• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Exactly :) Toast made in a toaster is rubbish not proper toast at all. Under the grill is slightly better but even so. I don't know how to do roased chestnuts now I haven't got a fire. Baked spuds are better done in a fire as well ... once you've got it just right!
Oh yeah! I forgot about baked spuds done on the fire. There was a bit of hit & miss about cooking them. I seem to remember wrapping aluminum foil round at first then when they seem done, remove the foil & crisp up the skins by just laying them on the embers. Had to keep an eye on them & keep turning so they didn’t burn to feck, but when you got it right they were the best.

When I am in the Iron Age I am the Master of Fire. (Amidst other functions, such as Keeper of the Cows and the Big Boaster...)

But I have seen folk try to light a big log with a match...I itch to correct them, (everyone has an opinion on fire, note) but figure they are uneducationable.

Interestingly a lot of people in the past didnt know. I wont bore you with a disaster on one Irish island when their fire went out.

Save they had a VERY miserable winter...

Going back to the abolition of cash, one reason quoted is to deter crime. Oh yeah, pull the other one. Almost every measure to deter crime this century has put more burden on law abiding folk while opening up extra areas for the criminous and fraudulent to exploit.
Yep that's irony for you. I'm guessing that more electronic dosh is stolen by cyber crime/ scams than ever real cash was lost to crime. Criminals seem to able to disappear stolen electronic transactions easily.

Don't have a open fire though I can remember having one and setting the paper in front
used to make it draw on fire once or twice,
what I do have is one of these that I carry on long scooter runs it will boil water surprisingly
fast with just a few twigs and with the cooking kit will heat food in the pan that fits on the
exhaust, dry leaves from the headge row and bits of twigs, pine cones are natures fir lighters.

https://www.kellykettle.com/medium-...sk_8gxRLjbAK_Bby2JKaFPZ3ya7HJiHBoChlIQAvD_BwE

Don't have a open fire though I can remember having one and setting the paper in front
used to make it draw on fire once or twice,
what I do have is one of these that I carry on long scooter runs it will boil water surprisingly
fast with just a few twigs and with the cooking kit will heat food in the pan that fits on the
exhaust, dry leaves from the headge row and bits of twigs, pine cones are natures fir lighters.

https://www.kellykettle.com/medium-...sk_8gxRLjbAK_Bby2JKaFPZ3ya7HJiHBoChlIQAvD_BwE
Long scooter runs - nostalgia. Sadly too old now to ride Lambrettas around.

More likely cash will replace kindling. You will have money to burn.

This was actually done during the hyperinflation of the Weimar Republic in Germany:

burning-money-1920s-german-inflation-science-photo-library.jpg

weimar-republic-hyperinflation-burning-money.jpg

maximus otter

I'm not sure if this the right thread to post this in and fortunately I'm not 'on the fiddle' but I am claiming Universal Credit at the moment. I've just read that the Department of Work and Pensions are now allowed access to my bank account to make sure I haven't got any undeclared savings. I haven't and I've been honest so I shouldn't have anything to worry about but I'm still not happy that any Tom, Dick or Harry can now snoop around in my account.

'Proposals in the Data Protection and Digital Information Bill will mean the DWP can ask banks and building societies to pass on information relating to accounts where benefits are paid in. It's part of a new crackdown on fraud and error in the welfare system, which reached £8.3 billion in 2022-2023.

Several benefits are already being checked for fraud and error but at the moment the DWP can only ask banks for access to accounts if a specific individual is already suspected of cheating the system. Pensions Minister Paul Maynard says the new measures will mean banks can do a broad sweep for signs of fraud - but only "minimal information" will be shared. He also detailed which benefits are to be targeted in the upcoming crackdown, which the DWP says will result in 74,000 prosecutions and 2,500 prison sentences in the first 10 years.'

And he said they will be looking at two main types of fraud. These are where people have too much stashed away in savings to be eligible for benefits and other cases of so-called 'abroad fraud' where claimants are living overseas and are either not entitled to receive benefits or are in countries that are not eligible for annual pension increases.

The minister, who is Conservative MP for Blackpool North and Cleveleys, issued the new details in response to a written parliamentary question from Sir Stephen Timms, Labour MP for East Ham and chair of the Work and Pensions Committee.

Mr Maynard said: "Fraud is a growing problem across the economy, accounting for over 40 per cent of all crime in 2022. This problem exists in the welfare system too, with fraud becoming increasingly sophisticated and on a scale not seen in the past. The introduction of the third party data measure is key to helping DWP tackle and reduce fraud and error which amounted to £8.3bn last year (2022-23).

"The legislation is clear that the proposed power can only be used to help establish eligibility for DWP benefits that are being paid to individuals. This power requires third parties to look within their own data and provide relevant information to DWP that may signal where DWP claimants do not meet the eligibility criteria for the benefit they are receiving. This data may signal fraud or error and require a further review by DWP – through business-as-usual processes - to determine whether wrongful payments are being made.

"Only minimal information will ever be shared by designated third parties with DWP where there is a three-way relationship - between DWP, the claimant and the third party - to enable us to make further enquiries. No personal information will be shared by DWP with third parties."

He went on to explain which benefits the DWP would - and could not - target in the strict new rules. "DWP cannot exercise this power in relation to Child Benefit, because Child Benefit is not a DWP payment as the legislation sets out," Mr Maynard said. "Last year, DWP administered payments of £230.5 billion through the welfare system and we know the vast majority of these claims are paid correctly and accurately. Our measure will only impact a minority of people who are potentially receiving more money than they are eligible to receive.

"As the Regulatory Impact Assessment sets out, the initial use of this power will be focused on identification of potential capital and abroad fraud and error in Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit and Housing Benefit (passported from Pension Credit) cases. Failure to declare or under-declaring capital is consistently in the top causes of Fraud and Error and cost £894 million in Universal Credit overpayments, £138m in Pension Credit and £167m in ESA in 2022-23. The current powers DWP has are limited and leave the Department unable to address this challenge at scale. The third-party data gathering measure will enable DWP to better access relevant data which will help identify fraud and error in the system."

'And he said other benefits could be brought on board in future. Mr Maynard said: "As trends in fraud and error change, it is right we have the ability, in the future, to exercise this power across all benefits and payments that are administered by DWP. Affirmative regulations, and a statutory Code of Practice, will need to be brought forward before the Department can use these powers to define the specific data holder in scope and to outline other elements relating to the use of the power."'

Now I know a lot of people reading the above will be thinking "If you've got nothing to hide then you've got nothing to worry about.". I've got nothing to hide but I feel these new powers are open to abuse in the future if the government can now 'pop in and out' of my private bank account at their leisure.

I'm not sure if this the right thread to post this in and fortunately I'm not 'on the fiddle' but I am claiming Universal Credit at the moment. I've just read that the Department of Work and Pensions are now allowed access to my bank account to make sure I haven't got any undeclared savings. I haven't and I've been honest so I shouldn't have anything to worry about but I'm still not happy that any Tom, Dick or Harry can now snoop around in my account.

'Proposals in the Data Protection and Digital Information Bill will mean the DWP can ask banks and building societies to pass on information relating to accounts where benefits are paid in. It's part of a new crackdown on fraud and error in the welfare system, which reached £8.3 billion in 2022-2023.

Several benefits are already being checked for fraud and error but at the moment the DWP can only ask banks for access to accounts if a specific individual is already suspected of cheating the system. Pensions Minister Paul Maynard says the new measures will mean banks can do a broad sweep for signs of fraud - but only "minimal information" will be shared. He also detailed which benefits are to be targeted in the upcoming crackdown, which the DWP says will result in 74,000 prosecutions and 2,500 prison sentences in the first 10 years.'

And he said they will be looking at two main types of fraud. These are where people have too much stashed away in savings to be eligible for benefits and other cases of so-called 'abroad fraud' where claimants are living overseas and are either not entitled to receive benefits or are in countries that are not eligible for annual pension increases.

The minister, who is Conservative MP for Blackpool North and Cleveleys, issued the new details in response to a written parliamentary question from Sir Stephen Timms, Labour MP for East Ham and chair of the Work and Pensions Committee.

Mr Maynard said: "Fraud is a growing problem across the economy, accounting for over 40 per cent of all crime in 2022. This problem exists in the welfare system too, with fraud becoming increasingly sophisticated and on a scale not seen in the past. The introduction of the third party data measure is key to helping DWP tackle and reduce fraud and error which amounted to £8.3bn last year (2022-23).

"The legislation is clear that the proposed power can only be used to help establish eligibility for DWP benefits that are being paid to individuals. This power requires third parties to look within their own data and provide relevant information to DWP that may signal where DWP claimants do not meet the eligibility criteria for the benefit they are receiving. This data may signal fraud or error and require a further review by DWP – through business-as-usual processes - to determine whether wrongful payments are being made.

"Only minimal information will ever be shared by designated third parties with DWP where there is a three-way relationship - between DWP, the claimant and the third party - to enable us to make further enquiries. No personal information will be shared by DWP with third parties."

He went on to explain which benefits the DWP would - and could not - target in the strict new rules. "DWP cannot exercise this power in relation to Child Benefit, because Child Benefit is not a DWP payment as the legislation sets out," Mr Maynard said. "Last year, DWP administered payments of £230.5 billion through the welfare system and we know the vast majority of these claims are paid correctly and accurately. Our measure will only impact a minority of people who are potentially receiving more money than they are eligible to receive.

"As the Regulatory Impact Assessment sets out, the initial use of this power will be focused on identification of potential capital and abroad fraud and error in Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit and Housing Benefit (passported from Pension Credit) cases. Failure to declare or under-declaring capital is consistently in the top causes of Fraud and Error and cost £894 million in Universal Credit overpayments, £138m in Pension Credit and £167m in ESA in 2022-23. The current powers DWP has are limited and leave the Department unable to address this challenge at scale. The third-party data gathering measure will enable DWP to better access relevant data which will help identify fraud and error in the system."

'And he said other benefits could be brought on board in future. Mr Maynard said: "As trends in fraud and error change, it is right we have the ability, in the future, to exercise this power across all benefits and payments that are administered by DWP. Affirmative regulations, and a statutory Code of Practice, will need to be brought forward before the Department can use these powers to define the specific data holder in scope and to outline other elements relating to the use of the power."'

Now I know a lot of people reading the above will be thinking "If you've got nothing to hide then you've got nothing to worry about.". I've got nothing to hide but I feel these new powers are open to abuse in the future if the government can now 'pop in and out' of my private bank account at their leisure.
Ironic that the pensions minister comes from Blackpool a town which must be at the top of the list for all scams and benefit fraud and where DWP has one of their largest offices.

Apologist: It’ll never happen.
Cynical Member of The General Public: Nudge, Nudge. Indication of desired direction of travel.

Buy some gold sovereigns and keep them in a safe place.

I'm old scool and I use cash for most basic transactions when I'm out....my dad taught me this so you wouldn't have a bill later on.
I only use credit card when its a spontaneous purchase or dont have enough cash on me. It also comes in handy when bargaining at record stores or antique shops....cash is often king in those situations. So....I for one would really miss that option here in the US.

Apologist: It’ll never happen.
Cynical Member of The General Public: Nudge, Nudge. Indication of desired direction of travel.
I'm no apologist for the shower we have at the moment.
The ministers are floating an idea to see if there's any support for it. If it is widely criticised it's quietly dropped and never makes policy.

Me, I use mainly debit card and use my phone app to keep an eye on my bank balance. I've always a tenner or so in my wallet just in case but, frankly, I've not needed cash for quite a while now. I'm still 'trained' by years of using the business account when we were charged a fee for taking out cash. Another 'effect' of having a business account was getting change for the float. We couldn't go into the Post Office (there's no bank branches here) give 'em a £20 note and ask for a bag of £1 coins - you had to pay in the £20 then withdraw £20 in coin. With the resultant fee, of course.
All the downsides to the way personal banking is going has already been applied to firms for a while now. That's why most times, it's cheaper for firms to take card transactions.

Weird you should mention Dylan Thomas. I've just been accepted for a creative writing course (about 20 minutes ago over the phone) and Dylan Thomas's Under Milkwood has always been an inspiration to me.

Excellent stuff Swifty - your acceptance and your inspiration. LLareggub is the original Royston Vasey.

Not sure how that would help if you've got a bit stashed away in say premium bonds. ?

Remember when parking was just a simple matter of putting a coin in a meter and leaving the ticket on the dash? Well ‘progress’ has made it a lot more complicated than that.

Hackers steal customer data from Europe’s largest parking app operator​

Owner of RingGo and ParkMobile says data including parts of credit card numbers taken in cyber-attack

EasyPark Group, the owner of brands including RingGo and ParkMobile, said customer names, phone numbers, addresses, email addresses and parts of credit card numbers had been taken but said parking data had not been compromised in the cyber-attack.

The company did not say how many of its users had been affected, beyond detailing that 950 RingGo users in the UK were involved. A spokesperson said “the majority of users affected are users in Europe on the EasyPark brand”, which suggested that the data of thousands of customers had been compromised.

The hack highlights the increasing centralisation of parking services across the world, as apps, websites and automated phone lines replace physical meters and parking attendants. Operating machines is much more expensive but they do not require personal data to make payments and can be used by people who rely on cash, such as many older drivers.

The central collection of location data is particularly sensitive because it could be used to physically track people.

EasyPark has said it is Europe’s biggest parking app in terms of coverage. The company and rivals such as the Volkswagen-owned PayByPhone and JustPark in Europe and ParkWhiz and SpotHero in the US are racing to cover as much of the world as possible, often incurring steep losses while snapping up competitors.
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...europe-parking-app-easypark-ringgo-parkmobile

Back