• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

I have just been reminded of the advert for Lee Cooper jeans in the U.K. in the late '70's. So I had a look at the following advert on You Tube.

I swear blind that the advert featured dummies with glowing eyes riding a waltzer. Am I wrong?

Also, this advert would fit right into the Haunted Generation stuff:

The Mandela effect that really weirded me out was the Kurt Cobain fluffy coat one.
Many people (including myself) remember a particular image of Mr Cobain wearing a hat with ear flaps, large white sunglasses and a furry pink jacket. Back in the early 90s that image was everywhere. My friend at the time was a big fan and had that particular image hung on her bedroom wall. I remember it clearly.
Apparently it doesn’t exist.
what does exist is this image which is the same apart from him wearing an animal print jacket.
8931FDFC-39EE-41AA-AF92-F28FD5FE4E00.jpeg

When I look at this image it is just wrong to me. He should be wearing a pink fluffy jacket like this…
6A480107-DA25-40C2-9BB2-07991C754627.jpeg

That is the jacket I see when I remember this image.
(I was genuinely going to say that it absolutely blows my mind, but realised it’s possibly not the best choice of phrase to use in this instance)

There appears to be some photos of him in those sunglasses, wearing a pink leathery jacket. I imagine those images have been conflated.

Maybe it's because the common image of Kurt in repose was wearing a woolly jumper? Striped one.

I have just been reminded of the advert for Lee Cooper jeans in the U.K. in the late '70's. So I had a look at the following advert on You Tube.

I swear blind that the advert featured dummies with glowing eyes riding a waltzer. Am I wrong?

Also, this advert would fit right into the Haunted Generation stuff:

This fairground one -

Yes but funnily I recall it differently. I think my memory is conflating different Lee Cooper adverts.

Now I think about it I'm almost sure that the version I am thinking of was banned shortly after being shown on TV. They received a load of complaints that it was frightening kids. The end scene showed the dummies on a waltzer that spun around and showed their faces and glowing eyes at the end.

I reckon that it was the first version of the 1977 advert, because it was trying to tap into the 'punk' thing and was quite dark for an advert. I recall watching it and then it stopped being shown.

Because most people don't call it that, or even recognize it as a distinct sea. As Wikipedia says about the name:
Our local TV meteorologist often mentions the Celtic Sea. Just because it's not next to London, or some major northern city, nobody cares about it! :(

Our local TV meteorologist often mentions the Celtic Sea. Just because it's not next to London, or some major northern city, nobody cares about it! :(
I find it a bit baffling how it got called the Celtic SEA ~ when it sits within the open Atlantic Ocean - let alone why it got the tag of Celtic when it's miles from those areas, unless it's anything to do with the depth of the water?

"Sea" is a relatively fuzzy and elastic geographic label.
... In general, a sea is defined as a portion of the ocean that is partly surrounded by land. Given that definition, there are about 50 seas around the world. But that number includes water bodies not always thought of as seas, such as the Gulf of Mexico and the Hudson Bay.

Moreover, in some cases, a sea is completely landlocked. The Caspian Sea is the most famous example, though this sea, which lies between Russia and Iran, is also referred to as the world’s largest lake. Other seas surrounded by land include the Aral Sea and the Dead Sea. They contain saltwater and have been called seas for many years, but many oceanographers and geographers are more inclined to call them lakes.

Still, that leaves dozens of water bodies that fit the traditional definition of a sea, even though they can be quite different from one another. A sea can be more than 2.6 million square kilometers (1 million square miles) in area, such as the Caribbean Sea. Or, it can be as tiny as the Sea of Marmara, which is less than 12,950 square kilometers (5,000 square miles) in area. This tiny Turkish sea connects the Aegean Sea and the Black Sea. ...
https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/sea/

1972 Munich Games were the first Olympics I was old enough to really take an interest in. My mum had flown out to her sister (formerly in the W. German national Gymnastic Team) who had tickets and I did a class essay on the terrorist attack on the Israeli camp. I watched an incredible basketball final on telly where the countdown clock got to zero and the US were jubilant winners - 'no no' said the Ref, 'still 3 seconds of play on my watch'. 2 seconds later and the USSR were jubilant gold medal winners. I also felt sick when a weight-lifter's leg muscle in the Clean and Jerk 'popped' (more like exploded). This all I remember. Just as clearly I remember in the final round-up, the medal table dominated by the likes of the USA, USSR, East Germany etc and a commentator filling time by saying 'now let's look at the table with the medal points divided by the respective populations. Clearly at the top by a huge margin is the tiny Pacific Norfolk Island which won a silver in the Shooting earlier on.' 'Coo' I thought, (the medal having been mentioned previously).
Nearly 50 years later I see a fuss made of Bermuda (pop ~62,000) winning a gold and San Merino (pop ~32,000) getting medals so I went looking the Norfolk Island (pop ~1,700) medal from '72 - doesn't exist. I'm not getting confused with the Commonwealth Games, I realise that Norfolk Island athletes have been in both the Australian and New Zealand Olympic teams, but I cannot find a shooting medal (rifle or pistol shot) for any of these countries in 1972 (or 1976). Why would my brain come up with a country that no-one then (including me) even knew where it was exactly?

Looking up a memory from the 70's, i put "Looking Through Gary Gilmour's Eyes" into the search box. Inagine my surprise to discover the song has apparenrtly been re-spelt as "Looking Through Gary Gilmore's Eyes".

Apparently it's been "Gilmore" all along, as the original deceased mass murderer was called Gary Gilmore. But I'm sure I saw it listed in the pop charts as "Gilmour". Ah well. Mandela'd.

When I first saw the video for Bobby McFerrin's Get Don't Worry Be Happy I recognised Robin Williams and thought the other bloke was Christopher Reeve. I believed this until reading only a couple of years ago that it's actually Bill Irwin.

Some part of my brain still won't have it though. Last week I saw a photo of Reeve giving Williams an award and read that they had been good friends all their adult lives, and I thought 'Yup, you can tell they had great fun doing Don't Worry Be Happy! But now they're both dead.'

Looked up the video, read once again about the cast, thought 'old on, 'old on, where's Christopher Reeve? Bill who?

It'll always be Christopher Reeve to me. :chuckle:

Looking up a memory from the 70's, i put "Looking Through Gary Gilmour's Eyes" into the search box. Inagine my surprise to discover the song has apparenrtly been re-spelt as "Looking Through Gary Gilmore's Eyes".

Apparently it's been "Gilmore" all along, as the original deceased mass murderer was called Gary Gilmore. But I'm sure I saw it listed in the pop charts as "Gilmour". Ah well. Mandela'd.

Maybe it's because 'Gilmore' isn't a common name, whereas everyone back then had heard of Dave Gilmour? Someone might've thought of that spelling in a musical context.

There was Peter Gilmore off of The Onedin Line on TV.

Gods damn, it's jsut happened again. Johnny Walker has just played this on Sounds of the Seventies. Chris Spedding? I always thought this was Tom Robinson, you know, 2,4,6,8 Motorway bloke.

Gods damn, it's jsut happened again. Johnny Walker has just played this on Sounds of the Seventies. Chris Spedding? I always thought this was Tom Robinson, you know, 2,4,6,8 Motorway bloke.

I remember it as being Chris Spedding. On another topic, Co Op Radio was playing 2,4,6,8 Motorway on Friday night - I was the ONLY person singing along in the entire shop!
"Sea" is a relatively fuzzy and elastic geographic label.

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/sea/
As is 'Celtic' too.

this is tangentially interesting here.

Spwending time on that methodically inconsequential site "TV Tropes" where the ideas and the trivial minutae of creative works are discussed, archived and categorised.

there's a feature called "You Know That Show?", where people post even the vaguest memories of a long-ago work and the hive-mind of tvt tries to identify it. Often it's a hazy, fading, memory from childhood and goes way back. It occured to me this might well be the Mandela Effect in action - reading down the submissions and the responses and wondering exactly how accurate the memories are, both of people who want to identify long-ago TV shows, and of the responses by those who think they can add further detail. There's also a hint of the Haunted Seventies to the memories of really old 1970's shows. This might be worth a browse by the right sort of researcher?

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/query.php?type=ykts

At roughly the same time there was an Australian Test cricketer called Gary Gilmour, which may have contributed to the confusion. I wouldn't be surprised if the song was mis-spelt at the time by various periodicals.

Going back 10 pages or so, I would say that the word opaque describes something which is in between transparent and unseethroughable/solid. So normal air is transparent but on a foggy day it becomes opaque.

Going back 10 pages or so, I would say that the word opaque describes something which is in between transparent and unseethroughable/solid.
Translucent?

Yep, always Chris Spedding for me!

Apologies if something like this has been discussed before.
I was recently in conversation with someone and they mentioned feeling that the sun had changed colour.
I looked at them in bewilderment and they told me to think back to my childhood, playing outside, and they asked me what I remembered the sun looking like.
My word, I realised, they were right.
I remember the sun from my childhood as a soft yellow ball of light, not the bright white blaze I see now in my adult years.
A quick search online showed that other people remembered it this way too. There were theories on what the answer may be, but nothing much that made sense to me.
So I find myself wondering:
Has it always looked the way it appears now and the way I recall it is only a false memory?
I'm no scientist and I'm the first to admit I know not very much science in general either, but has something changed in the atmosphere maybe, which could make the sun appear white where it once seemed to appear more yellow?
Or is it as simple as the changes in a persons eyesight as they get older and the way we process light maybe that could account for the way the sun seems to look different to some of us as we age?
I've felt unsettled by all this in a way I can't explain. I think it was just the shock of realising that something so important, so vital, appears to have shifted and changed when I was not looking and not knowing if the change has occurred inside or outside of myself, if that makes sense.

Or maybe theres another very simple explanation, and I've just missed it?

Back