• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

I have a few times hiked in very hot, humid swampy areas, and have seen big burps of gas released from the fetid water. I have felt sick after seeing these - headache, tiredness, nausea, confused - but can't attribute it to the burps. Again, it may have been caused by hiking in hot humid swamps. The burps are very weird.

I have a few times hiked in very hot, humid swampy areas, and have seen big burps of gas released from the fetid water. I have felt sick after seeing these - headache, tiredness, nausea, confused - but can't attribute it to the burps. Again, it may have been caused by hiking in hot humid swamps. The burps are very weird.
Mostly methane. It's not healthy to inhale it if the oxygen in the air is completely displaced by it, although it's not toxic.
A huge belch from a swamp might be enough to suffocate somebody.

Mostly methane. It's not healthy to inhale it if the oxygen in the air is completely displaced by it, although it's not toxic.
A huge belch from a swamp might be enough to suffocate somebody.
Methane is lighter than air so it would have to be a prolonged expulsion in order to suffocate someone, CO2 on the other hand is heavier than air and would be more likely to cause problems if a large 'belch' happened and you were in the vicinity.

Toxic algae leads to closure of river areas near where California family died​

• John Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter and dog found on 17 August
  • Official: bloom in Merced River can make people and pets sick
From The Guardian - here.

It seems unlikely that all four came into contact with algae I'd have thought. :(

It seems unlikely that all four came into contact with algae I'd have thought. :(
That might be the cover story until they find out what really happened.

Also there is a big difference between 'making you sick' and killing you in minutes.

If they were all found together it must have hit them all at once
and suddenly or at least one would likely made it for help,
what ever it was must have overcome them all very quickly.

Not necessarily though. Some slow acting poisons rob you of your abilities over a longer period of time.
AFAIK Carbon Monoxide dulls your senses and then makes you sleepy before you lose consciousness, eventually dying through lack of oxygen.

Not necessarily though. Some slow acting poisons rob you of your abilities over a longer period of time.
AFAIK Carbon Monoxide dulls your senses and then makes you sleepy before you lose consciousness, eventually dying through lack of oxygen.
I may not have been born at all, because of carbon monoxide. My parents twice got unlucky with hotels back in the 50s and got CO poisoning twice. I think that's why my Dad didn't like hotels and we always went camping.

RE: The Gerrish / Chung family deaths on the Savage Lundy Trail in California
If they were all found together it must have hit them all at once
and suddenly or at least one would likely made it for help,
As of this past Sunday the toxicology results are still pending, and the New York Times reported authorities have been looking into the possibility a lightning strike may have caused or contributed to the deaths.
Responding agencies treated the scene as a hazmat situation because of uncertainty about the cause of the fatalities, and everything from toxic algae to dangerous mine gasses to murder has been probed. According to a New York Times feature on the family, now lightning strikes have been added into the mix.

Law enforcement are "investigating possible lightning strikes in the area" at the time of the deaths, the Times reported.

According to the National Weather Service, being struck by lightning is "primarily an injury to the nervous system, often with brain injury and nerve injury. Serious burns seldom occur." Death, which is extraordinarily rare, can be due to cardiac arrest.
SOURCE: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/arti...-deaths-sierra-yosemite-mariposa-16436964.php

Not much come's on people quicker than that.

Last edited:
Add on to info re: the Gerrish/Chung family deaths: I listened to “Stuff They Don’t Want You to Know“ podcast of Aug 30/21 in which this incident was covered. The podcast mentioned that the father was found seated with the child and the mother was found at a distance further uphill, but not far, from her family. The podcast hosts posited that perhaps the mother felt that something was going wrong and had attempted to get away for help.

Russian emergencies minister dies trying to save a camera man who slipped off of the edge of a cliff the minister was being interview on.

"Russia's Emergencies Minister Yevgeny Zinichev has died in an accident during a big Arctic civil defence exercise.

The ministry said Zinichev, 55, had died in Norilsk while trying to save someone's life.

A cameraman had fallen off a cliff during an interview, according to Margarita Simonyan, the head of Russian broadcaster RT.

"He and the cameraman were on the edge of a cliff. The cameraman slipped and fell into the water," she said.

"Zinichev rushed after the fallen man and died after hitting a protruding rock." The cameraman, later named as film director Alexander Melnik, 63, also died."

https://www.bbc.com/news/58486791

Rolling Stones Tour Manager Mick Brigden Dies After Accident at Home While Digging Grave for Dog​

Mick Brigden, a tour manager known for his work with the Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan, died on Sunday following an accident at his home in Santa Rosa, California, according to his family. He was 73.

Sky News reported yesterday that a 70 year old man has been killed by a Jacuzzi dropped by a crane. Surely the most bizarre death one could imagine.

Sky News reported yesterday that a 70 year old man has been killed by a Jacuzzi dropped by a crane. Surely the most bizarre death one could imagine.
The Daily Mail provides the only news report I've seen so far ...
Elderly crane firm worker is killed after hot tub falls on him while being lowered into a back garden

A workman was killed today after being crushed by a hot tub which fell from a crane while being lowered into a back garden.

Emergency services were called to the Mangotsfield area of Bristol after the man in his 70s - who MailOnline understands was a member of the crane operating team - was struck and killed by the falling tub.

One lady whose house backs onto the garden said: 'They were lowering it into the garden. I heard a load of shouting and screaming.' ...

Another neighbour said: 'I think it clipped the wall. ...'

A police spokesman said: 'We were called at 9.26am today to assist the ambulance service at a residential address in Mangotsfield after a man was seriously injured by a heavy load which had fallen from a crane.

'Tragically, the man, aged in his 70s, was pronounced deceased at the scene. ...'
FULL STORY: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9986019/Hot-tub-falls-crane-kills-pensioner-70s.html

An associate professor at Boston University fell 20 feet to his death on Saturday when he slipped through a badly-rusted staircase near a subway station that had been closed to pedestrians for at least a year.

Dr. David K. Jones, an associate professor in the Department of Health Law, Policy and Management at the School of Public Health, was pronounced dead on the scene near the JFK/UMass T station in Dorchester on Saturday.

It remains unclear how he wound up on the staircase, which had been closed for 20 months because it is unsafe.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/b...gh-staircase/ar-AAOp7l6?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

= = = = =

A Texas woman fired a rifle through the wall of her home Friday, killing a man who had allegedly been peeping into her window, police said.

Houston Police responded to the 890 block of Irvington Boulevard around 11 p.m. to find a man suffering a gunshot wound to the torso outside the home, the Houston Chronicle reported. He was pronounced dead at the scene and his identity was not immediately released, KHOU reported.

A woman told police she had caught the man peeping through her bedroom window, so she grabbed her rifle and fired through the wall of her home several times, striking him at least once. He staggered a short distance before collapsing at the scene.
"There was an adult female that was in one of the bedrooms who observed him looking into her window. She was in fear. She had a rifle. She shot numerous times through the wall, ending up striking the male. The male ran a little ways and passed out over here. He is dead on the scene," Houston police Lt. R. Willkens told reporters who arrived outside the house Friday night. "We're being told it was a peeping Tom."
Police said the woman, who has not been named, is cooperating with investigators. Homicide detectives were expected to investigate the incident further and later determine if she will face any charges. She claimed to have fired in self-defense, and investigators initially said it did not appear that the woman and man had any relationship or knew one another, KTRK reported.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...droom-window/ar-AAOqKtS?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Mystery grows over black SUV in cornfield with 4 bodies inside, Wisconsin cops say

A cornfield in Wisconsin has become the setting of a grisly homicide investigation that bears more than a slight resemblance to a horror movie.

Four bodies were found in a “black SUV that was driven into a standing cornfield off of a rural road” and then abandoned, according to the Dunn County Sheriff’s Office.

The discovery was made Sunday afternoon in Sheridan in northern Dunn County

All four people in the SUV, which had Minnesota plates — two men and two women — died of gunshot wounds, officials said. They had been dead less than 24 hours.

The motive remains a mystery, and the investigation has yet to find anything linking the four people to the community.

The four victims have been identified as: Nitosha Lee Flug-Presley, 30; Matthew Isiah Pettus, 26; Loyace Foreman, 35, and Jasmine Christine Sturm, 30, officials said. Flug-Presley is from Stillwater, Minnesota, and the other three are from Saint Paul, Minnesota.

Two of the four were a brother and sister, and “one was a boyfriend of one of the other victims,” officials said.

https://www.bnd.com/news/nation-world/national/article254229133.html

maximus otter

Wouldn't happen here, we actually make our walls out of bricks and stuff.

giphy.gif

I own rifles in .223 (5.56mm) and .308 (7.62mm). I wouldn't care to stand behind a brick wall while someone fired them at said wall. Especially military style FMJ/ball.

maximus otter

Those good strong, well-built Texas houses then....

Wouldn't happen here, we actually make our walls out of bricks and stuff.
Techy was surprised when he visited New York and saw so many wooden buildings. The riverfront seafood restaurant where he was treated to dinner and drinks was washed away in the floods in the next winter with all its neighbours.

Those Native American tribes had the right idea with their demountable homes.

Techy was surprised when he visited New York and saw so many wooden buildings. The riverfront seafood restaurant where he was treated to dinner and drinks was washed away in the floods in the next winter with all its neighbours.

They built an estate in Crewe around mid 90s and the neighbour told me that they came with a ready-made wooden frame for the internal walls. I don't recall any problems and they weren't cold (although it was one of three and they were small, so they were insulated by the other houses to a degree).

They built an estate in Crewe around mid 90s and the neighbour told me that they came with a ready-made wooden frame for the internal walls. I don't recall any problems and they weren't cold (although it was one of three and they were small, so they were insulated by the other houses to a degree).
That's how they're done now.
Techy lived in one like that in Congleton. Everything was wood, like the Three Little Pigs. :chuckle:

I own rifles in .223 (5.56mm) and .308 (7.62mm).
My son does too.
Indeed they will make substantial craters in a red-brick wall, but I doubt they would penetrate a cavity wall, if they get through the outside wall then most of the kinetic energy would have been spent by the time it hits the inner wall.

Anyways, a brick wall is going to offer much more resistance than a pine frame covered in interior plasterboard and exterior cladding.

They built an estate in Crewe around mid 90s and the neighbour told me that they came with a ready-made wooden frame for the internal walls

Did anyone else envisage a Native American tribe turning up in Crewe to build a kind of wig-wam estate? Admittedly I was reading quickly but I suffered from a puzzling mental image for a while.

They built an estate in Crewe around mid 90s and the neighbour told me that they came with a ready-made wooden frame for the internal walls

Did anyone else envisage a Native American tribe turning up in Crewe to build a kind of wig-wam estate? Admittedly I was reading quickly but I suffered from a puzzling mental image for a while.
I was out with mum and dad the other week and we passed an area of light woodland that had 3 teepees people were living in, within it.

Back