• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

Can we talk straws? Ok plastic straws are the work of the devil himself but the paper straws we get instead are useless. They are mush halfway down the drink. Now in the olden days we had paper straws that didn’t disintegrate. Where they wax coated? Surely that would break down. It’s not as if paper straws actually get recycled, they are too small which is why I assumed plastic ones couldn’t just be recycled.

Can we talk straws? Ok plastic straws are the work of the devil himself but the paper straws we get instead are useless. They are mush halfway down the drink. Now in the olden days we had paper straws that didn’t disintegrate. Where they wax coated? Surely that would break down. It’s not as if paper straws actually get recycled, they are too small which is why I assumed plastic ones couldn’t just be recycled.
Why not do away with straws altogether. Do you really need a straw to drink?

Thats crazy money I could not afford a lecky car that's for sure though I have always fancied one,
Just for comparison We run a 06 Fiat Panda multijet Diesel bought 3 years or so back for a grand
with 21000 miles on the clock it now as 33000 up.
Car £1000
Insurance £285 fully comp a year
MOT £60 ish a year
Rd Fund £25 a year
Fuel £7.09 a gallon it has averaged 74 mpg since I got it so 9P a mile not a clue what a lecky costs per mile.
so don't think I will be changing anytime soon it may even see out my driving days.

Fiat crop.jpg

Mentioned earlier by another poster, but some more details here:

John Lewis has stopped offering insurance to electric car drivers amid fears over the cost of repairs.

Electric cars can be particularly expensive to repair, costing around a quarter more to fix on average, compared to a petrol or diesel vehicle.

Particular worries surround the batteries, which are commonly mounted on the floor of the vehicle. This placement can make it more likely that it will be damaged even in a minor accident such as mounting a kerb.

...around half the low-mileage electric vehicles [an auction platform] has salvaged have suffered minor battery damage.

The battery is also generally the most expensive part of an electric car and can account for as much as 50pc of the vehicle’s value, costing between £14,200 and £29,500.

Experts also say there is a shortage of technicians with the skills to carry out repairs.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/bills/insurance/john-lewis-stops-insuring-electric-cars/

maximus otter

Mentioned earlier by another poster, but some more details here:

John Lewis has stopped offering insurance to electric car drivers amid fears over the cost of repairs.

Electric cars can be particularly expensive to repair, costing around a quarter more to fix on average, compared to a petrol or diesel vehicle.

Particular worries surround the batteries, which are commonly mounted on the floor of the vehicle. This placement can make it more likely that it will be damaged even in a minor accident such as mounting a kerb.

...around half the low-mileage electric vehicles [an auction platform] has salvaged have suffered minor battery damage.

The battery is also generally the most expensive part of an electric car and can account for as much as 50pc of the vehicle’s value, costing between £14,200 and £29,500.

Experts also say there is a shortage of technicians with the skills to carry out repairs.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/bills/insurance/john-lewis-stops-insuring-electric-cars/

maximus otter
But that is from the Telegraph they do have a rather right wing libertarian focus

The technology is not perfect by any means but as time goes by it will become better and better and the infrastructure will grow

But that is from the Telegraph they do have a rather right wing libertarian focus

The technology is not perfect by any means but as time goes by it will become better and better and the infrastructure will grow
Probably best not to introduce a political element.
Facts can't be cast aside just because a newspaper may be perceived to have a bias.

But a bias can 'spin' said facts. In fact, the news outlets - of any political leaning - are adept at emphasising some facts, while downplaying or ignoring others.

Well for the first time today I have actually seen a lecy car being charged on our local carpark
I was beginning to think they would never be used.

Recently went to Saltburn-by-Sea for the day. The car park had three charging points, and two of them were being used.

We have 8 been there for mouths but first time I’ve seen them used though I do see a good few lecy cars

We have 8 been there for mouths but first time I’ve seen them used though I do see a good few lecy cars
I think a lot of people with electric cars are the people that can charge them at home. The people that have the luxury of not having to park them on the road.

Why not do away with straws altogether. Do you really need a straw to drink?
Costo have ditched straws. They've changed the lids for the cups to add a drinking slot. However, it's still easier to drink without the lid on.

Patience, dear boy. Patience.
I note that you like to use the word 'impeccably' when describing left-wing bias in the media. Chill out - very few mainstream media organisations are even-handed, completely honest and an impeccable source.
Me, I don't class the Grauniad as left-wing, more middle-class.

Patience, dear boy. Patience.
I note that you like to use the word 'impeccably' when describing left-wing bias in the media. Chill out - very few mainstream media organisations are even-handed, completely honest and an impeccable source.
Me, I don't class the Grauniad as left-wing, more middle-class.

giphy.gif

maximus otter

Marshals are being brought in to police 'charge rage' rows between electric vehicle drivers

Marshals have been brought in to police 'charge rage' between drivers of electric vehicles at motorway service stations.

The boss of Britain's largest motorway service provider said long waits for plug-in points made drivers 'very angry and stressed'.

Moto chief executive Ken McMeikan warned the UK's motorway service stations are facing growing 'public disorder' due to a lack of grid connections preventing him from installing enough car chargers to meet the surge in demand.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ic-vehicle-drivers-motorway-power-points.html

maximus otter

Marshals are being brought in to police 'charge rage' rows between electric vehicle drivers

Marshals have been brought in to police 'charge rage' between drivers of electric vehicles at motorway service stations.

The boss of Britain's largest motorway service provider said long waits for plug-in points made drivers 'very angry and stressed'.

Moto chief executive Ken McMeikan warned the UK's motorway service stations are facing growing 'public disorder' due to a lack of grid connections preventing him from installing enough car chargers to meet the surge in demand.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ic-vehicle-drivers-motorway-power-points.html

maximus otter
Like I am tired of saying the idea is not bad at all, but the infrastructure is just not ready, lots of places that could benefit from charging points can not do so because the power infrastructure needs upgrading, some people think you can keep plugging things in, and the infrastructure can take it, it can not as many public and commercial building owners are finding out to their cost you have to upgrade the power supply coming in. and that's before we talk about extra generating capacity

Again I repeat it would have been far more sensible and practical to switch to plug in hybrids and gradually change over as the infrastructure developed

Each news outlet has its bent - some are more obvious than others.

That said, any outlet that uses the term 'woke' in a derogatory sense loses me.

Any outlet using "woke" in any sense, other than the past tense of the verb to wake, loses me.

It's somewhat humorous that 'woke' and 'awake' have come to mean two belief systems at the opposite end of the spectrum.
The 'awake' credo is a new one on me Cochise - Australia IS Murdoch country after all...

'Woke', like 'Political Correctness' and 'liberal' is most used in a derogatory sense by people who either don't know or don't care about the origins. It's a label for something they don't like, nothing more. Like 'gammon', 'redneck', 'chinbeard' or whatever, they're just labels, generalisations, which don't add to debates. It's like swearing without actually using swear words: everyone knows what they mean but it's meant to be polite.

'Woke', like 'Political Correctness' and 'liberal' is most used in a derogatory sense by people who either don't know or don't care about the origins. It's a label for something they don't like, nothing more. Like 'gammon', 'redneck', 'chinbeard' or whatever, they're just labels, generalisations, which don't add to debates. It's like swearing without actually using swear words: everyone knows what they mean but it's meant to be polite.
I guess we all remember being schoolkids. If an offensive word was banned we'd simply invent another one. It's unstoppable.

The 'awake' credo is a new one on me Cochise - Australia IS Murdoch country after all...
'Awake' is the term used for those who don't buy the Covid-19 narrative. There is again (that word spectrum) a range from those who think the crisis was mishandled to those who think the whole thing was deliberately caused by people who want the planet depopulated.

Back