• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I've done my bit - at a couple of markets and events, we swapped our dog treats for other traders products - like 2lb of ostritch bugers once.

So have we! Swapped a taxi trip to take staff from a very swanky local restaurant to the airport for a dinner for two in same establishment.

I totally decided that if there was something like an atomic bomb event, I would not be the one to run to a "safe" place. After all, I might be alive, but I would still have an afterwards with what? I decided that I would sit on a rooftop and watch the devastation come in.
At school in the early 60s we had civil defence lessons on how to survive a nuclear war. By the time the 80s arrived I think it had dawned on people the utter futility of such an endeavour. Raymond Briggs' graphic novel 'When the wind Blows' perfectly summed it up.
The shortage of cash following a major event of some sort, maybe on the face of it doesn't sound so bad a problem but it wouldn't take long for things to get uncomfortable no matter if you had read learnt and inwardly digested one of those 'no grid survival projects' type books and stocked up on the stuff.

I think there is a kind of paranoid vanity in some people, the population of the UK is over 67 million 12.4 million of them are children, why would anyone one to track anyone of them except is they were suspected of criminal activity other than that they are not that interested in individuals, the shops use the data for lots of reasons and most of it is anonymous, if I pay by card the business claims the money from my bank account they don't have open access to all my details nor is there an individual record of what I have purchased (unless I have used a loyalty card)

But the combined data of 67 million individuals on a macro level is very valuable!

Big computing power can crunch all that big data into insights that have commercial and governmental power (note government with a small 'g' - any government!)

Supermarket loyalty cards may make use of data that is anonymised, and collated, but at least they make a pretence of 'paying' us for that data with coupons and offers.

Amazon and Google have truly stuck their fingers up to us when it comes to always-listening devices (eg., Alexa) that a) the consumer is somehow persuaded to buy and b) don't compensate the customer for giving what is, effectively, an audio data recorder.

I grew up in the 70's so the threat of "the big one" was constantly (to me) discussed in media.

I totally decided that if there was something like an atomic bomb event, I would not be the one to run to a "safe" place. After all, I might be alive, but I would still have an afterwards with what? I decided that I would sit on a rooftop and watch the devastation come in.

The older I grow, this hasn't really changed. I'm just much more realistic about outcome. Would I survive a total societal collapse? Most likely not. I don't have the skills. I know a few edible wild plants and some poisonous plants, but can't even start a fire.:worry:

People born in later years have even fewer survival skills.
Starting a fire's a fire's easy. Tiny stuff like paper, then twigs then gently breath on it. Don't blow on it or you'll blow the flame out. Then larger twigs/branches then back off .. let the heat build up .. like a clitoris .. then you chuck bigger stuff on it with patience. Fire.

But the combined data of 67 million individuals on a macro level is very valuable!

Big computing power can crunch all that big data into insights that have commercial and governmental power (note government with a small 'g' - any government!)

Supermarket loyalty cards may make use of data that is anonymised, and collated, but at least they make a pretence of 'paying' us for that data with coupons and offers.

Amazon and Google have truly stuck their fingers up to us when it comes to always-listening devices (eg., Alexa) that a) the consumer is somehow persuaded to buy and b) don't compensate the customer for giving what is, effectively, an audio data recorder.
With most websites a screen comes up about data collection. I always click on the option to change or choose the settings I want which always is no to as much as possible. Sometimes I looked the incredible number of companies that the data would be shared with. One website I used provided data to over 200 companies.

My point is that data collection is big, big business. As yet I've no got the the heart of why there are so many data collecting businesses and what do they actually do with that data and how much is it worth financially.

If cash is abolished and it's looking that's going to happen as the Central Bank Digital Currency has already been set up as an entity, I've read that data could be what digital currency will be based on because then these data companies will know everything about what you buy, where you go, etc.

Starting a fire's a fire's easy. Tiny stuff like paper, then twigs then gently breath on it. Don't blow on it or you'll blow the flame out. Then larger twigs/branches then back off .. let the heat build up .. like a clitoris .. then you chuck bigger stuff on it with patience. Fire.
What?

. I don't have the skills. I know a few edible wild plants and some poisonous plants, but can't even start a fire.:worry:

People born in later years have even fewer survival skills.
There’s not really any skill. There’s many means of making fire. A battery spark with some steel wool. Your glasses or a magnifying glass focussing the sun’s rays. Flint and steel and tinder. A flint and the back of a knife. A clipper lighter. A zippo and keep some lighter fuel handy.
It often amazes me on these survival shows when they’re trying wood friction and bow drills on a desert island and there’s a guy watching with glasses on and it could be done with no effort at all.

Honestly, get a cheap flint and steel from a camping shop and have a go.
Making fire is the most basic and satisfying achievement a human can do.

Last edited:
With most websites a screen comes up about data collection. I always click on the option to change or choose the settings I want which always is no to as much as possible. Sometimes I looked the incredible number of companies that the data would be shared with. One website I used provided data to over 200 companies.

My point is that data collection is big, big business. As yet I've no got the the heart of why there are so many data collecting businesses and what do they actually do with that data and how much is it worth financially.

If cash is abolished and it's looking that's going to happen as the Central Bank Digital Currency has already been set up as an entity, I've read that data could be what digital currency will be based on because then these data companies will know everything about what you buy, where you go, etc.
Here’s a link to CBDC

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/the-digital-pound

I’m not getting it - doesn’t seem any different to me than using your phone or bank card to pay for stuff. There must be something I’m missing. Whether you pay as ‘virtual/transfer’ via phone/card or ‘digital’ via digital pound wallet transfer, the result is the same. What’s the point of it?

It’s not going to replace cash

If we introduced it, it would not replace cash. We know being able to use cash is important for many people. That’s why we will continue to issue it for as long as people want to keep using it.

The bank says

A digital pound is likely to be needed to fulfil our mission

I’m not sure what that mission is though, other than what every bank’s mission is - maximising profits.

So have we! Swapped a taxi trip to take staff from a very swanky local restaurant to the airport for a dinner for two in same establishment.
Nice one - they should look after you well & give you a quality dinner for that. Let us know what the meal was like.

I think the clitoris is a bit of a distraction here.
I think that it's sensual, not sexual .. it's not sexual to blow carefully onto a flame so it ignites. That's how we can slowly light a fire. I apologise if you find my analogy offensive but .. I had male and female customers chucking logs onto glamping fires before lockdown and they were just chucking lit matches on top of logs? .. they didn't have a clue .. it was depressing to watch .. a growing fire needs to be slowly built. Feel free to avoid my analogy.

Here’s a link to CBDC

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/the-digital-pound

I’m not getting it - doesn’t seem any different to me than using your phone or bank card to pay for stuff. There must be something I’m missing. Whether you pay as ‘virtual/transfer’ via phone/card or ‘digital’ via digital pound wallet transfer, the result is the same. What’s the point of it?

It’s not going to replace cash

The bank says

I’m not sure what that mission is though, other than what every bank’s mission is - maximising profits.
I don't really get it it either. I'm only repeating what I've heard, read and listened to by 'experts' who have no allegiances which all seem to be saying the same thing. The main point seems to be that the banking system as it stands will fail very soon and is failing now and something needs to replace it. One report of many I have read is that Wall Street will crash after Jan 1st as the Wall St traders get their bonuses on the 31st Dec. Is that true, I don't know.

I keep hearing about the 'fiat' system of cash, and the 'swift' banking system of transferring cash and it all being based on nothing other than numbers on a screen and then there is the petro dollar collapsing? Then there's more and more countries signing up to the Brics system of trading which means any countries signing up can trade in anyithing they choose to but whatever, the currency will be based on the value of gold and silver which allegedly it no longer is now. Regardless, the petro dollar has collapsed to zero which is easily verifiable.

I wish I was more more intelligent then maybe I would understand such things.

Last edited:
At school in the early 60s we had civil defence lessons on how to survive a nuclear war. By the time the 80s arrived I think it had dawned on people the utter futility of such an endeavour. Raymond Briggs' graphic novel 'When the wind Blows' perfectly summed it up.
"In the event of a nuclear attack, sit on the floor, put your head between your knees, and kiss your ass goodbye."

Yeah, I'm from that generation too. We didn't know if there would be a tomorrow. Seems preposterous now, but you could not avoid thinking about it.

"In the event of a nuclear attack, sit on the floor, put your head between your knees, and kiss your ass goodbye."

Yeah, I'm from that generation too. We didn't know if there would be a tomorrow. Seems preposterous now, but you could not avoid thinking about it.
I'll never forget the image of schoolchildren in a prop. film being shown how to shelter under their school desks in the event of nuclear attack. (sorry thread drift Max). Were we that gullible back then?

Or you could drink enough to forget about it. That's my excuse, anyway.

Going back to the abolition of cash, one reason quoted is to deter crime. Oh yeah, pull the other one. Almost every measure to deter crime this century has put more burden on law abiding folk while opening up extra areas for the criminous and fraudulent to exploit.

I'll never forget the image of schoolchildren in a prop. film being shown how to shelter under their school desks in the event of nuclear attack. (sorry thread drift Max). Were we that gullible back then?
It's more likely that TPTB thought we were that gullible.

I think that it's sensual, not sexual .. it's not sexual to blow carefully onto a flame so it ignites. That's how we can slowly light a fire. I apologise if you find my analogy offensive but .. I had male and female customers chucking logs onto glamping fires before lockdown and they were just chucking lit matches on top of logs? .. they didn't have a clue .. it was depressing to watch .. a growing fire needs to be slowly built. Feel free to avoid my analogy.
I am amazed that so many people haven't the first clue about making a camp fire.
I grew up having to make bonfires and light a fire in the grate. Before central heating was widely available, people had fires, log burners, coal burners... and they had these basic skills.

I am amazed that so many people haven't the first clue about making a camp fire.
I grew up having to make bonfires and light a fire in the grate. Before central heating was widely available, people had fires, log burners, coal burners... and they had these basic skills.
Some people seem to have an innate ability, though. In my biker days we had a member, known as Brain (because in most circumstances he didn't exhibit any) who could light a fire in a damp forest in the rain.

I can light a fire myself, same situations as you mention. had to light fires at home and of course bonfires were much more frequent back then. But Brain could light one anywhere anytime.

What ever the idea behind digi currency is you can bet it won't be to Joe Public's advantage,
you may think it is but ultimately poor old Joe will get right royally screwed yet again.

:omr:

I suppose at the end of the day, it’s not how you poke it, it’s making a fire in the first place.
I was shown firelighting duties at a very early age and given the job of starting them when I was about 9. The hearth was the soul of the home. Beside the fire was an oven and it also ran a back boiler supplying hot water to the house so it was important to get it going first thing.
After raking out all the old cinders, we twisted newspapers for use as the base kindling. For some reason, these twisted sheets of newspaper were called Calabashes. On top of these were placed a few sticks and then some coal… but not TOO much to smother everything. Firelighters were an unacceptable cheat to starting the process.
So matches to light the paper at the left and right, and then watching the process take place. Once the fire started crackling, we then brought The Bleezer into play.
The Bleezer is a sheet of metal with a handle on the front which was placed on the front of the fire to encourage a flow of air underneath the grate and up the chimney, producing a roar a blacksmith would be proud of. If it didn’t take at first, it was usually because there was a special door downstairs that needed to be open. More often than not, we’d put newspaper across the bleezer to improve the efficiency and watch it like a hawk. The newspaper would dry and reach a brittle state before catching fire and bursting into floating flaming embers and this was something you did not want. I became as adept as a Spanish Bullfighter at whipping the broadsheet newspaper away at the very last moment.
Fire lit, another few bits of coal added and the guard was put in place. The reward was the proximity to the first warmth on a cold day.

I suppose I’m mentioning this as a slice of life in a Northern Town in the sixties and a part of life that may soon be forgotten. Even in the 80s, a friend living with a bunch of students in Gateshead simply couldn’t light a fire and had been shivering in their cold rooms all week until I turned up. The Bleezer is an archaic thing seemingly undeserving of mention despite the vital role it played in heating every home.

Above all, being taught to light fires at an early age gave me respect for the damn thing but also a fascination almost bordering on magic as it took hold.

Oddly, it seems we still retain a deep need for living flames in the house with candles available and flickering everywhere.

TL-DR - Boy make fire!

Last edited:
... After raking out all the old cinders, we twisted newspapers for use as the base kindling. For some reason, these twisted sheets of newspaper were called Calabashes..
My Grandad showed me how to make those. I spent a summer showing yuppies how to do it just before lockdown. Labelling them all as yuppies is a bit unkind. It's not as if fire making skills was a daily priority for them and I was in charge of a glamping field. The gentle slow breathing onto the start of the flames was the key but that was inside log burners inside yurts.

Firelighters were an unacceptable cheat to starting the process.
Oh agreed ... we looked down on people who used them!

Like you I had the fire lighting routine and when we eventually got our council house in the early 60's we thought we were in the lap of luxury as it had a back boiler for hot water and an oven beside it. In our cottage we'd just had to make do with a trivet that went over the fire.
We didn't have a bleezer (what a brilliant name) and had always to use the newspaper method if the fire didn't get going. As you said there's a special knack of knowing just before it burst into flames!
In the 90s I moved into a house in the wilds of Wales and after years of gas central heating found myself back with the fire lighting, raking out the grate, lugging in the coal routine as we had coal fired central heating. I got it down to a fine art!
The only source of heating in the cottage I moved to after that was a wood burning stove.
I'm now back with gas fired central heating as the chimneys have been blocked off in my current home but if I come onto the dosh I'm going to reopen them as I do feel insecure without a proper fire I did try to persuade the landlord but no joy :(

I suppose at the end of the day, it’s not how you poke it, it’s making a fire in the first place.
I was shown firelighting duties at a very early age and given the job of starting them when I was about 9. The hearth was the soul of the home. Beside the fire was an oven and it also ran a back boiler supplying hot water to the house so it was important to get it going first thing.
After raking out all the old cinders, we twisted newspapers for use as the base kindling. For some reason, these twisted sheets of newspaper were called Calabashes. On top of these were placed a few sticks and then some coal… but not TOO much to smother everything. Firelighters were an unacceptable cheat to starting the process.
So matches to light the paper at the left and right, and then watching the process take place. Once the fire started crackling, we then brought The Bleezer into play.
The Bleezer is a sheet of metal with a handle on the front which was placed on the front of the fire to encourage a flow of air underneath the grate and up the chimney, producing a roar a blacksmith would be proud of. If it didn’t take at first, it was usually because there was a special door downstairs that needed to be open. More often than not, we’d put newspaper across the bleezer to improve the efficiency and watch it like a hawk. The newspaer would dry and reach a brittle state before catching fire and bursting into floating flaming embers and this was something you did not want. I became as adept as a Spanish Bullfighter at whipping the broadsheet newspaper away at the very last moment.
Fire lit, another few bits of coal added and the guard was put in place. The reward was the proximity to the first warmth on a cold day.

I suppose I’m mentioning this as a slice of life in a Northern Town in the sixties and a part of life that may soon be forgotten. Even in the 80s, a friend living with a bunch of students in Gateshead simply couldn’t light a fire and had been shivering in their cold rooms all week until I turned up. The Bleezer is an archaic thing seemingly undeserving of mention despite the vital role it played in heating every home.

Above all, being taught to light fires at an early age gave me respect for the damn thing but also a fascination almost bordering on magic as it took hold.

Oddly, it seems we still retain a deep need for living flames in the house with candles available and flickering everywhere.

TL-DR - Boy make fire!

I am around 10 years behind you age-wise but also had fire-laying duties in rural Somerset in the very late 70s into the early 80s - we had a Parkray fire with a backboiler for hot water and I was trusted to lay the fire & light it from around age 9/10. We used firelighters though, as my Ma was a single parent, also working almost full-time for several years so time was of the essence once we had all finished work/school and cycled home from her village factory (Somerset had a tradition of glove-making for over a century and a half).

10 years later and my Ma & Step-Pa bought a lovely old 1920s house which had an open fire in one room and used sometimes - he innovated the current method favoured by yours truly - a butane gas camping cylinder blowtorch.

iu

Nae messin'! - as they might utter in Hibernia *

I live in a 21st century house but it was built in a village and features a basic open fire. Yes, it's a bit of a faff/mess but when you live near open countryside and can access free wood** it's free heating - cardboard, papers, rags, anything non-plastic gets burned on it.

* @Frideswide could you please confirm is this phrase Scottishly-attributable?

** Of course I only burn legally-permissible kiln dried logs and smokeless fuel. I wouldn't think about burning dried prunings, old pallets, solid wood scrap furniture or off cuts from the sawmill ;)

Last edited:
We burnt coke - smokeless- rather than coal but the lighting method was similar to Analogue Boy’s. Never had a Bleezer but the broadsheet newspaper did the trick in getting it going. Telegraph I believe.

Once it was glowing nicely it made the best toast. Roasted chestnuts were a treat as well.

Once it was glowing nicely it made the best toast.
Exactly :) Toast made in a toaster is rubbish not proper toast at all. Under the grill is slightly better but even so. I don't know how to do roasted chestnuts now I haven't got a fire. Baked spuds are better done in a fire as well ... once you've got it just right!

Last edited:
Back