Satanic Abuse Rumbles On?

GerdaWordyer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I find it amusing that the worst case of Satanic Abuse I am aware of is when one of my buddies who is a self declared satanist insisted I come to an experimental jazz gig and I hated it. After which I abused him, because I told him prior that I didn't like experimental jazz, but he said "this is different, you'll love it", but it wasn't and I didn't, and the only people enjoying the music were the musicians themselves.
:lolling::lolling:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Good to see in the latest FT one of the trolls who ruined lives in Hampstead when they accused a primary school of being run by Satanists has been sent to prison. The main organiser of the hate campaign remains at large, however (possibly in Spain).

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
Good to see in the latest FT one of the trolls who ruined lives in Hampstead when they accused a primary school of being run by Satanists has been sent to prison. The main organiser of the hate campaign remains at large, however (possibly in Spain).

That's gonna suck when they get flushed out after Brexit.

Sinason is massively overdue for a bowl of porridge... sadly do not expect she will ever get nailed.

Doris V. Sutherland

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Has anyone here come across the case of the Finders?

I'm currently researching the revival of "satanic panic" narratives from the 80s and 90s in the contemporary right-wing conspirasphere, and I came across a subject I wasn't previously familiar with. I'm wondering if anyone here has read about it.

Basically, back in the 80s two men from some sort of alternative lifestyle/countercultural commune were arrested on suspicion of abducting children, but it turned out that the kids belonged to the same commune as the men, and the parents confirmed that they were travelling with consent. From what I understand, the group itself had no name, but had tried to branch out into small businesses, one of which was named "The Finders" -- a name that was adopted by authorities and media to identify the group as a whole. (For the sake of simplicity, I'll be doing the same in this post)

Now, the conspiracy theory related to this group involves an accusation that the Finders were connected to the CIA, which halted the FBI's investigation into the group's alleged satanic/ritual child abuse. However, nobody seems to have produced any actual evidence to back up this accusation. This was reported in the press at the time, but as far as I can tell, it was quickly forgotten even within conspiracy circles -- until earlier this year, when the FBI website published a document from 1993 dealing with the case.

Now, I've seen multiple conspiracy blogs pointing to the document as smoking gun evidence that the CIA was involved with the Finders. But having read the entire thing myself (yes, all 300+ pages!) I can confirm that it's nothing of the sort -- it merely shows that the accusations were made but the FBI stated that it could find no evidence to back them up, information that was already in public.

Oddly, the document also includes two pages relating to the long-discredited allegations of Satanic abuse at the McMartin preschool. These are thrown in without any sort of context or explanation as to their presence. I've seen conspiracy blogs claiming that, somehow, these pages constitute an FBI admission that ritual abuse actually took place in tunnels below the preschool, or that the preschool was run by the Finders (I saw nothing in the document to back up this interpretation)

FWIW here's an article about the document at the Tallahassee Democrat, which reported on the controversy back in the 80s. Worth a look if only for the photos of the Finders members, who have some quite remarkable facial hair on display. A few other outlets, including Vice, have picked up on the story as a sort of proto-Pizzagate.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
Now, I've seen multiple conspiracy blogs pointing to the document as smoking gun evidence that the CIA was involved with the Finders. But having read the entire thing myself (yes, all 300+ pages!) I can confirm that it's nothing of the sort -- it merely shows that the accusations were made but the FBI stated that it could find no evidence to back them up, information that was already in public.
I completely concur with your analysis, but thousands of Ancient Alien Theorists decry your lack of imagination (but hey, f*** those sketchy MFs, amirite?).

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
There's far more evidence - proof, in fact - that Christian churches covered up multiple instances of child abuse by their priests and ministers than any supposed Satanic organisation. Some call this projecting by the would-be pious.

Little_grey_lady

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The next season of the excellent CBC radio podcast Uncover will be about the Satanic Panic. My ears are on the edge of their seats.

Thank you so much for recommending that podcast. I'm currently glued to it, and am horrified to discover it's still ongoing so I have to wait a few weeks for all episodes.

It's an absolutely horrifying and terrible account of a small community torn apart.

I was searching for some more information, from the children's pov. I would be interested to know what the children thought now - do they still believe it happened, or are they more likely to admit they were making it up? I didn't find much apart from this

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The next season of the excellent CBC radio podcast Uncover will be about the Satanic Panic. My ears are on the edge of their seats.

We have a Podcast thread where your recommendation would go down a TREAT!

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A brief article I've just come across giving a nice summation of the Satanic Panic of the 80's in America:

If you watch the news, you'll see no shortage of ridiculous things Americans believe. A number of people still believe former President Barack Obama is actually a Kenyan-born foreigner, despite producing a legitimate US birth certificate. There are large portions of the population who believe modern vaccines will cause children to develop autism, despite the only study that made such a claim being discredited, the author having his medical license revoked, and the CDC confirming there is no link. There are Americans who believe they've seen angels, Bigfoot, and unidentified flying objects.

Given all of this, is it really so surprising that in the 1980s huge swaths of the American people were genuinely convinced there was a global Satanic conspiracy that had infiltrated daycares and schools for the express purpose of molesting and sacrificing children to the devil himself?

No, not really. But that doesn't make the events that followed any less terrifying... especially when we consider that Americans are always looking for another bogeyman or scapegoat to blame their societal issues on.

https://vocal.media/criminal/what-was-the-satanic-panic

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Just a hoax.

Signs posted around Southern California's Big Bear Lake read: ATTENTION CAMPERS: Due to increased Satanic Cult activity in this area, camping is not advised until further notice. SEVERAL PETS HAVE BEEN REPORTEDLY SACRIFICED IN SATANIC RITUALS.”

You guess it! The signs are fake. Well, they're real signs but they weren't posted by the US Forest Service.

According to Big Bear Lake officials, "no known threats of these types of visitors in the area."

https://boingboing.net/2020/07/23/us-forest-service-posters-arou.html

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... There are several books on the subject. The Lure of the Sinister, by Gareth Medway, is very good although a little hard going in places. ...

Medway authored a 2001 Fortean Times article on the subject. The article has disappeared from the FT website, but it can still be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

Satan in Suburbia
How much reliance can we place on witness and victim testimony in the wake of the Satanic Ritual Abuse panics? Gareth J Medway traces the origins of a modern witch hunt.

By Gareth J Medway November 2001

https://web.archive.org/web/2008043.../features/articles/258/satan_in_suburbia.html

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I was very dismayed to read an article in The Herald newspaper today, about the anniversary of the Orkney child abuse scandal. It started out recounting the facts, then explained how the scandal harmed the standing of the social services, fair enough, then ended up saying that Satanists exist and are out to get your children so the whole thing was justified, which is grossly irresponsible and the reason this costly farce started in the first place. I know Scotland is a conservative country, but don't drag us back to the Dark Ages, please.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not so much an article on Satanic abuse, but how even mainstream companies, this time Proctor & Gamble got drawn into the Satanic panic of the 80's. It's from AtasObscura and is a fascinating read:

When 1980s Satanic Panic Targeted Procter & Gamble​

The company spent decades battling false claims that it was in league with the Devil.

IF YOU WERE ALIVE IN 1982, you might remember a very special episode of Phil Donahue’s talk show. On that day, the President of Procter & Gamble went on the program and admitted that the company supported the Church of Satan and that its logo contained Satanic symbols. Oh, it happened in 1985? Actually, others remember the episode airing in 1989.

The truth is, this never occurred. P&G has never had any connection to the Church of Satan. The Church itself describes the claim as “completely false.” But the truth has never stopped a good rumor from catching on.

To better understand the P&G rumor, it’s important to grasp its broader context. During the late 1970s through the late 1990s, a potent fear of Satanic cults, known as Satanic Panic, gripped the United States. Years of news and cultural touchstones like the Manson Family trial and The Exorcist had primed the country for this paranoia. In his seminal 1972 study, Folk Devils and Moral Panics, British sociologist Stanley Cohen coined the phrase “moral panic” in reference to events like this, which appear suddenly to threaten societal norms. These events are misrepresented in sensationalistic fashion in the media and eventually reporting on the subject comes to define it for the public.
Read the full story here: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/procter-gamble-satan-conspiracy-theory