• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

May well have been that or, as someone else posted above, I could well have mixed I Dream of Jeannie up with Bewitched - another 60s sit-com about a bemused middle-class American man trying to cope with living with an attractive blonde woman who possessed supernatural powers.
Kinda reinforces my view that every instance of the ME stems from nothing more spooky than imperfect recollections.
Now you're sounding like Stephen Colbert criticizing CNN's story about Satanism:
Just one problem. That picture they showed isn’t Satan, it’s the Balrog, from the 1977 Lord of the Rings calendar. ... Now devils and balrogs are totally different. Devils are angels who refuse to serve God, and followed Satan into hell. Balrogs are Maiar who refused to serve Eru and instead followed Morgoth into Thangorodrim.

I just Googled under the terms “Kerry Katona naked page 3” (purely for research purposes, obvs). It didn’t take long to find a B&W photo consistent with a Sun-type shoot, and showing her of an apparently appropriate age.

My theory is that she is tiptoeing around the only revelation more embarrassing than admitting that she once posed topless for a tabloid: that she posed topless for a tabloid and they decided not to use the pics...

maximus otter
She has done some very recent topless shoots as well

I just had the Mandela Effect happen to me. I was watching this hot Indian woman jog round the park. On her 3rd lap she had turned white. I thought must be a different lass. She was hot too. But no it was her she had exact same clothes and tatoos. Then she did a 4th lap still white.

I just had the Mandela Effect happen to me. I was watching this hot Indian woman jog round the park. On her 3rd lap she had turned white. I thought must be a different lass. She was hot too. But no it was her she had exact same clothes and tatoos. Then she did a 4th lap still white.
Hot? In this weather?
Maybe your first view of her was a misperception?

Another example - like Sinatra's plane crashing mother - of an historic event of such note found in a mere footnote that it's hard to imagine you wouldn't have surely heard of it before now if someone hasnt been meddling with the timeline.

Martin Luther King's mother was also assassinated, 6 years after he was.

Say what now?!
Say yes now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210302-100943.png
    Screenshot_20210302-100943.png
    250.9 KB · Views: 23

In the next town on my bike ride I stopped to talk to an acquaintance. There are cherry blossom trees along the fence behind her garden and she swears that last year they were white when they'd always bloomed pink before. Nobody but she remember this!

The Pink Farmhouse

Reassuring Donna that I was indeed correct on this, it was suggested we unearth those old photos.

Eventually unveiled, they did confirm that the farmhouse had, in earlier times, been painted...

... white.

NO IT WASN'T!!! Distinctly and memorably PINK.

Would have sworn an oath on this.
Was speaking to Donna on the phone last night and we were talking about false memories.

I brought this up as an example, recalling my mistaken belief about the colour.

'That's right dad, you thought it was white and it was pink'...

Presuming a misunderstanding, I explained it was the other way around.

'No dad, it was pink'... and says to her long-standing partner... 'you remember us both helping to paint it pink'...

Said I would try to relocate this thread.

Now I am utterly confused... :huh:

Hmmmmm ... :thought:

It would seem to suggest either of two things - neither of which is trivial ...

(1) You have experienced a Mandela'd Mandela Effect (aka Double Mandela; Mandela Squared; Recursively Wrecked Recall) - i.e., a false memory of a prior false memory event. If it becomes continuously self-referential it could metastasize into the much more ominous Infinite Mandeloop.

(2) Quite possibly as a result of the long theorized but never unequivocally observed phenomenon of Quantum Disentanglement your prior Mandela error was inverted or reversed to align verifiable historical facts with what was once no more than your personal delusion. Once your delusion becomes a matter of record there's no conceivable way to revert the transformation. This rare ontological glitch is difficult to distinguish as something other than the more common and more benign state of having been correct in the first place.

It would seem to suggest either of two things - neither of which is trivial
You have so eloquently expressed the conundrum.

We were talking about false memories and I mentioned there was a name for it, which damned if I could remember!

So, I recalled the pink farmhouse example and said would look up the thread name.

'That's right dad, you thought it was white instead of pink'...

No... other way around, I explained.

I can hear Donna asking her partner, 'you remember us helping to paint it pink, don't you'...

No.... just no way!!!

Shall obviously speak with her soon as - need to resolve...

Thought my hospital experience was end of the Twilight Zone for this week...

Shall obviously speak with her soon as - need to resolve...
Spoke to Donna this morning.

Her involvement with painting said farmhouse was a misunderstanding - she had spoken about someone else painting it and I misheard.

Her recollection is indeed entirely the opposite from that which was documented in my original post!

Explaining the dilemma this now posed, after some further thought Donna is no longer sure, however, still believes she is correct!

What a strange thing to happen.

Minor Mandela in play for me here. I saw @uair01 posting in the WTF thread as follows:
And I thought that's surely an homage to the Natural History of Ireland's chapter on snakes, which - I would have staked larger fractions of bitcoin on - read in toto "There are no snakes on the island of Ireland". I was pretty certain Tristram Shandy makes reference to it. Plus, courtesy of St Patrick, it's a perfectly sound claim to make.

Turns out it is a paraphrase of chapter seventy-odd of Horrebow's natural history of Iceland (with the duly switched country name). All these years... On the plus side, I was only one letter away. And the English translation is more or less contemporaneous with Sterne.

I had my own little Mandela moment listening to the radio a few days ago. The song "Tell it to My Heart" came on and I immediately thought of the artist who sang it. My recollection of band and artist names is a (sort of) "party piece" for me.

When it was over, the DJ gave a similar sounding name but not the one I had in my head. I chuckled and thought he'd made a mess of pronouncing it. But then I looked at the radio and the channel information showed the name and artist. Sure enough, it was his name that was correct. I was baffled and I am still confused as I knew with 100% certainty that I had the correct name in my head.

What names comes to your mind (before you open the spoiler)?

I was sure she was called Taylor DEAN but it turns out that she's called Taylor DAYNE

I thought it was
Taylor Dayne.
Because that was her name. She also had massive hair. Maybe you were mixed up with Hazel Dean? Who did not have massive hair.

I had my own little Mandela moment listening to the radio a few days ago. The song "Tell it to My Heart" came on and I immediately thought of the artist who sang it. My recollection of band and artist names is a (sort of) "party piece" for me.

When it was over, the DJ gave a similar sounding name but not the one I had in my head. I chuckled and thought he'd made a mess of pronouncing it. But then I looked at the radio and the channel information showed the name and artist. Sure enough, it was his name that was correct. I was baffled and I am still confused as I knew with 100% certainty that I had the correct name in my head.

I remember the same name as the DJ.

I'm really only typing this to say how much I love the new fuzzy spoiler effect!

What names comes to your mind (before you open the spoiler)?

I was sure she was called Taylor DEAN but it turns out that she's called Taylor DAYNE
Taylor Dane.
(Oh I got the spelling wrong but the name right.)

I have a clear memory that her name is and always was Taylor Dayne. "Tell It to My Heart" was recorded only about a mile from the house I was living in at the time, so I guess I have a stronger memory of the local girl having a hit. Her real name is Leslie Wunderman, which I think is just as good for show biz. Go figure.

Just to go back to a couple of earlier instances of the effect, way back at the start of this thread.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the widely publicised release of Attenborough’s film ‘Biko’ is contemporary with the timeframe in which people are recalling the premature death of Mandela. I think hazy memories are perhaps blurring visuals from the film, or glimpsed scenes from the trailer.
On the topic of Tom Cruise jumping up and down like a loon on Oprah Winfrey’s sofa, it may have been very brief, but it was widely lampooned. I suspect the image of various comedians spoofing Cruise’s erratic behaviour is what people now have in mind.

Had a faux 'Mandela moment' recently on hearing Art Garfunkel singing 'Breakaway'.
I thought 'old on, didn't Gallagher and Lyle do that? Sounds exactly the same, easy mistake to make!

It was indeed also recorded by Gallagher and Lyle, who wrote it. Garfunkel's version has harmonies sung by David Crosby and Graham Nash.
Yup, sounds the same.

(While Gallagher and Lyle's version didn't do brilliantly, I liked it and may have bought it. The singing is pleasant and the concept amusing: she's 'ad enough of'im and she's orf. Been there, done that.)

Glanced at a glossy map of the British isles and was confounded to discover besides the North Sea and the Irish Sea we are bounded by the Celtic Sea. How on earth have I lived half a century without even once hearing that term?!View attachment 41769
Because most people don't call it that, or even recognize it as a distinct sea. As Wikipedia says about the name:
It was adopted in France before being common in the English-speaking countries; in 1957 Édouard Le Danois wrote, "the name Celtic Sea is hardly known even to oceanographers." It was adopted by marine biologists and oceanographers, and later by petroleum exploration firms. It is named in a 1963 British atlas, but a 1972 article states "what British maps call the Western Approaches, and what the oil industry calls the Celtic Sea [...] certainly the residents on the western coast [of Great Britain] don't refer to it as such."

Back