• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Owzabout That Then? The Jimmy Savile Revelations & Aftermath

Nice to see Dr Sinason making money out of others misery. :x

Just watched HIGNFY on i-player,Saville bit at approx 26 mins. Prog info says first broadcast 14-1-2013, but that's not right, it was actually first broadcast 20-4-2012, before all the Saville scandal blew up.Obviously it really was known "inside" the business.

Bullseye_v2_0 said:
Just watched HIGNFY on i-player,Saville bit at approx 26 mins. Prog info says first broadcast 14-1-2013, but that's not right, it was actually first broadcast 20-4-2012, before all the Saville scandal blew up.Obviously it really was known "inside" the business.

The episode isn't on iPlayer anymore, what did they say exactly?

there were definitely rumours about Savile being a paedophile (David Mitchell alluded to them in his autobiography shortly before the scandal: "It's like Jimmy Savile and child molestation, it rings true without being true. He in no way subverted people's stereotypical image of a child molester, any more than I do their vision of a snooty swot") but I get the impression that most people saw them as an urban legend, sort of like Walt Disney being a Nazi or Elvis being abducted by aliens.

I've been reading various conspiracy/paranoia sites lately, where people spend endless hours 'joining the dots'. i.e. attempting to find links between celebrities and known criminals to demonstrate the existence of conspiracies.

There's a big scandal in the offing about a London guest house which famous men and senior MPs would allegedly visit to abuse young boys. It has already been reported in the media in quite a low-key way.

Some of the names associated with it are powerful indeed. I'm saying no more.

Bullseye_v2_0 said:
Series 43 episode 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq03y_LT ... sults_main

09;16 ish

First aired 20th April 2012

A hamster was thought to have died and was buried. It then dug its way out of its little grave as it was really alive after all. The Chair then makes a feeble joke about kids not needing to worry as this can't happen to Jimmy Savile.

The camera cuts away to Paul Merton and we see him making a shocked face. I'm wondering, why's there such a long shot of him at that point? His can't have been the mot interesting reaction as you can hear other contestants snorting and guffawing. Perhaps 'shocked' was still the official BBC reaction to denigration of Sir Jim at that point.

That clip precisely sums up why I hate HIGNFY.

escargot1 said:
I've been reading various conspiracy/paranoia sites lately, where people spend endless hours 'joining the dots'. i.e. attempting to find links between celebrities and known criminals to demonstrate the existence of conspiracies.

There's a big scandal in the offing about a London guest house which famous men and senior MPs would allegedly visit to abuse young boys. It has already been reported in the media in quite a low-key way.

It seems to have surfaced in The Independent, escargot:

Cyril Smith & Friends

. . . unless this is a different story. I really can't keep up! :gaga:

escargot1 said:

You could almost believe some are "wealthy and powerful" enough to buy their innocence, but surely that could'nt happen, could it?.

Jimmy Saville, Cyril Smith, DLT, Stuart Hall, Jim Davidson, Freddy Starr.
probably others I can't remember, all involved in some way in child abuse allegations, but until charged and convicted in court, all presumed innocent as they should be.

It all looks like a bit of distraction to me.
And the speed with which they have been interviewed begs the question 'What do the police know and more importantly when did they know it?'

Meanwhile, there are extraordinary allegations against a deceased member of the royal family and an Irish childrens home.

mmm.

smokehead said:
Meanwhile, there are extraordinary allegations against a deceased member of the royal family
mmm.

Talking about Lord M.........

SameOldVardoger said:
smokehead said:
Meanwhile, there are extraordinary allegations against a deceased member of the royal family
mmm.

I'm no great defender of the royal family, dead or alive. but I've never seen any sort of evidence that that Mountbatten was a child abuser. Not even circumstantial evidence, just assertions.

Neither have I, the only reason I remember it was because the book I was reading about the troubles took an abrupt left turn and made allegations about him.
My suspicion is that the police may have had allegations about the people mentioned for some time, it's only now in the wake of the Saville controversy that they are following them up.
It still feels a bit 'look at these guys, not those guys' why not well known insurance salesman Iggy Pop for example? quoted in the book Please Kill Me in his own words as having a 13 year old girlfriend.

smokehead said:
Neither have I, the only reason I remember it was because the book I was reading about the troubles took an abrupt left turn and made allegations about him.
My suspicion is that the police may have had allegations about the people mentioned for some time, it's only now in the wake of the Saville controversy that they are following them up.
It still feels a bit 'look at these guys, not those guys' why not well known insurance salesman Iggy Pop for example? quoted in the book Please Kill Me in his own words as having a 13 year old girlfriend.

There was certainly something odd about the whole Kincora affair though. Two Loyalists were killed just before they were due to be questioned by the RUC regarding th case. The Rev Robert Bradford MP, his bodyguard was conveniently absent; and the paramilitary leader John McKeague.

This was some years back, my ex wife is Irish and so I began to understand the troubles were a little more complex than the black and white issue often portrayed by the media.
I picked the wrong book, I wanted a more general insight, and the author was a journalist who had obviously been right at the centre of it all.
The problem is that the credibility of the author gave weight to the allegations about Mountbatten, and being so incongruous in a book which contained great detail about various events, it stuck in my mind.
Otherwise I am still totally ignorant about the troubles and can add nothing of substance or debate anyone about them.
Which of course is not to say I am not interested in any information or informed speculation about this issue.

The credence given to the idea of an organised ring of celebrities that has surfaced in the Savile fallout certainly makes me thing again about some of the wilder online theories I read a few years back regarding the Holly Greig case and certain Scottish political figures, and one particularly outlandish one connecting it to a very dark and tragic historical event in the country.

Sadly, that case seems to have been successfully stifled as there was/is always very little mention of it in the press.

When the Savile stuff broke last year, Private Eye did hint that any number of journos over the years had been warned off various stories when they got a bit too close. Hislop has also said that there had been myriad allegations, which most within the industry would have heard, but what was lacking was proof - and no editor, let alone proprietor was going to risk reporting basd on hearsay alone.

Which does of course suggest a lot of connections in high places - but connections don't necessarily mean fellow active participation (though there must be some reason to shield such reprehensible activities..I mean, I'm loyal to my friends, but if I discovered one was involved in abuse I'd shop them. No question.)

NeilE said:
I get the impression that most people saw them as an urban legend, sort of like Walt Disney being a Nazi

Getting a bit off topic here, but prominent members of Walt Disney's animating team such as Art Babbitt have testified that he attended several meetings of the pro-Nazi American German Bund, whatever his motivations were for doing so.

Bullseye_v2_0 said:
Series 43 episode 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq03y_LT ... sults_main

09;16 ish

First aired 20th April 2012

Yes, I remember that quip at the time, thinking it was rather loaded with innuendo.

There were some references in literature, too, see Val McDermid's Jacko Vance (which she's since confirmed was based on Savile) and Irvine Welsh's Freddy Royle characters.

There's no nice way of putting it but I'll try: in Welsh's book Trainspotting, main character Renton imagines performing a very specific sexual act on Savile to delay the crucial moment during intercourse with a lady friend.

ramonmercado said:
SameOldVardoger said:
smokehead said:
mmm.

I'm no great defender of the royal family, dead or alive. but I've never seen any sort of evidence that that Mountbatten was a child abuser. Not even circumstantial evidence, just assertions.

Um, isn't that down to that old "joke" - something about his body being found on top of a b(u)oy?

LordRsmacker said:
ramonmercado said:
SameOldVardoger said:
smokehead said:
mmm.

Um, isn't that down to that old "joke" - something about his body being found on top of a b(u)oy?

Or how do you know Mountbatten had dandruff?

They found his head and shoulders on the beach.

I've just been reading the Wikipedia article on Geoffrey Hayes (from Rainbow). Post kid's TV his career slid a little.....

Hayes has recently admitted he had not been wise with his money, and had little left by the time Rainbow came to an end. After Rainbow was cancelled, Hayes continued to work in television and pantomime, but it was not enough to earn a living as an actor, so he took a job with the British supermarket chain Sainsbury's, before becoming a taxicab driver, which he is still doing today. Hayes starred in a humorous television advert about investing money, making fun of his fall from the top."

....but check out the final line.

In October 2011, Hayes was involved in a cycling accident which left him with a broken left leg. He was admitted to Leeds General Infirmary where he spent a week before being discharged. This led to him missing the funeral of Jimmy Savile.

Why mention that detail? We all know George was gay, Zippy had a speed habit and Bungle was closer than the average bear to Geoffrey - but where does Savile fit in to any of this?

It's so obvious to me now....

Has anyone checked the Savile estate for a large, brown bear suit?

CarlosTheDJ said:

....but check out the final line.

In October 2011, Hayes was involved in a cycling accident which left him with a broken left leg. He was admitted to Leeds General Infirmary where he spent a week before being discharged. This led to him missing the funeral of Jimmy Savile.

Why mention that detail? We all know George was gay, Zippy had a speed habit and Bungle was closer than the average bear to Geoffrey - but where does Savile fit in to any of this?

It's so obvious to me now....

Has anyone checked the Savile estate for a large, brown bear suit?
A fine example of the inference of, Guilt By Association.

Unproffessional Standards Department West Yorkshire website has much to say on Jimmy Saville and the police.
Hope this helps.

smokehead said:
Unproffessional Standards Department West Yorkshire website has much to say on Jimmy Saville and the police.
Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for that link. Its one of the best executed sites I've ever seen. Terrifying, though.

balding13 said:
smokehead said:
Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for that link. Its one of the best executed sites I've ever seen. Terrifying, though.

Link?

So. Without naming names, are we to assume that all that has come of this whole brouhaha is the carting off of a few sad old luvvies who may or may not have done anything wrong by the standards of the time?

No investigation of people in high places turning a blind eye? No questioning of why Edwina Currie thought him a suitable person to run Broadmoor? No reinvestigation of the links between children's homes and folk in high places? Zip? Zilch? Nada? Did I dream it all?

Back