Strange Deaths

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
"Gotten" is a perfectly good word to use in Scotland, like "outwith".

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Haha sorry, as i have said before, big fingers tiny key pad, along with in-built impatience (not checking before i post), that and no edit function on the android version of this MB. :p
Ooh, didn’t know there wasn’t an edit function on the Android version, thanks for the info.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
"Gotten" is a perfectly good word to use in Scotland, like "outwith".
Outwith is a totally brilliant word and I don’t know why the rest of the English speaking world doesn’t adopt it forthwith.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Ooh, didn’t know there wasn’t an edit function on the Android version, thanks for the info.
Well there isnt on my version :p
Screenshot_20210129-235940.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I remember this very well indeed, including the subsequent Daily Mirror front page photo of a policeman carrying the dead dog with the headline THE DOG OF DEATH.
Hmm undoubtedly a tragic case but as with most of these cases of 'man goes into sea/lake/river to rescue dog' the tragedy could hace been easily avoided for in most cases the dog makes its own way out of it predicament, did the police not think to call the coast guard, i know nowadays the police have very strict proceedures when it comes to entering dangerous situations, to the point where, i remember a few years back a copper refused to enter a knee deep boating lake to rescue somebody, learning from your mistakes is one thing, but it can go too far the other way.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Scottish transgender musician Sophie has died:
Obit

One for the Rest in Peace thread, but she apparently died in her home in Greece by climbing up to look at the full moon, then slipping and falling. What?! I'm not sure if that's poetic or bizarre. Only 34, though, no age.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Scottish transgender musician Sophie has died:
Obit

One for the Rest in Peace thread, but she apparently died in her home in Greece by climbing up to look at the full moon, then slipping and falling. What?! I'm not sure if that's poetic or bizarre. Only 34, though, no age.
Reminds me of the tragic death if Rod Hull, who slipped from his roof whilst trying to adjust his TV ariel to watch Man Utds champions league final game with Dortman in 1999.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the tragic death if Rod Hull, who slipped from his roof whilst trying to adjust his TV ariel to watch Man Utds champions league final game with Dortman in 1999.
At pretty much the same time Peter Purves had a very similar accident but it resulted in him breaking both of his ankles instead.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a.... corpse!

A man was killed at a baby shower in Michigan after a celebratory cannon exploded
By Amanda Watts and Scottie Andrew, CNN
Updated 2001 GMT (0401 HKT) February 8, 2021

A man died after a small cannon exploded at a baby shower held at a home in Gaines Township, Michigan, on Saturday, February 6.

(CNN)A man attending a baby shower was killed when a small cannon exploded in the back yard of a home near Flint, Michigan, police said.

Evan Thomas Silva, 26, died Saturday after he was struck by shrapnel from the cannon, which was fired to "celebrate the baby's pending arrival," Michigan State Police said in a statement.

When the cannon was fired by the homeowner, police said the cannon blew up, spraying metal shrapnel across the yard that struck Silva, three vehicles and the garage of the home in Gaines Township.

Silva was standing about 10 to 15 feet away from the cannon, and was the only person hit by shrapnel, police said. He was taken to a local hospital, where he died from his injuries.

Full Story:
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/08/us/man-killed-cannon-baby-shower-trnd/index.html

Ogdred Weary

Drag Queen of Dragons
Reaction score
It's a.... corpse!

A man was killed at a baby shower in Michigan after a celebratory cannon exploded

A man died after a small cannon exploded at a baby shower held at a home in Gaines Township, Michigan, on Saturday, February 6.

(CNN)A man attending a baby shower was killed when a small cannon exploded in the back yard of a home near Flint, Michigan, police said.

Evan Thomas Silva, 26, died Saturday after he was struck by shrapnel from the cannon, which was fired to "celebrate the baby's pending arrival," Michigan State Police said in a statement.

When the cannon was fired by the homeowner, police said the cannon blew up, spraying metal shrapnel across the yard that struck Silva, three vehicles and the garage of the home in Gaines Township.

Silva was standing about 10 to 15 feet away from the cannon, and was the only person hit by shrapnel, police said. He was taken to a local hospital, where he died from his injuries.

Full Story:
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/08/us/man-killed-cannon-baby-shower-trnd/index.html

"Guns don't kill people."

pandacracker

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's a.... corpse!

Full Story:

One in, one out.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Another heartbreaking story

Romania baptisms: Six-week-old baby's death sparks calls for change

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-55948364
There was a video going round a whole ago showing a baby being vigorously dunked in the font.

When I looked for it just now I came across one of a mother grabbing her baby back from a priest who was trying to immerse him.

The baby, unimpressed by the cold water, was screaming and fighting back. Goid for him.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Don't know if the death was strange, but the body was found on air by an Australian weatherman:
News story

(The footage is blurred deliberately out of respect). Oddly, there seems to be another body found nearby, the victim's friend. The man seems to be British, the woman Australian.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Don't know if the death was strange, but the body was found on air by an Australian weatherman:
News story

(The footage is blurred deliberately out of respect). Oddly, there seems to be another body found nearby, the victim's friend. The man seems to be British, the woman Australian.
Until he explained he'd stripped off i was thinking 'do all aussie weathermen do the forecast topless?'

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Gender-reveal device explosion kills father-to-be

A father-to-be from New York state has died after a device he was building for his child's gender-reveal party exploded, according to police.

Christopher Pekny, 28, was assembling the device in the town of Liberty when it exploded just before noon on Sunday.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-56159731

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

A father-to-be from New York state has died after a device he was building for his child's gender-reveal party exploded, according to police.

Christopher Pekny, 28, was assembling the device in the town of Liberty when it exploded just before noon on Sunday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-56159731

A spokesman for state police told the New York Times the device consisted of some kind of pipe, without giving further details.

There's your problem. Another amateur pipe bomb.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
That's the second of those that I've heard of. Just ridiculous.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-56159731
One of these went off on the right day in October 2019 in a gender reveal event and killed a guest. At least Pekny didn't take anyone else with him.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Ex Met Police Chief kills himself in car explosion

The man who died was named locally as Edwin Williams, who was in his 70s and was a former Detective Superintendent in the Metropolitan Police.

Mr Williams was said to have been involved in a series of disputes with neighbours and other villagers in Cavendish near Sudbury, Suffolk.

He had repeatedly complained about the noise of the bells at 14th century St Mary the Virgin's church in Cavendish.

Villagers heard a huge explosion and looked out to see Mr Williams' grey Hyundai IX35 estate car on fire at roughly 7.30am, with flames shooting up to 30ft in the air.

A villager said: "He was always falling out with people and was not a very popular man.

"He had various legal disputes with different neighbours over the years. He would complain about things like problems with drains and guttering causing damp in his house.

"But his biggest issue was with the church bells. Most people in the village love the sound of the bells, but he would repeatedly moan about them.

"He normally parks on his own driveway at the side of his house behind a set of gates, but it seems he started the fire after parking deliberately beside his neighbour's cars."

"Nobody could get near and people only realised that there was a body in the car when the firefighters arrived and dealt with the fire.

"He must have had something in the car to cause such a fierce fire and a big explosion."

1_PAY-car_cavendish_eans6.jpg

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Was it a suicide or something more like an attack that went horribly wrong? Or right, when he was the only person killed, maybe? Either way, he did not sound stable from that report.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A Russian hockey player has died after being hit in the head by a puck.
Russian hockey player Timur Faizutdinov, 19, dies after being hit by puck

A 19-year-old Russian hockey player has died after being hit in the head by a puck, his club announced in a statement on Tuesday.

Timur Faizutdinov, a defenseman for Dynamo St. Petersburg's junior team, passed away today after he was injured during a match in Yaroslavl, Russia, on March 12. ...

"Timur Faizutdinov was injured on March 12 in Yaroslavl during a match against Lokomotiv. The puck hit the head area, the player was hospitalized in serious condition. Doctors fought for his life for three days," the statement said. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/16/sport/russia-hockey-death-faizutdinov-puck-spt-intl/index.html