post - which tends to be after I've done my writing and gone for my run. So if I'm missing for a few days, it's nothing personal, it's just that my 'noodling on the internet' time is spent upstairs* these days and I have to purposefully fire up the other laptop to check in. I really must get the forum on the other laptop.

*Just upstairs. Not upstairs upstairs. Where there isn't a laptop at all.

I personally miss both RJ and Trev (and one or two others further back who couldn't refrain from politics) . They didn't just post on politics.

I myself struggle not to stray out of bounds at times, not least because my view of things is in some respects out of line with the current zeitgeist and to some extent,, as advertised on UK TV what seems a lifetime ago,, everything s politics.

But I'm pretty sure arguing about politics on here is not going to change anyone's mind, and it just leads to even more aggravation than enforcing the rules. The mods have set pretty clear guidelines, and anyone who disagrees can go play elsewhere - which is what I do when I want to vent something inappropriate on here.

Just upstairs. Not upstairs upstairs. Where there isn't a laptop at all.
What? You haven't got a laptop on every floor? hmmm not as posh as I thought you were then!

When I had a four story house laptops weren't so much a thing but home computers were and there were several on each floor!!

Ok ok it was because my house was full of student lodgers ha! ha! (Now that was an interesting stage of my life which is good to look back on but I'd hate to have to relive it! My lodgers treated me as a Mother Confessor!)

Anyway Catseye as well as here you inhabit my 'outer space' zone, you are now and forever linked to all things 'astronomy' ever since you explained that your avatar wasn't a bead work embroidery as I'd initially thought. Any news stories about distance galaxys and all the wonderful photos of outer space now have a neural pathway in my head straight to you! :)

PS My house didn't have any understairs cupboards at all let alone an upstairs understairs cupboard. The only door that looked like it could lead to a cupboard was actually a hobbit type door that led to the basement kitchen and coal cellar so it did have it's own magic of sorts even if no fortean forumites were living it in ha!ha!

This is purely down to my upstairs laptop not having the forum loaded, so I have to wait until I get downstairs to my other laptop in order to read and post - which tends to be after I've done my writing and gone for my run. So if I'm missing for a few days, it's nothing personal, it's just that my 'noodling on the internet' time is spent upstairs* these days and I have to purposefully fire up the other laptop to check in. I really must get the forum on the other laptop.

I will provide cake when @catseye and @Ronnie Jersey grace us with their wonderful presence.

funny-cake-fails-201-6141e9f789f82__700.jpg

Eh? Don’t you have a browser on your upstairs laptop?

Eh? Don’t you have a browser on your upstairs laptop?
I didn't. I use it just for writing and don't want distractions, so I disconnected it from the internet.

As this morning's earlier appearance may have told you, I've now reconnected it and logged in from the upstairs laptop.

Best zebra cake ever. But I think one of those dancing zebras might not actually be a real zebra. I could be wrong. Perhaps expert analysis is required.

Maybe it's like African and Indian elephants? Or maybe Bactrian and Dromedary camels?

I agree, we need an expert to look at this...

It's more like he ambles in after a month away and asks why his inbox is full of complaints about us.
To be fair, all I said in my reports to him was that;

Gordon was permanently drunk on whisky.
You scare me.
MercuryCrest is laid back on the finest lsd that would make Owsley Stanley III think twice, and
Yith is having yet another midlife meltdown.

To be fair, all I said in my reports to him was that;

Gordon was permanently drunk on whisky.
You scare me.
MercuryCrest is laid back on the finest lsd that would make Owsley Stanley III think twice, and
Yith is having yet another midlife meltdown.

Fair comment, although Gordon is mostly sober, while sleeping.

Back