• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

OOPArts: Out Of Place Artefacts & Archaeological Erratics

I'm looking at that meteorite and, and in my head, seeing it hitting atmosphere - having worked with brazing rods and acetylene (oxyacet) for a good part of my life, and being aware of metal running when placed in a jet of superheated air, it raises a few questions about applied heat, slump factors, and specific heat of individual metals, which roughly hews that meteorite.

I don't know the complete story of why and what (I bain't no metallurgist), but that protrusion and the shape of the protrusion (the way it stands proud of the body) has me somewhat disquieted.

The way I've seen metal run is due to an applied uniform heat, and the quality of that individual metal. When you have a bi-metal object the result is always one metal will run before the other.

I'd love to hear an understandable explanation as to why my mental meandering is skew whiff.

I'm looking at that meteorite and, and in my head, seeing it hitting atmosphere - having worked with brazing rods and acetylene (oxyacet) for a good part of my life, and being aware of metal running when placed in a jet of superheated air, it raises a few questions about applied heat, slump factors, and specific heat of individual metals, which roughly hews that meteorite.

I don't know the complete story of why and what (I bain't no metallurgist), but that protrusion and the shape of the protrusion (the way it stands proud of the body) has me somewhat disquieted.

The way I've seen metal run is due to an applied uniform heat, and the quality of that individual metal. When you have a bi-metal object the result is always one metal will run before the other.

I'd love to hear an understandable explanation as to why my mental meandering is skew whiff.
I think the explanation is quite simple; it is not a uniform substance, it is a conglomeration of stone and metallic material. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stony-iron_meteorite

Also - does "Silver" mean Silver, or just silver-like in colour?
Indeed - that's a crucial distinction, but note that the strong inference from the Ancient Origins website (op cit, my post previous page) is that it is silver, or a metallic alloy of that element (ie potentially approximating to 'Native' silver, albeit exogeological in origin)

Screenshot 2022-02-26 223707.jpg

They do rather skip over this precise point, but I think in the above paragraph, that does appears to be their literal meaning. An awkward factor is that elemental silver should melt at around half the maximum temperature attained by meteorites on atmospheric entry (961 degC vs 1650 degC, but I don't know if that's an inevitable threshold, or a worst-case ablative trajectory roasting.

I am a physicist and astronomer by trade
Excellent! Your secret is safe with us all, and your responses on this topic are extremely welcome.

I'm very-unfamiliar with meteorites, especially as so graphically (and interestingly) presented by you in these pictures. Would you agree with me that these look very: homogenised? Whilst the NWA869 meteorite looks very aggregated , with the evident exception of the inclusion (perhaps that's an impression that's exaggerated misleadingly by the photograph).

A curious & frustrating aspect is the mention of the spectrographic analysis of the meteorite main component, with *their* quote, not mine, appended below:

<begins>
Screenshot 2022-02-26 223528.jpg

<ends>

(back to me again:)

Clearly there's no "Ag" spike, on what I presume has been some form of gaseous petrographic spectrometer testing of the main artifact.

But, annoyingly, there's no spectrographic plot specifically for the quasi-silver inclusion itself (despite their bold assertion / published statement that it's NOT composed of any of the elements shown along the elemental relative atomic weights axis).

Certainly silver (at a *much* heavier 107g, almost double the AW of iron at 55g) would be away out to the right on that (apparently-linear) keV scope scale. Are we (they?) saying 'Native' Silver isn't ever an inclusion hitch-hiker in other known meteorites?

(Ah, 'Other posts have been made'.....shall go and read 'em)

Last edited:
As an appendum (derived from your 'Stony-Iron' link, many thanks @Amergin ) I found this truly-fascinating Wiki page : Glossary of meteoritics (which, as a non-tangential aside, intriguingly appears not to contain the word 'silver' in the body of text) .

But I love this:

Regmaglypts – thumbprint-sized indentations in the surface of larger meteorites formed by ablation as the meteorite passes through a planet's atmosphere, probably caused by vortices of hot gas
Screenshot 2022-02-26 234200.jpg

Regmaglypts is now my second-most favourite meteoritic term.....! (after 'anomalous inclusion', that is)

The apparent artifact certainly looks interesting and suggestive, but rare natural phenomena can produce unusual shapes.
Most certainly- that much we know.

And they're being very brave/partisan with the statement:

"...it begs the question(s): who made it?"
(my emphasis added)

In any case...we can always hope or pray for new knowledge and unscheduled truths to come from the skies, irrespective of their scale.

If you Google bikini (go on - as if you needed an excuse) it will say the iconic two-piece beach wear was invented in 1946:

bikini.png

... and yet this Roman mosaic from the Villa Romana del Casale in the Sicilian town of Piazza Armerina, shows 10 bikini-clad young woman running, playing with beach-balls and palm leaves and toning themselves up with weights, in around the year 300 AD:

bikini2.png

https://www.ancientworldmagazine.co...ikinis-mosaic-villa-romana-del-casale-sicily/

If you Google bikini (go on - as if you needed an excuse) it will say the iconic two-piece beach wear was invented in 1946:

View attachment 53410

... and yet this Roman mosaic from the Villa Romana del Casale in the Sicilian town of Piazza Armerina, shows 10 bikini-clad young woman running, playing with beach-balls and palm leaves and toning themselves up with weights, in around the year 300 AD:

View attachment 53411

https://www.ancientworldmagazine.co...ikinis-mosaic-villa-romana-del-casale-sicily/
Even older than that - Raquel Welch would never lie.

I thought it was the Minoans

(when they weren't wearing frontless dresses.)

(And you wonder if some confused/enthusiastic young thing wore both at the same time?)

As wikipedia says it was named after Bikini Atoll site of the first atom bomb test as ' Réard hoped his swimsuit's revealing style would create an "explosive commercial and cultural reaction"' how long before "Ancient Aliens" theorises that this could be proof of the Minoans/Greeks/Romans witnessed an atomic explosion?
Santorini wasn't a volcano after all!
Aww! C'mon you guys at Ancient Aliens; give us a job.

A Nazi coin from an alternative future reality?

Whilst doing some building work in Mexico in 2018 (?), Diego Avilés found a mysterious and heavily worn coin.. Avilés explains that what caught his attention was when he read the inscriptions and saw the year 2039. Above the imprinted year is the Reichsadler Nazi Party symbol, along with Nueva Alemania, which translates to New Germany.

There is a state called Nueva Alemania, located in the Municipality of La Concordia (in the State of Chiapas). But there is no record of the arrival of any Nazi currency, whether past or future.

coin.PNG

https://cmcdistribution.com.vn/en/p...-from-2039-in-mexico-sparks-bizarre-theories/

Whilst doing some building work in Mexico in 2018 (?), Diego Avilés found a mysterious and heavily worn coin.. Avilés explains that what caught his attention was when he read the inscriptions and saw the year 2039. Above the imprinted year is the Reichsadler Nazi Party symbol, along with Nueva Alemania, which translates to New Germany.

There is a state called Nueva Alemania, located in the Municipality of La Concordia (in the State of Chiapas). But there is no record of the arrival of any Nazi currency, whether past or future.

View attachment 58552

https://cmcdistribution.com.vn/en/p...-from-2039-in-mexico-sparks-bizarre-theories/
It may not even be a date. It may simply be that that was the 2039th coin/medallion/etc issued.

The problem there is that the obverse appears to have the word 'Independent' on it, which in German is 'unabhängig'.
The heavy wear could be obscuring the Spanish for 'Independent' which is 'independiente' but it doesn't really look like it.

Whilst potentially-interpretable as a fascinating concept, these image(s) of coin(s) are extremely unconvincing.

I'm not in the least bit certain that these are actual physical objects: to me, these are simply digital artworks.

The 'wear' on these purported coins is highly-unrealistic, and appears similar to the effect visible on stressed aluminum alloy medallions (a dark surface oxide powdering), plus is inconsistent in terms of wear upon anterior surface versus background. There is no true impression imparted of a real 'cold struck' coin or medal, nor are the design ratios consistent with a real-world object.

The iconography/typography is unconvincing (even for an alternative / parallel reality). I call this as fan-fiction, some form of RPG prop (or film memorabilia tribute) in a 'Man in the High Castle' type of canon, but my best estimate for it really being an unreal reality is a 0.5 out of 10.

View attachment 58552

Could it be a coin minted in one of the various South/Central America independence wars using an indigenous American chronology? Both the Aztecs and Incas used Eagle and Condor imagery.

I think the text reads 'independencia y libertad'. The remaining space round the circumference is filled with stars. The coin doesn't seem to show a value. The regular coins of the 3rd Reich on Google don't use that version of the eagle. Some commemorative coins/tokens do use the Nazi party's straight-winged eagle though.

Curiously, 2039 will be the 150th anniversary of Hitler's birth. Did someone borrow Die Glocke and drop a commemorative coin from the future while they were here? It's probably just a hoax. :evillaugh:

View attachment 58552

I think it’s a very unconvincing fake, either real or digital. That Reichsadler looks all wrong, both in proportions and head orientation; and the date of 2039 is just a leetle too conveniently exactly 100 years after the outbreak of WWII.

A quick Google of 1933-1945 era German coinage suggests that where the Reichsadler was depicted, it tended to conform to the circular shape of the coin, i.e. wings partially folded:

X-2625_c2341-01_c.jpg

maximus otter

Last edited by a moderator:
This might explain a few other “mysteries”:

The Mystery Of The Modern "London Hammer" Found Encased In Ancient Rock

While walking along Red Creek, London, Texas in June 1936, Emma Zadie Hahn and her husband Max Edmond Hahn made an unusual discovery: a piece of wood poking out of what appeared to be an ancient rock formation.

The story goes that ten-ish years later, their son, who was clearly born with the merest hint of curiosity that they lacked, smashed open the rock to see what was inside. What he found was a hammer. Where it gets weirder is that it was clearly a modern(ish) hammer.

rock-hammer-m.webp

The answer, of course, was that the hammer was modern, but it had become encased in the rock by geological processes.

"The stone is real, and it looks impressive to someone unfamiliar with geological processes. How could a modern artifact be stuck in Ordovician rock?" investigator Glen J. Kuban asked in a 1997 paper on the hammer, published in Paleo.

"The answer is that the concretion itself is not Ordovician. Minerals in solution can harden around an intrusive object dropped in a crack or simply left on the ground if the source rock (in this case, reportedly Ordovician) is chemically soluble."

While an extremely cool find, the rock formation is not as ancient as it appeared. Likely a miner dropped the hammer a century ago, or perhaps a touch earlier, after which the rock formed around it. It was not, repeat, not, proof of The Flintstones.

https://www.iflscience.com/the-myst...on-hammer-found-encased-in-ancient-rock-67095

Wikipedia on the same item.

maximus otter

That explanation above posted by Max has put my mind at rest, I've long pondered on these " bells inside a piece of coal " and similar, this explains what really happens...... But wait, in the case of the bel in coal, doesn't coal only form over many 1000s of years??? So the above explanation works for most of these artifacts found in stone, but not for coal?

Edit - seems the bell has been debunked too.... No witnesses saw it was actually in coal... So it was probably found in ordinary rock formed as per the above explanation.

https://www.quora.com/Has-the-upshur-bell-found-in-100-million-year-old-coal-been-debunked

Last edited:
This might explain a few other “mysteries”:

The Mystery Of The Modern "London Hammer" Found Encased In Ancient Rock

While walking along Red Creek, London, Texas in June 1936, Emma Zadie Hahn and her husband Max Edmond Hahn made an unusual discovery: a piece of wood poking out of what appeared to be an ancient rock formation.

The story goes that ten-ish years later, their son, who was clearly born with the merest hint of curiosity that they lacked, smashed open the rock to see what was inside. What he found was a hammer. Where it gets weirder is that it was clearly a modern(ish) hammer.

rock-hammer-m.webp

The answer, of course, was that the hammer was modern, but it had become encased in the rock by geological processes.

"The stone is real, and it looks impressive to someone unfamiliar with geological processes. How could a modern artifact be stuck in Ordovician rock?" investigator Glen J. Kuban asked in a 1997 paper on the hammer, published in Paleo.

"The answer is that the concretion itself is not Ordovician. Minerals in solution can harden around an intrusive object dropped in a crack or simply left on the ground if the source rock (in this case, reportedly Ordovician) is chemically soluble."

While an extremely cool find, the rock formation is not as ancient as it appeared. Likely a miner dropped the hammer a century ago, or perhaps a touch earlier, after which the rock formed around it. It was not, repeat, not, proof of The Flintstones.

https://www.iflscience.com/the-myst...on-hammer-found-encased-in-ancient-rock-67095

Wikipedia on the same item.

maximus otter
My guess is that this hammer has been set into the stone: Why? Because of the clearly cut lines around the hammer which must have been cut before the hammer (iron-end) was placed into position. Then the wooden shaft could have been lightly hammered into the hole and into and through the hammers morticed hole.
Hammer.png

My guess is that this hammer has been set into the stone: Why? Because of the clearly cut lines around the hammer which must have been cut before the hammer (iron-end) was placed into position. Then the wooden shaft could have been lightly hammered into the hole and into and through the hammers morticed hole.
View attachment 62538
Nah. Used to work in a factory in a sandy area. Would always be finding hammers and nails and such that formed this same sort of concretion, and the orange red tint to the stone is a good indication of rust from the hammer.
Either they chiseled out the edges or it popped loose when they broke it open.

Back